Sign in to follow this  
timesle

Official World Cup 2014 Thread

Re: Official World Cup 2014 Thread

Just not very good at penalties I think. No experience.

He got his hands to 2. Very good Argentina penalties. Those that were within reach were hit very very hard.

Had he got some experience, maybe in the last game, he'd have done better. The Dutch takers did the job against Costa Rica, not really Krul.

Ever since they played Mexico, Holland never deserved to go through.

Well done Argentina, wanted a Latin America team to take it. But Germany could take this one as well.

He got his hands to 2. Very good Argentina penalties. Those that were within reach were hit very very hard.

Had he got some experience' date=' maybe in the last game, he'd have done better. [b']The Dutch takers did the job against Costa Rica, not really Krul.[/b]

Krul's saves made the Costan Ricas more worried, thus their penalty quality significantly decreased imo. When a penalty is saved, your confidence immediately starts falling, so imo Krul did the job against Costa Rica.

Ever since they played Mexico' date=' Holland never deserved to go through.

Well done Argentina, wanted a Latin America team to take it. But Germany could take this one as well.[/quote']

TBH I think most neutrals will want Germany to win, played much the better football out if the two sides remaining in this tournament....

Extra day off, Argentina gone to ET, without Di Maria probably everything really is in Germany's favour there's to lose IMO

Holland deserved to lose. They were too negative during normal time and ET' date=' I forget how many times they were attacking only to turn an go back to their keeper.[/quote']

First half yes, second half no.

They mirrored the game at half-time and put Argentina strongly on the back foot.

Neither team really deserved to be the winner, but Holland was definitely on par with their adversaries tonight.

Netherlands penalty taker always in this sequences 1. v.Persie 2. Robben 3. Sneijder 4. Kuyt 5. Vlaar 6. Huntelaar

It makes sense Vlaar or Huntelaar should be the first taker, because v.Persie already subs out. But of course, nobody knows about that in here. :)

I personally will put Huntelaar ahead of Vlaar, but it is just me. Also now we all know why Van Gaal makes that GK substitution against Costa Rica. Cillessen is just not good enough.

We are overachieved in this World Cup if I'm being honest considering the squad (especially the defender) that we have and guess the luck is run out.

The future is bright; now comes in Guus Hiddink. :)

Netherlands penalty taker always in this sequences 1. v.Persie 2. Robben 3. Sneijder 4. Kuyt 5. Vlaar 6. Huntelaar

It makes sense Vlaar or Huntelaar should be the first taker' date=' because v.Persie already subs out. But of course, nobody know about that in here. :)

I personally will put Huntelaar ahead of Vlaar, but it is just me. Also now we all know why Van Gaal makes that GK substitution against Costa Rica. Cillessen is just not good enough.

We are overachieved in this World Cup if I'm being honest considering the squad (especially the defender) that we have and guess the luck is run out.

The future is bright; now comes in Guus Hiddink. :)[/quote']

No it doesn't. Your best takers should always take first as you don't always need to take a 5th or even 4th penalty. Look at Ronaldo in the Euros - saved himself for 5th because of his huge ego and Portugal had lost before he could take a penalty.

It makes sense Vlaar or Huntelaar should be the first taker' date=' because v.Persie already subs out. But of course, nobody knows about that in here. :)

The future is bright; now comes in Guus Hiddink. :)[/quote']

Hiddink's going to have an exceptionally difficult task in 2018, IMO the Dutch team is pretty average bar Robben and Van Persie and they'll be 34 by the time Russia comes around.

If Huntelaar's normally the sixth penalty taker why did he take the penalty against Mexico? Surely others would have been before him?

I did not have a preference on who to play in the final, but Argentina did look the more winded of the two sides in extra time, and the Dutch controlled the game more from about Minute 70 onward. Argentina's defense is not as organized as Holland's, but it definitely helps when van Persie did nothing the whole game, as well as Robben not being his usual self. Also, Germany do not have to deal with van Gaal's mind games or facing Robben, as he is most of the Germany players' teammate at Bayern.

No it doesn't. Your best takers should always take first as you don't always need to take a 5th or even 4th penalty. Look at Ronaldo in the Euros - saved himself for 5th because of his huge ego and Portugal had lost before he could take a penalty.

Agreed. I'm guessing that they're logic was to get Vlaar to take the first penalty as it carries the least amount of pressure and then save their proper penalty takers for the other 4 where the pressure mounts.

If it is up for players to pick the sequence' date=' yes it doesn't make sense. But knowing Van Gaal, I'm pretty sure he gonna follow his template.

And players doesn't ask around to be picked first or last, it is always the manager that make that choice. eg, Luis Garcia don't get the nod in the Istanbul against Milan even after he begged Rafa. And I don't know about Ronaldo penalty, maybe you are right about that.

but honestly, why Huntelaar for Van Persie? He should have brought Krul, knowing Clissen's penalty skills...

v.Persie is poor. The substitution makes sense and it is early substitution.

Hiddink's going to have an exceptionally difficult task in 2018' date=' IMO the Dutch team is pretty average bar Robben and Van Persie and they'll be 34 by the time Russia comes around.

If Huntelaar's normally the sixth penalty taker why did he take the penalty against Mexico? Surely others would have been before him?[/quote']

New generation Holland is very exciting. I'm looking forward to 2018 tbh. 2016 euros will be the last tournament for this group I think

New generation Holland is very exciting. I'm looking forward to 2018 tbh. 2016 euros will be the last tournament for this group I think

Agree with this - only worry is strikers.

Hiddink's going to have an exceptionally difficult task in 2018' date=' IMO the Dutch team is pretty average bar Robben and Van Persie and they'll be 34 by the time Russia comes around.

If Huntelaar's normally the sixth penalty taker why did he take the penalty against Mexico? Surely others would have been before him?[/quote']

Yeah, he need to do huge rebuilding to finally make Netherlands win something. But with all the young player emerging, plus huge experience they got from this tournament, I'm pretty sure that would help the cause. We gonna have bucket load of young players to choose from. :)

Penalty during the game and after extra time is different imo, and not always the same player taking it. Again eg, Alonso v Milan during for 3-3 and he didn't even take a penalty after the extra time.

Agree with this - only worry is strikers.

Casnos hopefully hits another level this season if he gets a decent move. Depay, Locadia are also very talented. I also have my favourite in the lad that not many have heard of, Steven Bergwijn