Strange Locations.

Hey, just was wondering if anyone has been to or is going to a strange place?

I always like to travel and specially places with some decent History. One place I want to try and see is a place called Poveglia Island supposedly the most haunted place on earth with over 160,000 deaths on that island alone.

This is a tiny article about the place takes from a site called Cracked.

"Think of the scariest premise you can for a horror movie. OK, now think scarier than that, plus 1,000 times the brutality of Hostel, and you're close to Poveglia Island. Located in a lagoon in Venice, Italy, this island got its scary start when the Romans, being the kind, gentle souls they were, decided the best thing for society was to round up all the plague victims of the era, and stick them somewhere. That somewhere happened to be Poveglia Island.

Several thousand people were gathered and quarantined on the island, where they died together. You can write that off as a crazy decision symptomatic of a time when people presumably still pooped in holes in the ground and thought the sun was a chariot, but not a few centuries later, when everyone did the exact same thing again.

When the Bubonic plague tore through Europe, the island was reinstated to its former "glory;" a final vacation spot for anyone with the plague. When the plague got worse, they lowered Poveglia's requirements from "plague sufferers" to "anybody with any sign of sickness at all." They also changed their policy of "let the infected die peacefully" to "throw them in a large pit (atop already-dead bodies), and set them on fire," which, was quite a leap. Estimates put the death toll at 160,000 on the island, where charred bones still wash up on shore.

As if this wasn't scary enough, in 1922, a mental hospital with a scary bell tower was built on the island (an island, you have to believe still smelled like centuries of charred, plague-infected corpses)."

Have a look into it if you want as it is a great read.

If you hace any strange locations you would like to share or any stories of places you have been, good or scary please comment.

Thanks

Jordan

Re: Strange Locations.

Have to get to Iceland some time in the near future' date=' maybe even next year

:)[/color']

That's always something I wanted to do, is go to Iceland.

Or the Faroe Islands, I'd love to visit/work there next year even if it was for 2/3 months. No idea where to get started though. Also Jersey.

Gibraltar is always an intriguing one for me also, I've been there before and it's easy at 1,2,3 to move over there, but again no idea where to start.

That's always something I wanted to do' date=' is go to Iceland.

Or the Faroe Islands, I'd love to visit/work there next year even if it was for 2/3 months. No idea where to get started though. Also Jersey.

Gibraltar is always an intriguing one for me also, I've been there before and it's easy at 1,2,3 to move over there, but again no idea where to start.[/quote']

Yeah im busy planning a gap year in EU atm and there are so many different things to look at and many many uncertainties. Very stressful to work it all out

:(

Nothing really that strange' date=' but during my holiday to Wales in summer, I went to the place with the longest place-name in Europe.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

In Anglesey.[/quote']

My old college tutor could pronounce that no problem, I can only get past the Llanfair bit :o

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing really that strange' date=' but during my holiday to Wales in summer, I went to the place with the longest place-name in Europe.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

In Anglesey.[/quote']

Haha that's pretty awesome!

I'm hoping to go to Thailand soon heard so many good things about it.