Sign in to follow this  
Nico66

GC308 - Queens Park's Quest

I took over Queens Park in this GW at the beginning of the season with the aim of taking the Scottish 4th Division club back to their former glory and challenging Glasgow rivals Rangers & Celtic for the SPL crown.

I originally started this blog on the GC308 thread but I decided to start my own. I have added a link to the history so far in case anyone wants to see how things have gone.

http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?t=154172

Positive news to date are:

1. With one match left to the mid-season friendly break we are currently top of the division with a 15 point lead.

2. Cheikh Diarra has been the key to our success. I signed him from French club Rennes and also ended up bringing a cute Romanian girl back as well. She is now the club secretary until the end of the season.

3. Petros Mandalos is the club captain and has also been instrumental in our success so far.

4. I practically replaced the entire squad as there few, if any, prospects in the original team.

5. I received a Swan White teasmade from my Chairman as a reward for 10 victories in a row.

With the team I have now we are, without doubt, stronger than our rival teams in the division and so our success is not too surprising. However, the long term vision I have for this team is to take them to the Scottish Premier league and hopefully win a place in one of the SMFA competitions.

This thread will chart our journey along with the ups and downs and general goings on at the club.

Re: GC308 - Queens Park's Quest

Queens Park outclassed Arbroath and beat them 3 - 0 in their Division 4 fixture.

Diarra scored a brace and was later voted Man of the Match for his performance.

Another excellent display from Cheikh Diarra sees us reach the mid-season break unbeaten. Our dominance in this Division gives me great confidence that we have a squad that will be more than capable of competing in the higher divisions.

No competitive football now for 10 days but this weekend we are travelling to Stamford Bridge for a friendly against Chelsea. It will be nice for my players to see some decent weather for once plus even a friendly against a top club like Chelsea will seem like a cup final for my young team.

I haven't decided on tactics yet but I will probably give some of my fringe players a run out to see how they cope.

Our Chairman, as ever in touch with his Scottish roots, has refused to cough up for a luxury team bus for the journey and has hired two Hertz rental vans instead. He is going to drive one and I suppose I will have to drive the other. He did splash out on a few crates of Tennents for the lads to drink on the way down though,, bless him.

Trudl, our club secretary, is coming along too for a day out at the big city. I need her to pop into Harrods to get me some calomile tea for the old teasmade. That stuff I got from Sri Lanka makes me f@rt too much.

Queens Park slumped to a 3 - 1 defeat to Chelsea in their Friendly fixture

Not a bad result for our 78 rated team against 91 rated Chelsea. Not surprisingly we lost but I was pleased at the spirited performance the lads put in. Would have been a great experience for my youngsters playing against the likes of Hazard, Mata & Arteta & co....

We managed to get more shots in than they did despite our key striker, Cheikh Diarra, losing his head and getting sent off for two bookings. Fortunately skipper Petros 'the Greek' Mandalos kept his and scored a well deserved consolation goal for us.

The Chairman spent the entire game in the Chelsea Directors Executive box after being invited up there by Roman Abramovich, which turned out to be a huge mistake.

When we met him in the car park after the game he was completely ratted, still clutching a bottle of Remy Martin and singing renditions of "Blue is the Colour".

Clearly in no fit state to drive home we bundled him into the back of my van and I gave his keys to Petros to drive home with strict instructions to follow me round the M25 and onto the A1(M). That also turned out to be a big mistake.

Somehow he managed to take a wrong exit and ended up on the M1 instead & I haven't seen them since. Last I heard they had abandoned the Rental Van in a layby and gone on a pub crawl around Hemel Hempstead.

Great,,, got Brazilian side Bragantino arriving for the next friendly on Wednesday and I've got half a team and a hungover Chairman. Plus Trudl couldn't find any Calomile tea in Harrods and got me some other stuff that has made my flatulence worse.

All in all a pretty flooked up weekend.

Well the second half of my team finally showed up! Just in time for tonight's match against Brazil.

Those players that went on the bar crawl have been fined a weeks wages.

As further punishment, skipper Petros will sit tonight's game out on the bench. Eunan O'Kane will take up the armband instead.

As for the chairman, his wife dealt with him.

Queens Park slumped to a 2 - 1 defeat against CA Bragantino in their Friendly fixture.

We dominated the first half after an early Cheikh Diarra strike but, following the break, the Brazilians came out stronger and eventaully ran out winners.

The Chairman's idea of offering a free shot of Sangria at half time clearly paid off as almost 10,000 fans turned up to watch the match,,, compared to our normal gate of 500 or so....

I haven't the heart to tell him that we don't get paid any gate receipts for friendly matches.

Back to real business at the weekend with a visit to Annan Athletic.

Queen's Park outclassed Annan Athletic and beat them 3 - 0 in their Division 4 fixture.

Zuber scored a brace and was later voted Man of the Match for his performance

Back to our winning ways with a good win over Annan in a match that we completely dominated from start to finish.

Michal Zuber is our lowest rated forward but his consistent performances are keeping him in the starting XI and he fully deserved his MOTM award.

Skipper Petros made one of the assists. But then he makes everything around here,,, including the half-time sandwiches....

A convincing 3-0 home win against Montrose last night. Chiekh Diarra scoring yet again and winning another MOTM award. Strike partner Petar Misic doing his usual business with 2 assists. Michal Zubar scores again to keep his place in the starting line-up.

Just noticed that we always have a home crowd of 516. I wonder if it is the same 516 fans that show up each time?

Considering Hampden Park has a capacity of 50,000+ I could possibly be the only manager on SM that would like a stadium downsize rather than an upgrade.

Queens Park demolished Berwick Rangers 6 - 0 last night.

Petros Mandalos scored twice either side of half time and Chiekh Diarra added to his already impressive strike rate with a third goal that sealed the game before the 60th minute.

Made a reshuffle after that and brought on Dan Blij, who handed the luckless Berwick keeper (won't mention his name to avoid embarrassment) his ar$e firmly on a plate by scoring a sensational hat-trick within 4 minutes!

To make the Chairman even happier an extra 22 supporters turned up for the match than usual. Three of them were Japanese tourists that had confused Hampden Park for a shopping prescinct and thought there might be a Burger King inside but it's still progress...

Next up is an away match at Elgin City and then we have another 10 day match break.

Apologies for not having written much here lately but things have not being going so well at Hampden Park lately.

First off my two Dutch Jeffrey's,, Buitenhuis & Rijsdijk, got together and slapped in concerns about lack of games because, apparently, they can pick a better side than I can.

Secondly we slumped to our first league defeat against Brechin City at the weekend.

Lastly, Trudl, the club secretary, has only gone & got herself pregnant. The Scottish immigration people have therefore revoked her work permit and are deporting her back to Romania at the end of the month.

At the moment she isn't saying who the Father is,,,, but my Lawyers have told me to deny everything.

Queen's Park beat Stirling Albion 1 - 0 in their Division 4 fixture.

Dyakov had an impressive game and was voted Man of the Match.

Zuber was on the scoresheet for his side.

Following Cheikh Diarra's suspension, Michal Zuber was recalled to lead the line and caused the Stirling defence havoc all night, bagging the winning goal in the 48th minute.

Next match we are away at Stenhousemuir but we will be putting out a reserve side for that game because on Monday evening we have a corker of a cup tie against none other than Rangers at Ibrox. So we will be resting the first team to ensure maximum fitness and no injuries. Eunan O'Kane will take up the arm band against Stenhousemuir.

We are well chuffed to have drawn a club like Rangers in the cup and the Chairman is even more pleased. Ibrox is just down the road so he thinks he can save money on a team bus by telling the lads they can walk there like everyone else.

Talking of finances, after having a discussion with the Chairman we have agreed to sell Vitaliy Djakov back to his former club, Rostov, for a record fee of 6.4m. The Russian outfit made a bid last week and, after alot of deliberation, we feel it is the best thing all round. Djakov gets a return to top flight football and as we only paid 950k for him it's a great bit of business for a Div 4 Scottish club like us. We will be sorry to see him go however, and wish him all the best.

In other news Dejan Janjatovic has been placed on the transfer list for 7m. With other players coming through we feel it is the right time to cash in on the midfielder and to use the money to start strengthening our squad for next season.

Still looking for a club secretary though. I have been visiting all the sleazy places I can find in Glasgow but so far haven't found a suitable candidate. I will keep looking though...

Stenhousemuir 2 Queens Park 1

Not surprisingly the reserve team lost.

After the match I told the players that's exactly why they are in the 'Reserve' team...

Never mind, we have our eyes on our big cup match at Ibrox tomorrow night.

Rangers must be confident of winning as they put out a full strength side in their 5-4 win over St. Mirren, picking up an injury to their midfield maestro, Bakaye Traore, in the process.

I called Ally McCoist earlier to ask if he is going to stick with his 3-3-4 formation but he said something like "Ah dinna ken ya wee fanny, so ya ken pesh off"...

I didn't do scottish when I was at school but I assume he meant that he is not willing to divulge tactical information prior to the match... Right???

Queen's Park beat Rangers 3 - 0 in their Scottish Cup Round 2 fixture

Glasgow was once again stunned into silence last night as Division 4 minnows, Queens Park, dominated the football headlines with a sensational victory over rivals & tournament favourites, Rangers.

This is a fantastic night for the club. By far the biggest game of our season and I am delighted to have won. Full credit to Rangers fans, the stadium was jammed packed and my team have never been booed or jeered by so many people all at the same time before. I just said to the lads, just knuckle down and do what you do well and enjoy the occasion..

Dan Blij shocked the home crowd with the opening goal in the 34th minute but we were glad to go in at half time after a bit of late pressure.

In the second half we gave away a penalty but David Nilsson makes a fantastic save. A minute later the marvelous Mandalos curls a sublime free-kick into the top corner to silence Ibrox into disbelief.

Vardan Bakalyan comes off the bench to make it 3-0. A fitting farewell for him as this will be his last match for Queens Park before he completes his transfer to FC Pyunik for just under £1m.

The Chairman was over moon and gave MOTM, David Nilsson, a ride home in his Jag as a reward for saving the penalty but the rest of us still enjoyed the walk home.

Commiserations to Ally McCoist, who must have been gutted & was found this morning sleeping under a pile of other drunks in the Asda car-park, just off Paisley Road.

Celtic also sacked their manager despite them being consolidated at the top of Division 1.

I'm surprised I wasn't offered their job, but nothing could make me walk away from here right now

Next round we have another difficult task away at yet another SPL side, Hearts. But we will be celebrating this win for a few days to come....

Queen's Park outclassed Albion Rovers and beat them 6 - 2 in a thrilling Division 4 encounter

No cup hangover for us!!

An impressive victory with Dan Blij picking up man of the match award. His link up play with Petar Misic has become a dominant feature in our games recently.

Danny Handling scored his first goal for the club since his recent arrival from second division Hibernian. Unfortunately he picked up a minor injury as well.

Next match is away to 2nd place Arbroath.

Queen's Park thrashed Arbroath 7-0 in their Division 4 encounter

The boys went on a turkey shoot last night against Second place Arbroath, breaking yet another club record.

Skipper Petros Mandalos put in a sublime performance and killed the game off in the first 10 minutes with 2 goals. But it was the phenomenal Chiekh Diarra that took yet another man of the match award and another goal that makes him joint top scorer in the league. I'm surprised that some of the big EPL teams aren't making enquiries about him. Maybe they don't know the international dialling code for Scotland?

By the way, we have finally appointed a new club secretary following the deportation of the lovely Trudl.

Actually it's the chairman's 19 year old daughter, Colleen. He is so sick of her lounging around at home complaining that it's too far to walk to the job centre that he gave her the job.

Nice girl but practically useless though. Yesterday she spent the whole day at her desk making effigies of her Father out of blu-tac and paper clips and I don't like the way she winks at me every time she asks if she can use my dictophone.

Nicholas Fursse steered Queen's Park to victory against Elgin City.

Queen's Park outclassed Elgin City and thrashed them 5 - 0 in their Division 4 fixture.

Diarra scored a brace and was later voted Man of the Match for his performance.

Zuber and Rijsdijk were also amongst the goalscorers.

A record breaking home crowd saw Queens Park wrap up the Scottish 4th Division championship with 7 games to spare in emphatic style at the weekend after beating Elgin City 5-0.

Elgin had frustrated the league leaders throughout the match but, on 60 mins, Petar Misic came on and changed the face of the game. Within 8 minutes he created the opening goal and went on to notch up two more assists as strikers Chiekh Diarra & Michal Zuber went on the rampage to grab 2 further goals apiece.

At the end of the game we caught up with the manager.

Reporter -

Well first to you, Nicholas. You must be extremely satisfied at wrapping up promotion this early in the season and winning your first trophy?
yes, of course, I am thrilled for the club, for the players, but most of all for the fans. It's a fantastic achievement.

Reporter -

Elgin almost spoiled the party for you though and made it a tough game?
For sure, full credit to them. They coped with everything we threw at them and even looked like taking the lead at one time but when we brought Petar Misic on he was in a different dimension. A class act that has been instrumental in our success this season.

Reporter -

Promotion to Division 3 in your first season in charge was, it's no secret, your remit from the club. But what helped you bring about this success?
Well of course, it is no secret that the board had made available a considerable sum of money to achieve their ambitions and I accept that gave us a huge advantage over our rival teams. However, it was made clear to me that this money was a loan rather than an investment. The club wanted promotion and that money back within the first season if possible.

Reporter -

What helped you achieve this do you think?
Well, some shrewd activity in the transfer market is key to the financial success of any club in a gold championship but, our goalkeeper, David Nilsson, has been instrumental in our success as have all our players. However, if I had to single out any players then it would have to be the signing from Rennes of our Malian striker, Chiekh Diarra and our club Captain, Petros Mandalos

Reporter -

Yes, Diarra has been fantastic for you. 25 goals in 23 matches and 12 man of the match awards is astounding. Best of luck for the next season & thank for speaking to us tonight

A thrilling match ended 3 - 3 between Queen's Park and Brechin City in their Division 4 encounter.

Mandalos scored a brace and was later voted Man of the Match for his performance.

Diarra was also on the scoresheet for his side.

If Brechin City were overly impressed by Queens Park winning the Division 4 championship then they certainly didn't show it at Hampden Park on Wednesday night.

Queens Park took an early 2nd minute lead through a trademark Cheikh Diarra strike but even that failed to dampen the Brechin spirits.

City quickly rallied and equalised a minute later and then proceeded to dominate the first half giving David Nilsson the hardest work out he has had all season.

At the interval the Spiders limped off looking dead & buried and 3-1 down and in desperate need of some inspiration.

After the break the tireless skipper, Petros Mandalos, gave the home crowd some hope after scoring a superb free kick but it wasn't until the 83rd minute when the much needed inspiration finally arrived in the form of Petar Misic.

Misic, who had come off the bench, continued to dominate the left flank as he has done all season and produced the perfect cross to Mandalos, which the Greek midfielder met with a bullet header to notch up his second goal, the equaliser and MOTM award.

Not a bad days work from him.....

QUEEN'S PARK REJECT 5.6M BID FOR STRIKER DIARRA

Division 4 Champions, Queen's Park, are reported to have rejected a £5.6m bid for their star striker from French club Rennes.

21 year old Cheikh Diarra joined the Spiders last April in a well publicised deal that brought the young player from the French club for a mere £780k. Since then Diarra has taken the Scottish league by storm, becoming a fans favourite and a potent striker whose tally of 38 goals in 29 matches helped guide the club to promotion.

As well as being the highest scorer in the Division Diarra also picked up an astonishing total of 15 man of the match awards.

It is seen as no surprise that the French Ligue 1 outfit offered such a huge sum for the return of their player. However, Queen's Park, under the guidance of manager Nicholas Fursse, are unlikely to part with their star player as they pursue their ambitions to reach premier league status.

... We have been expecting some interest in Cheikh after the season he has had. He is a hard worker and a prolific goal scorer but he is not for sale at any price. He has a further 2 seasons left on his contract and we are already in talks with his agent about improving his deal and we are confident that he will remain with us for the foreseeable future...

Queen's Park Manager - Nicholas Fursse

NEWS FLASH..... NEWS FLASH..... NEWS FLASH..... NEWS FLASH....

Sensational news just in suggests that Queen's Park have parted ways with manager Nicholas Fursse.

Our sources report that Fursse, who led the small Scottish side to promotion this season, failed to attend a brief training session at Hampden Park this morning fuelling rumours that he is soon to leave the club.

A spokesperson for the club refused to comment but said that a press conference will be held later.

The rumours were fuelled when Fursse tweeted on twitter that he thought the clubs chairman was a ter but wished the club all the best for the future.

The Glaswegian Times suggests that Fursse has been offered a lucrative contract to manage a Sunday League team in the Bahamas premier league following a very successful season in the Scottish league.

However, the Daily Record reports that the manager was discovered by the Chairman to be having an affair with his wife, his sister, his daughter, his cousin 3rd removed and had been spotted taking his dog for a walk in the early hours of most mornings.

We will bring you more news as the story unfolds....

NEWS UPDATE..... NEWS UPDATE.... NEWS UPDATE..... NEWS UPDATE

Scottish Football was rocked this evening with the news that Queens Park Manager, Nicholas Fursse, has departed from the club.

Earlier speculation was confirmed in the following press statement issued by Queens Park a couple of hours ago.

Queen's Park Football Club regrets to announce the resignation of it's Manager, Nicholas Fursse, earlier today. The club would like to thank Nicholas for all his efforts and professionalism throughout last season that resulted in the promotion of the club and we wish him every success in the future. We have no further comment.

Nicholas Fursse was unavailable for comment but, whilst spotted in the queue at the Benefits office in Glasgow, gave the following brief interview..

Reporter - Nicholas, we are sorry to hear that you are leaving Queen's Park but can you tell us how this so suddenly came about?

Err,,, nothing to say really. We had a pre-season board meeting and afterwards we came to a mutual agreement that we would go separate ways

Reporter - Is it true that you have been offered a job in the Bahamas?

Haha,, no, I don't think so,, but if you know of one then please let me know.

Reporter - Does your resignation have anything to do with the ex-club secretary, Trudl, getting pregnant??

No comment

Reporter - Is it true that you were having an affair with your Chairman's wife?

Oh come on. Really?? Have you seen the size of her ar$e??

Following the departure of Fursse, control of the club has been temporarily transferred to the Assistant Manager, who is widely expected to select dumb formations, sell off all the clubs assets and buy back all the worthless 67 rated players that were there to start with.