The Forum Rumour Thread

Bobo

The Forum Rumour Thread  

1. 1.

• Yes, very handy, I love keeping up to date in football news ect...
    • It's not bad, not a complete waste of time...
    • No, not useful, who is Bobo? He must be mad! :)
    • Simply a complete waste of time...

yeah' date=' i was just thinking of the server resources really... in a year or so this thread could grow up to a thousand or so pages long.

up to you though mate. i love going on [url']www.fulhamweb.com[/url] too

huh? you a fulham supporter? if not, why would you go on that site?! anyway...maybe notmy business.. ok.. ill do something else to see if im doing the right thing... feel free to vote on my poll!

8th July

Newcastle plan to make a move for unsettled Manchester United striker Ruud Van Nistelrooy. (Daily Mail)

Bayern Munich are also interested in Van Nistelrooy and are poised to table a formal bid. (Times)

Manchester United are preparing to launch a bid for Spanish forward Torres even though he has a £41.4m buy-out clause at Atletico Madrid. (Times)

Arsenal are set to buy Yaya Tore from Olympiakos for £7m and unite him with his brother Kolo. (Daily Mirror)

Old Trafford officials have denied reports that Italy coach Marcello Lippi will join Sir Alex Ferguson's back-room staff. (The Guardian)

Portsmouth are poised to sign striker Nicolas Anelka on a season-long loan deal from Fenerbahce. (Daily Mirror)

Watford are preparing a £500,000 bid for Aston Villa midfielder Lee Hendrie. (Daily Mirror)

Sunderland defender Julio Arca has issued a 'come and get me' plea to Spanish side Espanyol. (Daily Mirror)

Fulham are locked in a three-way tussle with Watford and Charlton for Leyton Orient's 20-year-old defender Gabriel Zakuani. (Daily Mirror)

David Beckham is close to agreeing a new deal with Real Madrid, scotching rumours of a planned switch to Newcastle. (Various)

Hamburg's new signing Vincent Kompany says he turned down a move to Chelsea saying: "I did not want to play Russian roulette with my career". (Independent)

GERMANY GOSSIP

Crocked England striker Michael Owen has criticised former boss Sven-Goran Eriksson for taking the untested Theo Walcott to the World Cup. (The Sun)

Fifa boss Sepp Blatter has been clamping down on cheating players at the World Cup but has admitted he used to dive when he played in the Swiss amateur leagues. (Various)

Former Chelsea boss Claudio Ranieri says Sven-Goran Eriksson's "calm" reign as England boss turned England from lions into lambs at the World Cup. (The Sun)

WORLD CUP FUNNIES

England midfielder Frank Lampard was given a painful World Cup reminder as he began his holiday in the South of France - the yacht he hired was flying a Portugal flag. (Daily Mirror)

Cafe Marcanne in Berlin is showing its love for France captain Zinedine Zidane by serving up a Zizou salad under the gaze of a huge cardboard cut-out of the man himself. (The Independent)

There are culinary fans of Italy too with a restaurant in Duisburg, where the team train, offering the Pizza Gattuso. (The Guardian)

Ever-present German legend Franz Beckenbauer has a theory on why there have been so few goals at the World Cup: ""The decisive mistake for me was that the players didn't shoot at the goal." Well, that's cleared that up then. (Press Association)

Manchester City fan and Oasis guitarist Liam Gallagher will be Italy's lucky mascot for the World Cup final. The rocker is friends with Alessandro Del Piero and the Italy striker has told him to wear exactly the same clothes he was wearing for the semi-final win against Germany. (Fifa World Cup website)

i think its pretty handy, not just saying it to make me look good, i read it nearly every time, like reading rumours, hope some go true, especially for the saints

1mil for rudi skacel, should be a good buy, but anyway bobo, good stuff ;)

I'd like to thank these people who gave positive votes...

Bobo, leamingtonsteve, nav, Neller, Sky Blue Lee, tokyojoric, ryan_d... as for the others who voted the last one... well can sware or anything.. its just opinions I suppose... and Mrs. Fly... u know who Bobo is... !

Really good thread Bobo!

For people like me' date=' who lives in a country without news from europe (except on BBC Financial) it's of great value knowing what's going on there. You should work for the SM Blog![/quote']

lol, thanks m8

I'd like to thank these people who gave positive votes...

Bobo' date=' leamingtonsteve, nav, Neller, [b']Sky Blue Lee[/b], tokyojoric, ryan_d... as for the others who voted the last one... well can sware or anything.. its just opinions I suppose... and Mrs. Fly... u know who Bobo is... !

I need this thread simply because I'm too lazy to sod off these forums and go on BBC sport.......I wonder how Cov did tonight, they're important (Lee wanders off into the sunset)

9th July

Newcastle are lining up to £7m bid for Germany striker Miroslav Klose after Alan Shearer tipped the Werder Bremen man as his successor. (Sunday Mirror)

Arsenal will step up their plans to sign France defender Lilian Thuram following Sol Campbell's exit. (People)

Chelsea are poised to make a £15m offer for Argentina forward Carlos Tevez. (People)

Tottenham are leading the chase for Swedish World Cup striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic. (Daily Star, Express)

Cristiano Ronaldo wants to quit Old Trafford but Wayne Rooney has urged him to stay, saying there will be no afters from their World Cup bust-up. (Various)

Sir Alex Ferguson is in Berlin to size up Italy duo Gennaro Gattuso and Andrea Pirlo - the Man Utd boss also has his eye on Owen Hargreaves. (Sunday Mirror)

Chelsea will sign Italy captain Fabio Cannavaro on a three-year deal after the World Cup final. (Mail)

Arjen Robben will stay at Chelsea rather than move to Real Madrid. (NOTW)

Ruud van Nistelrooy will be told he has no future at Manchester United this week. (Sunday Mirror)

Manchester United will allow Ruud van Nistelrooy to join Real Madrid for £16m. (Mail on Sunday)

Fulham are ready to hijack Reading's swoop for Ghana World Cup midfielder John Mensah. (Various)

Bobby Zamora is set to leave West Ham following the arrival of Carlton Cole from Chelsea. (Various)

Middlesbrough boss Gareth Southgate has made a £3.5m bid for Lyon striker Sidney Govou. (News of the World)

Charlton hope to sign Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and then sell Darren Bent to Spurs for £12m. (Daily Star)

Portsmouth are making a £6m bid for Benfica's Portuguese midfielder Manuel Fernandes. (Sunday Mirror)

Milan Baros will be on his way out of Aston Villa if a deal with FC Hamburg can be reached. (People)

West Ham are stepping up their bid to land James Milner from Newcastle but are hoping to reduce his £3.8m price-tag. (People)

Manchester United have moved closer to securing Villareal midfielder Marcos Senna in a £3.5m deal. (Various)

Harry Redknapp will make a shock £2m raid for Manchester City defender Sylvain Distin. (People)

Former West Brom boss Gary Megson wants to become the new Wolves boss. (People)

Wolves legend Steve Bull is also interested in becoming part of the new management set up. (Daily Star)

Birmingham will step up their interest in Fulham striker Collins John (Various)

QPR are set to sign Togo World Cup midfielder Alaixys Romao while the Hoops will also give a run out to Joel Drogba - brother of Didier. (Star)

Rangers are set to swoop for Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner. (NOTW)

Leeds are poised to sign Ipswich midfielder Darren Currie for £250,000. (Sunday Mirror)

Portsmouth chairman Milan Mandaric is set to sell the remaining 51% of the club to co-owner Alexandre Gaydamak and leave the club. (Various)

GERMANY GOSSIP

Arsene Wenger says if France captain Zinedine Zidane holds aloft the World Cup he will have earned the right to be mentioned in the same breath as Pele and Maradona. Having said that, Wenger already thinks he is, "an exception, a genius." (Various)

Fifa are still mulling over who will stage the 2014 World Cup. Brazil are favourites but Dubai could come into contention as the powerful Maktoum family have already pledged £500m to stage several football events. (Sunday Mirror)

Lightning France forward Franck Ribery has dropped a heavy hint to Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger that he would relish a move to Arsenal from Olympique Marseille. (Sunday Mirror)

England boss Steve McClaren will turn to Sir Clive Woodward, the mastermind behind England's 2003 rugby World Cup win, for advice on leading the football team to success. (Various)

More England players are expected to criticise former England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson in the aftermath of the World Cup. An agent close to many of the squad has said: "The general view among the players is that he was pretty hopeless and didn't have a clue." (The Observer)

New Real Madrid boss Fabio Capello says the FA approached him about becoming England manager (News of the World)

Germany boss Jurgen Klinsmann has hinted he wants to return to the Premiership as a manager. He has yet to sign a new deal with Germany and said: "If there was an opportunity to go back to England then I would seriously consider it." (People)

Former Newcastle player Ruel Fox is aiming to "do a Trinidad and Tobago" and steer Montserrat to the World Cup as their manager. (People)

Ruud van Nistelrooy's international career could be over following a training-ground bust-up with Holland boss Marco van Basten. (News of the World)

WORLD CUP FUNNIES

Germany and Chelsea midfielder Michael Ballack has turned his thoughts to football management and believes he has hit on a winning formula. "I'd always pick myself," said the ever-modest midfielder.

Well at least Germany coach Jurgen Klinsmann has won something - he's been voted the best-dressed coach at the World Cup with Spain's Luis Aragones the worst. (Daily Star)

Ruud Van Nistelrooy is having more trouble on the transfer market. A website for sticker collectors is offering five Van Nistelrooys for one Miroslav Klose. (Daily Star)

More on Jurgen Klinsmann. The VW beetle the German drove while at Tottenham has received bids of more than £200,000 on auction site eBay but Klinsmann warned: "I really couldn't recommend bidding for that car. It was completely rusty when I sold it." (Sunday Telegraph)

Latest football news... also on the 9th July...

Wayne Rooney has been suspended for two matches and fined £2,400 by Fifa following his red card against Portugal in the World Cup quarter-final. World football's governing body found the 20-year-old striker guilty of violent conduct as a result of his stamp on defender Ricardo Carvalho. The Manchester United star will miss England's Euro 2008 qualifying matches against Andorra and away to Macedonia. He will be available again for the home game against Macedonia on 7 October.

Fifa has banned two Argentina players for their part in the brawl following their quarter-final defeat by Germany on penalties. Substitute Leandro Cufre was given a four-match ban and fined £4,800 for kicking Germany defender Per Mertesacker in the groin. Maxi Rodriguez was banned for two games and fined £2,400 for throwing punches.

Arsenal have announced that defender Sol Campbell is to leave the club so he can seek a "fresh challenge". Campbell, 31, made 197 appearances for the Gunners after joining the club from arch rivals Tottenham in 2001. "It is with a sense of pride, achievement and the desire for a fresh challenge that I depart," he said. Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger added: "Sol has been a giant for us but we respect his decision to move on and of course, we are very sorry to see him go."

Portsmouth have increased their bid for Celtic midfielder Stilian Petrov. The 27-year-old Bulgaria international midfielder is keen to move to the Premiership club but Celtic rejected Portsmouth's initial offer. Pompey boss Redknapp said: "We decided to give it another go with Stilian because I'd really like to get him. It is entirely up to Celtic what happens with the bid and I wouldn't tell them what they should do. I would very much like to get a deal done." Petrov is under contract until 2010 but has submitted a transfer request and has made public his desire to play in England's top flight.

Liverpool's bid to sign Sevilla full-back Daniel Alves has stalled, according to the Spanish club. The Reds have formally tabled two bids for the 23-year-old but have yet to meet the asking price of around £12m. Alves is keen to move to Liverpool, but Sevilla president Jose Maria Del Nido said he wants the Brazilian to stay. "We're 15% away from reaching agreement in terms of what we want and what they are offering. Negotiations halted on Monday. This makes me happy," he said. Del Nido admitted that he had not convinced Alves that his future lay with Sevilla. But he added: "Sevilla doesn't want Alves to leave the club. It is the player's desire to leave and the tempting deal they (Liverpool) have offered him has been the reason why we have had to sit down and negotiate."

Deportivo La Coruna claim they have reached a verbal agreement with Liverpool to sign the Reds' promising Spanish defender Antonio Barragan. Barragan has made just one senior appearance for Rafael Benitez's side - against CSKA Sofia last August - since leaving Sevilla last summer. "There is a verbal agreement between the three parties," read a statement on Deportivo's official website.

Fulham are on the verge of signing Leyton Orient defender Gabriel Zakuani, according to the League Two side. The two clubs have been in talks over the 20-year-old Democratic Republic of Congo international for the past month. However, the O's have revealed that they are close to agreeing a fee with Fulham - and expect the deal to be completed on Monday. The fee is reportedly set to exceed the club record £600,000 that Orient were paid for John Chiedozie in 1981.

Valdas Ivanauskas has urged Hearts Russian owner Vladimir Romanov to step up his interest in signing South Korean World Cup striker Ahn Jung-Hwan. The Tynecastle head coach told the Daily Record: "We are still interested in Ahn. We have quality strikers here but he would give us something extra. He has lots of experience of international football and he says he wants to play in the Champions League. So we will talk to him and see if he wants to come to Hearts."

Italy coach Marcello Lippi has dismissed reports linking him with a move to Manchester United after the World Cup. Lippi, who is yet to confirm whether he will remain in charge of the national team after tomorrow‘s final against France, has been talked of as a possible successor Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford. “How can you work in a place where you don’t even know the language?” said Lippi when questioned about the possibility of going to the Premiership giants. “It’s not true. All I am interested in is winning the World Cup and I find it useless to speak about the rest. If you don’t believe me, come and see where I will be in 15 or 20 days’ time. It will not be in Manchester. I will be in the middle of the sea,” added Lippi, a keen sailor. Reports claimed Lippi would first work alongside Ferguson at Old Trafford. The former Juventus coach has also been linked with a return to the Turin giants after Fabio Capello resigned for a second stint as Real Madrid coach.

Drogheda United have parted company with winger Keith Fahey. The 23-year-old midfielder is believed to have been involved in a bust up with manager Paul Doolin and has now left the club he joined just last July. Fahey has played 10 games for the Drogs this season but is now on the look-out for a new club.

Cristiano Lucarelli has officially taken 10 days to decide if he’ll accept a move to Russian outfit Zenit FC. There had been rumours in the newspapers that the Livorno striker was flying out to St Petersburg to complete negotiations this week, but the official confirmation came with a note on the club’s website this afternoon. “With regards to the recent transfer speculation regarding Lucarelli, we inform you that following yesterday’s talks between Livorno and Zenit St Petersburg, the two clubs have agreed to take 10 days to evaluate the future development of negotiations for his move to the Russian side.”

Marcel Desailly has slammed Italy's World Cup credentials. “They don't really deserve to be in the Final,” insisted the former Milan midfielder. “They have shown only 45 minutes of good football in the second half of their semi with Germany.”

FIFA President Sepp Blatter may want a crackdown on diving, but he has admitted to doing it himself while a player in Switzerland. “I was not a perfect player, being a striker,” he said. “I tried also to get some advantages by falling down and saying that player touched me when he hadn’t.”

South Africa insist the country’s hearts will beat as one when they host the World Cup in 2010, as the tournament comes to the continent for the first time. “We come from a country where football is not simply a game, but an enduring passion,” said President Thabo Mbeki. “We are confident the competition will do the same to consolidate our self-respect and our dignity, which was gained when we attained our freedom and democracy in 1994.”

Portugal Coach Luiz Felipe Scolari slammed resentful England fans for jeering Cristiano Ronaldo and insists other players were far guiltier of diving than the Manchester United winger. “What the England fans did was totally absurd,” he said. “I'm sorry for him because I'm afraid he might be mistreated when he goes back to England.”

Germany shrugged off the disappointment of their semi-defeat by Italy to claim third place at the 2006 FIFA World Cup by beating Portugal 3-1 in Stuttgart on Saturday, 8 July 2006. Bastian Schweinsteiger enjoyed a night to remember in the hosts' farewell match at these finals, scoring twice in the second half as Germany finished the tournament with the bronze medal - and 14 goals to their name, three more than any other team with just Sunday's Final to play. Schweinsteiger opened the scoring with a swerving shot from distance after 56 minutes and five minutes later the same player's low free-kick was diverted into his own goal by Portugal's Petit. With 12 minutes remaining Schweinsteiger struck Germany's third goal with a fine effort into the top corner before two Portugal substitutes conjured up a late consolation for Luiz Felipe Scolari's side. Luis Figo, on his final appearance for his country, sent over a perfectly placed cross for Nuno Gomes to head past Oliver Kahn, denying the German goalkeeper one last clean sheet before he too bowed out of the international arena.

to continue with the other one...

Germany may have lost the FIFA World Cup, but they have found a new

The agent for Lyon midfielder Mahamadou Diarra has hinted that his client is eagerly awaiting a call from Real Madrid. The French champs are reportedly asking a price that approaches what Chelsea paid for Michael Essien last summer. "It has been said to me (new Real president) Calderon is interested, but nothing else" Frederic Guerra told Marca. "If the possibility arises, I do not think that Diarra would refuse to play there."

Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo believes he should leave the club and play abroad. The Portugal international has come in for a lot of criticism throughout the World Cup, especially for the role he played in Wayne Rooney's sending-off during the quarter-final against England. Although the winger denied trying to influence the referee after his club-mate Rooney clashed with Ricardo Carvalho, television cameras later picked up the 20-year-old winking at his bench when the England forward was dismissed. And after Portugal's 3-1 defeat to hosts Germany in the third-place play-off Ronaldo spoke for the first time about his future. "I think I should get out of Manchester," he said. "The circumstances are not right to keep playing in Manchester. In two or three days I will decide where to go. I always said I wanted to play in Spain. Nobody stood up for me at Manchester, although I did not do anybody any harm." Ronaldo, a £12.24million signing from Sporting Lisbon in August 2003, has been linked with Real Madrid in the last week and it appears the Bernabeu could be a likely destination. When new Real manager Fabio Capello was asked about Ronaldo he said: "He is a Manchester United player. Everyone wants to come to play here and I think he really wants to and this is good news for me. We will have to wait and see but at the moment I cannot say anything."

West Ham are being linked with a season-long loan move for Chelsea winger Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Arsenal are believed to be stepping up their efforts to sign Yaya Toure from Greek club Olympiakos.

David O'Leary appreciates Aston Villa cannot expect to land a sizeable fee for Milan Baros. An £18million buy-out clause was inserted in the contract which Czech Republic international Baros signed at Villa Park last August. Villa never hoped to net that much when they decided to entertain bids this summer but considered making a profit on the £6.5million they shelled out to Liverpool for the 24-year-old. But with only eight Premiership goals to his name in 2005/6, Baros has lost much of the value he accumulated after top scoring at Euro 2004. O'Leary told the Express and Star: "I don't think we'll be asking the same price as we thought before, under the clause." Villa chairman Doug Ellis will hold face-to-face talks with Hamburg officials on Monday, but the Bundesliga club have already threatened to wait for the transfer fall-out from the Serie A match-fixing scandal if they feel the Birmingham club are demanding an unrealistic fee.

Blackburn chairman John Williams has dismissed speculation linking Shefki Kuqi with Coventry.

MKS Pogoń Szczecin trainee Kamil Grosicki has signed a 5-year professional contract with the club. The promising Poland Under-18 forward featured in two top-flight games last season.

Jurijs Popkovs has resigned has head coach of Latvian First Division side FK Jurmala following the team's disappointing showings in domestic league and cup competitions. Jurmala currently lie fifth in the eight-team top flight. The 45-year-old is expected to be replaced by former Skonto FC midfielder and Latvian international Vladimirs Babičevs, who will function as a player-coach.

Hibernians FC have taken the early spoils ahead of the Maltese season by winning the Euro Challenge Cup, which pits the country's three participants in European competition against each other. The reigning Maltese Cup-holders beat Sliema Wanderers 3-1 at the National Stadium to win the trophy for the first time in their history.

A 39-year-old Volkswagen Beetle that once belonged to Germany coach Juergen Klinsmann is on sale in a frenzied auction and has surpassed the price of another Volkswagen once owned by Pope Benedict sold a year ago. The blue 1967 VW convertible that Klinsmann drove in 1994 and 1995 while playing at Tottenham Hotspur has jumped from 105,000 euros to over 300,000 euros ($383,200) in the internet auction eBay. The car's owner, who lives in the Stuttgart suburb Boeblingen, wants to remain anonymous but has registration papers that includes "Juergen Klinsmann" as a previous owner, according to the Stuttgarter Zeitung newspaper on Saturday. The price for the auction that began on July 1 and runs to Tuesday is well above the $245,000 an internet casino paid last year for a used Volkswagen Golf owned years earlier by Pope Benedict XVI. "I really couldn't recommend bidding for that car," Klinsmann said at recent news conference. "It was already completely rusty when I got rid of it." Klinsmann has said he gave away the car, which was fun to drive as well as being something of an anti-establishment symbol, over 10 years ago when a mechanic told him it was "kaputt".

Swindon have handed trials to released Queensland Roar striker Royce Brownlie. Brownlie is one of several trialists that have joined the Robins for pre-season training and all are likely to get a run-out for the Robins in their first friendlies against Forest Green Rovers and Cirencester Town.

Three late goals from Khairul Amri helped Young Lions bounce back from last round’s defeat and resume their title hunt with a 3-0 mauling of Sporting Afrique in the 17th round of the Singapore League. A 3-2 defeat to Home United had allowed the chasing pack to inch up on Young Lions last week and against Sporting Afrique Amri managed to find the opening goal only on 70 minutes after a prolonged period of nerves. The same player made it 2-0 on 81 minutes and wrapped up the game with his hat-trick goal a minute from time. The three points put some distance between Young Lions (35) and Singapore Armed Forces FC (31) who defeated lowly Gombak United after a struggle 4-2. Tampines Rovers kept in touch with the top-two after a 2-0 win over Geylang United. The goals were scored on either side of the break by Peres De Oliviera and Mirko Grabovac. Home failed to build up on last week’s hardfought win over the leaders and were held to a 1-1 draw by Sporting in a catch-up match after Jeon Kyeong Joon’s 26th minute opener was cancelled by Ifesinachi Nwaigwe on 79 minutes. In another game, Albirex Niigata drew 2-2 with Wellington Woodlands.

Monday, 10th July 2006, Rumours

Ghana captain Stephen Appiah wants to join Arsenal but his club Fenerbahce want to persuade former Gunner Sol Campbell to join them first. (The Sun)

Cristiano Ronaldo is prepared to go on strike to secure his move to Real Madrid but Man Utd boss Sir Alex Ferguson wants him to stay. (Various)

Manchester United could sign Nuri Sahin from Borussia Dortmund for £6m if Ronaldo leaves. (The Independent)

Man Utd will snap up West Brom keeper Tomasz Kuszczak for £4m. (Various)

Dietmar Hamann is set to snub Bolton and join Manchester City on a free transfer. (Various)

Wigan boss Paul Jewell is flying to Holland to sign Dutch World Cup midfielder Denny Landzaat from AZ Alkmaar for £2.2m. (The Sun)

Portsmouth have offered Real Betis £4.9m for midfielder Edu. (Times)

Cesc Fabregas has pledged his future to Arsenal to scotch rumours of a move to Real Madrid. (Various)

Celtic want to sign Croatia midfielder Niko Kranjcar for around £2m and Aston Villa defender Ulises De La Cruz for £1m. (The Independent)

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is set for a medical at Charlton on Monday. (Times)

Jonathan Woodgate is determined to fight for a place in Real Madrid's back four when he starts pre-season training on Wednesday. (Various)

Birmingham have made a £3m bid for Fulham striker Collins John. (Mail)

Crystal Palace boss Peter Taylor will not give Australian defender Tony Popovic a new deal. (Various)

Wigan are set to make a fresh offer for former striker Nathan Ellington. (The Times)

Rangers midfielder Fernando Ricksen is sent home early from a pre-season trip to South Africa after his behaviour on the flight. (Daily Record)

Celtic defender Stanislav Varga is expected to return from the side's pre-season trip to USA with a new one-year contract. (Daily Record)

Aberdeen midfielder Scott Severin could miss the early weeks of the SPL season with a knee injury. (Daily Record)

Inverness Caledonian Thistle striker Craig Dargo hopes to extend his deal beyond summer 2007. (Daily Record)

Manchester United are going back to the banks to allow the Glazer family to re-finance their debts with a plan to take out a new £500m loan secured against future ticket sales at Old Trafford.

GERMANY GOSSIP

Former England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson has turned down the chance to coach Jamaica. His agent also revealed the Swede had also said no thanks to a non-English Champions League club. (Various)

But reports in Portugal suggest Eriksson is being lined up to replace Luiz Felipe Scolari as Portugal coach with Scolari off to rejoin Brazil. (Daily Star)

Despite an outpouring of support - and a plea from Franz Beckenbauer himself - German boss Jurgen Klinsmann says he needs a few more days before deciding whether to stay on as coach. (Various)

WORLD CUP FUNNIES

It seems England fans have been drowning their sorrows after a disappointing World Cup. Officials figures reveal £285m will have been spent on beer alone during the tournament. (The Sun)

What does Fifa president Sepp Blatter do when there is no football to watch? Crosswords and computerised card games, all in the company of his teddy bear Frederick, according to the Daily Mail.

Monday, 10th July 2006, News

Former England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson has turned down an offer to manage a Champions League club, according to his agent Athole Still. Eriksson is pondering his future after failing to guide England beyond the World Cup quarter-finals in Germany. Still told BBC Five Live Sport: "We've turned down an offer from a Champions League club but not in this country." He also revealed that the Swede rejected the opportunity to take over the Jamaica national team.

New Real Madrid manager Fabio Capello says the Football Association were denied the chance to speak to him about becoming the next England boss. The former Juventus boss revealed that the FA wanted to interview him after it was announced that Sven-Goran Eriksson would step down after the World Cup. But Capello told the News of the World: "The FA asked Juventus if it was possible to have an interview with me. At the time Juventus said I was their coach and they said no."

Germany captain Michael Ballack fears his chance of lifting the World Cup disappeared when his side were beaten by Italy in the semi-finals. The Chelsea midfielder, 29, starred as Germany reached the last four but says it is unlikely he will be able to lead his country in South Africa in 2010. "I will be almost 34 and at that age there is no guarantee I will be there," Ballack told Welt am Sonntag newspaper. "I realised this could be my last chance to be a world champion."

Portugal winger Luis Figo and striker Pauleta both ended their international careers after the 3-1 World Cup third-place play-off defeat to Germany. Figo, 33, bowed out after winning his 127th cap - a record for Portugal - as a substitute in Stuttgart. "It is hard for me to end my international career in this way. I did everything I could and the team gave their all," said Figo. Pauleta played 88 times for Portugal, scoring 47 goals. "This is the saddest day of my career. Playing for this team, scoring for this team was what I most loved doing but my time has come," said the 33-year-old Paris St Germain forward.

Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo says he will join Real Madrid or Barcelona after making it clear he wants to leave Old Trafford. The 21-year-old has been criticised in England for his role in the sending off of United team-mate Wayne Rooney when Portugal beat England in the World Cup. "I should get out of Manchester as the circumstances are not right," he said. "Nobody stood up for me and my desire is to play in Spain. Will it be Real or Barcelona? It will be one of them." Ronaldo claimed: "For some time I haven't had any support from my chief executive (David Gill) or my coach (Sir Alex Ferguson). They should have come out in my defence but no-one did. I am calm, I know I have done a good job and I've grown a lot in this World Cup, from a physical point of view and a mental one. In the next few seasons I will be even better."

Arsenal's Cesc Fabregas expects to report for pre-season training with the Gunners on 24 July and is unfazed by Real Madrid's reported interest. Madrid's new president Ramon Calderon claimed the 19-year-old would be signed as one of his election promises but the midfielder has rejected talk of a move. "I'm not thinking of anything other than playing for Arsenal next season," he told Mundo Deportivo newspaper. "I'm an Arsenal player 100%. No-one has told me anything to the contrary."

Chairman Freddy Shepherd has warned fans to disregard much of the transfer speculation surrounding Newcastle in the wake of rumours over David Beckham. The Daily Mail claimed the Real Madrid midfielder was seen having talks with Shepherd at a London hotel last week. However, Shepherd has distanced himself from the report and told the club website: "Fans should not pay too much attention to what is being written. All this speculation has nothing to do with us and it's out of our control."

Sheffield Wednesday striker Marcus Tudgay will be out of action for at least two months after sugery to repair severed tendons in his toe. The 23-year-old suffered the injury to the second toe of his right foot at a family barbeque, but boss Paul Sturrock said there was nothing odd about it. "He's a model professional and there was no indiscretion from him over this," he told the club website. Wade Small, Drew Talbot and Richard Wood are also pre-season worries. Wood has torn a thigh muscle in pre-season training and while Small has a calf problem. Talbot, who missed much of last season with back trouble, is awaiting the result of a scan on a knee injury. He picked up the knock in training last week and it is thought to be strained ligament of a torn cartilage.

Gordon Strachan has admitted that his young Celtic squad is too inexperienced and lightweight for their forthcoming Champions League campaign. Ahead of a three-game American tour, the manager said: "When I first arrived here we were old and we've tried our best to get young players. But we need that experience. If you look at the teams who do well in the Champions League they always have it. We can't just rely on Neil Lennon and Paul Telfer in the Champions League."

Uruguay striker Diego Forlan has extended his contract with Spanish club Villarreal until 2010. The 27-year-old, whose original deal was due to expire in 2009, joined the club from Manchester United in 2004. He was the top scorer in the Primera Liga in his first season, scoring 25 goals and helping the club qualify for the Champions League. Forlan said: "I feel very comfortable here and have never seen myself leaving the club."

Jonathan Woodgate is keen to prove his fitness to new Real Madrid boss Fabio Capello in pre-season training. Injury problems have restricted the 26-year-old to only 14 appearances in two years at Real but, after training at old club Leeds, he is raring to go. "I can't wait for 12 July to arrive so I can run with the others and work hard to show those who doubt me I'm ready for the new season," said the defender. "Nothing would make me happier than to wear the white shirt at the Bernabeu."

South Africa president Thabo Mbeki says fears that his country is not financially or logistically equipped to host the World Cup in 2010 are unfounded. Mbeki said South Africa will fulfil all of Fifa's requirements for hosting the event, which will be held in Africa for the time. "We engaged in detailed discussion about what Fifa expects of the host country and that included matters of financial guarantees," he said after talks with German chancellor Angela Merkel on Saturday. "So we have done all the sums and all the calculations and we are quite satisfied that we will be able to meet these obligations."

Former France defender Marcel Desailly questioned Raymond Domenech’s decision to take off Thierry Henry during the World Cup final defeat to Italy. Henry appeared to be struggling with a hamstring injury but Desailly believes Henry should have been kept on if at all possible to take a penalty. Italy then won the shoot-out 5-3, with David Trezeguet rattling the crossbar with his spot-kick. Desailly said: “The game, as we knew it would be, was about whose nerve would collapse and France didn’t find the power to go forward and make a difference - you saw the coach taking off Thierry Henry and you have to think about penalties sometimes.”

Shelbourne today bowed out of the Intertoto Cup, despite a 1-0 victory in their second round second leg match against Odense. The Danish side led 3-0 after last week’s first leg, and Pat Fenlon’s men were unable to overcome the deficit at Tolka Park today. Former Cameroon international midfielder Joseph Ndo gave the eircom League side hope with a 32nd-minute goal. But Shels, fourth in their domestic league, were unable to repeat their European heroics of last season, when they reached the second qualifying round of the Champions League before losing to former champions Steaua Bucharest.

Oliver Kahn claims there could be no better moment to retire from international football than after going through “the hardest period” of his career. Less than two months before the World Cup in his own country, the long-time Germany number one lost his starting job to Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann. He could only sit and watch as Jurgen Klinsmann’s team ignited a national wave of euphoria which carried them all the way to the semi-finals, where Italy clinched a 2-0 victory deep into extra-time. Last night’s third-place play-off versus Portugal spelled payback time for Kahn. Klinsmann has always hailed the former captain’s professionalism and even handed him the captain’s armband as he regained his place in Stuttgart. Kahn immediately announced his international retirement following a glorious performance in the 3-1 victory. “You cannot finish any better,” he said afterwards. “It was a wonderful match. This was great. Emotionally this was probably the most special match, topped only by the World Cup Final in 2002. But this was almost a tick better, with the crowd and the euphoria.” The former world goalkeeper of the year said the decision to call it quits came easily. “During the last days, it was clear that this would be my last match,” he said. “You have to be realistic. I am still pretty young but I would be 40 at the next World Cup. Dino Zoff became world champion at 40. But that was a different time, some 20 or 25 years ago. Football has changed.”

Portugal boss Luiz Felipe Scolari claims Germany have staged a “fantastic” World Cup, despite seeing his side lose 3-1 to the hosts in the 3rd place play-off match. “The crowds here have been fantastic and knew how to respect Portugal,” he said. “They acted in the spirit of the World Cup, to make friends.”

Monday, 10th July 2006, News 2

French World Cup star Franck Ribery has admitted he would love to play in England. “The Premiership is a great place to play,” said the winger. “It would be especially nice under a French manager, but I can’t think about that now. I have the World Cup and that is the biggest thing in my life at the moment.”

Former England boss Bobby Robson claims that the Three Lions lacked any real desire for the game. “I think we needed a bit of hunger to want to win,” he said. “I don't think some of our players played to their maximum potential.”

Thousands of rice growers have left their paddy fields in northern Nepal during the harvest, to walk up to three days to watch the World Cup Final in the district capital of Phungling. With no television in the mountains, whole families have traveled down for the game between Italy and France. “I have come down with 20 of my friends and we will all watch it in a hotel room together,” said one traveller, Anish Limbu of Sawadin.

Wayne Rooney is pleading with his Manchester United teammate Cristiano Ronaldo not to leave Old Trafford and has made it clear he holds no grudges over his red card. “It is time to put all this behind us,” said the England striker. “I am looking forward to playing alongside you for Manchester United next season.” Reports in the Sunday papers claim that Ronaldo’s house outside Manchester has been vandalized.

Milan claim that goalkeeper Nelson Dida will stay at the club next season – even if he doesn’t sign a new contract. Talks between both parties concerning a renewal have stalled which did lead to claims that Dida could be sold as his present deal expires in 2007. But the Italian giants maintain that the Brazil’s World Cup ‘keeper will still be guarding the Rossoneri net for the next 12 months. “Our position as a club with regard to Dida has not changed,” said director general Ariedo Braida. “If Dida decides that he doesn’t want to renew, then we will just have to accept his decision. But all that would mean is that Nelson will stay at Milan next season and will then be free to decide his future destination.”

Italy are world champions for the fourth time after beating ten-man France 5-3 on penalties after a 1-1 draw in Berlin's Olympiastadion on Sunday, 9 July 2006. Twelve years after losing to Brazil in the first shoot-out in a FIFA World Cup Final, Italy made up for that heartbreak as all five men in blue converted their kicks to claim world football's greatest prize for the first time since 1982. For France the pain of defeat was compounded by the sight of Zinedine Zidane, on his last appearance as a professional, leaving the field having been sent off in extra time for butting Marco Materazzi off the ball.

Hundreds of thousands of Germans waving flags of black, red and gold gathered at Berlin's Brandenburg Gate on Sunday to pay tribute to their World Cup team, who clinched third place with victory over Portugal. Fans held placards saying "You are the world champions of our hearts" and "We're proud of you" as the players waved to the crowd under blue skies and bright sunshine. Coach Jurgen Klinsmann's young team has triggered a wave of enthusiasm across the host nation with attacking football and an unexpectedly strong showing in the competition. "We've experienced a party four weeks long like there's never been in Germany," Klinsmann told the crowd at Berlin's Fan Mile, a pedestrian zone created for fans to party and watch matches on big screens throughout the FIFA World Cup. "You're unbelievable!" The German players sported T-shirts with the slogan "Danke Deutschland" in the national colours of black, red and gold and the words "Team Spirit" printed on the back along with the number "82 million" - the population of Germany. "Many, many thanks, you're the greatest!" captain Michael Ballack told the crowd to loud cheers. Organisers said at least 500,000 people had turned out to thank the German team. Coach Klinsmann, the target of heavy criticism before the FIFA World Cup, is now under strong pressure to remain in his job. Despite calls from the crowd to stay on, Klinsmann, whose contract ended on Saturday, said he still needed more time to consider his future. "I can't take it all in," he said. "Give me a few more days."

Everton utility man Phil Neville is determined to make a return to international football when new England boss Steve McClaren takes charge of the national team. Neville, 29, earned the last of his 52 caps a year ago but was part of the England squad prior to the 23-man squad being named for the World Cup. "There is a clean slate with the new regime and we have got to look forward," he said. "I am no different and I desperately want to continue playing for England." He continued: "Just being called back for the three weeks I had in the summer gave me a taste and kept me involved. There is a game on August 18 and a European qualifier on September 2 so everyone wants to be in Steve McClaren's first squad and I am no different."

New Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn aims to emulate the achievements of Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein and make the Wearsiders a force on and off the pitch. The pairs' relationship goes back to when they were both youngsters hoping to make the grade at Highbury, and Quinn will have no qualms about taking advice from his old friend. "We had a chat, he's invited me for lunch and wishes me well," he said. "He's done brilliant things since those days, and will be an invaluable source of inspiration in many ways, because he's been fantastic for Arsenal." He continued: "I want to be a proper chairman in all respects and I know I have to work hard at the executive side of things. I have to push the brand, attract greater and better sponsorship - and I'm always going to listen to people like David Dein."

Germany goalkeeper Jens Lehmann has thanked team-mate Oliver Kahn for his support during the World Cup finals on home soil.

Germany goalkeeper Jens Lehmann has thanked team-mate Oliver Kahn for his support during the World Cup finals on home soil. Portugal's Brazilian-born coach Luiz Felipe Scolari said on Sunday he wanted to stay in the job, Portuguese news agency Lusa reported. "I want to stay, yes," Scolari said, according to Lusa, after the return of the Portugal side from Germany on Sunday. "I have a marvellous squad, it is a situation to be studied. As of Wednesday or Thursday we will talk," Scolari said.

Alecko Eskandarian fired the only goal of the day as red-hot D.C. United won their fifth straight contest, 1-0 at Columbus. Meanwhile, Steve Ralston had a goal and an assist as New England notched the first Toyota Park away win by topping Chicago 2-1. Clint Mathis hopped off the bench to hit a stoppage time decider as Colorado squeaked by Kansas City 1-0. Los Angeles continued their impressive resurgence with a 2-0 triumph over visiting Real Salt Lake. First career goals for Dominic Oduro and David Wagenfuhr sparked FC Dallas to snap a losing skid with a 2-1 defeat of New York. Finally, Second half markers from Brian Mullan and Alejandro Moreno got Houston past Chivas USA 3-1.

Charlton appear to have won the race to sign Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.

Bobby Zamora is expected to spark a scramble for his signature by asking to leave West Ham following the arrival of Carlton Cole. Cole moved from Stamford Bridge to Upton Park earlier this week - and will battle with Zamora, Dean Ashton, Marlon Harewood and Teddy Sheringham for a place in the Hammers' attack. Ashton and Harewood are likely to be boss Alan Pardew's first-choice partnership next season - and Zamora is not relishing the prospect of warming the bench in the east End of London. The 25-year-old has many suitors and Portsmouth are likely to turn their attention to him having been warned off making a bid for Harewood. Aston Villa could soon be seeking a replacement for Hamburg-bound Milan Baros, while Mark Hughes has hit a dead end trying to lure Mido to Blackburn so may also enter the chase for Zamora. Wigan could make a move for him if they fail in their bid to re-sign Nathan Ellington from West Brom, as Paul Jewell wants a strike partner for new £5.5million signing Emile Heskey.

Middlesbrough boss Gareth Southgate wants to land pacey Lyon forward Sidney Govou - but could face competition from Bolton. He has already bolstered his defensive options by agreeing a deal with Chelsea centre-back Robert Huth - and has now targeted a £3.5million for Lyon and France star Govou. The 26-year-old has been involved in Les Bleus' World Cup squad in Germany - and has attracted Southgate's interest as he can play in an attacking role on the right of midfield or as a striker. Govou has enjoyed much success at Lyon, winning consecutive Ligue 1 titles, but is believed to be seeking a fresh challenge and has talked about the Premiership with the likes of Thierry Henry and Louis Saha. His agent Frederic Guerra said: "Boro have been in touch with Lyon and also myself to sign Sidney. Many other clubs are interested in signing him though."

Midfielder Yaya Toure has urged Arsenal to step up their bid to sign him as he does "not want to play for Olympiakos any more". The 23-year-old has watched older brother Kolo establish himself in the Gunners' first team - and is keen to follow in his footsteps. Powerful midfielder Toure has been scouted by Arsene Wenger for two years and has now urged the Arsenal chief to snap him up. "I don't want to play for Olympiakos any more," said Toure. "The people responsible here do not treat me like a professional footballer. I want to play in the same side as my brother." Wenger is reported to have had a bid turned down for Ivory Coast star back in January but is still keen to negotiate a reasonable price.

Monday, 10th July 2006, News 3

MKS Pogoń Szczecin trainee Kamil Grosicki has signed a 5-year professional contract with the club. The promising Poland Under-18 forward featured in two top-flight games last season.

Jurijs Popkovs has resigned has head coach of Latvian First Division side FK Jurmala following the team's disappointing showings in domestic league and cup competitions. Jurmala currently lie fifth in the eight-team top flight. The 45-year-old is expected to be replaced by former Skonto FC midfielder and Latvian international Vladimirs Babičevs, who will function as a player-coach.

Rangers have banned Dutch defender Fernando Ricksen from their tour of South Africa following an incident on the flight out. The club's official web site revealed Ricksen had been censured by new French manager Paul Le Guen but it gave no reasons. "The behaviour of Fernando Ricksen was wholly inappropriate and unacceptable for the way in which I have asked players to conduct themselves," Le Guen told the web site. "Therefore, Fernando will not carry out pre-season training with the squad in South Africa." The former Dutch international was being sent home by the Glasgow club, according to early Monday editions of Scottish newspapers.

Germany striker Miroslav Klose won the Golden Shoe award for leading scorer at the 2006 World Cup finals. Klose hit five goals in the tournament, two clear of eight players on three goals. The 28-year-old, who also netted five times in the 2002 finals, scored twice against both Costa Rica and Ecuador in group games and headed the equaliser in the quarter-final against Argentina, which the hosts won in a penalty shootout. His five goals are the lowest winning haul since the 1962 World Cup in Chile when six players scored four times.

A 77-year-old Italian pensioner fell off a ladder and died as he tried to attach Italy's flag to a pole ahead of Sunday's World Cup final against France. The man, Rodolfo Profili, was raising the flag on a patch of land he owned near the central Italian city of Viterbo when he apparently lost his balance and fell eight metres into a precipice, Italian news agency ANSA reported. ANSA quoted local police as saying the man died instantly, still clutching the tricolore.

France coach Raymond Domenech jumped to the defence of Zinedine Zidane after his shock red card in last night's World Cup final. Zidane was sent off in extra-time for a head-butt on Marco Materazzi before France went on to lose on penalties. "Materrazzi is the man of the match, not Andrea Pirlo," said Domenech. "When one has to put up with what Zidane had to and the referee doesn't do anything, one understands. You can't excuse it, but you can understand it."

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder is ready to hand Nicky Butt the chance to resurrect his Magpies career. The midfielder had a tough first season at Newcastle and was farmed out on loan to Birmingham last term. "Nicky is working as hard as anybody," Roeder told the club's website. "I have had a chat with him and he looks as good as anyone in training. I have to say that in training he's been as good as anyone, whether on the running side or the football work in the evenings. He's certainly training very well. Right now, I have to say everybody is part of my plans. So far he's certainly given it 100 percent in both the physical and football work. His training is right up there with the best of them in terms of energy and quality."

Real Madrid star Ronaldo is expected to visit the front office of MLS giants Red Bull New York in the coming days. Ronaldo is holidaying in the United States with fiance Raica, which has sparked speculation that he is set to meet with Red Bull officials to discuss a future move to MLS. Reports last week suggested Red Bull were prepared to offer a staggering £100 million, three-year contract, to the Brazilian to close his career in the 'States.

Iranian international Andranik Teymourian is confident that he has done enough to earn a move to Bolton on a permanent basis. The 23-year-old midfielder has been on trial at The Reebok Stadium after catching the eye of Wanderers chief Sam Allardyce whilst on World Cup duty. Teymourian played every minute of his side's three games in Germany and did enough to attract several suitors from Europe. It has been reported that the player will undergo a medical before sealing his switch to England, with Teymourian confident that a deal is close to being concluded. ''I've had some offers from teams in Asia and in Europe, but I have decided to join Bolton,'' Teymourian told the Sunday Mirror. ''Sam Allardyce saw my games at the World Cup and was pleased with my performances.''

Three of the four CFA Cup semifinal spots were taken up by China Super League clubs on Saturday after Shenzen Jianlibao were ousted by a first division outfit. Defending champions Dalian Shide booked their place in the last four against the conquerors of Shenzen, Zhejian Green City, who play in the first division, with a 3-1 aggregate win over Tianjin Teda. Dalian had recorded a 2-1 win in the first leg and a first half goal in the second leg from Zhao Zuri secured their spot against Green City who came from behind for a remarkable win against Shenzen after losing the first leg 2-1. In the return game Cao Xuan and Ma Cheng scored 10 minutes apart from each other to propel the unfancied side deeper into the tournament. The other semifinal will feature a Shandong Luneng vs Xian Inter Chanba battle. Shandong’s Zheng Zhi was the sole scorer of the match on 28 minutes against Shanghai Shenhua at home in the second leg as Shandong posted a comfortable 3-1 aggregate victory in the quarterfinal. Inter Chanba were spared all the drama as Wang Peng scored the only goal of the match for a 4-0 overall win against Xia Meng.

A last-gasp goal from Mamedali Karadanov saw Turkmenistan League defending champions MTTU eke out a 2-2 draw with current leaders Ashgabat in the 13th round recently. The solitary point also helped maintain the tie atop the eight-team standings which has both MTTU and Ashgabat locked on 23 points, with only goal difference separating the two. In other matches, Kopetdag’s attempts to keep in touch with the leaders suffered a setback after a 3-2 defeat to Turan, while Nebitchi edged Nisa 1-0 to stay in the frame and Merv outclassed Shagadam 2-0 in the battle of bottom clubs.

An easy 2-1 win over holders Selangor helped Terengganu maintain their grip over Group A after Match Day 2 of the Malaysia Cup on Saturday. The goals were scored by Zairo Anuar Zalani and Mohd Norfarhan Mohamad for Terengganu as captain Mohd Shukor Adan pulled one back for Selangor. In Group B, Melaka TM FC beat Premier League champions Kedah 1-0, thanks to a Rudie Ramli goal. Penang E&O defeated Johor FC 1-0 in the other match in the group. In Group C, Mohd Safee Mohd Sali’s last minute goal gave Sarawak a solitary goal win over Pahang. Perlis edged Selangor PKNS 2-1 in the other group match. Sarawak are leading the group. In Group D, a late five-minute blitz helped Perak come from behind for a 2-1 win over Melaka. Traore Abdoulaye scored first in the 85th minute to provide the equaliser to K Nanthakumar’s opener before R. Surendren provided the winner deep into injury time. Selangor MPPJ beat DPMM 3-1 in the other group game.

Thats all news for today ;)