Sign in to follow this  
ian neller

Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Re: The Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

New kits revealed and they are looking very nice :)

Especially the away kit!

Lots of transfer news. Especially this:

Tottenham Hotspur have made contact with Barcelona about the availability and asking price of Samuel Eto'o for next season and have been told that he can be theirs for 35million euros, according to a report.

Marca state that Barca have been receptive to Spurs' enquiry and will now wait and see what the English team's opening gambit is regarding price.

Juande Ramos was quoted as saying that if his club want to compete with the top four then they would have to sign the best players, like Luka Modric and Eto'o, and now appears to have followed up on that statement by making an enquiry.

Barcelona are set for a summer of sweeping changes and could be prepared to offload any number of stars in order to finance a rebuilding programme that will mean at least ten players going.

Eto'o has stated recently that he would leave next summer if the club endured a third season without a trophy, but the attraction of a move to the Premier League may help Tottenham's cause a year early.

With Frank Rijkaard looking likely to leave, the big names from Barca's Champions League triumph two seasons ago are also said to be on the way out with Ronaldinho and Deco, among others, to be offered to other clubs.

While Eto'o's name had not been highlighted before by the Catalan press as one to leave, a large bid from Tottenham could certainly have them working out how viable it would be to keep him.

The former Real Madrid forward is no stranger to interest from the North London outfit as he was expected to join them from Real Mallorca 12 months before moving to Camp Nou and he even dedicated a goal to the club's fans.

Spurs' interest in Eto'o could further cast a doubt over the long-term future of star forward Dimitar Berbatov - who continues to be linked with a big-money summer move.

Its been a while since anyone posted on this thread so lets get it going again. I want it active with debates :D

I mean come on guys, even the Newcastle thread is getting more action, now thats embarassing ;)

So we have signed Luka Modric, Giovanni Dos Santos, and have basically signed Gomes in the bigger side of transfers in.

Ramos looks set to sign Bentley whatever the cost and we are also in some sort or were in negotiations for Diego Capel before that deal broke down.

Were looking at signing some amazing players and could well with a team like that be hitting the top 5 again next season imo.

So Bentley is subject to the fee's being arranged, Villa are trying to get in on him and take him away from us but I cant see that happening. Bentley apparently only wanted to leave for Liverpool at the start of the summer but im confident that with the whole manager issue's and the way Ramos talks about how Spurs are going to hit the big time im sure we could attract alot of players to the club.

Capel was an agreed deal, we were going to buy out his release clause and we agreed to all of his demands and then we dont agree to pay 3-4m more in fee's for something or rather and we pull the plug :confused: Not happy with that at all as we need a left winger and Capel is a huge talent. So hopefully we will still pull the deal.

Berbatov is linked with Manchester United and let's be honest if Ramos' signings and his motivated attitude to take Spurs to the big time wont convince him to stay then nothing will. Berba is a whole different gravy ;) and deserves the best and with United he can do it all, but I hope he stay's because we can really hit the big time.

I would rather wear an Arsenal shirt for a season then sell Keane. Liverpool have really annoyed me in this saga and they havent really done anything lol. Keane is a life long Liverpool fan like most of Ireland lol and we know if they come up with the 20m for him then he is probably going to go. He seem's to have Spurs in his heart but any player would leave for a life long ambition to play for a club.

So lets hope Liverpool cant get the funds and buy Barry instead so that they cannot afford Keano :D

In the papers and Ramos has also noted in the past he will not hesitate to sell players not up to a top 5 standard of talent in the premiership. A paper recently listed a full team of 11 players and 5 subs that Ramos has apparently lined up to sell. So im very much looking forward to see these players move on and see what Ramos does with his money raised from selling these players.

If we have to sell players such as Berba, Keane, Dawson, Im very interested in seeing who comes in. I really think that it is going to be a big turn around and really put Spurs on the map.

One thing I dont want to see is a Benitez style revolution where we just buy players from Spain lol.

great......

Chairman speaks out:

There has been substantial speculation in respect of the futures of Dimitar Berbatov and Robbie Keane, including press comment from both Sir Alex Ferguson and Rafa Benitez. In response our Chairman, Daniel Levy has made the following statement:

"Today's public comments by Manchester United's manager, announcing that he has made an offer for Dimitar and is confident that the deal will go through with time working in their favour, is a blatant example of sheer arrogance and interference with one of our players. It is also probably one of the worst offences by any manager in the Premier League to date and is unbelievably hypocritical given his recent comments in respect of Cristiano Ronaldo and Real Madrid.

"This comes after a series of events, dating back to last summer, which have shown Manchester United to be in breach of Premier League (PL) rules. As a result, we have today made an official complaint to the PL about the conduct of Manchester United. Benitez made similar comments in respect of Robbie recently and we made an official complaint to the PL about the conduct of Liverpool earlier this week.

"The behaviour of both clubs has been disgraceful. We told both clubs very early on that we had no interest in selling Robbie or Dimitar, respectively, and that they should refrain from pursuing the player. Both clubs arrogantly chose to ignore this request and we now have evidence that both clubs have systematically been working to prise the players away from us, outside of PL rules of conduct.

"Our subsequent position has been severely compromised by both clubs making their intentions widely known and indeed making contact with the players and their agents, without the Club's permission.

"I have absolutely no wish to sell either player and to date we have not accepted any offer for either. However, when a player's head is turned and their commitment is absent, particularly when they occupy key positions such as that of striker, they become a negative influence in a team dressing room in which they were once a positive addition and influence. This is the situation we now have on our hands, with both Dimitar and Robbie having made it clear that they wish to leave for Manchester Utd and Liverpool respectively.

"Irrespective of the outcome and futures of Robbie and Dimitar, we are continuing to seek to bring in quality, talented players for the future, who want to play in a Spurs shirt."

Now Berbatov i can understand he's wanted to go for ages, but for Keane to suddenly do the dirty on us is outrageous IMO, it wasn't so long ago that he said he wanted to end his career at Spurs, as soon as a big club come in however, he's off.

if we are not careful we will be labelled a feeder club for the big 4. How do we expect to break the Monopoly if we sell our best players to them!

Loyalty means nothing these days, the soul of football is being destroyed.

Your board will demonise the players and rival clubs in order to keep in favour with the fans. This way the fans aren't questioning why the club are letting their best players leave. If the board were worth their salt they would stand firm like we are with Cristiano.

Whats with Tottenham offloading 4 players to Sunderland? I mean, Tainio and Kaboul were useless, but Malbranque was top left mid for Spurs and Chimbonda covered at left back. Also Kaboul said he wouldnt be seen dead in Sunderland. He'll go down well at the Stadium of Light. :rolleyes:

Guest melbguy1

Your board will demonise the players and rival clubs in order to keep in favour with the fans. This way the fans aren't questioning why the club are letting their best players leave. If the board were worth their salt they would stand firm like we are with Cristiano.

I don't think Tottenham have anywhere near the power over a player like Man U does.... which is half the point. So no, I don't agree with that, compare apples with apples.

Man Utd might be standing firm but only because Ronaldo is not making a massive fuss, if he does infact resfuse to play and really kicks up a stink Man Utd WILL sell him they will not let him rot in the reserves as Fergie claims.

I thought making the statement spurs have is them trying to stand firm against LFC and Man Utd, I dont see much more they can do tbh.

Spurs have reported Man Utd just like Man Utd reported Madrid not much more they can do, and if Berbs or Keane do what I suggested above then they will also be sold, clubs in the end unless they have millions to throw away have no choice but to just get the best deal they can.

Liverpool have done the same with Barry, Villa have stood firm and just tried getting the price up and up, LFC seem to have given up now but once again if Barry himself refused to ever play for the club again Villa would have accepted one of the offers.

its all player power now a days im affraid, but when Rafa, Fergie and co complain when teams try and poach our players they are surely having a laugh.

Perhaps surprisingly I am more disappointed about Kaboul and Tainio being packed off.

Tainio, whilst not an exciting player, has always been pretty steady and he never does much to annoy me. A good backup only though, so not surprised to see him go as not going to ever be first team for Spurs really.

Kaboul, whilst shocking in parts last season, was still only in his first season for Spurs and the confidence of the side was shot to pieces for many of the games he played in. Robinson was a bit of a ruin in patches and it doesn't breed confidence in the back line if you have someone crumbling behind you. He is still sooo young and was one for the future I thought but got rushed in I think. Loaning him out would be better, let him learn and mess up elsewhere. :D

Malbranque we signed injured which I thought at the time was a bad idea as carried a big risk. He generally improved I thought as his time went on with us, but has never really peaked and seems to disappear at times. Not too bothered he is going. We need a pacey winger to balance us, someone who stays wide and stretches defenders and can cross, not someone who cuts inside.

Chimbo showed some shockingly bad attitude at times last season. The incident eludes my memory now, but I remember thinking "Ramos won't stand for that" and was surprised he played again at all. I think Ramos will only have team players and good trainers so someone like Chimbonda/Ramos always looked like a potential clash.

Berbatov is another whose attitude stinks. £30m is good money for him, more than twice paid, and I don't think this makes us a feeder club. I think he will consider himself too big for Man Utd within a season or two, but if anyone can make him consistently superb I guess it is Fergie. Who will Man Utd play up front? I thought Tevez and Rooney were pretty much first choice when fit....and I don't think Berbs will be content with rotation. Don't like us selling our best but everyone has their price, and he looked disinterested in playing for us for the majority of last season. I am not kidding myself, he is quality on his day and will be sad if, and more likely WHEN, he goes.

Keano...gutted. Apparently he is a pool fan, and £20m or so if probably too good to turn down. Not sure he is the sort of player to fit the style Ramos usually plays and is likely to play.

Still, exciting season ahead. Should be different to last season in terms of style, players... and hopefully results.

Maybe Eto'o will sign if we flog our strikers, but I would be less surprised to see Spurs sign a less famous player; someone on the up or dwelling in a less fashionable league perhaps.

Im happy to see Levy standing firm and making it more public then how the Barry stuff came about.

I can take Berba going for 30m+ he wants more then he thinks Spurs will offer even with our great signings.

Keane goes and I will be so annoyed it will be unbelievable lol, I would vow to hate Liverpool almost as much as Arsenal :)

But if we sell Berba hopefully that means with other sales we see:

Bentley

Capel

Eto'o

All join and then whoever else with money raised from the 16 players Ramos feels need selling and replacing.

Clear some transfers up.

Tainio to Sunderland

Robbo to Blackburn

Wish both of them all the best' date=' and both have always done their best and worn the shirt with pride[/quote']

Following these transfers we can expect to see Kaboul move to Pompy, Sunderland or Villa, I presume that Pompy will be the destination for him.

Chimbo has moved to Sunderland.

I expect that Malbranque will also head to Sunderland.

Gomes work permit is soon to be prosessed though as far as I know. Keane looks set to leave :( but Berba isnt a cert for me. But if we sign Bentley, Huntelaar and Arshavin and Keane, Kaboul, Malbranque leave possibly a few others then I wouldnt be too upset with Keane's departure.

I also hope to see more players arrive that havent been too highly linked seeing that we are selling many players.

without causing a massive argument here, and believe me that isnt my inntentions, How on earth are Tottenham being linked with some of these players, i mean, what have they done in the last 15 years ? to my knowledge, not enough to be linked with Villa or some of the players that might end up going to them ?

They have alwys been like this, even linked to Ronaldo when he was awesome before he got fat lol !

Im baffled to be honest . . :D:o

The Spurs thread is getting some action and its not even from another Spurs fan, im ashamed! :o

I dont know what it is really, Ronaldo said he wanted to bring a small team in a big league to the top and prove he was that good but that never happened.

Alot of players I now believe would join us because of Juande, he seems like a real insperational character and someone who can talk any player in to a move.

What I saw in the paper today was that Spurs are the second biggest spenders in the premiership after United since 2005 - the present time proving that we have a committed team to compete with other sides.

This year the only other more commited prem team for me is Sunderland who with the Quinn / Keane relationship are going to be a real good side next season imo. Spending money and time to put Sunderland on the map, I would probably say they will be better then Newcastle, who's fans like Spurs expect alot but Spurs have a committed board and staff team where I see Newcastle to be a useless board with a 'club legend' trying to some how get a mid table team at best in the top 4.

I just think its all down to the committment from the board and staff really.

I think your spending is a massive factor, to be honest, i presume it shows that they are a club willing to spend to get places, then on top of that you have a great manager, from a foreign country more importantly, where he is highly respected by players and has links over there, but still, some of the names being linked with you must even shock you lol

I agree that the manager being spanish and the links in spain as well as the money are big factor's but they are factor's coming from the board which are influenced by the big signing of Juande Ramos and the board's committment to do well by pumping this cash into the club.

I am suprised to be linked with Eto'o but Villa I am not as he doesnt want to stay at Valencia all his career, and although he has said he would prefer to stay in Spain with Madrid or Barca but apparently his agent wants Spurs to make the offer too which instantly told me his agent wants Villa to star in the prem and his agent obviously knows that Spurs will provide him with a bigger contract too, just as its seem's prem teams have more cash for contracts compared to the rest of the world.

Im suprised that say Mods and Dos Santos prefered to quickly join us and not wait for others, apparently Chelsea were rejected by Dos, for us and I presume Arsenal would have bidded for Mods if he waiting so that was obviously the Ramos factor as they are all prem clubs.

Can someone tell me, with the signing of David Bentley, whats gonna happen to Lennon. They both play the same side and are skilled in roughly the same areas.

Also, with the impending transfer of Andrei Arshavin, who's an AM/F, whats gonna happen with Modric and Dos Santos, who also play that position? Modric got his first goal last night and Dos Santos had a hand in all 5 v Leyton orient, so I would find it a bit unfair if they are just bench-warmers next season. I used to like Tottenham and in previous seasons have been willing them on to break into the top four at the expense of the Gooners, but with so many changes in and out, and with more detined to come, (Luis Garcia, Arshavin, Pavlyuchenko) I think they are gonna spend another season in mid table.

Well, to be fair, Lennon is god awful so couldn't care if he plays or not. I don't think Luis Garcia is going to happen, though I do think Pavlyuchenko may join.

But anyway, Ramos is expected to play a 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1, as he likes to play with one up front. I think something like this is likely if everyone is fit (and not sold):

------------------Gomes-------------------

-------------------------------------------

Hutton------- King-----Woodgate ---Gilberto

Bentley-----Modric----Dos Santos-------Bale

------------Arshavin-----------------------

----------------------Berbatov-------------

I have no place for Jenas and Lennon in lineup, and yes, and that is intentional :D

I don't think that this looks like a team destined for mid table. Good blend of experience and some great talents.

Dos Santos in CM?

I think this may be more likely:

.................Gomes..............

Hutton....Woody....King....Bale

.............Modric....Jenas.......

Bentley........Arshavin.......GDS

....................Bent...............

I think Berbatov might stay, but it's unlikely IMO, and I think that team can easily stand up to the top 4.

Agree that Dos Santos isn't a CM. Personally I'd have him winger or just behind a lone forward. Although I do agree that Bale is more likely to start on the wing with Gilberto in Defense. I predict this as the starting XI:

.................Gomes......................

Hutton....Woodgate....King......Gilberto

Bentley.............Jenas..............Bale

...........Arshavin..........Gio.............

............Bent/(Pavlechenko)?..............

Players signed past 6 months

Only problem for me is with all the new players will the team gel in time.

Bent has been awesome lol, 7 in 3 days and 2 games I believe :eek:

I can still see Berba leaving and if he does we get another 30m to spend.

Pavy imo doesnt have the potential to be in a champo league team from England, we would either use GDS in the AM/F role or get someone else too.

-----------------Gomes

Hutton------King--------Woody------Bale

Bentley-----Modric-----Jenas-------Capel / GDS

------------Arshavin / GDS

----------------------Bent / Pavy / GDS

That is if we sold Berba and if we did we would also sign a CB or two and possibly Albelda for a steal at under 2m.

With Berba we wouldnt get Capel and would have to have GDS left and Lennon rotating the wings.