The Ashes Part 2 (in Australia)

infernito

After a boring series in England ruined by bad pitches and even worse umpiring, here's another Ashes series to look forward to. The build up's been the usual; the Australian media letting off gas. Let's hope Shane Warne can think of something negative to say about AUSTRALIA as they get their arses handed to them on a plate again.

The England team could be interesting with more question marks over positions then there has been for a while. They'll still be too good for the cons.

Prediction : Australia 0 - 5 England

Re: The Ashes Part 2 (in Australia)

Decent first day if we can wrap the innings up quickly and get them out for under 300 that is a great effort on that pitch which looks great for batting. Brilliant display by Stuart he is the type of charachter who will lve the stick he is getting and use it as motivation so happy for the Aussies to continue barracking him. :)

Massive day for my mate Mr Carberry tomorrow best of luck pal, if he and Cook can stave off the New Ball we could and should make a big score on that pitch if we bat properly.

Wake up....see score.

Absolutely Pathetic, just seen the wickets dire batting, only ne to come out with any credit was Carberry but that is scant consolation for yet another England batting collapse. I ain't one for OTT reactions but.....

Australia 5 England 0 :o

Just might be if we can't sort out our batting woes, dire against the shorter ball and a few of them Trott and Root in particular just look absolutely shot of confidence the Aussies have worked em out, cook as well.

I enjoyed the Aussies crushing the english :D but sad to hear this morning that Jonathan Trott has pulled out of the Ashes series.

Jonathan Trott' date=' the England batsman, has left the Ashes tour with a stress-related illness that he has been coping with for some time and will not return for the remainder of the series following the visitors' 381-run defeat in the first Test at the Gabba. [url']http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013-14/content/current/story/692405.html[/url]

Shades of Marcus Trescothick..

Well dunno where to start with that test absolutely appalling display from start to finish.

Obviously the main concern is the batting to be bowled out for under 200 on a track which did not really do a lot, barely any seam movement, swing, we basically got blitzed by pace and reckless shot selection.

We simply have to improve and find a way to play it, technically Bell played the short ball the best he looked clear in his plan to leave/duck where as some of the others simply looked bewildered.

Trott was all the over the place although given the revelations today he can certainly be forgiven. I don't claim to know anything about mental health issues but it takes a brave man to admit to having a problem and I really hope he gets the help he needs and comes back stronger.

Other batsman who is extremely worrying is Prior, the nature of his two dismissals were feeble, he averages 15 in his last eight tests so I Read and just appears to have no clear plan, bowlers bowl to eliminate shots to the off side and he looks bewildered.

The others Cook, Pietersen, Carberry, Root showed glimpses of form but bar Cook a lack of composure, concentration and we basically IMO gifted Johnson at least seven of his nine wickets through poor shot selection.

I don't blame the bowlers to much as only having a 50 over break in that heat is not nearly enough, has been the case for a long time that our batting has been letting us down much more than the Bowlers and the bowlers need help from the Batsman to be at there best. Slightly worrying will be if the Aussies keep the onslaught against Swann going. England rely on Swann to hold an end up with only a four man attack and if he is hit out the game puts so much stress on the other three bowlers, workload almost unmanageable.

Completely outplayed so credit to the Aussies, they have overstepped the mark with some of there comments for me and personally although I appreciate a bit of niggle in the game always happens some of the comments picked up by the stump mic were OTT and quite disturbing when you start talking about breaking body parts etc I don't like it.

Seems to be being played in such a volatile, hostile environment which is to be expected but there has to be a line somewhere as to what is and is not acceptable, I am sure England dish it out as well so not just an accusation at the Aussies.

Jonathan Trott' date=' the England batsman, has left the Ashes tour with a stress-related illness that he has been coping with for some time and will not return for the remainder of the series following the visitors' 381-run defeat in the first Test at the Gabba. [url']http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013-14/content/current/story/692405.html[/url]

Shades of Marcus Trescothick..

very sad but I doubt the ICC cares at all, it will continue to fill the schedule without any thought to those who are responsible for bringing in the huge tv deals.

Ray, it might have been bad and very frustrating but it wasn't an appalling start.

very sad but I doubt the ICC cares at all' date=' it will continue to fill the schedule without any thought to those who are responsible for bringing in the huge tv deals.

Ray, it might have been bad and very frustrating but it wasn't an appalling start.[/quote']

Errr being beaten y 381 runs the 6th worst defeat in England's history in terms of runs......

I think that is a pretty appalling start and about as comprehensive a beating as a team can have, love to know what is much more appalling than that :o:o

Errr being beaten y 381 runs the 6th worst defeat in England's history in terms of runs......

I think that is a pretty appalling start and about as comprehensive a beating as a team can have' date=' love to know what is much more appalling than that :o:o[/quote']

you mentioned the test not the series and the first day was very impressive, it did go slightly downhill from there though.

Australia' date=' as a country, need to grow the hell up. Shocking losers and even worse winners. Banter is a part of sport, verbals, aka sledging, is not. Respect your opponent as, as Andy Flower said, you don't know what your words and actions might lead to.[/quote']

Oh I dunno it depends on the content of what you are saying I suppose, it is not an exact science but what Clarke said for me was way over the line.

Not all sledging is OTT and some of it is quite amusing.

Reminds of that time I think it was Glenn McGrath was bowling to a plumpy Zimbabwean by the name of Ed Brandes I think it was.

McGrath: Hey Ed how comes your so fat?

Brandes: Coz Everytime I sh.. Your wife she gives me a biscuit

Come on that is just class :P

It's a good response but i don't see the need for the comment from Mcgrath. Not every one's gonna have the thick skin to let it bounce off them which clearly that Zimbabwean had I watch cricket because it's, meant to anyway, be above such nonsense and a game for gentlemen. It's turning into another form of Football.

Sick of Warner, sick of Shane Warne, sick off the Australian media, sick off Australia. We need to hammer them.

It's a good response but i don't see the need for the comment from Mcgrath. Not every one's gonna have the thick skin to let it bounce off them which clearly that Zimbabwean had I watch cricket because it's' date=' meant to anyway, be above such nonsense and a game for gentlemen. It's turning into another form of Football.

Sick of Warner, sick of Shane Warne, sick off the Australian media, sick off Australia. We need to hammer them.[/quote']

I do find it somewhat ironic your dislike of sledging considering the amount of verbal jousting you engage in on this forum ;)

It is a part of the game though and has been for donkeys years. It is obvious why people do it, intimidation trying to incite a mistake etc but lets not be to high and mighty on this England have quite a few players if there own who can "churp" with the best if them Jimmy and Prior spring to mind instantly.

I personally think a it of banter is ok it is all part of that mental toughness you need to play the game it is a mental as well as a physical examination if you as a cricketer but needs to be made sure not to overstep the mark as Clarke clearly did.

Will agree with you on Warner though the guy is just an absolute tool and again his comments on Trott from one professional to another was bang out of line, the less said about what Mr Warner's brother posted upon hearing about Trott this morning the better....absolute cretin

It's a good response but i don't see the need for the comment from Mcgrath. Not every one's gonna have the thick skin to let it bounce off them which clearly that Zimbabwean had I watch cricket because it's' date=' meant t[b']o anyway, be above such nonsense and a game for gentlemen. It's turning into another form of Football.[/b]

Sick of Warner, sick of Shane Warne, sick off the Australian media, sick off Australia. We need to hammer them.

Cricket was only a gentleman's game when the British Empire ran the show.

What's interesting is that would the reaction been the same if Trott was not ill, as I would assume Warner made the comments without knowing the state of the man's mind.

Also was it wise for the team's management to carry "damaged goods" into the heat of one of the most intense cricket battles-bearing in mind they have had prior experience with Marcus, Yardy ...

Cricket was only a gentleman's game when the British Empire ran the show.

so if we hadn't given India back to the Indians, they wouldn't be running the world of cricket now?

don't suppose there is any hope that we only gave it back on a short term lease?

so if we hadn't given India back to the Indians' date=' they wouldn't be running the world of cricket now?

don't suppose there is any hope that we only gave it back on a short term lease?[/quote']

Nope-nor can you easily drain SA, Zim, India etc pond to fill yeah own..:D

Anyway after witnessing some of the toughest test matches it is a bit naive to want's Warner's blood if he did say those things IF he did not know Trott's condition. IN fact it is the English team management who chose to throw the guy in an especially volatile after the Broad incident.

As for Clarke-while I don't condone the statements made about breaking hands/arms, he's not the first to do so-and lets get real-you wanted tough test cricket where men were separated from the boys a la 60-80's. Now you have got it-let the players get on with it and the disciplinary committees do there job.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's probably time we considered dropping the entire batting line up. This is disgusting.

I am wondering if Smut thinks this might qualify as appalling yet :rolleyes:

Because I am an insomniac I woke up at 3 and sat through this pile of sh tie

Bell was fabulous and Carberry batted very well was unlucky to get out a great catch by Warner but KP, Root just basically gave it away.

The rest of the Batting line up folded like a pack of cards as per usual. Prior is in horrific nick, Stokes ain't a number six batsman in any form of the game and basically they all look petrified of Johnson and basically don't look like they are up for the fight.

Comes to something when Monty is showing more guts and fight with the bat than those players who should be.

I think Cook, Carberry, Bell, Jimmy and Broad are safe you could easily argue any of the rest on current form have an argument to be dropped. Think KP will be safe as well but he just keeps giving his wicket away they ain't got him out with a decent ball this series and to fall for the same thing 3x in a row is beyond careless.

Swann and Prior have been two stalwarts for England but they are ripping Swann to pieces both bowling and batting and Prior's run of form over the past year has been horrific....it can't go on forever.

I think you are all living in a dreamworld.

the whole of planet earth has been closed for a couple of days now and wont open again until after Mandela's funeral.

the only thing to be mentioned in the media is Mandela or Mandela or someone who knew someone who had a cousin that once saw Mandela get wet in the rain.

I think you are all living in a dreamworld.

the whole of planet earth has been closed for a couple of days now and wont open again until after Mandela's funeral.

the only thing to be mentioned in the media is Mandela or Mandela or someone who knew someone who had a cousin that once saw Mandela get wet in the rain.

Yeah nothing else to watch on TV in SA. Here's some quotes I found on the bbc cricket website.

Stephen Brenkley of the Independent on

TMS: "I wonder if this team has achieved all it's

wanted to achieve. They say they desire it - but

do they desire it as much as when they came

here three years ago? I think it's achieved

everything it's going to' date=' and in terms of batting,

bowling and fielding, it's coming down the other

side of the hill."

Email [email']tms@bbc.co.uk[/email]

Tim, Manchester: Although they would never

admit it, to what extent is this current slump

down to a possible feeling of "Been there, done

that, got the T-shirt" when it comes to winning

the Ashes? Most of this team were in Aus in

2010-11 and have won the Ashes three or four

times. Australia are clearly having their 2005

moment and it is clear that England lack the

same motivation to win. Perish the thought, but

do England need to lose the Ashes to really want

to win them again?

Yeah nothing else to watch on TV in SA. Here's some quotes I found on the bbc cricket website.

Stephen Brenkley of the Independent on

TMS: "I wonder if this team has achieved all it's

wanted to achieve. They say they desire it - but

do they desire it as much as when they came

here three years ago? I think it's achieved

everything it's going to' date=' and in terms of batting,

bowling and fielding, it's coming down the other

side of the hill."

Email [email']tms@bbc.co.uk[/email]

Tim, Manchester: Although they would never

admit it, to what extent is this current slump

down to a possible feeling of "Been there, done

that, got the T-shirt" when it comes to winning

the Ashes? Most of this team were in Aus in

2010-11 and have won the Ashes three or four

times. Australia are clearly having their 2005

moment and it is clear that England lack the

same motivation to win. Perish the thought, but

do England need to lose the Ashes to really want

to win them again?

I think i'll stick to watching my tv without turning it on.