World Cup 2014 top contenders

pedrooliveira

Hi guys!

I created this thread, because we started to discuss this interesting theme, in the wrong place:p.

So, be brave and bet on which national team has more chances of winning the next World Cup.

I already gave you my list of contenders, but I'll put it here, in the appropriate thread. Come on guys, if you "gamble" now (with many months to go, for the WC official start) and then you win, you'll have even more bragging rights.

Top contenders IMO:

1 - Germany

2 - Brazil

3 - Spain

4 - Argentina

Regards:)

Re: World Cup 2014 top contenders

Hi

Can I give five?

1. Brazil: the home team with not the best squad of their history, but solid and well balanced.
  2. Argentina Don't believe much in them, but you can't skip them.
  3. Germany We can expect a solid performance, a top 3 I hope.
  4. Netherland They are ready, mixed team of youth and experience
  5. and the surprise, as there is allways a surprise (Uruguay last time): Belgium! I'd love to see them going far with great play.

Did not put Spain for a bunch of reasons:

1. No striker
  2. maybe no Casillas, very mixed feelings in Spain about it.
  3. Alonso, Xavi older now...
  4. Gifted youngs (Koke, Isco) still not fully involved.

They can still recover and resolve all their troubles, but...

Hi

Can I give five?

1. Brazil: the home team with not the best squad of their history' date=' but solid and well balanced.
    [*']Argentina Don't believe much in them, but you can't skip them.
  2. Germany We can expect a solid performance, a top 3 I hope.
  3. Netherland They are ready, mixed team of youth and experience
  4. and the surprise, as there is allways a surprise (Uruguay last time): Belgium! I'd love to see them going far with great play.

Did not put Spain for a bunch of reasons:

1. No striker
  2. maybe no Casillas, very mixed feelings in Spain about it.
  3. Alonso, Xavi older now...
  4. Gifted youngs (Koke, Isco) still not fully involved.

They can still recover and resolve all their troubles, but...

Your justification, for not including Spain, is quite pertinent.

I think Spain's problem is not having a quality striker, since they have Soldado, Negredo and possibly Diego Costa; I believe the biggest problem, in that department, is the indecision: Del Bosque should IMO already have determined his first choice for Spain's starting striker.

Your comment was very interesting, though.

Hi guys

for me this will be my list contenders:

1_ Brazil with its amazing young team, im pretty sure they will do very well in the home :D even i don't support them :D

2_ Netherland, such an amazing strong team but they need a bit of luck to win it

3_ Germany, i believe they will be at least in last 8 or 4 but i don't give them a big chance to win the world cup, im sure they have maybe the best squad in all lines but still feeling there is something missing in the manchaft to win such a big trophy.

4_ Italy, i know most of u will see this pick so wired but i believe in my fav team :D and who saw them in the last intercontinental champion and in last Europe cup will give them the credits :)

Regards

1. Argentina. I have them down as favourites for two reasons. 1, It's in South America and you gotta fancy Messi to do something on the world stage.

2. Germany. Their squad says it all really.

3. England. Yes, England. Hodgson will make them hard to beat like in the Euros and, with a bit of luck, we could do something. That's a more a gut feeling though, rather than based on fact.

4. Belgium. With their squad, they really should be aiming for the Semis as a minimum.

1. Argentina. I have them down as favourites for two reasons. 1' date=' It's in South America and you gotta fancy Messi to do something on the world stage.

3. England. Yes, England. Hodgson will make them hard to beat like in the Euros and, with a bit of luck, we could do something. That's a more a gut feeling though, rather than based on fact.

4. Belgium. With their squad, they really should be aiming for the Semis as a minimum.[/quote']

Yes, a lot of people have Belgium as an outsider and they truly have an amazing squad.

1. Argentina. I have them down as favourites for two reasons. 1' date=' It's in South America and you gotta fancy Messi to do something on the world stage.

4. Belgium. With their squad, they really should be aiming for the Semis as a minimum.[/quote']

I put a tenner on Belgium over 2 years ago I got 80/1 for them to reach the final, I reckon they will be the surprise package.

I put a tenner on Belgium over 2 years ago I got 80/1 for them to reach the final' date=' I reckon they will be the surprise package.[/font']

Who knows mate, maybe you'll get lucky;). I also think they can go far in the WC, but (and this is just a feeling) I believe their great performance will occur in Euro 2016, where most of the Belgian national squad best players will be more mature and experienced. I'm curious to see what they're capable of.

In this world cup I'm putting my bet on Germany as champs. Gotze, Reus, Kroos will get the upper hand of everyone this time. & we have veterans like Bastian, Lahm & the best playmaker now MESUT OZIL.

Next comes Brazil. Being the home side will be a very strong factor for their glory. I hope Braz &Ger don't face each other in any knockout rounds. And they don't have a chance to beat Germans.

France has got a hidden potential in them. Don't forget Ribery is at his best. So is Benzema. They have a good defence & 1 of the best GK in Lloris. They have a brilliant young side of footballers & players like Cabella, Grenier, Pogba, Yanga are capable enough to perform at such a big platform. & I think Nasri is no more a Ben now (being a BENch in Mancini days). Finals or Semi is the most they can achieve if they don't face the above 2 in any case.

4th team in semis I want to see is either Spain or Italy. The way Italy recovered from humiliation of 2010 in 2012 makes me give them such a high rating. Spain has too many problems & their strikerless formation seems to be overshadowed by German's super agility display & Brazil's Neymar play. Still they have plenty of time to think about it & repair.

In this world cup I'm putting my bet on Germany as champs. Gotze' date=' Reus, Kroos will get the upper hand of everyone this time. & we have veterans like Bastian, Lahm & the best playmaker now MESUT OZIL.

Next comes Brazil. Being the home side will be a very strong factor for their glory. I hope Braz &Ger don't face each other in any knockout rounds. And they don't have a chance to beat Germans.

France has got a hidden potential in them. Don't forget Ribery is at his best. So is Benzema. They have a good defence & 1 of the best GK in Lloris. They have a brilliant young side of footballers & players like Cabella, Grenier, Pogba, Yanga are capable enough to perform at such a big platform. & I think Nasri is no more a Ben now (being a BENch in Mancini days). Finals or Semi is the most they can achieve if they don't face the above 2 in any case.

4th team in semis I want to see is either Spain or Italy. The way Italy recovered from humiliation of 2010 in 2012 makes me give them such a high rating. Spain has too many problems & their strikerless formation seems to be overshadowed by German's super agility display & Brazil's Neymar play. Still they have plenty of time to think about it & repair.[/center']

Sorry to disagree on one point: the best playmaker in the World isn't Ozil, but still Iniesta IMO.

For me it will be between Brazil (Home/Scolari factor) and Spain (still the best). Outside chance for reaching the final Germany and the Netherlands.

Germany still not there yet I'm afraid as Löw failes to inspire them in the critical hours and they haven't beaten anyone on their level since the 2010 1/4 final against Argentina; Argentina very outsiders because they have average defenders and midfield; Italy no because of the 12 year rule;).

Worthwile mentioning of reaching the final: Belgium although they havenn't proven their class against top dogs yet, France because they're France, England because they will probably play very closed and win some lucky games, Chile because they have been superb in the last two years and Portugal because of CR7 (if we manage to get through playoffs)

Great thread ;)

For me it will be between Brazil (Home/Scolari factor) and Spain (still the best). Outside chance for reaching the final Germany and the Netherlands.

Germany still not there yet I'm afraid as Löw failes to inspire them in the critical hours and they haven't beaten anyone on their level since the 2010 1/4 final against Argentina; Argentina very outsiders because they have average defenders and midfield; Italy no because of the 12 year rule;).

Worthwile mentioning of reaching the final: Belgium although they havenn't proven their class against top dogs yet' date=' [b']France[/b] because they're France, England because they will probably play very closed and win some lucky games, Chile because they have been superb in the last two years and Portugal because of CR7 (if we manage to get through playoffs)

Great thread ;)

Thanks, mate:)! I only created it, because we started to discuss this topic on another thread:o. Yeah, but I think it's quite imteresting as well.

Hi Pedro, didn't see this thread, sry!

Here we go:

Brazil: They are going to win, very solid team and Scolari has managed to force players to work very hard. Overmore they are the host team, they will be ultramotivated. And they have Neymar, what else? :D

Then these ones without any order:

Spain: I think they are not going to win, but I can't miss them. TOP players, best midfield of the WC and quite good defensive and atacking line. I agree with Pedro about the problem is not not having good striker, they have a lot! The problem is that Del Bosque does not decide between a pure striker or a false 9. But the key problem IMO is that they are far from their best form and there is not a friendly enviorment between some players. Mourinho did a lot of damage there.

I do not know so much the following NT but I think they can be among TOP 4 in Brazil:

Netherlands: poor domestic league but they have rellly good players. They nearly won last WC and I expect them doing a good job. 3 words: Robben Van Persie :D

Germany: German football has grown unstoppable last years, they are doing really well both with Bundesliga and NT and they are getting great profit of this. They might have the best squad of the WC so... we aware of them. The only problem there is Joachim Löw, maybe most (or all) of you will disagree with me but I think he does not measure up in big games, he seemed scared when faced Spain, p.e.

...and...

Argentina: I put them here because is an historical team but I do not really expect to see them winning the WC or even getting to semifinals. They have the best forwards of the world but they are lack of quality players in: goal, denfese and midfield. And a team however much they have Messi cannot win a WC without a solid team.

Also:

Teams to consider: Belgium, Colombia, Chile, Italy and Portugal.

Teams to not consider: England, France and any other non European/South American NT.

I just forget to mention Argentina :D

but guys who putting Belgium, many teams have a decent squad and mostly playing will (France as an example of having a decent squad) but such a team like Belgium don't have the experience for such a competition like the world cup, and this point is very important in big competitions, they may do well but never seen them as a contender :)

Hi Pedro' date=' didn't see this thread, sry!

Here we go:

[b']Brazil[/b]: They are going to win, very solid team and Scolari has managed to force players to work very hard. Overmore they are the host team, they will be ultramotivated. And they have Neymar, what else? :D

Then these ones without any order:

Spain: I think they are not going to win, but I can't miss them. TOP players, best midfield of the WC and quite good defensive and atacking line. I agree with Pedro about the problem is not not having good striker, they have a lot! The problem is that Del Bosque does not decide between a pure striker or a false 9. But the key problem IMO is that they are far from their best form and there is not a friendly enviorment between some players. Mourinho did a lot of damage there.

I do not know so much the following NT but I think they can be among TOP 4 in Brazil:

Netherlands: poor domestic league but they have rellly good players. They nearly won last WC and I expect them doing a good job. 3 words: Robben Van Persie :D

Germany: German football has grown unstoppable last years, they are doing really well both with Bundesliga and NT and they are getting great profit of this. They might have the best squad of the WC so... we aware of them. The only problem there is Joachim Löw, maybe most (or all) of you will disagree with me but I think he does not measure up in big games, he seemed scared when faced Spain, p.e.

...and...

Argentina: I put them here because is an historical team but I do not really expect to see them winning the WC or even getting to semifinals. They have the best forwards of the world but they are lack of quality players in: goal, denfese and midfield. And a team however much they have Messi cannot win a WC without a solid team.

Also:

Teams to consider: Belgium, Colombia, Chile, Italy and Portugal.

Teams to not consider: England, France and any other non European/South American NT.

Don't worry about not having seen this thread before, mate. As you might remember, we started discussing this theme on the wrong place:o. But now we can do it here.

Top 4

Brazil

Spain

Germany

Belgium

Brazil on home soil and have been amazing of late.

Spain.. everyone is quick to write off, but they have won 2 Euros and a WC in a row, and are still a powerhouse team.

Germany On paper have the most delicious squad in a long time that I've seen. they are methodical, creative and disciplined. I predict that they will win the WC, not because of the individual talents of Reus, Gotze, Muller etc, but because of the team functionality and discipline.

Belgium. Bit of a dark horse, don't think they can win it, but i agree with below who siad Euros '16. I think a big WC to mature the squad and then next WC they could be a favourite.

Well, I will also through my thoughts in here and as a German I allow myself to amplify a bit more on their chances and what has been said about them before.

As many have written before, Brazil are the biggest title favourites for me, too. Playing at home is always an advantage. In 2006 Germany reached the semi-final (and just lost against Italy in the last 2 minutes of the extra time) with a far inferior squad than Brazil has these days. Moreover so far a WC in South America has never been won by a European team.

Spain then has the second best chances to win it. Though they don't look as threatening as a few years ago, they still have top class players in their squad. It won't be easy to beat a working team so it will depend a lot on their coach how they will do. At least they have everything to defend the title.

Third place then for me is Germany. As said before the squad looks quite good. Especially the midfield is golden. But it has also some weaknesses. One is the Left Back spot. If Schmelzer won't be out at the WC we do have at least a quite decent solution there - however still not on the same level as on other positions. If Schmelzer would be missing then currently Jansen would be the second choice - or Aogo. Both are not the players I'd wish to see in a team competing for the WC.

Basically the same applies for the Right Back spot by the way - just with the addition that Lahm (other than Schmelzer) currently belongs to the world class in this position.

Another weak spot is the CM. This might sound a bit weird based on the existing players there. Schweinsteiger, Gündogan, Khedira, Kroos or the Bender twins. 5 of these 6 players have played in the CL semifinal last season. But it's more a tactical issue there. Löw likes to play Khedira as a box-to-box player meaning that Khedira is also sometimes attacking. This isn't necessary a bad thing (as the first goal against Ireland shows) - however then the coordination between the players have to work. And this hasn't worked too often in the past. We then had gaps between the defensive midfield and the defence that could be used for the opponents to get us in trouble. I much rather would prefer Khedira purely having defensive duties. I just don't think Löw agrees here.

And last the forward position could also be considered as a weak spot. We currently have the choice between an ageing Miroslav Klose (who shows his skills far less than in the past), Mario Gomez who certainly can be one of the best assist users (if we would play like that), and a false 9 with either Götze or Müller (which hasn't worked that well so far, too).

All in all it will depend a lot on our coach Löw. And remembering his tactical master plan against Italy in 2012 this makes me feel that we don't have the best chances to win the trophy.

Germany still not there yet I'm afraid as Löw failes to inspire them in the critical hours and they haven't beaten anyone on their level since the 2010 1/4 final against Argentina;

As written above I partly agree with you however I have to respond to the bold part. First of all (with due respect) I would hardly agree that Argentina was on our level in 2010. Moreover Germany has won against quite some nations with good names since then (like Brazil, the Netherlands (2x), Portugal, Belgium (2x) and France).

Well' date=' I will also through my thoughts in here and as a German I allow myself to amplify a bit more on their chances and what has been said about them before.

As many have written before, Brazil are the biggest title favourites for me, too. Playing at home is always an advantage. In 2006 Germany reached the semi-final (and just lost against Italy in the last 2 minutes of the extra time) with a far inferior squad than Brazil has these days. Moreover so far a WC in South America has never been won by a European team.

Spain then has the second best chances to win it. Though they don't look as threatening as a few years ago, they still have top class players in their squad. It won't be easy to beat a working team so it will depend a lot on their coach how they will do. At least they have everything to defend the title.

Third place then for me is Germany. As said before the squad looks quite good. Especially the midfield is golden. But it has also some weaknesses. One is the Left Back spot. If Schmelzer won't be out at the WC we do have at least a quite decent solution there - however still not on the same level as on other positions. If Schmelzer would be missing then currently Jansen would be the second choice - or Aogo. Both are not the players I'd wish to see in a team competing for the WC.

Basically the same applies for the Right Back spot by the way - just with the addition that Lahm (other than Schmelzer) currently belongs to the world class in this position.

Another weak spot is the CM. This might sound a bit weird based on the existing players there. Schweinsteiger, Gündogan, Khedira, Kroos or the Bender twins. 5 of these 6 players have played in the CL semifinal last season. But it's more a tactical issue there. Löw likes to play Khedira as a box-to-box player meaning that Khedira is also sometimes attacking. This isn't necessary a bad thing (as the first goal against Ireland shows) - however then the coordination between the players have to work. And this hasn't worked too often in the past. We then had gaps between the defensive midfield and the defence that could be used for the opponents to get us in trouble. I much rather would prefer Khedira purely having defensive duties. I just don't think Löw agrees here.

And last the forward position could also be considered as a weak spot. We currently have the choice between an ageing Miroslav Klose (who shows his skills far less than in the past), Mario Gomez who certainly can be one of the best assist users (if we would play like that), and a false 9 with either Götze or Müller (which hasn't worked that well so far, too).

All in all it will depend a lot on our coach Löw. And remembering his tactical master plan against Italy in 2012 this makes me feel that we don't have the best chances to win the trophy.

As written above I partly agree with you however I have to respond to the bold part. First of all (with due respect) I would hardly agree that Argentina was on our level in 2010. Moreover Germany has won against quite some nations with good names since then (like Brazil, the Netherlands (2x), Portugal, Belgium (2x) and France).[/quote']

Yes, although Brazil play at home, I still think Germany will win it.

They have the deepest squad and their quality is undeniable. Also, they're physically tremendous (strength, fitness, stamina, etc).

I believe we should also consider one detail: the home factor may be benefitial for Brazil, however I think they will feel a huge pressure; we all know how Brazilians are extremely passionate about football and, both the fans and the press will be very demanding with their national team.

Remember when Brazil lost a WC at home, against Uruguay? Brazilians took that defeat very badly and (although it was a long time ago) the Brazilian players won't forget the importance of winning this competition, in their country. So, despite that motivational asset, I guess the Brazilian players will have a tough time dealing with the enormous pressure, to not let their fans down.

To sum it up, the only thing, I want, is that the 2014 WC will delight us with great games and lots of goals.

Well' date=' I will also through my thoughts in here and as a German I allow myself to amplify a bit more on their chances and what has been said about them before.

As written above I partly agree with you however I have to respond to the bold part. First of all (with due respect) I would hardly agree that Argentina was on our level in 2010. Moreover Germany has won against quite some nations with good names since then (like Brazil, the Netherlands (2x), Portugal, Belgium (2x) and France).[/quote']

pretty much hpw id have summed it up if i wasnt lazy, except i believe Germany are as good a shout as Brazil

According to bookmakers:

PSF5Kk8.png

My thoughs about this:

-England above Colombia, Uruguay, Chile and Portugal? :confused: lol

-Argentina seems a good lay.

-There might be some value in Brazil, Netherlands, Portugal and Chile (at least for trading :D).

-Ghana 158? Seems a good trading chance too.

Well done for blinding us.

thanks for your compliments.

Have you tried to use white? Maybe it could be more intelligible :rolleyes:

yeah its good isn't it?

Sorry to disagree on one point: the best playmaker in the World isn't Ozil' date=' but still Iniesta IMO.

Regards:)[/quote']

543784_220422684778252_2099042293_n.jpg

Numbers don't lie dear.