Sign in to follow this  
timesle

Official World Cup 2014 Thread

Re: Official World Cup 2014 Thread

The referee tonight was atrocious, he belongs in a pub league not officiating a World Cup game!

Missed carding plenty of players from both sides yet brings out a yellow for Rodriguez when he hardly even touched him. I also think it should of been a red for Cesar but that was a much closer decision than some of the tackles that were on show from other players.

I feel for him. He had the hopes of a nation resting on his shoulders' date=' so I hope he doesn't feel that he's let anyone down by picking up an injury that he could do nothing about. His goals have been a big part of Brazil getting this far and hopefully people see that, and let's be honest he's done excellent to come back and shush the doubters after not lighting up La Liga as much as many thought (albeit the amount of talent he has is unquestionable).

Brazil aren't a one man side though and I thought you could really see how much they want to win the World Cup in their own country more than ever tonight. Really like the amount of passion they show from the national anthem onwards, even if some of the things they do on the pitch isn't exactly nice to watch (i.e. diving/being over theatrical etc.).

I don't think Germany have an easy task at all, as some have suggested. Silva and Neymar are obviously huge losses, but this Brazil team aren't one that relies solely on certain individuals (despite Neymar being on four goals :P). They perhaps aren't as intimidating as before, but they certainly aren't going to be rolled over because of a few individuals being out.[/quote']

I agree, everyone saying it will be way easier for Germany now i feel are wrong.

Neymar dragged Brazil through the group games but against Chile and tonight against Colombia he wasn't the sole influence in the team. I also think that Dante will be a good enough replacement for Silva, obviously he isn't as good as him but he is more than capable to put in a good defensive display.

Brazil really improved tonight and players who hadn't put in any sort of half decent performance did so tonight.

I would still put Germany as favourites against them, due to their clinical football and being able to stifle opponents like they did against France. It will be far from easy though.

Gutted for him.

He is a bit of a clown and very theatrical yes but no fan should wish any kind of injury on a player - let alone a 21 year old, or that kind of injury. (Seen over Facebook and twitter).

Huge loss to Brazil, & the tournament.

Hole he regains his health as that is the most important thing.

Gutted for him.

He is a bit of a clown and very theatrical yes but no fan should wish any kind of injury on a player - let alone a 21 year old' date=' or that kind of injury. (Seen over Facebook and twitter).

Huge loss to Brazil, & the tournament.

Hole he regains his health as that is the most important thing.[/quote']

He's definitely a loss, but given the back-up Brazil has, it's not all lost.

Thiago Silva is still the biggest loss in my opinion, as Dante isn't anywhere as good as him.

Bernard for Neymar would be my guess - similar kind of style of play.

Did I see somebody say the ref had a great game, my oh my I have seen some inaccurate statements in my time but that is right up there.

The Ref was horrific, he had no control over the game ridiculously lenient and offered the players absolutely no protection. If he had got his cards out (justifiably) then maybe some of the horrific tackling we saw might have been avoided.

Tackling is fine if fair, but if not you should be punished, surely we want to see the artisans in Neymar, Rodriguez etc given adequate protection from the absolute thuggery of Fernandinho and Zuniga for example??

They saw early this ref had no strength about him and took liberties booting people in the air all game, kicking anything that moves. The Ref has a responsibility to implement the rules of the game and clearly last night he did not, one of the most inept referring performances of all time.

Did I see somebody say the ref had a great game' date=' my oh my I have seen some inaccurate statements in my time but that is right up there.

The Ref was horrific, he had no control over the game ridiculously lenient and offered the players absolutely no protection. If he had got his cards out (justifiably) then maybe some of the horrific tackling we saw might have been avoided.

Tackling is fine if fair, but if not you should be punished, surely we want to see the artisans in Neymar, Rodriguez etc given adequate protection from the absolute thuggery of Fernandinho and Zuniga for example??

They saw early this ref had no strength about him and took liberties booting people in the air all game, kicking anything that moves. The Ref has a responsibility to implement the rules of the game and clearly last night he did not, one of the most inept referring performances of all time.[/quote']

He was appalling. First yellow card after 38 fouls apparently. That aside, some of the challenges, particularly from Fernandinho were horrendous.

Brazil's problem is that their style of play for years has been centred around Neymar. They have other talented players' date=' but they aren't used to utilising them.[/b'] I think they'd be best with Oscar taking Neymar's usual role and Fernandinho doing what Oscar does.

Yup. If there was one player really vital to the teams still in the competition - aside from Messi - it would be Neymar for Brazil.

I expect Brazil to crash out at the semi-finals.

There's a reason guys like Paulinho/Hulk/Ramires etc. starting so often ahead of just about equally good substitutes. It's all down to having lots of experience playing in this side that has been especially built around Neymar for years.

In fact' date=' if I was Zuniga, I'd be mildly concerned about being shot in the head while visiting a night club next time -,-[/quote']

In brazil? I don't think so. Better chance of him getting a pat on the back and a free pint from the brazilians.

good refereeing so far, though its been a fairly easy match to referee, no really controversial fouls yet, nor any really close calls.

The game itself isnt the most spectacular game of the world cup, its been really slow paced, both teams arent really pushing, Argentina seems quite satisfied with the 1 goal lead, Belgium just doesnt seem to pierce through the argentinian defence, hopefully we will see abit more action in the 2nd half

Riferimento: Re: Official World Cup 2014 Thread

good refereeing so far' date=' though its been a fairly easy match to referee, no really controversial fouls yet, nor any really close calls.

The game itself isnt the most spectacular game of the world cup, its been really slow paced, both teams arent really pushing, Argentina seems quite satisfied with the 1 goal lead, Belgium just doesnt seem to pierce through the argentinian defence, hopefully we will see abit more action in the 2nd half[/quote']

Totally agree with you.

I think that Lukaku and Mertens could change something IMO

After 24 years, Argentina is back in the semis.

Kind of hard to believe that a national team like theirs would take so long to get back in the final 4.

Cant really say they had any big obstacles on their way though, i mean, belgium has been the best team thy have played in this world cup, and Belgium today had absoltely no ideas and no inventive. Not counting todays game, the toughest team they faced has been nigeria, and that says alot about the level of the teams they have faced.

Really lucky year for them, but nonetheless happy for them, but next game it gets really tough, if Netherlands go throught, which will most likely happen, i hardly see this Argentina advancing to the finals.

Even today they have been really poor, but they were lucky enough to have their opponents be even worse, against netherlands you either play an awesome game, or you go home.

Robben so far has been arguably the most on form player of the tournament, only topped maybe by James Rodriguez.

Personally i see a Netherlands - Germany final being the most likely result of the semi's.