Forum activity representing SM's decline?

I have noticed a trend over the last 6 months to a year that forum posts are declining all the time and a lot of 'big names' do not post at all anymore.

This has become even more apparent over the last couple of weeks, where even the 'Help With Deal(s) Thread' is becoming deserted.

Is this a reflection of people leaving the game in general do you think or something else?

PS, this is something that I have only noticed in the 'SOCCER MANAGER HELP and PLAYER DISCUSSION' hierarchies since I do not use other forums much.

Riferimento: Forum activity representing SM's decline?

I have noticed a trend over the last 6 months to a year that forum posts are declining all the time and a lot of 'big names' do not post at all anymore.

This has become even more apparent over the last couple of weeks' date=' where even the 'Help With Deal(s) Thread' is becoming deserted.

Is this a reflection of people leaving the game in general do you think or something else?

PS, this is something that I have only noticed in the 'SOCCER MANAGER HELP and PLAYER DISCUSSION' hierarchies since I do not use other forums much.[/quote']

I think it is as you say. Problem is another too. In all gameworlds the pioneer managers are leaving or left their squads. But in consequence, there are no new managers to enter the game... I see big squads and a lot of big players free. I cannot believe that Admins don't notice this.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Forum activity representing SM's decline?

Ever since the rating system was changed, I think people are less interested in SM altogether. Most of the fun of it was finding the risers before others and posting them on here once you had got them in your squad. Now, it can take years before they rise, so there's no financial gain in buying those players and thus, I don't search for them, find them or post them.

I think I use SM game about 25% as much as I did a year ago.

I'm currently in a gameworld with four friends. There were 6 of us before but two lost interest.

I still enjoy SM but I have found the game increasingly frustrating lately.

1. The general layout & design is always changing and not for the better. Visually the whole game has gotten considerably worse.

2. Tactics + Results. I have had my most successful season on SM and could win the title tomorrow night if I win. However I don't feel this is down to my astute tactics. It just feels like complete luck.

3. Ratings are bizarre, Bale gets 94 while Mata + Suarez remain 93, players like Lewandowski get +4 in a season, while Reus remains 92. No consistency there.

4. Random rises are annoying, everyone preferred the schedule but of course that wasn't taken into account.

5. Max bids on players - This REALLY frustrates me, there is no logic behind which team can bid more. I have been outbid by numerous teams in my league, some are higher rated than mine, so have bigger squads, some are more successful, some less... Its so frustrating to be a lower rated older team trying to secure top talent, only to be outbid by someone who has a 21 year old 90 rated team with 30 youth players out on loan.

6. Inactive managers, someone joins your league, 30 days later they are kicked, happens endlessly, means they often field NMF teams giving some people easier games, you cant buy from them, and less competition is just boring. That should be addressed.

Also there is a small group of users on this forum who constantly defend SM's poor changes which is very tiresome to see their blind defence of very unpopular decisions.

I'm currently in a gameworld with four friends. There were 6 of us before but two lost interest.

I still enjoy SM but I have found the game increasingly frustrating lately.

1. The general layout & design is always changing and not for the better. Visually the whole game has gotten considerably worse.

2. Tactics + Results. I have had my most successful season on SM and could win the title tomorrow night if I win. However I don't feel this is down to my astute tactics. It just feels like complete luck.

3. Ratings are bizarre' date=' Bale gets 94 while Mata + Suarez remain 93, players like Lewandowski get +4 in a season, while Reus remains 92. No consistency there.

4. Random rises are annoying, everyone preferred the schedule but of course that wasn't taken into account.

5. Max bids on players - This REALLY frustrates me, there is no logic behind which team can bid more. I have been outbid by numerous teams in my league, some are higher rated than mine, so have bigger squads, some are more successful, some less... Its so frustrating to be a lower rated older team trying to secure top talent, only to be outbid by someone who has a 21 year old 90 rated team with 30 youth players out on loan.

6. Inactive managers, someone joins your league, 30 days later they are kicked, happens endlessly, means they often field NMF teams giving some people easier games, you cant buy from them, and less competition is just boring. That should be addressed.

Also there is a small group of users on this forum who constantly defend SM's poor changes which is very tiresome to see their blind defence of very unpopular decisions.[/quote']

A good post. But one of the reasons there are so many managers who join a league and then quit is because when they take over their new club they quickly see how the squad was raped and pillaged of all it's best players once the previous manager left and then, when they go to buy new players, equally as quickly realize that all the best players have already been snapped up by clubs that have 3 times as many players on loan as they have in the team.

Until SM do more to prevent player hoarding, introduce squad caps, limit the number of players that can be loaned out and, most importantly, give AI managers a grain of intelligence so that they don't simply sell all the clubs best assets to managed clubs that already have a great team then this will always be the case.

Otherwise your post was very interesting and well presented.

I think the problem is much more basic. People have genuine concerns about the rating system' date=' match engine, cheating etc and SM ignore constructive criticism. The posters get frustrated then lose interest.[/quote']

Agreed with this, I've played SM for 6 years and the significant moment of change was when they stopped creating new GCs every 2-3 weeks and made it almost every day, symbolizing how they have become more so about the amount of money they can make and less so on helping us, the users - they don't seem to take any notice of levels of cheating in the game, the match engine is flawed and ratings have become much more random and inconsistent. This has resulted in plenty of long term managers, included myself, becoming frustrated and eventually even quitting.

I agree with what's been said here. SM have been in decline for some time, certainly with me & a lot of my friends. Talking with one friend last night, he's just holding on because I'm still in the 2 GW's he's in & doesn't want them to fold. I said do it, or do 1 at least if he's not enjoying it. We used to compete vigorously for top players but the rating reviews are like watching paint dry, inconsistent, under-baked & it's become very boring.... Other friends have already left, most of them to be honest :(

I'm reducing GW's also & have packed in my GOLD account. SM don't appreciate what their customers want... no idea ... they are out of touch, don't care ... I don't know. In decline ....

Interesting part is: are SM really in decline, in terms of quantity of people playing this game?

Managers: 712,567 Online: 13,951 Managed Clubs: 1,249,931

This is the stats from their homepage, granted it could be false information but still that couldn't be to far off(or could they?).

Another one to consider is SM for some while now always said they're in process of developing an app for smartphone user due to heavy request from manager who wants to manage their team everywhere, another indicator that this game is still fairly popular, probably from manager who're find this game from FB.

So, I'm suspecting that majority of user of the game just didn't bother to join the forum or even didn't know this forum existence at all due to difficulty to find the link to the forum on the main site.

Interesting part is: are SM really in decline' date=' in terms of quantity of people playing this game?

This is the stats from their homepage, granted it could be false information but still that couldn't be to far off(or could they?).

Another one to consider is SM for some while now always said they're in process of developing an app for smartphone user due to heavy request from manager who wants to manage their team everywhere, another indicator that this game is still fairly popular, probably from manager who're find this game from FB.

So, I'm suspecting that majority of user of the game just didn't bother to join the forum or even didn't know this forum existence at all due to [b']difficulty to find the link to the forum on the main site[/b].

All good and valid points. But...

712,567 managers would include all the accounts of people that dont play SM anymore and haven't deactivated their account, I cant imagine many people who have left doing so.

Also, we all know there are many cheats out there in SM land, so how many of these accounts are accredited to them (cheat accounts).

Granted, not everyone uses the forum or even know it exists, but the lack of new posts/threads in the busiest part concerning the game itself compared to say a year ago, makes me wonder if people are turning away from the game in droves.

I would suggest that the percentage of new players that find/use the forum would be equal to the people that found/used the forum of yesteryear, keeping the forum very active and stable with a similar level of activity, but this is not the case, so that is why I made this thread.

Interesting part is: are SM really in decline' date=' in terms of quantity of people playing this game?

So, I'm suspecting that majority of user of the game just didn't bother to join the forum or even didn't know this forum existence at all due to [b']difficulty to find the link to the forum on the main site[/b].

"Online: 13,951"

The last time I noted down a SM figure for On-Line at that moment: It was 13,161 on 5 July 2011 at 11:33AM. This wouldn't have been a busy time (more like after 8 on a match-day would be I suppose). Doesn't prove anything just a figure I noted on my computer.

It may be SM are busier now as I think they have gone more global with a massive populations to aim at. I imagine youngsters are signing up all the time, soccer is a worldwide phenomenum after all. Great concept but do customers stay? Are SM improving a winning formula? How many long-term gamers would say yes to this? How many would say in decline? I know my answer & I wish it was different. Where is the great enthusiasm on the forum nowadays?

Tinkering constantly with a winning formula usually ends up losing the "magic".

This is the stats from their homepage' date=' granted it could be false information but still that couldn't be to far off(or could they?).

[/b'].

I made a point about this, in another thread. If those statistics are real, then i'm Elmo. Absolutely no way in hell. 1. Look at the state of gameworlds; there's your first clue to the number of people that play the game. 2. Those stats don't take into account people who've either left the game completely or turn up once in a blue moon to log on to keep hold of good teams they don't want but don't want have others to have either. 3. Multiple accounts. Most SM'ers have more than once account, that isn't factored in either. I've created 3 or 4 accounts, none of which i use, yet i'm still technically registered.