What are your thoughts on Ilombe Mboyo?

sirmarkhughes

_70073724_prisoncomposite1.jpg

Would you want a player who had been convicted of gang-raping a 14 year old playing for your side?

When he was 17 he was part of a street gang and got sentenced to 7 years for the gang rape of a 14 year old girl, when in prison he goes through a football in prison program, signs for Charleroi on day release then on to Kortrijk, Gent and now Genk for £3.5 million, before he signed for Genk, West Ham were in the running to sign him until they found out about his past which caused outrage.

He has been capped at International level and may be a part of Belgium's world cup squad.

My thoughts are that even though he has done his time and is supposedly rehabilitated I would never want him anywhere near my club and I would hold my head in shame if a convicted child rapist then went on to get a cap for my country.

What are your thoughts, would you have him at your club or playing for your country?

Here is a BBC article about him his story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24064975

Re: What are your thoughts on Ilombe Mboyo?

_70073724_prisoncomposite1.jpg

Would you want a player who had been convicted of gang-raping a 14 year old playing for your side?

When he was 17 he was part of a street gang and got sentenced to 7 years for the gang rape of a 14 year old girl' date=' when in prison he goes through a football in prison program, signs for Charleroi on day release then on to Kortrijk, Gent and now Genk for £3.5 million, before he signed for Genk, West Ham were in the running to sign him until they found out about his past which caused outrage.

He has been capped at International level and may be a part of Belgium's world cup squad.

My thoughts are that even though he has done his time and is supposedly rehabilitated I would never want him anywhere near my club and I would hold my head in shame if a convicted child rapist then went on to get a cap for my country.

What are your thoughts, would you have him at your club or playing for your country?[/b']

Here is a BBC article about him his story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24064975

You're right, mate. It's absolutely disgusting! And no, I would be outraged if he played for my club or my national team. It's true he's done his time, but he's a pedophile. I don't care if he's a good player or not, because he's a horrible human being.

I rest my case.

He's done his time and repaid his debt to society so if he can do a job for my team I would have him.

Professional footballers are not beacons of morality or role models (at least for the sober minded).

As for International caps-sure why not, but then we capped a couple who were found to be not so wholesome characters :o. Sport is a game/entertainment and sometimes we forget that.

Wasn't there a similar case in Scottish Football with a Hearts player at some time?

He's done his time and repaid his debt to society so if he can do a job for my team I would have him.

Professional footballers are not beacons of morality or role models (at least for the sober minded).

As for International caps-sure why not' date=' but then we capped a couple who were found to be not so wholesome characters :o. Sport is a game/entertainment and sometimes we forget that.

Wasn't there a similar case in Scottish Football with a Hearts player at some time?[/quote']

Yeah Craig Thompson got done for grooming, never played in Scotland again nor got anywhere near the National squad, I think he is in Cyprus now.

I am all for prisoner rehabilitation but a person convicted of gang raping a 14 year old, I wouldn't/couldn't have him near my club/country, TBH if I were in his company I wouldn't be sure if I would be able to restrain myself from lashing out at him/smashing a bottle in his face.

Some crimes I would forgive but this crime is above and beyond what I could forgive.

Yeah Craig Thompson got done for grooming' date=' never played in Scotland again nor got anywhere near the National squad, I think he is in Cyprus now.

I am all for prisoner rehabilitation but [b']a person convicted of gang raping a 14 year old, I wouldn't/couldn't have him near my club/country[/b], TBH if I were in his company I wouldn't be sure if I would be able to restrain myself from lashing out at him/smashing a bottle in his face.

Some crimes I would forgive but this crime is above and beyond what I could forgive.

Yeah thats the guy..

No problem and I can understand your feelings, however he was like a 17 years thug -and would agree that some difficulty in accepting him may be an issue.

However if it's professional Football and it won't harm team morale will have him in the team.

Yeah thats the guy..

No problem and I can understand your feelings' date=' however he was like a 17 years thug -and would agree that some difficulty in accepting him may be an issue.

However if it's professional Football and it won't harm team morale will have him in the team.[/quote']

At 17 years old he surely couldn't have been that backward to not know that gang raping a girl was wrong no matter how much of a thug he was.

I am not sure if he would be accepted at most teams by other players and or fans given his conviction but surely some would as he is now on to his 3rd Belgian Club and has went for a transfer fee of £3.5 million.

I respect your opinion though, I posted to see what the general consensus was so any reply/opinion is good for debate.

At 17 years old he surely couldn't have been that backward to not know that gang raping a girl was wrong no matter how much of a thug he was.

I am not sure if he would be accepted at most teams by other players and or fans given his conviction but surely some would as he is now on to his 3rd Belgian Club and has went for a transfer fee of £3.5 million.

I respect your opinion though' date=' I posted to see what the general consensus was so any reply/opinion is good for debate.[/quote']

It's not a matter of knowing right and wrong. It's about paying his dues.

Bit disappointed others (as yet) have not joined in-as it really gets to the heart of the question of how each of us view football and the value we place on it.

The problem with drawing a moral line is where does it start and stop-does adulterers get in, drug addicts, spouse abusers, rapists (like the French Connection)..

Yeah Craig Thompson got done for grooming' date=' never played in Scotland again nor got anywhere near the National squad, I think he is in Cyprus now.

I am all for prisoner rehabilitation but a person convicted of gang raping a 14 year old, I wouldn't/couldn't have him near my club/country, TBH if I were in his company I wouldn't be sure if I would be able to restrain myself from lashing out at him/smashing a bottle in his face.

Some crimes I would forgive but this crime is above and beyond what I could forgive.[/quote']

Couldn't agree more, mate.

Couldn't agree more' date=' mate.[/quote']

I would think that this would be the opinion of the majority, well going by the twitter response when West Ham were thinking of signing him and the comments/feedback on the BBC site the story came from this definitely seems to be the case.

It's not a matter of knowing right and wrong. It's about paying his dues.

Bit disappointed others (as yet) have not joined in-as it really gets to the heart of the question of how each of us view football and the value we place on it.

The problem with drawing a moral line is where does it start and stop-does adulterers get in' date=' drug addicts, spouse abusers, rapists (like the French Connection)..[/quote']

I am quite disappointed with the response myself [as of yet] as I thought this would be a subject that would cause at the least a few opinions from forumers.

I hear what you are saying about where do you draw the line, with me I guess convicted murderers, rapists and child abusers would/should have no place playing for my club/country whether rehabilitated or not.Drug addicts /spousal abusers[depending to what extent of the abuse] I think can be rehabilitated and if and when rehabilitated they could be given another chance.

I am not against criminals rehabilitating themselves and bettering themselves to go on and have a career in football/sport, I guess I just find rape/murder/pedophilia crimes too heinous to be forgiven that easily, I do think people convicted of these crimes when rehabilitated should be able to integrate themselves back into society but not as idols/icons, whether this could sound like an extra punishment for those concerned, what about the people or family of the people/child in this case who have been raped/molested/murdered, do they deserve to see the person convicted of the crime on television, in the paper,being talked about in social circles being idolised by fans of club and country?The convictee might have paid his dues in the sense of the law but in the eyes of the victim I am not so sure they would all think that all dues were paid.

I would think that this would be the opinion of the majority' date=' well going by the twitter response when West Ham were thinking of signing him and the comments/feedback on the BBC site the story came from this definitely seems to be the case.

I am quite disappointed with the response myself [as of yet'] as I thought this would be a subject that would cause at the least a few opinions from forumers.

I hear what you are saying about where do you draw the line, with me I guess convicted murderers, rapists and child abusers would/should have no place playing for my club/country whether rehabilitated or not.Drug addicts /spousal abusers[depending to what extent of the abuse] I think can be rehabilitated and if and when rehabilitated they could be given another chance.

I am not against criminals rehabilitating themselves and bettering themselves to go on and have a career in football/sport, I guess I just find rape/murder/pedophilia crimes too heinous to be forgiven that easily, I do think people convicted of these crimes when rehabilitated should be able to integrate themselves back into society but not as idols/icons, whether this could sound like an extra punishment for those concerned, what about the people or family of the people/child in this case who have been raped/molested/murdered, do they deserve to see the person convicted of the crime on television, in the paper,being talked about in social circles being idolised by fans of club and country?The convictee might have paid his dues in the sense of the law but in the eyes of the victim I am not so sure they would all think that all dues were paid.

Ah good point-and well argued.

So you would require some sort of acknowledgement by the victim?

Ah good point-and well argued.

So you would require some sort of acknowledgement by the victim?

No by not employing convicted rapists/murderers/pedophiles at the club I would spare the victims/victims family's the need for any kind of acknowledgement' date=' most of the victims of these crimes would be anonymous anyway [well the victim in this case would be as it was a child sex crime']so asking for any kind of acknowledgement from them would mean them having to give up their anonymity which wouldn't really be a tenable theory.

Why? So you believe that he should be continued to be punish for something done in his youth?

I'm not forbidding him from being signed by any club, in the World. However, at 17, only an ignorant or a despicable person can do what he did.

He can get on with his life, but I have the right to an opinion: BTW it's based on a fact. Unfortunately, that rape happened. I'm not saying Mboyo should still be in prison, but he can't ask people to ignore what he did.

Interesting topic. I'm not sure how I feel about this one. I mean, he's paid for his crime and he was 'only' 17 at the time however its an awful crime. I think its a question of, does he deserve a 2nd chance? I'm not really aware of how/why the incident occured but if he is a changed man then I could see why some people would take him at their club. I personally would feel happy with my club signing a player with his past if he was a good player, had learned from his mistakes and was willing to work hard for the club. I am someone who believes people deserves a 2nd chance.

Interesting topic. I'm not sure how I feel about this one. I mean' date=' he's paid for his crime and he was 'only' 17 at the time however its an awful crime. I think its a question of, does he deserve a 2nd chance? I'm not really aware of how/why the incident occured but if he is a changed man then I could see why some people would take him at their club. I personally would feel happy with my club signing a player with his past if he was a good player, had learned from his mistakes and was willing to work hard for the club. I am someone who believes people deserves a 2nd chance.[/quote']

Oh poor guy, he was "only" 17; come on, do you think he had no conscience of what he was doing? BTW mate, the girl was only 14. And isn't he getting is 2nd chance? He's still playing professional football...

It's nothing personal against you or another person, who disagrees with me, it's just my opinion.

Regards:)

No by not employing convicted rapists/murderers/pedophiles at the club I would spare the victims/victims family's the need for any kind of acknowledgement' date=' most of the victims of these crimes would be anonymous anyway [well the victim in this case would be as it was a child sex crime']so asking for any kind of acknowledgement from them would mean them having to give up their anonymity which wouldn't really be a tenable theory.

True..

I'm not forbidding him from being signed by any club' date=' in the World. However, at 17, only an ignorant or a despicable person can do what he did.

He can get on with his life, [b']but I have the right to an opinion[/b]: BTW it's based on a fact. Unfortunately, that rape happened. I'm not saying Mboyo should still be in prison, but he can't ask people to ignore what he did.

No one is disputing that fact-it's interesting to note however what forms the opinion.

Has he asked for ignoring the fact of the rape? If he was a steam shovel operator would you hire him?

Interesting topic. I'm not sure how I feel about this one. I mean' date=' he's paid for his crime and he was 'only' 17 at the time however its an awful crime. I think its a question of, does he deserve a 2nd chance? I'm not really aware of how/why the incident occured but if he is a changed man then I could see why some people would take him at their club. I personally would feel happy with my club signing a player with his past if he was a good player, had learned from his mistakes and was willing to work hard for the club. I am someone who believes people deserves a 2nd chance.[/quote']

Well if it's a football club there maybe other interest at heart-economics, fan base, shareholders etc.

Dear arampage, if you read my comment carefully, you'll understand one thing: what actually formed my opinion was the fact that he raped the girl.

Don't think I disagree with everything you're saying. You make some good points, but they don't change my point of view, because I think I have more arguments that validate my theory and, obviously, you don't see things that way.

People don't have to agree with each other all the time; however, I respect your opinion and everyone else's, even if they're contrary to mine.

Dear arampage' date=' if you read my comment carefully, you'll understand one thing: what actually formed my opinion was the [b']fact[/b] that he raped the girl.

Don't think I disagree with everything you're saying. You make some good points, but they don't change my point of view, because I think I have more arguments that validate my theory and, obviously, you don't see things that way.

People don't have to agree with each other all the time; however, I respect your opinion and everyone else's, even if they're contrary to mine.

Regards :)

After reading the article and looking at the comments, I have to agree with this one the most:

"If we can't accept that people can be rehabilitated and successfully rejoin society then we might as well give up on having a justice system."

I know he has committed a horrible crime, one that is unforgivable but he has served his time, been rehabilitated and is full of remorse. He needs to make living as well. I know the victim will have scars and I fell really sorry for her but I believe people deserve a 2nd chance (depends on the crime and the severity of it) if they're are remorseful.

The thing that I don't get quite understand is that sportsmen who've committed crimes get vilified if they return to their sport. They wouldn't get vilified if they became a taxi driver for example. I remember reading about a footballer in England who got released from prison after he killed two children in an drink driving incident. He got offered a trial and the club got criticized for that. I understand it's a sensitive and emotive subject but he needs to make a living as well. I'd rather have them earning money from football rather than being state-dependant.

Anyway I don't think he's a peadophile. He was 17 at that time and by law he isn't considered to be an adult and the age-gap between the victim and himself is three years. And about him being 17, well we all did stupid things when we're young, maybe not as stupid as what Ilombe did. We don't realize it untill later.

I am pretty disappointed with the response in general of what I thought is a decent topic for debate.

Thanks for the replies/opinions lads' date=' it l[b']ooks like their is more forgiveness than I thought there would be which has surprised me[/b].

Yeah it's a bit sad at the responses it got.

Well saying you would take the moral high ground is quite another thing from what happens in reality sometimes.

Yeah it's a bit sad at the responses it got.

Well saying you would take the moral high ground is quite another thing from what happens in reality sometimes.

Maybe with some people but in my eyes he is a convicted rapist, the fact that it was a gang-rape with an under-age girl makes it even worse, I class him as a sex pest/beast and in my world/my reality I know what happens to sex pests and I will tell you this is it not forgiveness but each to their own.

Rapists deserve a second chance? I've heard it all now....

Should be hanging from the roof tops that's for sure.

I see some people on here using the age card, He was 17 and it was a gang rape, It's Not as if he just learned about the birds and the bees...

Question for you people would you rather be Gang raped or Killed? I'd certainly rather killed than go through on ordeal like that...

I didn't really want to ask that question^ But you really have to think of these things...

Rapists deserve a second chance? I've heard it all now....

Should be hanging from the roof tops that's for sure.

I see some people on here using the age card' date=' He was 17 and it was a gang rape, It's Not as if he just learned about the birds and the bees...

Question for you people would you rather be Gang raped or Killed? I'd certainly rather killed than go through on ordeal like that...

I didn't really want to ask that question^ But you really have to think of these things...[/quote']

I would rather live tbh, even though I'd probably be scarred forever. At least you would have the chance to go on and have a happy life even if the likeliness is small. I do think people deserve 2nd chances so they can show they have changed and done some good in the world. But I guess it's a tricky subject as I'd say people like Andres Breivek (?) dont deserve a 2nd chance. For me, the line is drawn at murder, if he'd gone and killed a guy I think it would be too much to allow back in a football club