Sir Metz's SoccerManager Guide to Football/Soccer.

The SoccerManager Guide to Football/Soccer.

By Sir (Gavin) Metz

The information found about the positions in soccer can also be found on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_positions. The picture is also found there (link cited below). The picture contains extra positions that are not in SM (SoccerManager), but it still works for the teaching aspect. I have summarized and placed my own opinion into each article for the positions, and have created my own views for how to counter formations. That information is found after the Position Definitions. Please feel free to voice your own opinion, and corrections if you find them necessary. Last but not least….enjoy and learn about the “BEAUTIFUL GAME”.

Definition of each Position (In SM), and their roles on the pitch

Football_positions.png

Defensive Positions:

Goalkeeper G: Their job is to stop the other team from placing the ball in the goal. A Goalkeeper has one of the most specialized positions in the field, and so you will not find a goalkeeper that can play G/AM for example. A Goalkeeper is usually judged upon by their Physical Strength, Height, Jumping Ability, positional sense, reaction time, agility, and judgment. When looking for a goalie, you may want to watch them in real life to see if they have these criteria.

Left Back LB: Their main task is to stop the ball from being crossed or putting the ball back into the penalty area. In today’s day and age, the LB and RB need to have a good tackling ability, speed, and stamina. They are expected to be able to overlap into the attack, as well as defend, which requires speed and stamina. The outside back sometimes proves to be a great penalty kick taker because they tend to focus on one foot, making it great.

Right Back RB: Their main task is to stop the ball from being crossed or putting the ball back into the penalty area. In today’s day and age, the LB and RB need to have a good tackling ability, speed, and stamina. They are expected to be able to overlap into the attack, as well as defend, which requires speed and stamina. The outside back sometimes proves to be a great penalty kick taker because they tend to focus on one foot, making it great.

Center Back CB: Centre-Backs are usually tall, strong and have a good heading and tackling ability. The central defenders job is to stop the strikers from getting to the goalie, and to get the ball out of the penalty area. They usually rely on a zonal defense where each guards a particular zone, or a man-on-man style, where each defender is responsible for a particular striker in order to achieve their goal.

Sweeper: The Sweeper or libero is a more versatile type of centre back that, as the name suggests, "sweeps up" the ball if the opponent manages to breach the defensive line. Their position is rather more fluid than other defenders who mark their designated opponents. The sweeper's ability to read the game is even more vital than for a centre-back.

Defender D: Any player in SM that plays this position is capable of playing any defensive role. In order to find out where you think they would be best, examine them in real life by watching video’s or a game of them. Find out what their skills are, and apply them to the roles of the other positions mentioned before. This will allow them to reach their full potential on the pitch.

Midfield Positions:

Left Mid LM: Their role on the team is to provide support to the attack and defense. This requires lots of speed and stamina. Most outside midfield players are great at crossing the ball and dribbling, as it proves to be lethal on the attack, such as Cristiano Ronaldo. They must be able to attack and defend and transition quickly, like a Centre-Midfield player.

Right Mid RM: Their role on the team is to provide support to the attack and defense. This requires lots of speed and stamina. Most outside midfield players are great at crossing the ball and dribbling, as it proves to be lethal on the attack, such as Cristiano Ronaldo. They must be able to attack and defend and transition quickly, like a Centre-Midfield player.

Center Mid CM: They are a key position to any team as they are the link between the forwards and the defenders. They must be able to attack and defend and transition between these mindsets with ease. They are typically expected to play from box-to-box and are usually great ball distributors. Most teams really on these players to start their attack. Steven Gerrard is a gret example of a good CM.

Midfield M: This player can play any midfield role. To find out where they would fit the best, research your player to find out what skills they possess, and compare them to the other midfield roles. Should you find a match, then look to play them there, otherwise, play them where and when they are needed.

Defensive Mid DM: Their role is to stop an oncoming attack, and then quickly redistribute the ball to an attacking minded player. These players give more freedom to the other midfielders by allowing them to attack more freely, as they do not have to worry about the defensive workload as much. These players should have the passing ability of a CM, and the defensive abilities of a centre-back. Javier Mascherano is a great example of a DM.

Attacking Mid AM: These players are usually the spark to every teams attack. They need to be able to read the game well, and have tremendous passing abilities. If you can throw in pace and dribbling ability, them they will prove to be even better. These players play right behind the forwards and are normally the playmakers of the squad, creating scoring opportunities for the rest of the team. Kaka is a great example of an AM.

Wingers W: Also thought of as a “Forward” position, they are similar to a LM/RM but with fewer defensive duties. Players such as Harry Kewell can be viewed as a winger. Wingers need to posses the ability to dribble and beat defenders and then be able to make cutbacks and crosses to help with the attack. Christiano Ronaldo or Aaron Lennon are great examples of a W.

Forward Positions:

Forward F: The forward, easily confused with the CF and other forward roles, actually has a specific job on the team. They usually are the type of player to make runs at a defender and trying to beat the offside’s trap. They are typically quick players that have the ability to react quickly to things. They have few defensive responsibilities.

Centre Forward CF: Their main task is to score goals, at least more so than the Forward. The center forward is usually a “Target Man” who either distracts the defenders, or receives the ball and goes to goal. They are usually larger stronger players, with a great strike on the ball and good passing ability. Players such as Peter Crouch and Jans Koller are a great example of a target man. Each of these players can receive a ball, hold it for a bit to allow for a buildup in the attack, or turn and go to goal themselves. They provide a distraction because of their unusual size, and must be guarded closely because of their threat or else you are asking for a goal to be scored.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The SoccerManager Guide to Football/Soccer. By Sir (Gavin) Metz The information found about the positions in soccer can also be found on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_positions. The picture is

Re: Sir Metz's SOccerManager Guide to Football/Soccer. How to counter formations By: Sir (Gavin) Metz KEY * =most common formations and sometimes the most effective < =Defensive (Mentality) fo

Re: Sir Metz's SOccerManager Guide to Football/Soccer. Question: What do all of these Tactics Mean? When should I use them? How do I use them to their full potential? These are all great questions to

Re: Sir Metz's SOccerManager Guide to Football/Soccer.

How to counter formations

By: Sir (Gavin) Metz

KEY

* =most common formations and sometimes the most effective

< =Defensive (Mentality) formation

> =Offensive (Mentality) formation

| =Normal (Mentality)

[All mentality settings are subjective, and any formation can be sucessfull using any mentality. I am merely stating the mentalities that I feel would most likely be used to find sucess with the given formation]

*|/> 4-4-2

The Best formation against a 4-4-2 in my opinion is a 3-5-2. The 5 middies allow you do control the midfield, and thus the game. Also, the three in the back are enough to cover the two forwards of the opposition. If you need goals, this formation will also work, as you have 5 middies and two forwards to go at the goal. The problem with this is that you have to have five good/decent middies to play, otherwise you can fall apart in the midfield, and the main tactic of the formation is to control the midfield.

Also, I would suggest going with two attacking middies if you need goals, and two defensive middies if you need to defend....quite obvious I know. If you need goals and only have DM's, the put your tactics on counter attack, and men behind ball. You can also throw in a target man up top if you have a good goal scorer at forward.

*|/> 4-3-3

I would use a formation such as the 4-4-2 or the 3-5-2 formations. This allows you to have control of the midfield, allowing you to stop their attack and go on the attack yourself. Then, when on the attack, you will have enough people to hopefully outnumber their defenders, creating some good scoring chances. Any formation with more than 4 midfielders should do well, as the situation I just described should occur every time.

*|/> 4-5-1

This is a very effective formation if used correctly by the opposition. To stop it, use a 4-1-2-2-1 formation. This will allow you to keep the midfield under control, and then go on the attack. This formation gives you los of players in the attack and on defense because of the large numbers in the midfield. That should give you enough players and skill to stop the 5 middies and forward that will be challenging your keeper. Make sure you have some good wingers if you use this formation.

>3-4-3

I would use a 3-5-2 formation. It’s a very common and easy formation to use. The five Middies should be able to out play the four from the other team, and then set up the forwards with some shots. Make sure you have a decent attacking mid and defensive mid, or two good wingers or LM/RM combination to assist on the attack.

*>3-5-2

This is one of my favorite formations. To go against this formation, you can either copy it, or go with a 4-3-1-2 formation. The 4-3-1-2 allows you to have three forwards to go against their defenders, and also allows you to have plenty of players back to stop the oppositions attack. Again, you can use a target man (Most likely the “1” in the formation) to help distribute the ball to the other two forwards.

>3-3-4

I would use the 3-4-1-2. This allows for you to have a 7-7 in the back, and a 3-3 up top. If you have the better squad, you can hopefully pull off the win. You may even have to try a formation like the 5-3-2 formation, if they have some great forwards. This will allow you to stop them from scoring. You then may want to use the counterattack or target man functions to keep the ball up top for you, allowing you to score.

|5-4-1

Counter this by copying it, or by using a 4-4-2. This will help you have a midfield battle, but still be able to throw some numbers forward for the attack. You can also think about using the 4-1-2-2-1 formation, to dominate the midfield, and then spring an attack against their five defenders. You may also want to think about using the wings for some crossing, since they will have three people in the box and the other two outside trying to stop the cross from happening. Should the cross come however, it can create a good goal scoring opportunity for you

| 5-3-2

Counter it the same way you would counter the 5-2-3 formation…

| 5-2-3

I would counter this formation using a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1 formation. With the 4-4-2 I would try to have an attacking mentality and keep the two forwards and four midfielders shooting. With the 4-5-1 I would try a defensive mentality and counter attack, hoping to draw in their team and have an attack against 3 defenders.

*|/> 4-4-2 (Diamond)

Go with a 3-5-2 or a 4-4-2. You could maybe even go with a 3-4-1-2, depending on the squad that you possess. The key in countering the 4-1-2-1-2 formation is the ability to stop the combination created with the attacking mid and forwards of the other team. This can be done by using defensive mids, tight marking, or outnumbering them with defenders with the 3-4-1-2 or 4-4-2 formation. You also have to be able to go on the attack yourself so you can score. The 3-5-2 formation would be better for this as you would have more people able to go on the attack, with wingers to spread the field, center mids to control the middle, and forwards to do what forwards always do.

|/> 4-3-3 Wingers

I would counter this formation the same way as a 4-3-3. If you are worried about the skill level of their wingers, Ex: Christiano Ronaldo coming at your weak LB or RB, then you can try a 5-2-3 formation, causing you to have wingbacks to keep the wingers busy, but still have a people in the middle to get the ball to your forwards.

| 4-5-1 Defensive

I would try using a 4-2-3-1 formation, causing you to match numbers in the midfield, but still be able to mount an attack yourself. Since they are a defensive formation, you can try to attack like crazy, or you can try and defend against a counter attack which I would expect from the defensively created formation.

|/>4-2-3-1

I would use a 4-5-1 against this formation. It will enable you to go offensive minded and hopefully score goals, but at the same time keep enough people on defense to have a solid shutout opportunity. This one is also good because it keeps the typical yet very effective flat back four on defense.

|/> 4-3-2-1

The classic “Christmas Tree” formation. To counter this one, use the 3-5-2 as well. This will help you to have control in the midfield and still out number their forwards. You will also be able to have basically three up top to do some damage, plus the outside mids to cross the ball in.

*|/> 4-4-1-1

Use the 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 formations. They will allow you to control the midfield and set up a good attack against the four defenders. You will also have enough players back on defense to keep a (hopefully) shutout.

|/>4-3-1-2

I would use the 3-5-2 against this formation. It allows you to conquer the midfield and go on the attack, while still being able to stop their three forward threats. Make sure you have your defensive middie on the field to cut out some of their plays, and re-distribute the ball up top for your offense.

*|/> 3-4-1-2

I would use a 4-4-2. This is because the other team basically has 3 forwards, which can be covered by your 4 defenders. Then they have 4 midfielders, which can battle against your four midfielders. Then you have to figure out how to score against them (As I always think defense first) and I would do that by possibly trying the counter attack or target man. If you have fast forwards then counterattack. If you have good technically sound forwards, then use target man.

|/>3-4-2-1

I would counter this by using a 4-4-2 formation. This is because the other team basically has 3 forwards, which can be covered by your 4 defenders. Then they have 4 midfielders, which can battle against your four midfielders. Then you have to figure out how to score against them (As I always think defense first) and I would do that by possibly trying the counter attack or target man. If you have fast forwards then counterattack. If you have good technically sound forwards, then use target man.

|/> 5-3-2 (Sweeper)

This is a very defensive minded formation. This allows for a lot of defenders, so if you are being scored on a lot, think of using this. It allows for you to have a sweeper on defense, so if the rest of your defenders cant do it, the sweeper is still there. The main problem with this is that if you don’t have outside backs to help with the attack, the attack may lack some “flash” if you know what I mean…

| 5-3-2 (Defensive)

Counter it the same way you would counter the 5-2-3 formation…

|/> 4-2-4

This is an awkward formation. To counter it, use a 4-4-2. This allows you to have middies and defenders back to stop their four forwards, and also still be able to get back onto the offensive side of the ball. Use mixed passing to allow for a variation of long balls to your forwards, and some quick combination play through the midfield to try and release people to goal.

|/> 4-2-2-2

I would probably try a 4-4-2 against it myself. This still allows for the wing play that you have spoken of, but also allows for enough people to defend against the possible 6 people on the attack. Also, the four midfielders can hopefully control the midfield as well, since the other team has their middies split up into 'teams' of two's...

|/>3-4-2-1

I Would counter this formation by using a 5-3-2 Sweeper formation. This will give you enough players to defend with, and the shape of the formation will (hopefully) render their forwards

|/>4-1-3-2

Use the 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 formations again for all of the same reasons….

|/>3-2-2-2-1

I would counter this formation by using a 3-5-2 formation or a 4-5-1 formation, maybe even a 5-3-2 formation. Your team’s failure will come from the other teams incredible numbers in the midfield so try and use a formation where your defense is solid, yet where you have enough people to have a good attack against their 3 defenders.

In-Game Instructions:

If you are wanting to create some “In-Game Instructions” then hopefully this advice of mine will help you. I will not be going through and writing every in game instruction, because you will find out y reading this that there are too many for me to want to type them all out :P

However, I will tell you this… (IMO)

I would only have formation changes where you change one defender to a midfield role or vice versa, or where one midfielder changes to a forward role or vice versa. If you make a change from a 5-3-2 formation to a 3-3-4 formation, then you will have such a big change that your team will not be able to adapt to the new formation quick enough and you will probably have a negative result. If you change from a 4-4-2 to a 4-5-1 formation however, you may find some success. It also depends on the other team’s formations and playing styles as well…so I would say some luck goes into this. Make sure you make substitutes in the positions on the field that have changed if the current player’s position is not what it has been changed to, ex: if a midfielder drops into defense, make sure he is a DM/CB or something like that, otherwise substitute him out so that an actual defender will fill in.

Question: What do all of these Tactics Mean? When should I use them? How do I use them to their full potential? These are all great questions to be asking yourself if you want to become a great manager in SM. Below you will find my own opinion on this subject matter. Please feel free to correct or add to this as well.

TEAM STYLE

Tackling Style: This is how hard the people in your team will go into tackles. This is something that may take more energy, but can really shut down an opponent’s offense. This is because if every time they get the ball you give them a good knock, they will let down or become injured. If you do not have great defenders, you may want to consider laying off of the hard tackles, as it may result in a lot of cards, suspensions and injuries for your team. I would make adjustments depending on the fatigue of your team, and how good your defenders are, and possibly even how your team is doing defensivly. That may be effected by other factors as well though.

Mentality: This is how your team will approach the game. If you select an attacking mentality, then your team will look to get forward and create opportunities to score, but your defense may lack a bit. It works the opposite way if you have a defending mentality (Your team will defend like warriors, but not look to go forward and score). Make adjustments depending on who your key players are out on the pitch and the positions they are playing.

Passing Style: This is how your team will move the ball about the pitch. A Direct style is basically playing right for the goal each time you get it offensively. The long ball is playing a ball to the corner hoping for a break away or a cross to create a goal. Short is where your players will do fancy things like give-and-go’s and use the “Triangles” (For those experienced peoples). This is a great way to move the ball quickly and look good while doing it. The only problem is that if a team has a good defense, it may be hard to get off a clean shot. Mixed is a combination of all of those styles, which can be chaos for any defense to try and defend against if it can be done properly.

Attacking Style: This is where your team will attack from, or where the ball will be coming from on offense. Down Both Flanks is when you use both the left and right side of the field and look for crosses or through balls to the forwards. Then you can do down just one flank. I would recommend this if you have a below par player in the outside of your midfield. Through the middle is trying to use your CM and Forwards to connect and jam the ball right into the heart of the opponent. If it can be done, it will prove to be very effective, but it can be just as hard to accomplish as it requires lots of talent in certain positions (CDM, CM, F, CF, AM ect.)

Tempo: The tempo of the game can be defined as how your team moves the ball. You can go fast, slow or change it up. If you are doing short passes, I would use a fast tempo, and visa-versa. For Long balls, you may want to slow it down a little, to allow time for your forwards to recover after the huge runs they make again and again, and to allow your team to move up the field into an offensive position before having your team hit the ball long. Otherwise, you risk having your team clear the ball to the other team everytime, instead of having the long ball be an offensive threat.

Pressing: In this sense, pressing means where your team will defensively apply pressure. In own area, means that your team will apply pressure in your defensive third. To figure out the thirds, simply divide the field into thirds-your defensive third is where your goalie is at, and then there is the middle third, and the attacking third. Your own half…your team will apply pressure as soon as it enters your defensive side of the field, effectively defending more space than the defensive third. All over means all over. When the other team gets the ball, “look out!" because your team is coming after them. This can cause a lot of fatigue however, as your playes will always be running.

Play Style: Counter attack is when your team goes right on the offense and tries to create a quick goal scoring opportunity since the other team is transitioning from offense to defense. This requires a pacey team as you have to be able to get the ball on the offensive side before the other team can get back and defend. Men Behind ball is when your team tries to place all eleven people behind the ball when the other team has it and when you have it. This will allow for a lot of passing options to keep possession offensively, and will create little space for the other team defensively. Tight marking will make your team closely defend the midfield and forwards of the other team, making it harder for them to pass the ball around, find open space for a shot, or get behind the defense. It can be very effective defensively, but one mistake can be a fatal goal for the other team. Play offsides means your team will pull the offside’s trap. Most teams use this to try and keep a fast forward in front of them, and to keep the other team pushed back into the middle of the field. Again, if your team messes up pulling the trap, they have set a trap for themselves instead! It can still be a very great defending tactic none-the-less. Use play Maker is when your team will look to get the ball to a players foot on your team every time your team goes on the attack. They will then rely on this one person to create chances for your team to win the game. This is a great way to cause trouble for an unorganized/lacking talent defense, as they may not be able to handle your playmaker. However, if your playmaker is shut down, so are your chances of winning. Use Target Man…this is when your team will look to get the ball to a certain players feet, and then play off of them. The target man doesn’t necessarily create chances, he simply keeps the ball on offense to give other players the ability to get the ball from him and go to goal.

Player Assignments:

Captain: Usually the leader of your team. The captain is not always the most skilled. He is usually the one the manager will look to to keep your team doing what it should, and possibly step up their game in heated moments (If your team is losing in the late min. of the game ect. Ect. Ect.) I would think of Steven Gerrard as a great captain-he leads the team by his great play and is always a threat no matter how well the rest of the team is playing, but moreimportantly he is a great leader on and off the field.

Penalty Taker: This guy is the man who takes the penalty kicks. You want him to be accurate more than anything with his shot, but he needs to be able to put some zip on the ball as well. If you miss a penalty kick, the momentum can easily swing out of your favor….

Free Kicks: This player is someone who can place a ball anywhere on the field from anyhwhere. David Beckham is a great free kick taker, as he provides lethal shots and crosses from anywhere, however if you put him on the penalty spot, he may put it 3- yards over (haha!). The Penalty taker and Free Kick Taker are not always the same guy!

Corner Taker: This is someone who can cross a ball with lots of skill. They need to be able to place a ball anywhere in the box from the corner. I tend to feel that the Free Kick taker is a good corner taker, but this may not always be the case, for example, you would want your forward in the box to be there to head the ball into the goal not putting it in for your small little weasel of a midfielder to try and sneak in a garbage goal (That’s not always bad either though ;) ).

Play Maker: This is the guy that you want to be the 'go to man' on offense. If you need a goal, there he is with the ball. If you need a cross, there he is with the ball. If you play a long ball, there he is going after it. I think you get the point….he’s the one with the ball that creates the goal scoring chances.

Target Man: This is the forward that you want to have touch the ball once before you get a shot. Normally he will lay it off to an oncoming midfielder to have a go at the goal. He can also go to goal himself as well. The target man and play maker ae not always the same person either-you don’t want to rely to much on one person for your team to win or else an injury or fatigue will be your nightmare of a lifetime.

Possible team Formations with In-Game instructions on where to have people make runs. Due to the many options of runs that each player can have, there are a plethora of different things you can do with your formations. These are just some commonly used runs that I have come across in my experiences with the game. If you feel as though something else would be better, by all means, use that instead of what I have to offer! Also, option 1 does not mean it is the most successful, it is just a way for me to organize them. In some instances option two may work better than 1 and vice-versa.

*|/> 4-4-2

Option 1: I would have the LM and RM run straight forward down the line. This give you a better opportunity for them to cross the ball and create scoring chances that way

Option 2: Have one CM move in an AM position and the other CM move into the DM position, creating a 4-4-2 Diamond formation. This can help your team if you have a good AM, and/or a good DM, as it will allow the AM to get more involved in the play, and the DM can help defend better should you lose the ball.

*|/> 4-3-3

Option 1: Have the Middle Forward/CF run back towards the CM in order to get the ball and be able to turn and play your other two forwards. This is can be very successful, esp if you have a good CF/target man.

Option 2: Have the two outside forwards run in towards the PK spot, and have the two outside midfielders run down the sideline. This can help you cross the ball into the box and make sure that you have plenty of guys in the box to knock it in for a great goal scoring opportunity

*|/> 4-5-1

Option 1: I would have the two Outside Mid’s run down the sideline in order to help cross the ball into the box, and eliminate your midfielders from only being able to pass forward to the two forwards. This gives you a different attacking option as you can look to go down the flanks.

Option 2: If you only have one good outside midfielder, or are really strong on one side, you can try only moving the strong outside mid down the flank, and then having the forward closest to the midfielders move down and to the Left/right depending on which side you are using. This will help create a passing lane from the outside of the field, straight into your highest forward on the field, or allow for a give and go down the flank to help create a better crossing opportunity for your CF to score off of

>3-4-3

Option 1: I would have the CF run back towards the CM. This will allow him to then play the ball off back to the midfielders, or turn and play the ball into the two forwards that are running through the box.

Option 2: Have the two outside forwards run back and towards the middle of the pitch in order to create a triangle between your three forwards. This opens up many passing lanes and options for your forwards to work with and can help create a lot of goal scoring chances if done correctly.

Option 3: You can have the two CM’s move into an AM and DM position to help get your AM involved in the play. This would be a high risk high reward situation in my opinion however, as you would then be committing a lot of players to the attack, and will leave yourself open to a counter attack

*>3-5-2

Option 1: I would have the two outside Mid’s run down the flank and become a winger basically. This can help give your lone forward options to play with and can help him be more creative in his attack and ability to score or go to goal. Also, the two outside players can cross the ball into the CF a lot more easily, and if you have a CF like Peter Crouch, you can hope for a nicely headed ball to slide down the back of the net for 90 minutes.

Option 2: You could try to have one of your forwards to check back and to the side towards the space in between the LM/RM and the CM that are there. You can then have the opposite side CM make a run to the AM position to try and receive a ball running at the goal and be able to play with the other Fwd or go to goal himself. If you have a very creative CM/AM, this may be a nice option to try.

>3-3-4

Option 1: Have the two wide Forwards check back down the sideline to try and receive a ball from your midfielders and play with the CM, or turn and have a cross. This can help create more crosses and scoring opportunities for the other three forwards that are already in the box.

Option 2: Have the two Center forwards check back, and the wide forwards run to the side towards the penalty spot. This can help create space in the box and players to play the ball into the box, as your two CF can turn and play the wide Forwards into space, when they run through the box to have a strike at the goal.

|5-4-1

Option 1: Have the two CM that are behind the AM run to the sides of the AM in order to have three AM players to get involved in the attack. This can be very beneficial if you have a creative midfield, or are lacking forwards that score up top.

Option 2: Have the two wide midfield players/wingbacks run down the flank to help create more width in the attack, opening up the field for your AM and Forward to have space to work with, and allow for your wide players to get involved in the attack by having crosses into the box.

| 5-3-2

Option 1: Same as Option 2 in 5-4-1 formation

Option 2: Have one AM make a run towards the forwards, and have the opposite side forward check back. This can help make a triangle amongst your two AM and forward, with your other forward still in the box as a threat. This can help create a lot of passes to create scoring chances in the middle of the pitch.

| 5-2-3

Option 1: I would have the CF run back towards the CM. This will allow him to then play the ball off back to the midfielders, or turn and play the ball into the two forwards that are running through the box.

Option 2: Have the two outside forwards run back and towards the middle of the pitch in order to create a triangle between your three forwards. This opens up many passing lanes and options for your forwards to work with and can help create a lot of goal scoring chances if done correctly.

*|/> 4-4-2 (Diamond)

Option 1: I would have your CF check back towards your AM in order to give a better passing option. The players can then turn and go to goal from there.

Option 2: Have your two wide midfield players make a run down the sideline in order to help get forward, cross the ball and be better involved in the attack. This can, however, possible leave you open for the counter attack, as many of your players will be very high on the field.

|/> 4-3-3 Wingers

Option 1: Have your best or most creative AM run forward to try to get involved with passes in the box with the forward and have some shots at goal.

Option 2: Have the two wide midfield players run to the side of the box to help surround the box with offensive threats. If your AM/CM are good enough to get the ball to the forwards without having to take the ball wide, then this may be a good option as it will help stretch the field, but then compact it in the box, leaving the defense stretched and your players open, yet having your players by the goal when the ball is there and able to be kicked in.

| 4-5-1 Defensive

Option 1: I would have the two Outside Mid’s run down the sideline in order to help cross the ball into the box, and eliminate your midfielders from only being able to pass forward to the two forwards. This gives you a different attacking option as you can look to go down the flanks.

Option 2: Have a CM/AM run forward to try to get involved in the play with your forward, helping the forward create goal scoring chances for himself and the rest of the midfield.

|/>4-2-3-1

Option 1: Have the wide players run down the field and in towards the CM. This can help open up options for your AM and allow him to do more with the ball.

Option 2: Have the two CM or DM run forward to give an option for the wide players and AM/CM to play the ball back to. This can help your midfield keep the ball and move it around untill an opportunity to go to goal presents itself.

|/> 4-3-2-1

Option 1: Have the CF check back, and the two Fwd’s run forward, this can allow for a give and go through the box, or allow the fwds to play off of the CF.

Option 2: Have the wide players run forward and get wider on the pitch. This can help stretch the field and enable them to get involved in the play by throwing crosses into the box.

*|/> 4-4-1-1

Option 1: Have the Right Mid run down the sideline in order to help cross the ball into the box. With your forwards staggered the way they are, the RM has a ton of space to work with and if he is good, has a lot of space to do something good with the ball.

Option 2: You can try having the forward that is closer make a run down into the box to have him receive the ball off of the high forward and have a go at the goal.

|/>4-3-1-2

Option 1: Have the close fwd make a run deep into the box, and have the two high forwards check back to receive the ball. In essence, the switch places. This can help open up more options to get the ball to your forwards and still have passing lanes amongst them for them to do something with the ball.

Option 2: Have your wide midfielders run forward in order to get some crosses into the box, since you have three guys in there already. It can also help stretch the defense and get a lot of numbers forward to score. It can however leave you open for a counter attack.

*|/> 3-4-1-2

Same as the 4-3-1-2 formation

|/>3-4-2-1

Same as the 4-3-2-1 formation

|/> 5-3-2 (Sweeper)

Same as the 5-3-2 formation

| 5-3-2 (Defensive)

Option 1: Have your CM move forward into an AM position to try and have the two forwards and the AM combine and try to create a goal scoring opportunity.

Option 2: You can try having ne of your forwards check back into the midfield in order to help the midfield get the forwards the ball. Since you only have 5 men in the attack, this may be necessary to get the ball to the forwards feet so they can try to create a chance at the net.

|/> 4-2-4

Option 1: I would try having a CM move into an AM position to have someone on the edge of the box to collect any clearances from the defense from the crosses your wide players will be having. The AM can also receive the ball from the flanks and have a shot, or combine with the forwards as well and create a chance from that. This can leave you open for the counter attack however, as the formation itself is already extremely attacking oriented

Option 2: I would try having a forward check back towards the top of the box for the same reasons as the AM in option 1. This will help stop you from committing too many players to the attack, since you already have a lot.

|/> 4-2-2-2

Option 1: I would have the two AM’s run wide and down the flank to have crosses and open up the field. This will help stretch the defense and help create crosses, which lead to scoring chances.

Option 2: Have one of the central midfielders run to the space in between the two wide midfielders. This will give you a player that will allow you to switch the field in the middle of the pitch, and keep the ball, instead of going down the flanks and possibly giving the ball away every time.

|/>3-4-2-1

Same as the 4-3-1-2 formation

|/>4-1-3-2

Option 1: I would have the AM run forward to create a triangle with the forwards and create a lot of passing opportunities and allow for creativity between the FWDs and AM, in order to try and get a goal.

Option 2: Have the two wide midfielders run to the flanks and forward. They will get wide opening up the defense and allowing for crossed to be placed into the box for a forward to tap into the goal.

|/>3-2-2-2-1

Same as 4-2-2-2 formation

I hope this is written in an intriguing and fun way so that you can learn what you need to to become the next SM Manager that everyone is talking about. Please feel free to say what you wish, and PM me with any other questions you may have or if you need clarification on something in the future. As always-a post can do the trick as well.

Re: Sir Metz's SoccerManager Guide to Football/Soccer.

Was thinking of Doin Something like this myself few Months Ago but i think Someone Did it before (maybe it wasent here i cant remember) if they did it certinaly was not as detailed.

Good Work but i Dont aggre with You Putting up Tactical Advice & it Generaly Varies Quiet a lot, Depending on Opponents Quality & Your Own.

Still Very Good & Well Presented with Lots of INFO Definatly will help Noobs & WIll Stop Then Asking Questions Anyway. {Hopefully} :P

Il Guess that This Will Be Made a Sticky. ;)

Metz this is a fantastic guide, and have stickied it so all newcomers to the forum can have a read through this aswell as the guide provided by SM, which is on the link below provided by Jeppo.

Superb presentation and dedication I'm sure you will get plenty of rep for this. Well done.

The SoccerManager Guide to Football/Soccer.

By Sir (Gavin) Metz

The information found about the positions in soccer can also be found on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_(soccer)_positions. The picture is also found there (link cited below). The picture contains extra positions that are not in SM (SoccerManager)' date=' but it still works for the teaching aspect. I have summarized and placed my own opinion into each article for the positions, and have created my own views for how to counter formations. That information is found after the Position Definitions. Please feel free to voice your own opinion, and corrections if you find them necessary. Last but not least….enjoy and learn about the “BEAUTIFUL GAME”.

Definition of each Position (In SM), and their roles on the pitch

[img']http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/0/04/300px-396px-Boisko_Positions.PNG[/img]

Defensive Positions:

Goalkeeper G: Their job is to stop the other team from placing the ball in the goal. A Goalkeeper has one of the most specialized positions in the field, and so you will not find a goalkeeper that can play G/AM for example. A Goalkeeper is usually judged upon by their Physical Strength, Height, Jumping Ability, positional sense, reaction time, agility, and judgment. When looking for a goalie, you may want to watch them in real life to see if they have these criteria.

Left Back LB: Their main task is to stop the ball from being crossed or putting the ball back into the penalty area. In today’s day and age, the LB and RB need to have a good tackling ability, speed, and stamina. They are expected to be able to overlap into the attack, as well as defend, which requires speed and stamina. The outside back sometimes proves to be a great penalty kick taker because they tend to focus on one foot, making it great.

Right Back RB: Their main task is to stop the ball from being crossed or putting the ball back into the penalty area. In today’s day and age, the LB and RB need to have a good tackling ability, speed, and stamina. They are expected to be able to overlap into the attack, as well as defend, which requires speed and stamina. The outside back sometimes proves to be a great penalty kick taker because they tend to focus on one foot, making it great.

Center Back CB: Centre-Backs are usually tall, strong and have a good heading and tackling ability. The central defenders job is to stop the strikers from getting to the goalie, and to get the ball out of the penalty area. They usually rely on a zonal defense where each guards a particular zone, or a man-on-man style, where each defender is responsible for a particular striker in order to achieve their goal.

Defender D: Any player in SM that plays this position is capable of playing any defensive role. In order to find out where you think they would be best, examine them in real life by watching video’s or a game of them. Find out what their skills are, and apply them to the roles of the other positions mentioned before. This will allow them to reach their full potential on the pitch.

Midfield Positions:

Left Mid LM: Their role on the team is to provide support to the attack and defense. This requires lots of speed and stamina. Most outside midfield players are great at crossing the ball and dribbling, as it proves to be lethal on the attack, such as Cristiano Ronaldo. They must be able to attack and defend and transition quickly, like a Centre-Midfield player.

Right Mid RM: Their role on the team is to provide support to the attack and defense. This requires lots of speed and stamina. Most outside midfield players are great at crossing the ball and dribbling, as it proves to be lethal on the attack, such as Cristiano Ronaldo. They must be able to attack and defend and transition quickly, like a Centre-Midfield player.

Center Mid CM: They are a key position to any team as they are the link between the forwards and the defenders. They must be able to attack and defend and transition between these mindsets with ease. They are typically expected to play from box-to-box and are usually great ball distributors. Most teams really on these players to start their attack. Steven Gerrard is a gret example of a good CM.

Midfiled M: This player can play any midfield role. To find out where they would fit the best, research your player to find out what skills they possess, and compare them to the other midfield roles. Should you find a match, then look to play them there, otherwise, play them where and when they are needed.

Defensive Mid DM: Their role is to stop an oncoming attack, and then quickly redistribute the ball to an attacking minded player. These players give more freedom to the other midfielders by allowing them to attack more freely, as they do not have to worry about the defensive workload as much. These players should have the passing ability of a CM, and the defensive abilities of a centre-back. Javier Mascherano is a great example of a DM.

Attacking Mid AM: These players are usually the spark to every teams attack. They need to be able to read the game well, and have tremendous passing abilities. If you can throw in pace and dribbling ability, them they will prove to be even better. These players play right behind the forwards and are normally the playmakers of the squad, creating scoring opportunities for the rest of the team. Kaka is a great example of an AM.

Wingers W: Also thought of as a “Forward” position, they are similar to a LM/RM but with fewer defensive duties. Players such as Harry Kewell can be viewed as a winger. Wingers need to posses the ability to dribble and beat defenders and then be able to make cutbacks and crosses to help with the attack. Christiano Ronaldo or Aaron Lennon are great examples of a W.

Forward Positions:

Forward F: The forward, easily confused with the CF and other forward roles, actually has a specific job on the team. They usually are the type of player to make runs at a defender and trying to beat the offside’s trap. They are typically quick players that have the ability to react quickly to things. They have few defensive responsibilities.

Centre Forward CF: Their main task is to score goals, at least more so than the Forward. The center forward is usually a “Target Man” who either distracts the defenders, or receives the ball and goes to goal. They are usually larger stronger players, with a great strike on the ball and good passing ability. Players such as Peter Crouch and Jans Koller are a great example of a target man. Each of these players can receive a ball, hold it for a bit to allow for a buildup in the attack, or turn and go to goal themselves. They provide a distraction because of their unusual size, and must be guarded closely because of their threat or else you are asking for a goal to be scored.

U didn't define Sweeper!!!:eek: :eek: :D :D :).

lol i no what it means, n im jokin. gr8 thread should get stickied and im gonna rep u 4 this

good initial post for sure,

But as Shels i do not agree with you posting your tactical countering advice,these are based from your experiences and they vary from manager to manager from setup to setup and several factors come into place.And myself from experience and trial and error with several of those formation have gathered my own databse of what counter formations to use, and i would disagree with a few of them for sure,sorry

Good quality posts overall tho, and surely will rep you for it

PS if ya want to test some of the counter formation you posted out, i would be glad to test them with you threw friendlies

I'll do some friendlies' date=' but I dont have a gold membership-does that matter? And does it affect the fatigue/injurues/ect of the players on my team?

...its my guide and yet im still asking questions haha[/quote']

Friendlies won't affect your players' fitness, and you can play with injuried or suspended players.

Without a GM you cannot propose a friendly, but you can accept and play all the friendlies people invite you to.

stop wastin your time coz this game has ZERO reality in it. u can use every tactic its all about random. try www.hattrick.org B) and then let see if will ever play the most beautiful game in the world NOT...the SM.

no organization, very unreal, NO all. if u have barca be sure will be winning, u dont have to be THE coach. in a word ZERO.

congrats for ya work, but...

stop wastin your time coz this game has ZERO reality in it. u can use every tactic its all about random. try www.hattrick.org B) and then let see if will ever play the most beautiful game in the world NOT...the SM.

no organization' date=' very unreal, NO all. if u have barca be sure will be winning, u dont have to be THE coach. in a word ZERO.

congrats for ya work, but...[/quote']

Possibly the worst game ive played besides sunday league.

VERY UNREAL ? what opossed to .. weak poor?? they mean.

As for Barce Statement, I challange you to a new Setup with all forumers in it , you can be barce & i can garuntee you, you will fail.

Just seen this thread, Metz, fantastic info mate, keep it up.......

Only one thing..... We need all the people who start a new thread about "Where should I play him, or what formation etc" They need to look at this.... I guess the forum will be spamless (New word?) :D:P

Well done, you got my rep :)

Free Kicks: This player is someone who can place a ball anywhere on the field from anyhwhere. Davic=d Beckham is a great free kick taker' date=' as he provides lethal shots and crosses from anywhere, however if you put him on the penalty spot, he may put it 3- yards over. The Penalty taker and Free Kick Taker are not always the same guy![/quote']

wow im suprised people still remember it after 3 years ago lol

great guide helped me win alot and got me on a 19 game winning steak :D