The Smartphones Discussion Thread

The Smartphones Discussion Thread  

1. 1.

After arguing a friend who seems obsessed and can't be moved from thinking iPhones are the best in the world, I've decided to see what forumers here think. What about Samsungs, HTCs, Blackberries or others as such?

I've enabled a vote but I don't know that many mobile brands myself so I'll just add the most popular names I can find via Google.

Re: The Smartphones Discussion Thread

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, and it is a fantastic phone. The camera is great and the screen size allows for streaming Netflix and Youtube at great resolution. I do not use all the bells and whistles that comes with it though. Of which there are many.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3' date=' and it is a fantastic phone. The camera is great and the screen size allows for streaming Netflix and Youtube at great resolution. I do not use all the bells and whistles that comes with it though. Of which there are many.[/quote']

I have a Galaxy S2 myself and agree with everything you say. Due to all the needless extras I have rooted mine and installed Cyanogen Mod which allows you to get the most in terms of performance.

When it comes to the specs of the iPhone vs the Samsung Galaxy, the latter is considerably better. It has a larger screen with a higher resolution, a faster processor, a slightly better camera and most importantly - far better battery life.

Samsung hands down for me.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3' date=' and it is a fantastic phone. The camera is great and the screen size allows for streaming Netflix and Youtube at great resolution. I do not use all the bells and whistles that comes with it though. Of which there are many.[/quote']

Interesting, you're one of the few that I know who likes it! Most complain about too big a phone as well as the plasticy cover? But you don't have a problem with that?

Interesting' date=' you're one of the few that I know who likes it! Most complain about too big a phone as well as the plasticy cover? But you don't have a problem with that?[/quote']

The size means that I can read books or watch a film easily enough. Meaning that I do not need a tablet with this size of a screen. The battery runs down quicker than I would like for heavy use on a long distance bus or train, but those modes of travel come with sockets so I can keep the phone juice.

My big beef with the S3 is the voice thingy that is on the iphone. It is not as good as the one on the Apple phones. It just does not understand me sometimes. It was a major selling point fo me as I wanted that feature but not the iphone. Most people seem to use them phones, and I gdid not want to jump on that bandwagon. :D

I've had my Samsung (forget which model) for just over 2 years now and in that time i've had to buy my girlfriend & sister the I-Phone 4,4S and the 5's just last month...

I like the simplistic versions besides i use my laptop for 99% of things and keep my phone for calls basically.

I've had my Samsung (forget which model) for just over 2 years now and in that time i've had to buy my girlfriend & sister the I-Phone 4' date='4S and the 5's just last month...

I like the simplistic versions besides i use my laptop for 99% of things and keep my phone for calls basically.[/quote']

Galaxy Ace? I have that and been very useful for me for 2 years too :)

I find the all the iPhones since 4 and including 4, they just look so bare and cold and machine-like through its squarely cut sides, to me it seems just a block of metal with no warmth thus I dislike it.

Just turned it on and off to see and its the Samsung s5670

I think i just dislike the iPhones because they're so main stream to be honest :P

So true... :(

A lot of people, particularly people who wan to show off their rich, thinks and cares only about the brand as iPhones are indeed iconic. Even if it totally doesn't suit their use. My mum asks me a phone that is needed to check business emails etc and needs to be good at sending and receiving messages quickly, so I recommended a BlackBerry due to the fact it has Qwerty keyboard and she's no good with touch screens, yet she is determined to buy an iPhone because she thinks nobodyelse will have heard of any other type :eek:

Yeah just joking around' date=' but I suppose it could. Like most radioactive devices[/color']

Yeah to be fair, pretty much anything can correlate to increased risk of cancer these days, but nothing has a causal relationship.

I went for the Iphone 5 the other day as the Galaxys are just too big for me. :o

monkey_from_themonkeycage.org_.JPG

http://blog.laptopmag.com/iphone-5-vs-galaxy-s4

I'm well aware thet the s4 is a far superior phone' date=' but its far too big for me. I prefer the size and look of the iPhone.[/quote']

Yes, S4 is massive but I guess it depends on your needs for it, I think Dermo said earlier he uses it to watch films and etc which I guess suits the Galaxys more than the iPhones :)

Yes' date=' S4 is massive but I guess it depends on your needs for it, I think Dermo said earlier he uses it to watch films and etc which I guess suits the Galaxys more than the iPhones :)[/quote']

Exactly. Those comparison articles are great but I wouldn't pay any credence to the totting up at the end. It's up to the customer personally which 'categories' are more important to them and, in some instances, which are crucial. Obviously, in Allan's case the size of the Samsung was a critical factor in him not wanting the phone, despite it's other advantages.

Hard to vote for me, as I adore my phone and it's a "LG Google Nexus 4"

Voted for google, although technically it's LG!!

Not keen on iphones, best thing about them is face time but their user interface is pretty much designed for toddlers.

My previous phone was a HTC, would never go with them again, awful!!

But LG Google Nexus 4 is incredible and will soon have wireless charging available in the UK

ps motorola are quite good too and deserve a mention ;)