Sign in to follow this  
antondrobnjak

Help with tactics

I'm writing this thread because I'm sick of losing against improbable or ridiculous teams with improbable or ridiculous results.

Down here there is the description of my last improbable and ridiculous "big game" and the improbable and ridiculous statistics.

My team (5-4-1) 91 avg

Courtois 90;

Blaszczykowski 91, Ranocchia 90, Bonucci 91, Dante 91, Alaba 91;

Pirlo 94, Mkhitaryan 90, Fernandinho 91, Asamoah 91;

Mandzukic 91.

Tactic setup

Tackling: hard

Mentality: defensive

Attacking style: mixed

Pass: short

Tempo: slow

Pressing: own half

Play style: man behind ball, playmaker, target man.

At 75' I have changed formation and tactic with a 4-1-3-2:

Courtois;

L. Bender 90; Bonucci, Dante, Nagatomo 90;

Pirlo;

Blaszczykowski, Fernandinho, Asamoah;

Mandzukic, A. Ayew 90.

Tactic setup

Mentality: offensive

Pass: short

Tempo: slow

Pressing: all over

Play style: counter attack, tight marking, playmaker, target man.

Other team (4-2-3-1) 89 avg

D. Alves 90;

Rhodes 84 (CF put as LD), Sokratis 89, Sivok 88, Antonini 89;

T. Motta 90, Honda 90;

Boussoufa 89 (from 60' Jelavic 89), Holtby 89 (from 60' Macleod 72), Iraola 90 (RM put on the left pitch);

Gomis 90 (put as RM at 75')

Tactic setup

Mentality: generic

Pass: direct

Tempo: fast

Pressing: own half

Play style: counter attack, playmaker, target man.

Statistics:

Ball poss: 45% - 55%

Total Shots: 12 - 8

Shots on target: 5 - 3

Corner: 1 - 9

YC: 1 - 1

RC: 0 - 0

Result: 1 - 2 (1 - 0)

Goals: Pirlo 43'; Rhodes(!!!!!) 54'; Gomis(!!!) 85'.

As you see, there are a lot of improbable and ridiculous things, but I have a question only: WHY?

I don't claim to win all of the matches, and I'm not the best Soccer Manger for sure too. But it's ridicuolous to lose in this way against a managed but neglected team. It's not the first time it happens. Don't you agree?

I want to say: let me know if I have to put someone of my players out of his natural position to not lose. I believe that putting Mandzukic as a right defender and Pirlo as centre forward I would won perhaps.

P.S.: I will publish this thread till SM Dev will reply to me

Re: Ridiculous match engine - To the attention (Especially) For SM Dev

stop complaining, when your the underrated team and you win its not the match engine its your good management . i see people moaning all the time but i don't have any problems out of my 4 teams i now have the lowest position i am is 2nd so i cant see the problem .

stop complaining' date=' when your the underrated team and you win its not the match engine its your good management . i see people moaning all the time but i don't have any problems out of my 4 teams i now have the lowest position i am is 2nd so i cant see the problem .[/quote']

Dude come on ... the match engine is seriously flawed, that's common knowledge.

As an example, I lost a game against an unmanaged side that is EXTREMELY much worse then my team, I had the likes of Di Maria,Mandanda,Kroos,Feghouli,Gonalons,Coentrao etc. in the team, whilst the opposing team had an 84 as the highest rated player. Explain how it is possible for me to lose with 2-3 goals and being completely outplayed please ... when I've previously beaten said team with 5 goals ... with the same team ... same formation ... and same overall tactics ...

Riferimento: Re: Ridiculous match engine - To the attention (Especially) For SM Dev

stop complaining' date=' when your the underrated team and you win its not the match engine its your good management . i see people moaning all the time but i don't have any problems out of my 4 teams i now have the lowest position i am is 2nd so i cant see the problem .[/quote']

You contradict yourself.

You could be in truth, but I think that putting a CFwd as a RDef is not a good management, don't you agree?

yes i know that but we all share the same match engine so sometimes it works in our favor and sometimes it works against us . if i posted every time i lost a game i thought i should have won, id be a very busy person but people just need to accept the result and move on, if your swansea beats spartak moscow in the cup (just a example) was it the match engine or good management ? my point is when people win its good manangement when people lose its the match engine,

Re: Riferimento: Re: Ridiculous match engine - To the attention (Especially) For SM D

I'm sorry' date=' but I have the same difficult against teams that put players out of their natural position on the pitch and it is the first time I post my complaint. And I'd ask to you again: is a good management putting a CFwd as a RDef ?[/quote']

im not saying that it is, but your thinking like this, just because they play a player out of position you think you should automatically win .

Riferimento: Re: Riferimento: Re: Ridiculous match engine - To the attention (Especia

im not saying that it is' date=' but your thinking like this, just because they play a player out of position you think you should automatically win .[/quote']

I'm sorry, but I always have the same difficult against teams that put players out of their natural position on the pitch and it is the first time I post my complaint. And I'd ask to you again: is a good management putting a CFwd as a RDef? Why the other manager get an advantage from his bad management?

Why?

i read your tactics and the opposition and its completely plausible you lost.

you played defensive football for 75 mins, men behind the ball, slow tempo.

your not going to score many playing that way to start with.

you switched to a very offensive counter attacking tactic in the last 75mins but with slow short passing (???) and pressing all over the pitch (???) -when your players are tired/ lower % match fitness that isnt going to work.

you conceded late on probably when your team was high up the pitch trying to walk the ball into the net, and knackered from chasing the opposition all over the place, countered with the fact the opposition played fast tempo and counter attack.

Riferimento: Re: Ridiculous match engine - To the attention (Especially) For SM Dev

;2632153']i read your tactics and the opposition and its completely plausible you lost.

you played defensive football for 75 mins' date=' men behind the ball, slow tempo.

your not going to score many playing that way to start with.

you switched to a very offensive counter attacking tactic in the last 75mins but with slow short passing (???) and pressing all over the pitch (???) -when your players are tired/ lower % match fitness that isnt going to work.

you conceded late on probably when your team was high up the pitch trying to walk the ball into the net, and knackered from chasing the opposition all over the place, countered with the fact the opposition played fast tempo and counter attack.[/quote']

1-At half time I was 1-0 winning;

2-I put a def tactic following a basic help guide with wich I won two consecutive promotions and I finished 2nd two times in 1st div. (of 5 seasons).

Here's the link:

http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?t=33159&page=18

where it advices

THE POSSESSION STYLE

Possession and getting shots are an important element of play in SM. Winning these elements will determine whether you win games and if you get to test the opposition side’s keeper. It has been well said that the best defense is an excellent offense. A side that keeps < 51% possession during a match is far more likely to win a match and, at the very minimum, is virtually guaranteed a draw. In sum, keeping possession is highly crucial when attempting to win a match because it applies pressure on the opponent and keeps the ball away from them at the same time.

In any possession system, your defenders will not push up too far. In this way, on the other hand, when your side wins the ball your offensive players won’t have to go too far in order to get to the opposition’s goal and they can keep the opponent under constant pressure in both the midfield and their own half. When done properly, this style is probably the most effective because your side is in control and can dictate the tempo of the game. You are relying on the quality of your own side and not on what your opponent may or may not do.

In order to use the playmaking/possession style, these are the key components:

1. Quality midfielders with an average rating of at least 88 or higher. This is vital because the midfield players do most of the passing around in the game. If even one of your midfielders is lacking in quality, this system will be quite difficult to pull off.

2. The best formations to use in this style are:

4-4-2, 4-4-1-1, 4-3-1-2, 4-1-3-2, 4-5-1, and 4-3-2-1

3. When selecting a tackling style for the possession game, HARD or even AGGRESSIVE are the best options.

With either of these tackling styles your players will not sit back and allow the opposition to maintain possession of the ball for any great length of time. Your players will challenge for each and every ball in an attempt to win it back for your side.

Be mindful of selecting either of these two options, however, because it will leave your side prone to receiving multiple yellow, or often times, straight red cards. If using either of these tackling styles, expect to receive a minimum of at least 3 yellow cards per game, with a red card coming at least once every 3 to 5 games.

4. When selecting a mentality for your team, always click DEFENSIVE or NORMAL. Avoid an ATTACKING mentality when using this style of play, even if you have the much stronger side. If your squad is too attack minded, shots that are quick and far from quality (from 25 yards or so) are often taken. When this happens, the ball goes right back to your opponent if and when you miss (which will be quite often). If you choose a DEFENSIVE or NORMAL mentality, however, when your side gets the ball they will take their time with it before attempting to get it forward to your strikers.

5. When selecting your side’s passing style, always choose SHORT or MIXED. Choosing SHORT passes will allow your players to pass the ball amongst themselves in an attempt to maintain possession and take advantage of defensive lapses by the opposition.

MIXED passing will also serve the same purpose as short passing, but it will also allow your side to alter their attack with an occasional direct or long ball forward to exploit the opponent’s weaker players when the situation arises.

In selecting a passing style, a word of caution would be to not use SHORT passing if the opposition side is stronger (in both numbers and quality) than your own, especially in the midfield. Given this situation, MIXED passing is always the far better option.

6. When it comes to selecting your team’s attacking style, always choose MIXED or DOWN BOTH FLANKS. MIXED attacking needs little explanation. Simply put, it allows your side to attack wherever on the pitch the best opportunity to do so arises.

Choosing DOWN BOTH FLANKS as an attacking style is extremely useful in this style of play if you have strong outside players in the midfield (Wing, RM, or LM) as well as strong outside defenders (RB and LB). This style will make sure that these gifted outside players get as many touches on the ball as possible throughout the course of a match.

7. In choosing the tempo (pace) at which your team plays, it is always best to select a SLOW or NORMAL tempo when playing a possession style.

A SLOW tempo allows your team to take their time with the ball. When your side takes possession of the ball, it is like gold to them. Your squad will make as many back passes between your midfielders and the defenders as they can in order to keep your opponent away from the ball.

Be mindful of the ratings of both your defenders and goalkeeper when choosing a SLOW tempo, however. If any of your defenders or your keeper is slightly below average (86 or lower), gifted strikers from the opposition side (88 or higher) will have the advantage. They will be able to intercept the ball and will often get unopposed shots at your keeper.

When playing at a NORMAL tempo, your squad will be cautious, but not overly cautious with the ball when they take possession. They will look for the opportunity to push a quicker or slower pace when the situation is appropriate.

8. In choosing when and how to press, it is always best to choose OWN HALF when using a possession style. All of your players will come back and concentrate on pressuring the opposition in your half of the field. Your squad will keep the opposition playing in front of them, while limiting the amount of open space available in your own half.

9. When choosing a play style, it is a good idea to choose MEN BEHIND BALL, USE PLAYMAKER, and USE TARGET MAN in the possession game.

By keeping MEN BEHIND BALL your side won’t get caught by surprise if the opposition tries to break away. In choosing USE PLAYMAKER and USE TARGET MAN, your players will look to get the ball to your best offensive players in order to create scoring chances at every available opportunity.

Your playmaker should always be a skilled attacking player of some sort (preferably a Wing, AM, or CM). A target man will almost always be a forward player (CF, F, or Fwd).

More to come...

Re: Help with tactics

that was written in 2008. way out of date

the match engine has been evolving over the years.

and he was theorising his views, & there is no written fact thats how the engine works.

offensive counter attack with slow tempo short passing wont work as you cancel out each of the aims. if your on the counter attack you need fast tempo and direct passing to get the ball up the pitch quickly!

but by playing offensive counter attack, you leave yourself open to be 'counter attacked', which you were!

Riferimento: Re: Help with tactics

;2633691']that was written in 2008. way out of date

the match engine has been evolving over the years.

and he was theorising his views' date=' & there is no written fact thats how the engine works.

offensive counter attack with slow tempo short passing wont work as you cancel out each of the aims. if your on the counter attack you need fast tempo and direct passing to get the ball up the pitch quickly!

but by playing offensive counter attack, you leave yourself open to be 'counter attacked', which you were![/quote']

Why is this help guide out of date? Last season I got 2nd place following it. The truth is that match engine is out of logic. I'm trying all possible tactics but results doesn't arrive. Here's my squad. What kind of tactics you'd suggest to me please?

COURTOIS, Thibaut 90

NAGATOMO, Yuto 90

ALABA, David 91

PISZCZEK, Lukasz 92 (injured up to next month)

BONUCCI, Leonardo 91

DANTE, Santos 91

RANOCCHIA, Andrea 90

PIRLO, Andrea 94

BENDER, Lars 90

CAPOUE, Etienne 90

BLASZCZYKOWSKI, Jakub 91

FERNANDINHO, Luis 91

MKHITARYAN, Henrik 90

ASAMOAH, Kwadwo 91

DZAGOEV, Alan 90

AYEW, André 90

LEWANDOWSKI, Robert 92

MANDZUKIC, Mario 91

I usually change my squad every match adapting it to my opponent.

Re: Riferimento: Re: Help with tactics

Why is this help guide out of date? Last season I got 2nd place following it. The truth is that match engine is out of logic. I'm trying all possible tactics but results doesn't arrive. Here's my squad. What kind of tactics you'd suggest to me please?

COURTOIS' date=' Thibaut 90[/i']

NAGATOMO, Yuto 90

ALABA, David 91

PISZCZEK, Lukasz 92 (injured up to next month)

BONUCCI, Leonardo 91

DANTE, Santos 91

RANOCCHIA, Andrea 90

PIRLO, Andrea 94

BENDER, Lars 90

CAPOUE, Etienne 90

BLASZCZYKOWSKI, Jakub 91

FERNANDINHO, Luis 91

MKHITARYAN, Henrik 90

ASAMOAH, Kwadwo 91

DZAGOEV, Alan 90

AYEW, André 90

LEWANDOWSKI, Robert 92

MANDZUKIC, Mario 91

I usually change my squad every match adapting it to my opponent.

i keep it simple. 4-4-1-1. works for me hayes & yeading into division 1 currently 10th with 90 average.

or 4 -3-3 wingers.

or 5-3-2. defensive slow tempo long ball, switch if losing/drawing at 60mins to 352 attacking down right flank.

Riferimento: Re: Riferimento: Re: Help with tactics

;2645589']i keep it simple. 4-4-1-1. works for me hayes & yeading into division 1 currently 10th with 90 average.

or 4 -3-3 wingers.

or 5-3-2. defensive slow tempo long ball' date=' switch if losing/drawing at 60mins to 352 attacking down right flank.[/quote']

I used 4-4-1-1 last season and it ruled just to 34th fixture but now is not going well.

4-3-3 W is not for my squad: keeping Lewanda as CF and Kuba as right OM/Fwd I would have to put Ayew as left OM/Fwd. But Mandzukic is 91 rated and I cannot keep him out of starter list.

5-3-2 could be good. But I cannot understand why I would have to set a long ball tactic: I used this defensive setting when my squad have had a 88 average against better teams in my first serie 1 championship.

This season I have started with a 4-1-3-2 putting Pirlo (94 rp) as the "1", giving him playmaker's task.

Riferimento: Re: Riferimento: Re: Help with tactics

;2645589']i keep it simple. 4-4-1-1. works for me hayes & yeading into division 1 currently 10th with 90 average.

or 4 -3-3 wingers.

or 5-3-2. defensive slow tempo long ball' date=' switch if losing/drawing at 60mins to 352 attacking down right flank.[/quote']

In tomorrow's match I'm going to counteract a 4-2-3-1 (91 avg) formation with a simple 4-3-3 plus defensive tactic. Losing the game I'll switch it in a 5-3-2 as you suggest. I'll report the result here.

Assumption: my opponent won against a 4-3-3 (switched in a 3-4-3 at 60') last game (just after 60th minute). We'll see my experiment.

Re: Riferimento: Re: Riferimento: Re: Help with tactics

In tomorrow's match I'm going to counteract a 4-2-3-1 (91 avg) formation with a simple 4-3-3 plus defensive tactic. Losing the game I'll switch it in a 5-3-2 as you suggest. I'll report the result here.

Assumption: my opponent won against a 4-3-3 (switched in a 3-4-3 at 60') last game (just after 60th minute). We'll see my experiment.

id start with 5-3-2. its defensive. if your losing, switching to 5-3-2 wont help much..

4-3-3 isnt a defensive tactic - 3 forwards.... id switch to that instead if you were losing!

Riferimento: Re: Help with tactics

It's not like your team is any good. It's an average team and it is entirely possibly it could lose. Focus on getting a better team instead.

Dear YEEZUS' date=' I got 2nd place and I won against all better teams last championship. My avg squad is 91 and I got 2nd place when it was 89 avg too. But I would say more. Get an eye to my next post in this section. It is incredible.

[url']http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?t=160340[/url]