Do you have any idea how to counter 3-5-2 please?

Phil Brooks

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Riferimento: Do you have any idea how to counter 3-5-2 please?

Hi Phil, I'm sorry for the long time elapsed by your last answer. In this time my first squad Leeds is not involved in games because of the end of the season and in previous weeks there is not any important game to report in this thread.

Last but not least, in the last season I changed something about approaching to the games because of ratings increase of some important player.

I played just 3-4 formations:

4-4-1-1; 4-5-1; 4-2-3-1 and 3-5-2 with almost defensive mentality, short pass and fast tempo. My final position was 5°. Next season is coming. I'll post something next about last and next season.

Re: Do you have any idea how to counter 3-5-2 please?

Hi anton

Actually, i'm not able to win anymore: when the match stats are good the result is most of the time a draw, when the stats are slightly negative the result is always a loss...

Now you'll see some cases taken from my last 3 matches, as example.

ciao.jpg

ciao1.jpg

ciao2.jpg

ciao4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Phil, excuse me for my long time absence from SM forum and from this thread specially. I have started a new season and it is going very bad. I'm not able more to read this game and what I should set with my good squad against my opponents (weakest or strongest, there is no difference). I had my first big loss just last week (0-5 home, I've never been defeated without scoring 3 goals and I've never been defeated suffering 4+ goals: my worst defeats were all 2-4 result). I have an assuredness only: 4-5-1 is the best formation against 3-5-2. I'm going to think that when a team is losing, the best thing to do is not to switch to an offensive mentality: in my self change in an offensive mentality is not a good tactic to try to rehab the result. I'm going to test a defensive mentality when I'm losing in next matches.

In a SM forum guide there was a tactical advice that I didn't remeber until now: offensive tactic doesn't work facing possessing tactics (defensive/generic mentality, direct/short pass and slow/generic tempo).

Last: I had a 0-0 draw against a 3-5-2 adversary with a 4-5-1, def mentality, fast tempo and direct pass, switched to a 4-4-1-1 at 60' because of a substitution need.

See you soon

The 3-5-2 formation is just tearing everything else apart right now. I've never managed to beat another player that is using 3-5-2. That is in part that I do not have as strong as squad as said players. I've stuck with the 4-5-1, Defensive Mentality with Men Behind Ball, Tight Marking and Target Man and come out with draws. After much trial and error, I believe the key is getting possession as it always is in SM. I haven't cracked it yet, but I will!

Riferimento: Re: Do you have any idea how to counter 3-5-2 please?

I'm currently using 5-4-1 in several GWs with the following settings:

Hard (Aggressive) - Attacking - Mixed - Mixed - Mixed - Own Half (All Over) tight marking man behind ball counterattack

This formation is providing me good results' date=' even vs. some 3-5-2. :)[/b']

4-5-1 and 5-4-1 are good formations if your squad has one central forward only, I think. My biggest difficult is to put on field both Lewa-Mandzukic for my Leeds. So I was trying to set a 4-4-1-1 formation but it doesn't work every times I set. But I have Aubameyang and Ayew also and they can play as wingers in a 5 midfielders formation.

And final decision will be this:

Lewa championship's starter as CF & Mandzukic N. cup's starter as CF in a 5 midfielders formation with lonely CF: 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1 or a 4 defenders formation because of low number of CB.

Yesterday's match against a 3-5-2 (avg 90) fighted with a 4-5-1, defensive mentality, attacking style both flanks, mixed pass, mixed tempo, aggressive tackling, tight marking, counterattack, target man:

4-0 WON.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello guys' date='

I'm no longer able to counter 3-5-2.

Has anyone encountered normal 3-5-2 recently?

If so, could you please post the tactic you used and also an image of the match stats?

I need your help

Thank you[/quote']

Dear Phil, that's always me! :D

I countered 3-5-2 twice very well. And with two different ways. By then I understood that's a rating matter only. Counter tactics work if your squad is weaker than your opponent. If your team is about equal than your opponent, you could try to counter with your best team and tactics you can set up.

Against a 3-5-2 with a 93+ avg squad in a National Cup match I set up a 4-5-1 defensive (88 avg), attacking down both flanks, very defensive mentality, with long ball, fast tempo and pressing in my area. Other settings are tight marking, counter attack and man behind ball. Won 1-0 with 51% possession.

Against a 3-5-2 with a 92 avg squad in a championship match, I set up a 4-3-3 winger (92 avg too), mixed pass, fast tempo and pressing in the my half. Other settings are tight marking. Won 3-1 with 53% possession.

hi anton. i just found out another tactic that could be effective against 3-5-2. it's a weird 4-3-3 wingers with the following settings:

aggressive-v.attacking-long ball-mixed-fast-all over-play offside.

in addition you should push higher up the pitch both your fullbacks (forward arrow) and have also your wingers running forward (the left winger cutting across the middle with a diagonal forward arrow). pls use it and let me know. :P

Great games Phil! Matches you posted are very near to my few days ago's report:

"I countered 3-5-2 twice very well. And with two different ways. By then I understood that's a rating matter only. Counter tactics work if your squad is weaker than your opponent. If your team is about equal than your opponent, you could try to counter with your best team and tactics you can set up.

Against a 3-5-2 with a 93+ avg squad in a National Cup match I set up a 4-5-1 defensive (88 avg), attacking down both flanks, very defensive mentality, with long ball, fast tempo and pressing in my area. Other settings are tight marking, counter attack and man behind ball. Won 1-0 with 51% possession. So this is just a counter tactic.

Against a 3-5-2 with a 92 avg squad in a championship match, I set up a 4-3-3 winger (92 avg too), mixed pass, fast tempo and pressing in the my half. Other settings are tight marking. Won 3-1 with 53% possession". And this is my/your own tactic.

why are you guys doing this I only play 3-5-2 :mad::o

Because lot of SM managers believe 3-5-2 is the one way to win. But this is not right and this is the reason of this thread.

Last but not least: we like to change formations and test tactics and counter tactics. Enjoy it you too.

Zlookvulk, you can try to get 3-5-2 working better against our counters.. :D

i would like to find some good counter formations for 4-3-3 wingers and 4-2-3-1 too :P

ok' date=' let's get to work. anton, are you up to the task?:P[/quote']

This is a big work. 4-3-3 w and 4-2-3-1 are very difficult to play recently.

But I now remeber I won against 4-3-3 w easily in the past. Maybe good counter formations were 4-4-2 diamond and 4-2-3-1.

At the other side I won against 4-2-3-1 countering it with 4-4-1-1 and 4-4-2.

anyway idea whats the best way to approach away and home games vs unmanaged teams?

*** these teams are kicking my ass and have worse rating

nope. it's all messed up mate, really. today i found out that even the counter-tactics which are posted here do not bring you 100% victory.

i'll post the MRs tomorrow as i'm really fed up with this simulator.

ps: it seems that someone upstairs is checking this thread and have implemented some tweaks so that our counter-formations are now as useful as a lead balloon