Official World Cup 2014 Thread

Re: Official World Cup 2014 Thread

In short' date=' Brazil has tons of quality players.:D[/quote']

yes, but not in every position.

as i said, CF, fullback & GK is a worry.

If they revert back to 3 CBs, they have a nice pool to choose from, with wingbacks bombing on.

Russia 2018

GK?

RWB? - Marquinhos - Thiago Silva - Juan Jesus/Doria - LWB?

Luiz Gustavo - Paulinho/David Luiz

Oscar - Neymar

CF?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official World Cup 2014 Thread With Robin Van Persie suspended, tonight will be the first time in 221 games (1996) that the Netherlands will play without a player with 'Van' in their name.

Re: Official World Cup 2014 Thread Just downloaded Luis Suarez's greatest moments....it was only 3 MEGA BYTES.....#DEAD

Re: Official World Cup 2014 Thread I don't' date=' just thought what are common/similar things between your wifey n chicken. I came up with two: breasts and IQ. I know, her breasts are as big as m

;2952476']yes' date=' but not in every position.

as i said, CF, fullback & GK is a worry.

If they revert back to 3 CBs, they have a nice pool to choose from, with fullbacks bombing on.

Russia 2018

[center']GK?

RB? - Marquinhos - Thiago Silva - Juan Jesus/Doria - LB?

Luiz Gustavo - Paulinho/David Luiz

Oscar - Neymar

CF?[/center]

The trend is if you don't have good CF,don't use it. Silva--Fabregas--Pedro trio upfront is lightweight too and it works well. Scolari simply too scared to try new plan and too comfortable with his Confed team and decided to keep out of form players(Paulinho,Hulk) in the team rather than bringing players in top form. I'll say their success in Confed Cup probably what cost Brazil this World Cup.

;2952472']Yeah it is pretty much the same because it works' date=' bar the players i removed who where horrendous and at fault for a vast majority of the goals against them.

David Luiz, Dante, Marcelo, Hulk.

They have utilised this formation for years in preparion for the WC, they cant switch it at the last minute.

Its not Freds problem they cant develop a true CF, he showed his quality in the role on the CONFED cup and he has been missing due to injury last 12months but they need one as a hold up man and a box predator. Playing Neymar & another as a floating pair wouldnt work as its too lightweight, and so offensive you would just encounter the same pressure on the defensive unit if not even greater.

[b']Cant just take Firmino, he has no experience is more of the same they have already[/b]. Same with Coutinho. Id have picked Lucas Moura and Hernanes over them all day long. They both have time on there side to be integrated.

I actually think this is could be a wake for Brazil, and im going to put it out there that they could be winning the next WC with the side they have in the U23 category.

Doria, Juan Jesus, Marquinhos to come in and learn under Thiago Silva to form a experienced and solid backline. New fullbacks need to be introduced, Dani Alves & Marcelo days should be numbered, Marcelo possibly may still have a role but no full backs stick out in my mind coming through to the Olympic side. Douglas Santos has been used alot, and Wendell joing Leverkusen could be a good one to watch. Also Gabriel Silva & Portos Alex Sandro & Danilo worth a mention.

They have plenty of young DMs and AMs to bring though also - inlcuding Firmino & Coutinho. Paulinho, Luis Gustavo will still be there, and David Luiz should be shifted to a DM role but someone has to put shackles on him.

Oscar will be the jewel in the crown for the next 10 years no doubt in my mind, and Neymar to be the poster boy.

The two trouble spots will remain at CF & Goalkeeper.

Why can't Firmino do the same then?Firmino's an amazing footballer who would've helped Brazil at this World Cup,sadly/happily he's been ignored after a phenomenal season.

The trend is if you don't have good CF' date='don't use it. Silva--Fabregas--Pedro trio upfront is lightweight too and it works well. Scolari simply too scared to try new plan and too comfortable with his Confed team and decided to keep out of form players(Paulinho,Hulk) in the team rather than bringing players in top form. I'll say their success in Confed Cup probably what cost Brazil this World Cup.[/quote']

Did it work? not this WC for Spain.

Brazil without a CF is unimaginable.

Ronaldo, Pele, Careca, Romario, Bebeto.

To break that mold just wont happen. Brazil wont 'copy' what everyone else is doing and break a tradition.

Granted Scolari made some terrible selections and was tactically inept, and being WC hosts cost them the World Cup. No proper games for nearly 3 years and immense pressure in front of home support at boiling point.

Why can't Firmino do the same then?Firmino's an amazing footballer who would've helped Brazil at this World Cup' date='sadly/happily he's been ignored after a phenomenal season.[/quote']

Read further down, i said he will have to have a chance, much alike Coutinho.

But i would of had Lucas Moura ahead of him.

And when you have so much talent in the same roles/positions, some are going to be overlooked.

;2952492']Did it work? not this WC for Spain.

Ronaldo' date=' Pele, Careca, Romario, Bebeto.

To break that mold just wont happen. Brazil wont 'copy' what everyone else is doing and break a tradition.

Granted Scolari made some terrible selections and was tactically inept, and being WC hosts cost them the World Cup. No proper games for nearly 3 years and a home support at boiling point.[/quote']

Spain play with Diego Costa this WC though. Brazil without CF is unimaginable? I think Brazil with Fred as their CF is more unimaginable. Keeping 'tradition' for your tactic and ignoring performance will be tactically naive. Even Luis Fabiano is criticized in 2010 WC and at least he's better than Fred

;2952492']Did it work? not this WC for Spain.

Ronaldo' date=' Pele, Careca, Romario, Bebeto.

Granted Scolari made some terrible selections and was tactically inept, and being WC hosts cost them the World Cup. No proper games for nearly 3 years and a home support at boiling point.[/quote']

Spain didn't use it in this world cup.

Brazil have broke tradition and adapted to the times before, look at the difference in playing styles between Brazil of 1982 and Brazil of 1994.

Yes, Brazil have had some legendary centre forwards but what does that count for in their current squad. Either Brazil had to play a striker incomparable to those greats, or had to play with no striker at al.

Being hosts didn't have anything to do with their demise, they were just a lot weaker and less organised then Germany.

;2952495']Read further down' date=' i said he will have to have a chance, much alike Coutinho.

But i would of had Lucas Moura ahead of him.

And when you have so much talent in the same roles/positions, some are going to be overlooked.[/quote']

Lucas ahead of him?After he'll work on his end product,maybe.Untill then,Firmino should be ahead of him pretty easily.He is as talented as Lucas,he's a better scorer,he's a better passer.Lucas has a better technique,I will give him that but Firmino can still get rid of players on his way to goal.Besides that,Firmino has that "Gladiator soul"(if that works in this context) and will give everything on the pitch.As you probably know,he wasn't so lucky when he was a child.Brazil needs players who can score,they have no one,but Neymar.

Why don't we just accept Brazil are not very good right now....

Marcelo, David Luiz can't defend for toffee...

Maicon is absolutely shot as a footballer, Dani Alves past his best...

Paulinho, Fernandinho, Gustavo in CM woefully short of anything resembling any creative ability or able to control a game and shown they can't protect a back four in the way they should.

I mean Paulinho how can he be there seriously??!!!

Oscar is so overhyped to be untrue....

They have no strikers worthy of the name.....

They play football which is basically physical and little flair, creativity, nothing to like about them currently.

Coutinho, Firmino, Lucas must all come in to add some much needed creativity and flair nobody can tell me that they won't bring more than the likes of Hulk, Bernard, etc...

Luis Felipe, Miranda must come into the back four...

Brazil have a massive rebuild to do, in many ways as a purist if the game it is sad to see how far they have regressed. I mean I would fancy England to beat them currently which says it all...

Things we'll see next world cup depend heavily on what clubs have been successful in CL the couple years prior to world cup

I'd imagine the sweeper-keeper will become more popular. Aside from that I can't predict which teams will win CL, though Bayern are likely to win something in near future.

And oh, nothing was gonna save Brazil this world cup, aside from having a different manager. It doesn't matter if they brought on different players for every position -- especially those in attacking positions like Lucas, Coutinho, etc. --because the sheer disaster that was their defensive organization would've seen them concede a billion goals anyways.

If the manager hasn't imposed any kind of a plan on how to defend, any half-decent team will tear them apart.

Lucas ahead of him?After he'll work on his end product' date='maybe.Untill then,Firmino should be ahead of him pretty easily.He is as talented as Lucas,he's a better scorer,he's a better passer.Lucas has a better technique,I will give him that but Firmino can still get rid of players on his way to goal.Besides that,Firmino has that "Gladiator soul"(if that works in this context) and will give everything on the pitch.As you probably know,he wasn't so lucky when he was a child.Brazil needs players who can score,they have no one,but Neymar.[/quote']

But who does he replace? Oscar is the no.10, Neymar on the right, and he simply wont be ahead of them in this moment of time.

Lucas gives them width option, can Firmino play wide? Or on the left?

I wholeheartedly agree his season warranted him a chance now at a call up, but as i said, there are so many quality players for so few positions in the side, and Lucas has been tried and tested in several successful squads at U20 & U23 level, and in the way Brazils NT set up works, they identify the talent and bring them through the,U20, U23 and then to full NT duties. Unfortunately for the likes of Firmino & Coutinho they werent always in these programs (possibly due to moves abroad at a young age) which makes it a little harder for them to get a call up.

But he is in a young age group and Brazil will ditch alot of players that wont be around in 4 years time to continue the conveyor belt of talent to bring the Selecao success.

Can't believe the final is today! A month has flown by. Hopefully it tops off a great tournament (from a neutral point of view for the majority of the tournament :P).

I'm hoping Messi and co. can pick up the win today. Although he doesn't need to do anything else to prove that he's one of the best players of all time IMO, a World Cup winners medal would surely shut up the people that claim Messi isn't up there. What else would he need to do?

I'll go for a 2-0 Argentina win, although it's unlikely that Germany won't score. Why follow the crowd though? ;)

I will have to hope that Germany win although not as brilliant as some have made them out to be they have been the best side in this tournament and deserve it based on what we have seen so far.

However if I had a crystal ball and could be guarenteed Messi plays a blinder, wins the cup and cements his legacy as one of the greatest footballers as all time I would sign up for that, genius.

Also be nice for an old friend in Javier Mascherano. :)

Lets just hope it is a great game, think Argentina will sit back deny Germany space and try to get a counter, will Germany have enough to break them down all promises to be a great game and occasion.

Half of me pity ze german for not winning this cup for a good while, half of me believe Messi will do the his magic and won this single-handedly, half of me don't want Messi to win everything, half of me want to see Raz is right about "No Reus, No World Cup".

I'm torn between things.