Sign in to follow this  
Gozzy

Advertising in Match Report???

Re: the deletion of the 'match advertising' thread..

Every advert you make

Every head it break

Every step you take

They'll be leaving you

Every single day

Every game we play

Every Ad you say

Every night it stay

They'll be leaving you

O can't you see

How you annoy me

How my poor heart aches with every Ad you make

Every advert you make

Every head it break

Every step you take

They'll be leaving you

Every single day

Every game we play

Every Ad you say

Every night it stay

They'll be leaving you

O can't you see

How you annoy me

How my poor heart aches with every Ad you make

LOL m8 verry funny. I was thinking of talking to Diddy and making a song; most likely it's a platinum disc at least.

Re: Advertising in Match Report???

:mad: This is beyond a joke. I understand they need to use ads to make money,

BUT, when you're a gold member who has paid to play a free game, you shouldn't have to put up with ads. Especially the sort of spam ads that you often get. . .i.e get ripped in 3 weeks or woman discovers health secret and doctors hate her blah blah :mad:

So i will have to stop enjoying another interesting game dynamic and press the 'View full story.' link to get my result without this advert nonsense.

It needs to be adverts on a free model or paid with no adds model.

I don't like paying to see adverts its very simple.

I brought this point up before in a suggestion thread but no one seemed very keen on the idea. As someone else stated below me; I also use an adblock feature so the ads don't bother me normally. This one is just ridiculous though. I don't even see an ad - just a black box.

I would like to see SM introduce an additional paid feature such as 'SM Supporter'. A number of other sites use this. Users can make a one-off payment of however much they want (with a minimum of £3 for example) to have advertisements removed from the site. They also get a special symbol (or something similar) on their profile to show that they have donated to the site. This could be made available to normal and gold members.

This would more than cover the extra money SM are receiving from adding the extra ads to the site.

yep just noticed that a the couple of "advert" threads have been zapped.

I did post that SM had utter contempt for their users and the thread deletion just goes to prove the point.

I did log a bug ticket about the ads & eventually got a response...

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have now reviewed this ticket and believe that there is no reported bug. This is because without the adverts you would have to pay a subscription to pay the game.Due to this we are now closing this ticket.

as a gold member I AM bl00dy paying... and they set the bl00dy price!!! bunch of shameless devious backhanded money grabbing shysters.

all they had to do was put the price of the gold membership up a few quid (dollars, euros) a year & it wouldn't have negatively impacted the game experience & we wouldnt have moaned a 1/10th as much.

dSmurf

Hi all,

Have been reading this thread with interest and am a little bemused by some responses.

These adverts are an absolute nuisance and ruin the game full-stop -- regardless of whether you are a Gold Paying Member or not. What tiny bit of excitement and tension has gone. I would not wait 30 seconds every time i want to see a score for 40+ teams.

Until about 6 months ago I was a Gold Paying Member with 40+ teams. I did not renew my subscription purely because of the delays and lags that adverts where starting to put on the game.

Since then I have been a non-Gold member with fewer teams. In last few weeks I have been building up teams again and was only this week going to resubscribe to Gold. I most certainly will not be now, and I am probably goiing to stop playing altogether.

All those campaigning for Gold Membership exemption from these adds should remember that an overwhelming majority of players start as non-gold members. Gold members of the future will simply not be their if this stupid profiteering continues. If future gold players are not there, then there is not competition or turn around of teams. That is a pretty bleak future.

However, the site owners do possibly have another option. Maybe they can earn more from advertising than from Gold Members. Simply scrap Gold Membership - make the game free and cram it full of adverts with a ludicrous turnaround of more tolerant players.

The futures bright.....the futures ORANGE (any chance of commission).

I did make my first posts in those original "advert" threads & my post count has magically gone back to zero today!!! those threads are proper gone gone!!!

I did post a bug report (how else can you get a vague response) about the adverts & got this response....

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have now reviewed this ticket and believe that there is no reported bug. This is because without the adverts you would have to pay a subscription to pay the game.Due to this we are now closing this ticket.

I'm a paid up gold member & run a custom game world too!!! go figure!!! not sure i'll be renewing

The whole advertisement is useless.

To add to that I have very bad internet and the place I live in currently has no better internet providers.The ads don't even load,it just sits there as a black window.I literally can't watch the match commentary or even see match report.The only way I can find out results is by pressing "view more",looking at the tables or in my tactics and thus my whole thrill of watching a match progress without knowing the results is gone.The whole reason why I liked the game so much is gone.

Here's how I see it:

- First of all, perhaps it would've been wise to pitch an idea like this to first the mod team of the forum (a good link between SM's upper echelons and the paying community, the customers that fund the business), and then maybe the rest of the forum itself, to gauge responses and circumvent any potential mishaps in the game's 'evolution' (note the usage of inverted commas and apply if you see fit). At least this way the customer is not being left without a sense of having input.

- Secondly, (and tying in with the first point), when the use of adverts prior to the match report was agreed and due to be implemented, no-one outside of the dev team knew anything about it. While perhaps wanting to avoid any negative feedback in a 'too little, too late' scenario, it would've at least given customers the heads-up and maybe softened our scathing blows here on the forum (maybe). At least this way the customer does not feel unprepared.

- Lastly, now that this has all come to a head, the representation of SM to the customers has been nothing short of stubborn. Sure, we understand the need to make money, and the large amounts of revenue that hosting advertisements can bring, but please speak to your consumers in a way so that we know in black and white just why exactly you are doing this. The deletion of the previous thread, and the lack of response to many disgruntled customers quite simply does nothing to appease anyone. In my honest opinion, deleting the last thread has been seen by me as an act of cowardice. Ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away. A simple apology, a mere explanation; anything that makes your customer feel somewhat valued for the service that they provide in paying you for yours, it really doesn't hurt. At least this way the customer doesn't feel undermined.

So, where do we go from here?

- Certainly take the time to not only keep your paying customers, but also attract new ones with one easy step - Listen to others in this thread, and add the ability to skip/have no adverts before a match report if you are a Gold Member. Two birds, one stone.

- Learn from previous mistakes. As I stated above, perhaps implement a better way of gaining feedback/raising awareness about future changes, rather than adopting a somewhat gung-ho style and adding features as soon as it is possible. Even it is something so trivial, and, in all honesty, as harmless to the overall match experience as adding adverts before the match report (but the inconvenience this causes is the main concern, of course). Consider adding a bulletin somewhere on the game's home screen (another Marmite new feature), where we know what is being planned in the game's development, and consider redeveloping this Game Development board to allow us to have our say on any potential developments.

- Lastly, take on more/better people who can answer to the customers. It'll save you some headache, and give us some messengers to shoot. We're good at that. :)

Here's how I see it:

- First of all' date=' perhaps it would've been wise to pitch an idea like this to first the mod team of the forum (a good link between SM's upper echelons and the paying community, the customers that fund the business), and then maybe the rest of the forum itself, to gauge responses and circumvent any potential mishaps in the game's 'evolution' (note the usage of inverted commas and apply if you see fit). At least this way the customer is not being left without a sense of having input.

- Secondly, (and tying in with the first point), when the use of adverts prior to the match report was agreed and due to be implemented, no-one outside of the dev team knew anything about it. While perhaps wanting to avoid any negative feedback in a 'too little, too late' scenario, it would've at least given customers the heads-up and maybe softened our scathing blows here on the forum (maybe). At least this way the customer does not feel unprepared.

- Lastly, now that this has all come to a head, the representation of SM to the customers has been nothing short of stubborn. Sure, we understand the need to make money, and the large amounts of revenue that hosting advertisements can bring, but please speak to your consumers in a way so that we know in black and white just why exactly you are doing this. The deletion of the previous thread, and the lack of response to many disgruntled customers quite simply does nothing to appease anyone. In my honest opinion, deleting the last thread has been seen by me as an act of cowardice. [b']Ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away.[/b] A simple apology, a mere explanation; anything that makes your customer feel somewhat valued for the service that they provide in paying you for yours, it really doesn't hurt. At least this way the customer doesn't feel undermined.

So, where do we go from here?

- Certainly take the time to not only keep your paying customers, but also attract new ones with one easy step - Listen to others in this thread, and add the ability to skip/have no adverts before a match report if you are a Gold Member. Two birds, one stone.

- Learn from previous mistakes. As I stated above, perhaps implement a better way of gaining feedback/raising awareness about future changes, rather than adopting a somewhat gung-ho style and adding features as soon as it is possible. Even it is something so trivial, and, in all honesty, as harmless to the overall match experience as adding adverts before the match report (but the inconvenience this causes is the main concern, of course). Consider adding a bulletin somewhere on the game's home screen (another Marmite new feature), where we know what is being planned in the game's development, and consider redeveloping this Game Development board to allow us to have our say on any potential developments.

- Lastly, take on more/better people who can answer to the customers. It'll save you some headache, and give us some messengers to shoot. We're good at that. :)

A lot of fair and reasonable points. The dev team did appoint a "spokesperson" to an extent in Vicky, yet it seems that she is rarely on here to answer such issues that have been raised by many in this thread, seems more information gets put on twitter than on the forums that are directly linked to the game itself.

What is clearly disconcerting for many of us is the feeling of not being involved and undervalued in such matters that has ultimately affected the enjoyment of the game itself.

We do have mods and then above them the admins such as Stuart and Sean, who I feel are most certainly not kept in the loop in such matters as the match advertising and game updates, furthermore I imagine the devs attitude is 'why should they be involved.' Surely something now must be implemented to help bridge the gap between us the gamer and the Devs, as mods and admins are as much in the dark as we are to such changes and a dev popping on to the forums to check out the furore once every week (at best) only highlights the lack of consideration for the paying customer. I for one am perplexed at the lack of interaction from the devs in trying to appease this issue as it is still clearly a massive bone of contention for all.

Nothing positive has been said by this forced advertising ploy and they have to sit up and take notice.

:mad: This is beyond a joke. I understand they need to use ads to make money' date='

BUT, when you're a gold member who has paid to play a free game, you shouldn't have to put up with ads. Especially the sort of spam ads that you often get. . .i.e get ripped in 3 weeks or woman discovers health secret and doctors hate her blah blah :mad:[/quote']

if I am not mistaken, the type of advert will depend on the country you are in.

I brought this point up before in a suggestion thread but no one seemed very keen on the idea. As someone else stated below me; I also use an adblock feature so the ads don't bother me normally. This one is just ridiculous though. I don't even see an ad - just a black box.

So this is not just me who have this problem.

Quick update... after my "bug" ticket regarding the advert was closed stating that we would have to pay a subscription! I opened another bug ticket, stating I DO pay to play & I would like the advert removed... they just closed the ticket, no response!!!

After my first bug ticket re adverts was closed with a "you'd have to pay/subscribe if the adverts were not there"... I opened another ticket stating I did already pay via Gold membership & custom game world... & they just closed it with no response!!!

Unfortunately this is what happens when a company cares more about money than quality.

As setups stand:

- Nearly 400 gold championships

- Just over 8000 German championships

- Over 7000 French championships

- Nearly 8000 Brazilian championships

- Almost 14500 Italian championships

- Coming up to 29500 English championships

- Over 35000 World championships

- Over 26000 Spanish championships

- Past 5000 European championships

And thats without random ones like Russia, Australia, Portugal etc etc - then you have how many thousands of customs....

With the amount of people that have purchased clubs in these one hundred thousand plus setups you would think SM would re-invest in a realistic match engine, & decent player rating changes system rather than adding this pathetic money making advertisment ploy!

None of what is said on here will be listened too though, which just adds to the disappointing state this game is heading deeper & deeper into.

Over the past couple of months I have taken far more of an interest in these forums than the game itself, sad state of affairs really.

All of them are money driven who can make any kind of debate with customers , I asked before , can anybody make a complain to a consumer protection agency ?

their contacts are :

Address

Soccer Manager Ltd

PO Box 442

Preston

PR2 3UG

United Kingdom

Respuesta: the deletion of the 'match advertising' thread..

I'm an active forumer of "Spanish Forum", loggin in everyday, and I have to say "SM YOU'RE A SHAME, MAKE ME SICK", the match advertising is the worst you can do, I'm very upset :mad:, manage around 10 clubs (Already quit), in the past I was a Goldmembership, Buy credits for extra slots, and for buy a custom gameworld. I leave the game, I know maybe you don't care, maybe you think you can bring 10 new "users", but never a "customer" like me.

Goodbye! I don't wanna be a willing stooge.

People don't waste your time and money leave this

If I back will be for sabotage your stupid game

Hello Chaps

I am a gold member and also purchase extra club slots, I currently manager 17 teams.

Over the past few months the adverts have become more and more intrusive...particularly the ones where just sliding the cursor over it kicked it to life...I'd attempt to quickly delete it, but mostly only managed to lose the video whilst the audio soundtrack carried on regardless in the background...I don't know about anybody else but this, to me, was particularly annoying...I'd have to go back to the home page to start again and then to be more careful with site navigation, often losing my train of thought in the process...so i downloaded Adblock for the first ever time, I'd never felt the need for this on any site previously...so, my first point is that your game is the best ever advertisement for Adblock...

Everything was then fine and I got back to playing and enjoying a great and very addictive game.

Then things took a turn for the sinister and every time I clicked on 'view match' I got welcomed with a blank black screen which lasts for about 5 seconds before normal service is resumed...now if this new feature only impinged on my own teams matches it wouldn't be anywhere near as stupefying and frustrating...but, before i set up my team for a match, i check the opposing teams' schedule for their previous formations and I like to look at the previous 5 matches that they have played and, you've guessed it, I get the blank black screen every single time, it makes setting up my team much more laborious and,in these days of instant gratification, we want, and usually get, information quickly and at our fingertips...as a consequence I have found that i'm spending less and less time on this exercise, so, of course, some of the depth of the game is being lost to me...now I ask you what game developer wants players spending less time playing its game and not using features that add detail and complexity to the game, surely they would want people getting even further into the machinations of a game, to pull them in more to what is a very addictive game, surely the deeper they get into it the more they will spend? or, in the very least, they will spend more time playing, staying on the site and viewing the less intrusive adverts?

The point being, is that now every time I click on my opponents 'view match' and get the advert screen i feel a visceral tinge of sadness, each one, like a little dagger stabbing...in psychological terms this is profound, these little flickers of anxiety plant seeds and grow in the mind, now how many of these instances do you think it takes before consciously or unconsciously interest in the game wanes? nobody plays this game forever, which suggests a shelf-life, so, in my opinion, this latest featural addition can only hasten this happening and to ultimately decrease the shelf-life of a gamer.

Finally, I feel that with adverts on websites it is a fine balancing act and punters will put up with so much, as long as it appears fair and reasonable, but this latest intrusion has tipped the scales significantly, its a shame and its very sad.

Re: Advertisements instead of view match?

Hello Chaps

Apologies for the re-post, I originally posted it in the wrong thread.

I am a gold member and also purchase extra club slots, I currently manage 17 teams.

Over the past few months the adverts have become more and more intrusive...particularly the ones where just sliding the cursor over it kicked it to life...I'd attempt to quickly delete it, but mostly only managed to lose the video whilst the audio soundtrack carried on regardless in the background...I don't know about anybody else but this, to me, was particularly frustrating...I'd have to go back to the home page to start again and then to be more careful with site navigation, often losing my train of thought in the process...so i downloaded Adblock for the first ever time, I'd never felt the need for this on any site previously...so, my first point is that your game is the best ever advertisement for Adblock...

Everything was then fine and I got back to playing and enjoying a great and very addictive game.

Then things took a turn for the sinister and every time I clicked on 'view match' I got welcomed with a blank black screen which lasts for about 5 seconds before normal service is resumed...now if this new feature only impinged on my own teams matches it wouldn't be anywhere near as stupefying and frustrating...but, before i set up my team for a match, i check the opposing teams' schedule for their previous formations and I like to look at the previous 5 matches that they have played and, you've guessed it, I get the blank black screen every single time, it makes setting up my team much more laborious and,in these days of instant gratification, we want, and usually get, information quickly and at our fingertips...as a consequence I have found that i'm spending less and less time on this exercise, so, of course, some of the depth of the game is being lost to me...now I ask you what game developer wants players spending less time playing its game and not using features that add detail and complexity to the game, surely they would want people getting even further into the machinations of a game, to pull them in more to what is a very addictive game, surely the deeper they get into it the more they will spend? (I did) or, in the very least, they will spend more time playing, staying on the site and viewing the less intrusive adverts more frequently?

The point being, is that now every time I click on my opponents 'view match' and get the advert screen i feel a visceral tinge of sadness, each one, like a little stabbing dagger...in psychological terms this is profound, these little flickers of anxiety plant seeds and grow in the mind, now how many of these instances do you think it takes before consciously or unconsciously interest in the game wanes? nobody plays this game forever, which suggests it has a shelf-life, so, in my opinion, this latest advert addition can only hasten this happening and to ultimately decrease the shelf-life of the game.

Finally, I feel that with adverts on websites it is a fine balancing act and punters will put up with so much, as long as it appears fair and reasonable, but this latest intrusion has tipped the scales significantly, its a shame and its very sad.

Hello Chaps

I am a gold member and also purchase extra club slots' date=' I currently manager 17 teams.

Over the past few months the adverts have become more and more intrusive...particularly the ones where just sliding the cursor over it kicked it to life...I'd attempt to quickly delete it, but mostly only managed to lose the video whilst the audio soundtrack carried on regardless in the background...I don't know about anybody else but this, to me, was particularly annoying...I'd have to go back to the home page to start again and then to be more careful with site navigation, often losing my train of thought in the process...so i downloaded Adblock for the first ever time, I'd never felt the need for this on any site previously...so, my first point is that your game is the best ever advertisement for Adblock...

Then things took a turn for the sinister and every time I clicked on 'view match' I got welcomed with a blank black screen which lasts for about 5 seconds before normal service is resumed...now if this new feature only impinged on my own teams matches it wouldn't be anywhere near as stupefying and frustrating...but, before i set up my team for a match, i check the opposing teams' schedule for their previous formations and I like to look at the previous 5 matches that they have played and, you've guessed it, I get the blank black screen every single time, it makes setting up my team much more laborious and,in these days of instant gratification, we want, and usually get, information quickly and at our fingertips...as a consequence I have found that i'm spending less and less time on this exercise, so, of course, some of the depth of the game is being lost to me...now I ask you what game developer wants players spending less time playing its game and not using features that add detail and complexity to the game, surely they would want people getting even further into the machinations of a game, to pull them in more to what is a very addictive game, surely the deeper they get into it the more they will spend? or, in the very least, they will spend more time playing, staying on the site and viewing the less intrusive adverts?

The point being, is that now every time I click on my opponents 'view match' and get the advert screen i feel a visceral tinge of sadness, each one, like a little dagger stabbing...in psychological terms this is profound, these little flickers of anxiety plant seeds and grow in the mind, now how many of these instances do you think it takes before consciously or unconsciously interest in the game wanes? nobody plays this game forever, which suggests a shelf-life, so, in my opinion, this latest featural addition can only hasten this happening and to ultimately decrease the shelf-life of a gamer.

Finally, I feel that with adverts on websites it is a fine balancing act and punters will put up with so much, as long as it appears fair and reasonable, but this latest intrusion has tipped the scales significantly, its a shame and its very sad.[/quote']

100% agree & just about everybody on forum does. I'm quitting slowly over other things I'm not happy with, but this has brought things to a head now. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Just one thing, been exchanging messages in 1 of my GW's & 1 player says he doesn't get the adverts anymore. No he hasn't got Adblocker & he is NOT a Gold Member . So has anybody else heard this response elsewhere??? :confused::confused::confused:

100% agree & just about everybody on forum does. I'm quitting slowly over other things I'm not happy with' date=' but this has brought things to a head now. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Just one thing, been exchanging messages in 1 of my GW's & 1 player says he doesn't get the adverts anymore. No he hasn't got Adblocker & he is NOT a Gold Member . So has anybody else heard this response elsewhere??? :confused::confused::confused:[/quote']

I thought they'd reversed the change and removed the adverts - I can now view the match results as before, no hint of video adverts in sight.

That said, my last match was a day or two ago, and I couldn't originally see it because of the ads, so perhaps the adverts only appear when viewing the match results just after they happen?

I've got a match tomorrow night, I'll see if I get any ads before I can view the match result, or if I'm still "ad free"

Just for info, playing on iPad, dolphin browser, non-gold member.