Official World Cup 2014 Thread

timesle

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Official World Cup 2014 Thread

Holland struggle so much in build-up play.

They showed it against Mexico and now against Costa Rica.

They're clearly a counter attack team.

When the opponent has possession, like Spain, they can inflict their deadly counter attacks more easily and catch the opponent off guard more often.

That's it' date=' all done! Just pack your bags and go home guys, if we win a penalty shootout its all done and dusted so Blatter might as well give us the cup already :D :D

[center']GO HOLLAND![/center]

Interesting to see that you have "GO HOLLAND" as I was discussing this t'other day at work. I thought Holland were north and south provinces within The Netherlands? So, shouldn't it be "GO THE NETHERLANDS"

Curious to know as I always thought Holland was part of The Netherlands. Are both accepted?

Interesting to see that you have "GO HOLLAND" as I was discussing this t'other day at work. I thought Holland were north and south provinces within The Netherlands? So' date=' shouldn't it be "[b']GO THE NETHERLANDS[/b]"

Curious to know as I always thought Holland was part of The Netherlands. Are both accepted?

Holland/The Netherlands are exactly the same for us. We do have two provinces called North-Holland and South-Holland, which was once callled Holland (and used to be a single province back when our country had only seven provinces). But these days when you say Holland you mean the same as The Netherlands. Reason I use Holland is because its easier to say than The Netherlands (though in Dutch I usually say Nederland :P)

Holland/The Netherlands are exactly the same for us. We do have two provinces called North-Holland and South-Holland' date=' which was once callled Holland (and used to be a single province back when our country had only seven provinces). But these days when you say Holland you mean the same as The Netherlands. Reason I use Holland is because its easier to say than The Netherlands (though in Dutch I usually say Nederland :P)[/quote']

Ah, cheers for the explanation. The Dutch certainly know how to confuse matters :)

That's it' date=' all done! Just pack your bags and go home guys, if we win a penalty shootout its all done and dusted so Blatter might as well give us the cup already :D :D

[center']GO HOLLAND![/center]

Yep, in italian for Example we say Olanda, which is Holland.

We also have another way of saying which is Paesi Bassi, which has a closer tie to the word Netherlands.

Paesi Bassi is usually used when booking or have to choose a country among a list of them, so it is the formal way.

Olanda is more used in sportive terms and also when you are having a chat or discussion with someone.

In the forum i use Netherlands as opposed to Holland, as i feel saying Holland is like saying Soccer (if you get what i mean), even though the first word that comes up to mind when i think of the Oranje is Holland (when i think of it in english that is) and not Netherlands.

Its similar to the England/ United ingdom thing.

When you have to book something or it is somethin abit more formal, serious or professional, you use United Kingdom/UK, when its no formal, you use England.

Of course the are expections for everything, but generally thats how it goes really in regards of the use these terms

Louis van Gaal has revealed that he told Tim Krul before Netherlands' World Cup quarter-final against Costa Rica that he would be called upon in the event of a penalty shootout - but not Jasper Cillessen.

The Dutch coach made the remarkable decision to substitute his first-choice goalkeeper with just seconds go to in extra time at Arena Fonte Nova but it proved a masterstroke, with Krul saving two of Costa Rica's five spot kicks as Oranje triumphed 4-3 in the shootout to set up a semi-final showdown with Argentina.

"We thought this through beforehand," Van Gaal told reporters. "Every player in my squad has certain skills and qualities. They don't always overlap but all thought that Tim would be the most appropriate keeper to stop penalties because he has a long reach.

"We said nothing to Jasper because we didn't want to be faced with this information before the match because that would be disappointing for him but every goalkeeper has his qualities and we felt that Tim had a longer reach and a better track record stopping penalties.

"So we discussed all of this with Tim and we had him study Costa Rica's penalties [in their last-16 shootout win over Greece]. You will have seen that he dived in the right direction time and time again so all of us are a little bit proud that this play has helped us through."

Holland didn't win the shootout because of Tim Krul, they won it because their own penalty takers were fantastic. Krul wouldn't have saved a single Dutch penalty.

Costa Rica scored 3 penalties which is the same amount Brazil converted when they won their shoot-out against Chile.

Ruiz's penalty was awful and would have been saved by any competent goalkeeper who didn't dive the other way. The save from Umana was decent.

Archived