The Forum Rumour Thread

Bobo

The Forum Rumour Thread  

1. 1.

• Yes, very handy, I love keeping up to date in football news ect...
    • It's not bad, not a complete waste of time...
    • No, not useful, who is Bobo? He must be mad! :)
    • Simply a complete waste of time...

coach

Dunga has been confirmed as the new coach of the Brazilian national team.

The former Brazil captain was announced as the Selecao's new coach by Ricardo Teixeira, president of the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF), on the CBF's official website on Monday.

The 42-year-old succeeds Carlos Alberto Parreira, who quit as coach last Wednesday after Brazil were knocked out of the quarter-finals of this summer's World Cup by France.

Bolton's £2.5m bid for Argentina skipper Juan Pablo Sorin has been accepted by Villareal' date=' but Portsmouth, Stuttgart and Inter Milan have not given up hope of signing the full-back. (The Sun, Daily Mail)[/quote']

Bobo, if this is true that's an awesome signing gor Big Sam.

Pleases me more seeing I signed him for my team last season :)

Cheers Buddy :D

P S ; Great thread mate

25th July (is it... not sure of todays date!) rumours

Arsenal have rejected a £16.5m Chelsea bid for Ashley Cole - and want £25m for the England defender. (Times, Mirror)

The Gunners want Chelsea defender William Gallas in part-exchange for Cole but Blues boss Jose Mourinho will not let Gallas leave. (The Sun)

Portsmouth want Chelsea midfielder Geremi and are also willing to pay the £4m that Manchester City want for defender Sylvain Distin. (The Times)

Paul Ince is waiting to find out if he has a future at Wolves. (The Sun)

Portsmouth and Bolton are both interested in Villarreal defender Juan Pablo Sorin who would cost £2m. (Times)

Pompey boss Harry Redknapp is also keen on Liverpool goalkeeper Scott Carson. (Daily Mirror)

Want-away Fulham midfielder Steed Malbranque is a £4m target for Reading. (The Sun, Daily Mirror)

Middlesbrough are set to launch a £2.5m bid for Blackburn's Brett Emerton but Fulham and West Ham are also keen on the Australian winger. (Daily Express)

Sunderland defender Julio Arca is on the verge of a £2m move to Middlesbrough. (Daily Mail)

Boro have offered midfielder Adam Johnson on loan as part of the deal for Arca. (The Times)

Inter Milan are close to completing the signing of Juventus midfielder Patrick Vieira for £8.9m. (The Guardian)

OTHER GOSSIP

American tycoon Randy Lerner, who owns the Cleveland Browns American Football team, is preparing a takeover bid for Aston Villa. (Various)

Former Liverpool and England winger - and ex-Celtic coach - John Barnes is set to be appointed coach of Jamaica. (Daily Mail)

Manchester United's former Everton star Wayne Rooney has criticised Toffees manager David Moyes in his autobiography. (Daily Mail)

Everton defender Alan Stubbs has backed team-mates James Beattie and Andy Johnson to break into the England squad. (Daily Express)

As promised some news

Fernando Torres will not be signing for Manchester United Football Club this summer.

The Reds had identified the Spanish international for a move to Old Trafford as a possible replacement for Ruud van Nistelrooy, who is expected to sign for Bayern Munich Real Madrid before the weekend.

However, the 22-year-old has dashed all hope Sir Alex Ferguson had of adding the £25million-rated striker to his Old Trafford squad by committing his future to Atletico Madrid.

“I want to stay. A lot has been said during my holidays about my possible exit, but the reality is that I am here for one more year," Torres said.

Niall Quinn has been appointed the new manager of Sunderland. He takes over with the season just over two weeks away, but revealed he could step aside if a top-class manager becomes available.

Quinn was adamant "If it takes three months to get to a point where we can bring in a new manager then great, I will gladly walk away.”

He made it clear his intention is to fill in only until he can attract the right manager, but he has been frustrated in his attempts to fill the role, with moves for former Celtic boss Martin O'Neill and Bolton manager Sam Allardyce both coming to nothing.

"What happened is that we decided we would try to attempt the first hurdle because what we have to do is try to stop the slide, to turn the corner.

"We have to gather momentum, and then to lift it so that we get to a point where I can pick the phone up, go to a world-class manager and hopefully with the position we are then in, say to him 'come now'."

Premiership round-up

Joey Barton and Micah Richards have both signed new contracts with Manchester City, Liverpool's initial bid for Jermaine Pennant is rejected, as is Chelsea's bid for Ashley Cole.

Manchester City midfielder Joey Barton has signed a new four year contract that will keep him at the Club until at least 2010.

The 23 year-old said: "I am ambitious and so is the club. I said if the club would sign quality players I would commit my future to City. The club has done that and I am a man of my word."

City boss Stuart Pearce said: "Joey is improving as a player and I am sure with continued hard work on his and our parts, he can achieve his ambitions at City."

Defender, Micah Richards has also signed a four year contract, despite having two years left on his existing contract.

The 18 year-old made his first team debut last season against Arsenal in October.

PENNANT BID REJECTED

Birmingham City confirmed that they have rejected a £3.5m bid for winger Jermaine Pennant from Liverpool.

Manager Steve Bruce said: "We had an offer from Liverpool which we rejected and until they meet our valuation of Jermaine Pennant they will get the same answer."

Pennant joined Birmingham from Arsenal, when Arsene Wenger got fed up with the player's off-pitch behaviour. In 2003, having been caught drink-driving for the second time, Pennant spent a month in prison and had to play subsequent matches with an electronic tag around his ankle.

IN BRIEF

Having rejected a £16m bid for England defender Ashley Cole, Arsenal have told Chelsea that if they wish to sign him they will need to stump up £25m.

Quinton Fortune looks set to finalise his move to Bolton on Wednesday. The 29-year-old has been training with Bolton since being released by Manchester United at the end of last season. The deal is expected to be confirmed on Wednesday after Bolton's friendly with Rangers on Tuesday.

Manchester United not hot anymore?

Ruud Van Nistelrooy will most certainly join Bayern Munich or Real Madrid. It looks as if Christiano Ronaldo is on his way to Spanish football, and Athletico Madrid forward Fernando Torres

says he will not leave.

Hot rumours about Michael Carrick and a possible move to Manchester United are totally frozen and Manchester United's lack of trophies in the last couple of seasons can probably have damished the club that used to get their hands on the real superstars.

Another important fact is that Sir Alex Ferguson's difficulties with huges superstars like Robbie Keane, Fabian Barthez, Jaap Stam and recently Ruud Van Nistelrooy can also have an affect on players and their decission to go elsewere.

But as we all know there is enough talent left at Manchester United to make them a force next season. You shall never turn your back to players such as Paul Scholes, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Ryan Giggs, they will all give Utd more power than they had last season.

More in short...

Mick Macarthy is the new Wolves job.

West Ham in bid for ricardo...

Reports in the Portuguese press insist that West Ham are readying a €5 million (£3 million) bid for Portugal international goalkeeper Ricardo.

The Sporting Lisbon 'keeper played in Euro 2004 and the 2006 World Cup (where he was voted as one of the best goalkeepers in the tournament).

With the Hammers having let Shaka Hislop join FC Dallas in the MLS they are desperately looking for goalkeeping reinforcements and are hoping that Ricardo can fit the bill.

Pompey not signing sorin but deal of petrov is close...

Harry Redknapp rules out signing Juan Pablo Sorin for Portsmouth. The Pompey manager, speaking on Sky Sports News, has denied making a bid for the South American star.

Although admitting his liking for Sorin, the former West Ham chief does not expect to enter the bidding war for the player.

"I like him, I had him here three-and-a-half years ago and I tried to sign him but for whatever reason we couldn't get him over here, we couldn't do the deal," Redknapp said.

"He's a good player, he's the captain of Argentina and a quality player but I haven't made an approach for him, no. I doubt it (make a bid), I'm not sure. I don't want to say no and then I go do it. He's a good player, an interesting player."

Petrov...

Stilian Petrov is set to become a Portsmouth player by the weekend, according to Fratton Park chairman Milan Mandaric. The Celtic midfielder signed a four-year contract with the Parkhead club in January but then controversially expressed a desire to leave the Hoops, a wish he has reiterated in recent weeks.

Pompey have made two bids for the 27-year-old Bulgarian international but on both occasions failed to meet Celtic's valuation of the player which Mandaric confirmed to be £5 million. But the Portsmouth chairman told the Scottish Daily Mail that an agreement between the two clubs was imminent.

He said: "We are still in close contact with Celtic and are talking to them about Petrov. I am very hopeful that we can conclude those talks over a few days and he'll come to us. Perhaps even by the weekend. He's the guy that our manager Harry Redknapp really wants and I think we are getting closer now on the fee. He is a good player and I totally understand Celtic's position on this. I respect their demands and their desires and I would be doing the same if I was them. But I am an optimist on these matters and we feel we will land Petrov."

Tevez upsets his own fans...

Fans of Brazilian champions Corinthians have told forward Carlos Tevez to apologise for gesturing to the crowd to be quiet during a game at the weekend. A leader of the notorious supporters' group Gavioes da Fiel (Hawks of the Faithful) warned that the Argentine international could face an orchestrated campaign against him if he does not say sorry.

'If he thinks he's above us, let's see how Tevez faces an organised campaign on our part,' Gavioes vice-president Wildner Rocha told the Folha de Sao Paulo newspaper. 'Nobody can stand constant pressure,' said Rocha, nicknamed the Little Flea. 'They (the players) are not prepared for this and we are.'

Tevez scored the equaliser as Corinthians, bottom of the table after a disastrous slump in form, drew 2-2 at home to Fortaleza. He celebrated by running to the Corinthians fans and putting his finger over his lips telling them to be quiet. They had jeered the team after Fortaleza took a 2-1 lead.

'To begin with, we want him to talk to the fans and concentrate on the team,' said Wildner, adding that more dramatic measures would only be taken later. Tevez joined Corinthians for a South American record $18 million in Dec. 2004, shortly after the club had signed a partnership deal with London-based Media Sports Investments (MSI).

SWP urged to stay at Chelsea by his dad

Shaun Wright-Phillips has been urged to stay and fight for his place at Chelsea by his adoptive father Ian Wright. The 24-year-old was a peripheral figure in his first season at Stamford Bridge following a £21m (€30.78m) move from Manchester City and his lack of opportunities was seen as the key reason for his omission from England’s World Cup squad.

Speculation has linked Wright-Phillips with a move away, possibly on loan, but Wright senior thinks the best thing he can do is prove his worth to Blues boss Jose Mourinho. “(Shaun) has to stick there, he is at the champions, you don’t go to the champions and leave,” said Wright.

“I read in the papers people calling him a flop, he didn’t get the chance to be a flop, that hurts me. He didn’t get the chance to play and I didn’t think Mourinho gave him a lot of chances to play. I thought he was a scapegoat a lot of the time. I told him: ‘whatever happens this season you have to keep playing with confidence, take people on, go there, do what they bought you for and your time will come’. Last season will be a major learning curve in his career, he’s only 24. If he becomes a regular at Chelsea, then England will have a major player on our hands.”

Damien reveals spurs snub..

Newcastle new-boy Damien Duff has revealed he snubbed a move to Tottenham Hotspur out of respect to his former club Chelsea.

The Irish winger moved to St James' Park for a cut price £5 million despite both Liverpool and Spurs being interested in his services.

Duff insisted that his heart told him to go to the North East, but the 27-year-old has also revealed that after three successful years at Stamford Bridge he could not contemplate moving across London to White Hart Lane.

"There was one London club in for me and that was Spurs," said Duff.

"But when I go to a club I put my heart and soul into it and for the past three years I've been a Chelsea fan.

"So I couldn't go to Spurs it's as simple as that.

"I spoke to the people there and told them that and hopefully they understood."

Duff also reiterated that he was not content just to pick up his pay-cheque at Stamford Bridge, and that a desire to be a first team fixture was behind his exit from the Premiership champions.

"There are superstars, megastars down there at Chelsea, they've got the best squad in the world," Duff added.

"But over the next four or five years you will get players who are just happy to pick up their money.

"But that's not me. It's a short career and all I want to do is play.

"I knew it was time to move on. I only had a year left on my contract and they couldn't really say no when I asked to leave."

Appiah linked with move to Roma

Ghanaian international Stephen Appiah has been linked with a move to Roma, according to the player’s agent.

The Fenerbahçe midfielder is still tied to a three-year contract with his club and was only thought to favour a move to Premiership club Arsenal. He commented on any move some weeks ago saying, “I don’t want to go to Italy again. I prefer Arsenal – they are my number one choice.”

However the player’s agent, Frank Trimboli spoke of Roma’s desire to sign the player stating, “Roma are a big club, one of the most important in Europe and Stephen could do well there.

“After the World Cup there has been a lot of interest. Roma have made enquiries and I have spoken to them.”

The black stars captain has some understanding of Italian football as his career has already seen play for Udinese, Parma, Brescia and Juventus.

Appiah played an important role for Ghana in this summers World Cup as the African nation qualified for the last 16 of the tournament.

Arsenal chase Liverpool reject...

Arsenal are chasing Lens midfielder Alou Diarra.

The France international is also a £4 million target for Roma and the Gunners are battling to convince the midfielder to return to England.

Diarra joined Liverpool from Bayern Munich as a youngster, but failed to settle on Merseyside before rebuilding his career in France at Lens.

Diarra’s agent Janos Toth has confirmed the Gunners interest in the 25-year-old, who has also been linked with Manchester United and Galatasaray.

“Arsene likes Alou a lot, discussions have taken place but no offer has yet been made,” said Toth.

Liverpool + Tottenham signings provide interest

Tottenham Hotspur newcomer Dimitar Berbatov has spread some optimism among Spurs fans following his double against Birmingham over the weekend.

The striker has set himself a target of 15-20 goals for his first campaign in the English Premiership, which assuming he keeps clear of injury should be within his capabilities.

The 25-year-old Bulgaria international, who boasts 31 goals in 50 international appearances, left Bayer Leverkusen in May to head for North London in a €16 million transaction, and is around a 20-1 shot at most bookies for the ‘Golden Boot'.

Arsenal and Liverpool were among other sides that reportedly showed interest in the player with the latter contenting themselves with the capture of Craig Bellamy.

The Gunners' cooled their approaches after Thierry Henry confirmed his loyalty, but Arsene Wenger has usually proved to be an astute judge of a player and the fact he was heavily linked with Berbatov prior to his Captain staying should mean that Martin Jol was wise to secure his services at the earliest opportunity.

It will probably be too much to ask Berbatov to compete with Henry, Shevchenko and others for Premiership top scorer this season, but it will be interesting to see how he fares by comparison to Bellamy who Rafa Benitez has preferred to join his squad.

A lot will be expected of Bellamy as Liverpool look to challenge Chelsea, but a glance at the betting for the ‘Golden Boot' may provide a hint to how Benitez's team may fare this season.

As good a player as Bellamy may be the top three are Henry, Shevchenko and Wayne Rooney, who are all World stars and of course provide the focal point of the three teams expected to be Liverpool's immediate rivals.

Tottenham will be keen to break into that top four, and although much of the end-of-season focus surrounded their defeat at West Ham, it was really points lost in draws like the ones at Sunderland and at home to Aston Villa that cost them Champions League football: games that a striker like Berbatov could have won in a similar manner that Henry does for Arsenal.

It appears Berbatov hasn't taken long to be indoctrinated into the club judging by his comments on Spurs' near neighbours.

''I'll be happy to score against Arsenal.''

''It's not difficult to understand that they are our bitter rivals, everybody in the club is talking about it.''

Berbatov intelligently understands that he will have to acclimatize to the style of play in England.

''Football is different; I'll have to adjust to the new style of play. It was difficult during the first two pre-season matches but I received a welcome reception in the club and I don't think I'll have a problem to adapt.''

He concluded, ''Little by little I'm coming into my best form. Everything is new for me; even the training sessions are different. But training is varied and it makes it pleasant.''

Berbatov managed 69 goals in 154 matches during five seasons with Leverkusen, and Jol will undoubtedly be hoping that some of that potency will turn one point into three more often than not during the coming months.

The same could be said about Bellamy at Liverpool, who went through a horrible spell during the second half of last season when a rarity of goals eventually cost them an automatic Champions League place.

Bellamy, who scored for his new club at Wrexham last week, has the pace and trickery to ensure that doesn't hinder Liverpool this time around, but his consistency and temperament will come under the microscope during the campaign.

Bellamy is a 14-1 shot to be top scorer along with Everton new-boy Andrew Johnson, who potentially could fire The Toffees into a position to challenge for Europe.

David Moyes' team were glued to the starting blocks last time round, but a reasonable beginning and a few Johnson goals could see confidence flow through the blue half of Merseyside this time.

Newcastle is one of the bookies favourites to provide a challenge behind Tottenham, and although they have secured the services of Damien Duff for a cut-price £5 million they are still in search of strikers considering Michael Owen's enforced absence.

The fact that Chelsea was happy to sell Duff to Newcastle rather than Tottenham, who reportedly bid twice as much as the Geordies, or Liverpool probably shows what Jose Mourinho thinks about the threat posed by those three clubs.

A factor that would have appealed to Duff is the move offers him a chance to play every week, but Tottenham and Liverpool may not feel too aggrieved when considering his injury record.

Although an excellent player, Duff sometimes leaves a match with what looks to be a slight knock only to proceed to be unavailable for the next few months which is a situation Newcastle will hope doesn't occur; but probably will.

Of course there is still plenty of time for other players to join Premiership clubs, but assuming players remain free from injury we know Henry will help himself to his usual quota and the record Shevchenko brings with him suggests a fruitful campaign for the Ukrainian.

However the progress of Bellamy and Berbatov should provide some healthy interest as they look to impose themselves on Premiership defences.

26th July

Arsenal have upped their asking price for Chelsea target Ashley Cole to £30m. (Daily Telegraph, Daily Mirror)

Or, £20m will be enough to take the England left-back to Stamford Bridge next week. (Daily Mail)

Arsenal will use £10m of the eventual fee for Cole to sign Yossi Benayoun from West Ham, but he is also a target for Liverpool. (Independent).

West Ham are hoping to sign Chelsea winger Shaun Wright-Phillips on a season-long loan. (The Sun)

Chelsea have offered a new five-year contract to William Gallas, who has one year left on his current deal. (Times)

Frank Lampard is staying at Stamford Bridge after Barcelona dropped their interest in signing him because of his poor World Cup (Times)

But Didier Drogba says he could still leave Chelsea. (The Sun)

Sol Campbell could sign for Italian side Fiorentina following their reinstatement to Serie A for next season. (Mirror)

Tottenham are resigned to seeing midfielder Michael Carrick join Manchester United after he rejected their latest contract offer. (Guardian)

Spurs will turn to veteran Juventus midfielder Pavel Nedved as a replacement for Carrick. (Guardian)

United are to offer £12m for Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe after being snubbed by Fernando Torres. (Star)

Manchester City keeper David James and Rennes shotstopper Andreas Isaksson are both targets for Portsmouth. (Various)

Bolton are set to make a surprise bid for veteran Manchester City striker Andy Cole. (Independent)

Wigan Athletic are confident of beating Charlton to the £1.75m signing of Crystal Palace defender Enmerson Boyce. (Various)

Another Palace player, winger Jobi McAnuff has handed in a transfer request and is in wanted by Watford and Sheffield United. (Times, Guardian)

Wolves want to sign Everton midfielder Lee Carsley. (The Sun)

Blackburn are close to completing a £3m deal for Porto's South African striker Benni McCarthy. (Daily Star)

Tottenham boss Martin Jol is considering a £6m bid for Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing. (The Sun)

OTHER GOSSIP

Former England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson is close to agreeing a deal to club management and could combine his new job with coaching Jamaica. (Independent)

Ex-Chelsea forward Eidur Gudjohnsen says Blues players are scared of Stamford Bridge boss Jose Mourinho. (Various)

Manchester United forward Alan Smith has returned to training five months after suffering a horrific broken leg. (The Sun)

FUNNIES

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho says one of the reasons he has had his hair cut so short is that he wants the young players at Stamford Bridge to copy him and have a "proper haircut". (The Sun)

27th

Tottenham will offer Michael Carrick to Manchester United in a swap deal for Ruud van Nistelrooy - but want an extra £10m as well as the Dutchman. (Sun)

United are set to make a £16m bid for Corinthians' Argentina World Cup star Javier Mascherano. (Daily Mirror)

Chelsea left-back Wayne Bridge wants to quit the club because of the possible arrival of Ashley Cole. (Various)

Chelsea target Ashley Cole says Arsenal have reneged on a verbal agreement saying he could leave the club for £15m. (Daily Star)

Marseille hope to sign former Arsenal defender Sol Campbell - if they can afford his wages. (Various)

Watford have made a £2m bid for Fulham striker Collins John. (The Times)

Liverpool will offer Jerzy Dudek and Jan Kromkamp as makeweights in their attempt to sign Feyenoord striker Dirk Kuyt for £10m. (Various)

Bolton are leading a posse of English clubs who hope to sign 6ft 8in Partizan Belgrade striker Nikola Zigic. (Daily Mail, Daily Mirror)

West Ham have targeted Newcastle goalkeeper Steven Harper to provide cover for Roy Carroll. (Daily Star)

Birmingham City will offer Portsmouth £1.5m for Andy O'Brien. (Daily Mail)

Derby boss Billy Davies wants to sign Arsenal trio Ryan Smith, Arturo Lupoli and Mart Poom. (Daily Mirror)

Birmingham want to sign young Gunners duo Sebastian Larsson and Fabrice Muamba on loan for the season. (Daily Mail)

Newcastle's hopes of signing Aston Villa striker Juan Pablo Angel have been hit by the battle for power at Villa Park. (The Sun)

Charlton manager Iain Dowie is trying to land Newcastle midfielder Amdy Faye for £1.5m (Various)

Watford are keen on Tottenham midfielder Wayne Routledge - but Charlton are also interested. (The Sun)

OTHER GOSSIP

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho wants to win three or four Premiership titles in the next five years to cement the club's status as the dominant force in English football. (The Guardian)

Martin O'Neill will be installed as new Aston Villa manager if the consortium led by fan Michael Neville is successful in their bid to buy the club. (Various)

Former England and Villa boss Graham Taylor would become chairman if Neville takes over. (The Times)

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has questioned whether new Chelsea signing Andriy Shevchenko is worth £30 by comparing him to Eric Cantona - who joined United for £1m in 1992. (The Times)

FUNNIES

Injured Reading midfielder James Harper is desperate to recover from a groin strain so he can stop rowing with his girlfriend. (Daily Star)

A life-size mannequin of former manager George Graham is among the items up for grabs at an auction at Arsenal's former home Highbury on Saturday. (Daily Express)

Real 'agree' RVN fee

Ruud van Nistelrooy was back at Manchester United's Carrington training ground this morning as his dream move to Real Madrid continued to stall.

The Spanish giants made a renewed bid for the 30-year-old striker yesterday, sparking frenzied rumours that a deal had been agreed with United.

Indeed, it was reported on Spanish radio this morning that United had agreed a few with Real for Van Nistelrooy. However, Red Devils boss, Sir Alex Ferguson, speaking after last night's friendly win at Celtic, immediately rejected the notion United would be interested in doing a deal at the price Madrid are believed to have offered, approximately £10m. "They've slightly increased it but nothing really you would say - for goodness sake, an increase of about two bob or something," he said.

"We know our value. If we are going to sell Ruud van Nistelrooy we should get the proper value. He is one of the best strikers in the country, one of the best strikers in Europe so when you think about [Andriy] Shevchenko going for £35m - he's a similar age group.

"But we know our value of the player so at the moment he is a Manchester United player." United's blunt refusal to do business with either Madrid or Bayern Munich for anything less than the £15m asking price appears to leave Van Nistelrooy in limbo.

Ferguson has been especially complimentary about the striker's attitude in training this week, but since the massive bust-up between the pair at the end of last season, it is hard to see how Van Nistelrooy has any future at Old Trafford. Having already submitted a written transfer request to the United board, Van Nistelrooy is facing the uncomfortable prospect of being forced to turn out in a pre-season game over the next four days.

United head to Preston on Saturday and then Macclesfield next Monday, when Ferguson has revealed his intention to field some of his World Cup stars.

While Van Nistelrooy believes his current situation serves no purpose as regards his long-term future, he has no agreement with Ferguson over whether he will play for the club again or not. And, if selected to play at either Deepdale or Moss Rose, it would appear he has little option other than to comply.

Martin O'Neill will be installed as new Aston Villa manager if the consortium led by fan Michael Neville is successful in their bid to buy the club. (Various)

YES YES YES we like that

Former England and Villa boss Graham Taylor would become chairman if Neville takes over. (The Times)

NO NO NO do i not like that, we dont want the turnip back

28th july, friday

Tottenham's Michael Carrick will finally sign for Manchester United next week in a deal worth about £15m. (Various)

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder wants to sign unsettled Chelsea defender Wayne Bridge. (Daily Mirror)

Roeder is also preparing a player-plus-cash swoop for West Ham's Marlon Harewood. (The Sun)

Sunderland will sign former striker Kevin Phillips for £750,000. (Daily Mirror)

Portsmouth are closing in on a £3.75m deal to sign Preston striker David Nugent. (Various)

Millwall are close to signing Hearts winger Chris Hackett. (Daily Star)

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy is opening talks with Everton to sign midfielder Lee Carsley. (Daily Mail, Daily Mirror)

Chris Sutton could return to play for Birmingham after being released by the Midlands club at the end of last season. (Various)

Coventry want to sign out-of-favour Sheffield United forward Geoff Horsfield on a season-long loan. (Daily Mail)

Sunderland are close to signing Robbie Elliott, who has been released by North-East neighbours Newcastle. (Daily Express)

Middlesbrough manager Gareth Southgate is insisting that teenage winger Adam Johnson will be staying at the Riverside. (Daily Express, The Sun)

Wigan have swooped for Crystal Palace right-back Emerson Boyce for £1.6m. (Daily Star, Daily Mail)

Birmingham manager Steve Bruce is persisting with attempts to sign Coventry's Gary McShaffrey. (Daily Mirror)

Bruce has also made a shock £1m move for Fulham striker Brian McBride. (Daily Mirror)

Danny Higginbotham has been put on Southampton's transfer list after turning down a new two-year deal. (Daily Mirror)

Blackburn will announce the signing of FC Porto striker Benni McCarthy for £2.5m. (The Times)

Bulgarian left-back Ivaylo Petkov expects to join Celtic after the 30-year-old left Turkish club Ankaragucu. (Daily Record)

Austria Vienna says striker Filip Sebo is likely to sign for Rangers next week. (The Sun)

Rangers captain Barry Ferguson is likely to miss the first five weeks of the season through injury. (Daily Express)

Portsmouth are poised to end interest in Celtic's Stilian Petrov and instead bid for Real Madrid midfielder Thomas Gravesen. (Daily Express)

Hearts are chasing Barcelona B midfielder Arnau Caldentey. (Daily Star)

Hibernian manager Tony Mowbray says his club could not afford out-of-favour Rangers defender Marvin Andrews' wages. (The Scotsman)

OTHER GOSSIP

New Liverpool signings Jermaine Pennant and Craig Bellamy have been told by manager Rafa Benitez that they are in Last Chance Saloon. (Various)

New England manager Steve McClaren has employed PR guru Max Clifford as his personal advisor. (Daily Mail)

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has told Shaun Wright-Phillips he must prove himself before the transfer window shuts or risk being sent out on loan. (The Sun)

Wigan manager Paul Jewell is confident Emile Heskey can resurrect his career at the JJB Stadium. (Daily Mirror)

John Terry is desperate to succeed David Beckham as the England captain. (Daily Telegraph)

Tottenham are looking into the possibility of moving into London's Olympic stadium after the 2012 Games. (The Guardian)

FUNNIES

MK Dons manager Martin Allen hired a rickety old school bus for the squad's pre-season trip to Devon to test out his players' characters. (The Sun)

A radio journalist has been revealed as the saviour who came to the aid of a cashless Victoria Beckham when she wanted to buy some chips at half-time during an England World Cup match last month. (The Guardian)

United sign £18m Carrick as Ruud joins Real Madrid

Their first strike in the summer transfer market has been a long time coming but Manchester United have finally sealed the deal for Michael Carrick - albeit it at a high price. The Tottenham midfielder could cost them as much as £18m, while Real Madrid claimed last night that they had completed the deal for United's striker Ruud van Nistelrooy.

The Carrick transfer was concluded in the small hours of yesterday morning and the 25-year-old was understood to be in Manchester yesterday with the likelihood he will be announced as a United player today. Around 6.30pm, Madrid announced on their website that Van Nistelrooy had signed a three-year deal at the club, following the acrimonious year-long breakdown in his relationship with United's manager, Sir Alex Ferguson.

The announcement from Madrid came just one day after Ferguson had mocked the Spanish club's "two bob" improvement in their offer, although it is understood that Van Nistelrooy is set to leave for around £11m. It is some irony that the fee for a player who scored 150 goals for United in five years will not be enough to cover the cost of Carrick.

United last night stated that Van Nistelrooy had been given permission to travel to Madrid for a medical, but that a a deal had not been finalised.

While Ferguson had at last signed a player he has tracked for a year there is no denying that Tottenham have secured a handsome profit on a player who cost £2.75m from West Ham two years ago. Tottenham have proved dogged negotiators, refusing to countenance United's early offers of around £7m. United have tried to stress throughout that they had other options - including the Lyon midfielder Mahamadou Diarra - but Tottenham have not buckled in their determination to get as near to their £20m valuation as possible.

While it is not clear what conditions Carrick will have to fulfil at United for Tottenham to receive payments up to £18m - they are likely to be dependent on United's success in the Premiership and Champions' League - he has certainly not come cheap. Sources at Tottenham have indicated that, had United held out, they may have been prepared to accept as little as £12m towards the end of August.

Nevertheless, the deal should make Carrick United's fifth most expensive signing behind Rio Ferdinand, Juan Sebastian Veron, Wayne Rooney and Van Nistelrooy. The player had two years left on his Tottenham deal and had rejected a new contract offer.

As revealed by The Independent last month, talks over Carrick started before England's World Cup match against Paraguay and have made for an unsettling summer for him. He was picked by Sven Goran Eriksson in the first XI to play Ecuador - his debut competitive international - and then dropped for the quarter-final defeat by Portugal, knowing all the time his future was yet to be decided.

There have been further reports linking United with the Argentina defensive midfielder Javier Mascherano, of Corinthians, and Ferguson's interest in him would suggest the United manager believes Carrick alone will not suffice. For all his many qualities as a passer of the ball, the midfielder is not a ball-winner - the like of which United have missed since Roy Keane's departure in November.

Mascherano and Diarra are the more obvious candidates for that role, with interest in Deportivo La Coruña's Aldo Duscher used only as stalking horse for Carrick. Any move for the World Cup-winning Italy midfielder Gennaro Gattuso would seem unlikely now Milan have been given the right to play in the Champions' League this season.

While they have lost Carrick and missed out on Damien Duff, Tottenham can still consider the summer's trading a success. They secured Ivory Coast's talented midfielder Didier Zokora long before the Carrick deal was concluded, have beaten Arsenal to the very highly rated 22-year-old Benoît Assou-Ekotto from Lens and spent £10.9m on Dimitar Berbatov.

Tottenham's failure to sign Duff came down primarily to the player's wage demands and they were also equally unable, or unwilling, to offer Carrick the £50,000-a-week salary he was hoping to negotiate.

Van Nistelrooy's departure leaves United with just a month to refine their transfer targets. The refusal of Fernando Torres to countenance leaving Atletico Madrid means United may have to look for an alternative, with Jermain Defoe among those considered.

Hot Deals: Top 10 moves so far

1 Andrei Shevchenko (Milan to Chelsea, £30m)

2 Michael Carrick (Tottenham to Man Utd, £18m)

3 Jon Obi Mikel (Lyn Oslo to Chelsea, £16m)

4 Ruud van Nistelrooy (Man Utd to Real Madrid, £11m)

5 Dimitar Berbatov (B Leverkusen to Tottenham, £10.9m)

6 Andrew Johnson (Crystal Palace to Everton, £8.6m)

7 Tomas Rosicky (B Dortmund to Arsenal, £8m)

8 Jermaine Pennant (Birmingham to Liverpool, £6.7m)

9 Craig Bellamy (Blackburn to Liverpool, £6m)

10 Emile Heskey (Birmingham to Wigan, £5.5m)

Tottenham are chasing Atletico Madrid midfielder Martin Petrov. (Daily Mirror)

A boardroom split at Portsmouth could jeopardise manager Harry Redknapp's hopes of signing Nicolas Anelka. (Daily Mirror)

Veteran midfielder Paul Ince could join Swindon. (Daily Mirror, The Sun)

West Ham manager Alan Pardew says striker Marlon Harewood is not for sale at any price. (The Sun)

Chelsea are hoping to swoop to beat Liverpool to the signature of Dutch striker Dirk Kuyt. (The Sun)

Aston Villa captain Gareth Barry has told the club he wants to leave. (Daily Express)

Birmingham manager Steve Bruce wants to sign Bolton's Radhi Jaidi. (Daily Mail)

Sir Alex Ferguson says Manchester United are not interested in signing Tottenham's Jermain Defoe. (The Guardian)

Rangers are talking to Austria Vienna's Slovakian striker Filip Sebo. (Daily Telegraph)

Sunderland want to sign Tottenham winger Andy Reid and Wigan goalkeeper Mike Pollitt. (The Times)

OTHER GOSSIP

Ex-England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson is ready to pump his own money in Aston Villa as part of a Swedish consortium. (The Sun)

New Bolton signing Quinton Fortune says he was not surprised that Manchester United released him. (Various)

A legal expert believes Uefa's plans to boost the number of home-grown players could be unlawful. (Daily Express)

FUNNIES

Reading's Steve Sidwell has posed for the cameras to show off the tattoo of his 100-word+ wedding vows that he had put on his back last year (The Sun)

Real Madrid are set to make a cash-plus-player bid for Arsenal winger Jose Antonio Reyes. (People)

Reyes has told Gunners boss Arsene Wenger he wants to quit the club to join Madrid. (News of the World)

A clause in Ashley Cole's Arsenal contract means he will cost Chelsea £30m - but any other club will only have to pay £16m. (News of the World)

Sol Campbell has contacted Newcastle United to say he is keen to move to St James' Park. (Various) Manchester United are hoping to seal a £4m deal for Villarreal midfielder Marcos Senna. (Various)

Bolton are close to agreeing a deal to sign Jonathan Woodgate on loan from Real Madrid. (People)

Manchester United are plotting a £27m move for Athletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres. (People)

Sunderland are considering a loan move for Manchester City's Ben Thatcher and also wants former Newcastle defender Robbie Elliott. (People)

Real Madrid defender Roberto Carlos is on the verge of joining Fenerbahce. (Sunday Mirror)

Tottenham could step up their interest in Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing. (Independent on Sunday)

Portsmouth chairman Alexandre Gaydamak is in Turkey trying to complete a move deal for Fenerbahce striker Nicolas Anelka. (Observer)

Manchester City boss Stuart Pearce is targeting £2m-rated Reading defender Ibrahim Sonko. (Various)

OTHER GOSSIP

Frank Lampard thinks ex-England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson should have included Jermaine Defoe in his World Cup squad. (News of the World)

Cristiano Ronaldo has been given personal security by Manchester United ahead of his return to training next week. (People)

Aston Villa chairman Doug Ellis will offer the vacant manager's job at Villa Park to Martin O'Neill. (Sunday Times)

Sven-Goran Eriksson has ruled himself out of the running to be Villa's next boss. (Sunday Express)

Leeds chairman Ken Bates has demanded £24m compensation from his old club Chelsea for teenages Michael Woods and Tom Taiwo following the duo's move to Stamford Bridge. (Sunday Mirror)

FUNNIES

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson took his players to see Govan - the part of Glasgow he grew up in - on their way to Parkhead for last week's friendly, and warned them he would be testing them with questions about the area later. (Sunday Times)

31st July

Chelsea hope to sign Arsenal defender Ashley Cole for £25m this week. (The Sun)

Tottenham are set to make a new bid for Wigan defender Pascal Chimbonda - by offering a swap deal involving Danny Murphy and Andy Reid, plus cash. (Daily Mirror)

Real Madrid's Brazilian defender Roberto Carlos, who had been linked to Chelsea, is on the verge of a move to Turkish club Fenerbahce. (Daily Express)

Real Madrid are preparing a £14m offer for Spain international Jose Antonio Reyes. (Daily Mail)

Defender Robbie Elliott has edged closer to a move to Sunderland following his release by Newcastle by turning in an impressive performance as the Black Cats beat Carlisle in a friendly. (Daily Express)

Portsmouth will make a fresh move to try to persuade former Arsenal defender Sol Campbell to join the south-coast club. (Daily Star)

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder has admitted that he needs to strengthen his squad. (Daily Mail)

Bolton defender Radhi Jaidi is in talks with Birmingham after being told he can leave the Reebok Stadium. (The Times)

Wolves are in talks with ex-Birmingham defender Jamie Clapham, who has appeared as a trialist with Sheffield United, over a possible deal. (Daily Mirror)

Fulham have made a £2.5m offer for USA World Cup defender Oguchi Onyewu. (The Sun)

Aston Villa skipper Gareth Barry has made it clear to representatives at the club that he wants to leave, though he has not made a formal transfer request. (The Guardian)

Aberdeen will decide on Monday if they want to sign Zambian winger Christopher Katongo. (Daily Record)

OTHER GOSSIP

Portugal winger Cristiano Ronaldo has warned his family to stay away from England because of safety fears following his World Cup row with Manchester United team-mate Wayne Rooney. (The Sun)

Argentine referee Horacio Elizondo, who sent off England's Wayne Rooney in this summer's World Cup quarter-final with Portugal, has hit out at the striker for being a whinger, saying that he was "complaining all the time". (Various)

Defender Jonathan Woodgate is desperate to stay injury-free at Real Madrid and put himself back in contention with England. (Various)

West Brom midfielder Jason Koumas, who has been fined three times for failing to return to pre-season training and who wants to join Cardiff, has been told by Baggies boss Bryan Robson he will continue to be fined until he returns. (Daily Star)

Chelsea and England defender John Terry believes that the new boss of his national team, Steve McClaren, is the perfect person for the job. (Various)

It is becoming increasingly doubtful that the new Wembley will be ready for the 2007 FA Cup final. (Daily Telegraph)

FUNNIES

Scotland Under-19 coach Tommy Wilson has revealed that he was sent a text message on behalf of veteran rocker Rod Stewart after his side's 2-1 European Championship final defeat to Spain. (Daily Record)

Ronaldo fears for his family

Cristiano Ronaldo has reportedly warned his family to stay away from England as he prepares to return to training with Manchester United.

A month after becoming Public Enemy Number One for his role in Wayne Rooney's dismissal in England's World Cup quarter-final against Portugal, Ronaldo will report back from pre-season training on Monday.

Extra security has been drafted in for his protection, with Old Trafford executives expecting the winking winger to attract a posse of fans unhappy with his antics.

It's not entirely unreasonable to suggest that they will also be used to keep Rooney and Ronaldo apart. Alan Shearer infamously urged Rooney to "stick one on him", while it was reported that the striker had told team-mates that his idea of burying the hatchet would involve the hatchet "in Ronaldo's head."

But it is away from the training ground where Ronaldo faces his most pressing security fears.

According to The Sun, 'he fears his family will not be safe after his house was attacked by vandals and he received death threats. Instead, he has asked his family to remain in Portugal as he returns to face the music with Rooney.'

United, though, are prepared to tough it out with Ronaldo, confident that both the player and club can ride out the furore just as David Beckham did following his World Cup dismissal in 1998.

The winger has made no secret of his wish to join Real Madrid but the Spanish giants are proving uncooperative and are yet to make a bid for his services.

Reina plays in midfield as Liverpool defeated

Liverpool slipped up against second division German opposition and finished their match against Kaiserslautern with goalkeeper Jose Reina in midfield.

An injury to Luis Garcia left boss Rafael Benitez with little option other than to press Reina into action in an unfamiliar position with 11 minutes left of a match being played in Liechtenstein.

And while Reina twice came close to scoring, shooting narrowly wide and then over the bar, it was Kaiserslautern who clinched victory thanks to Marcel Ziemer's strike in the 87th minute.

After a goalless first half, Craig Bellamy looked to have given Liverpool the lead soon after the re-start when his shot hit the bar and appeared to cross the goalline, however the decision went against the Welshman.

Liverpool handed a debut to Jermaine Pennant in the second half and he looked threatening, however the German side went in front after 56 minutes when substitute Ricardo Villar fired past Jerzy Dudek, making the most of an error by Jack Hobbs.

Bellamy got the goal he deserved on the hour mark following good work from another substitute, Garcia.

It was Garcia who shot Liverpool in front after 67 minutes, Pennant and Bellamy having made the opening for the Spaniard, however Kaiserslautern were level four minutes later.

Ziemer pounced on another Hobbs mistake to strike their equaliser.

Reina's introduction in place of Garcia, who suffered a minor knock, almost brought about a dramatic result as his shots caused Kaiserslautern concern.

But Ziemer had the final say, finding space behind the Liverpool defence and lifting his shot above Dudek for the winner.

Benitez admitted the friendly match had not gone according to plan, and Liverpool must now wait not only for news of Garcia but also of defender Fabio Aurelio.

Aurelio, also a half-time substitute, was another who had to be taken off before the final whistle, and he could face several weeks on the sidelines with a calf injury.

Benitez told www.liverpoolfc.tv: 'It was a difficult game for us with the two injuries to Luis and Fabio and we made three mistakes which cost us the game.

'Luis had a problem with his neck and we decided the best thing would be to take him off. Fabio felt something in his calf and I think it's a more serious problem than Luis.'

If there was a positive to come out of the defeat, it was that Pennant performed well in his first appearance since signing from Birmingham.

'I thought Jermaine Pennant did a good job and played well,' said Benitez. 'He showed the quality that he has.'