Official World Cup 2014 Thread

timesle

Re: Official World Cup 2014 Thread

Don't think it's their fault. They're so isolated with Argentina's 5 at the back. Taking off a CB' date=' moving the wing backs to full back roles and putting in another midfielder would do them a world of good IMO.[/quote']

basically changin the whole formation lol xD

Sabella wotn do that, especially now that hes winning.

You can see that Argentina is happy with the actual score, or esle they would have been more aggressive on the Bosnian midfielders when they had the ball.

Im sure in the second half we will see a slightly more offensive Bosnia, which will eventually bring Argentina to counter attack.

Don't think it's their fault. They're so isolated with Argentina's 5 at the back. Taking off a CB' date=' moving the wing backs to full back roles and putting in another midfielder would do them a world of good IMO.[/quote']

I wasn't blaming them so to speak but more highlighting how flat the game has been with those two in particular not getting into the game.

I do agree that the 5 at the back isn't working and going to four with an extra midfielder would open it up more. I don't think having Maxi Rodriguez on is doing any good either, someone like Alvarez or Lavezzi would be a much better option and give some life into this game as.

basically changin the whole formation lol xD

Sabella wotn do that' date=' especially now that hes winning.

You can see that Argentina is happy with the actual score, or esle they would have been more aggressive on the Bosnian midfielders when they had the ball.

Im sure in the second half we will see a slightly more offensive Bosnia, which will eventually bring Argentina to counter attack.[/quote']

I can't believe that they've gone with 5 at the back throughout qualifying but I might be wrong. They seem scared of Bosnia both in how they're playing and how they've approached it tactically. In Messi, Aguero, di Maria and Maxi they have lots of excellent technical players but the formation means they're all playing in the same central areas. That's very easy to defend against by simply having numbers in the way and Bosnia are doing just that. Move Maxi and di Maria wide, bring on someone else to hold with Masch and tell Messi to play wherever he pleases. That's much harder to defend.

I can't believe that they've gone with 5 at the back throughout qualifying but I might be wrong. They seem scared of Bosnia both in how they're playing and how they've approached it tactically. In Messi' date=' Aguero, di Maria and Maxi they have lots of excellent technical players but the formation means they're all playing in the same central areas. That's very easy to defend against by simply having numbers in the way and Bosnia are doing just that. Move Maxi and di Maria wide, bring on someone else to hold with Masch and tell Messi to play wherever he pleases. That's much harder to defend.[/quote']

Sabella probably thinks that adding 1 bad defender to another 4 bad defenders suddenly makes it for a good defence.

Now, dont get me wrong, some of these defenders are really good (when paired with other world class defenders), but together as a whole, they are average at best, at least at defending.

And i cannot but agree with you, this style of play from argentina is detracting from their actually strong spot, which is their offensive power, Sabella seems to be expecting Di Maria, Aguero and especially Messi, to emulate Maradona and do everything themselves, pity everytime they have the ball, 3 Bosnian players pressure them straight away.

Same deal with Bosnia really, due to the compact 5 man Argentinian Line, even if average, Bosnia just cant pass through, they dont have enough pace nor technique to quickly and smoothly outplay them, at least not from what i've seen in the first half.

The game is still pretty open.

Edit: You were right, Campagnaro off, Gago On

4 man defence now, we should see a more aggressive Argentina now

As i said, Bosnian players, bar a couple, have absolutely no technique, they cant get a pass or cross one properly... Its shocking...

A decent Argentina in the last 3o minutes, but abely not enough to think that you can get to the end of the world cup

As i said' date=' Bosnian players, bar a couple, have absolutely no technique, they cant get a pass or cross one properly... Its shocking...

A decent Argentina in the last 3o minutes, but abely not enough to think that you can get to the end of the world cup[/quote']

In fairness none of the favourites have been impressive in their first games. Brazil were very lucky to beat Croatia and obviously Spain got a thumping. It's going to be interesting to see how Germany do tomorrow.

I'd be interested to hear the Argentina manager explain his strategy in the first half.

Play a back 5 with a midfield that makes no runs and lacks creativity. They had to start Higuain if they play wing backs. I would've played 4-2-3-1. It would've worked even better with someone like Iturbe called up, but even Lavezzi-Messi-Di Maria would've..

People hype Argentina as favourites but they are pretty similar to Uruguay.

Unless Messi is at his best. Both teams have decent wing backs and 1 very good cb. Their midfield are mostly hard workers and then they have great strikers.

I'd be interested to hear the Argentina manager explain his strategy in the first half.

He actually apologised for the inicial team shape right after the game in the flash interview ;)

Still, you're not mentioning also Bosnia's "treason" to its usual 2 na attack, leaving Ibisevic benched for an extra midfielder... These guys scored 30 someting goals in the qualification games!

In fairness none of the favourites have been impressive in their first games. Brazil were very lucky to beat Croatia and obviously Spain got a thumping. It's going to be interesting to see how Germany do tomorrow.

Well, Netherlands would disagree :D

Yeah, that's true but I feel Portugal will contradict that trend today hehe

some interesting games today, thought the highlight of the switzerland ecuador match was clark carlise(the genius that he is:rolleyes:) saying that he didn't realise that the ecuador team was so strong as he'd been watching jackson martinez play in the europa league and couldn't believe he couldn't get in there starting lineup, wonder why that was heh clark...

honduras against france game was disgraceful, don't know how they didn't end up having more men sent off just glad there was a strong enough ref in charge and he actually punished the right players, i mean i honestly thought for a second that pogba was in real trouble after palacios and that other guy(think it was the wigan player) trampled allover him while he was on the deck

beckeles, and garcia(2nd half sub) both should of walked in my opinion aswell neither of them even slightly interested in playing the ball and could of caused some serious damage with the reckless tackles they were throwing around

and najar gesturing for a booking a few minutes into the game was tasteless, glad its been an isolated incident so far this world cup and personally think anyone who does that should be carded themselves

all in all its a shame they can't be kicked from the tournament

argentina bosnia first half was pretty poor but certainly came to life in the second half once both teams went to there normally used formations,

do want bosnia to do well just because its there first appearance and think they gave a pretty good account of themselves all things considered and hopefully they will still qualify from there group behind argentina, most impressive player on the pitch for bosnia i felt was besic,

really didn't put a foot wrong all game and they certainly looked more threatening after they went two up top i mean they had a few wild shots here and there but overall it looked like they've got a solid foundation to build from

Still' date=' you're not mentioning also Bosnia's "treason" to its usual 2 na attack, leaving Ibisevic benched for an extra midfielder... These guys scored 30 someting goals in the qualification games![/quote']

Probably the same reason we played 5-3-2 instead of the usual Dutch 4-3-3, because you're not good enough to beat a good nation with your normal formation. Only problem for Bosnia was that they're not good enough regardless of their formation :o

Di maria will be the standout player for Argentina and Messi will be their highest scorer. Argentina will go a long way no doubt. I thought Bosnia played a good strategic game and theres no need to mock the Argentines for it.