Official World Cup 2014 Thread

timesle

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Official World Cup 2014 Thread

Meh. Robben got animated after the contact, but the contact itself happened first. Sometimes refs don't give the penalties that should be given just for being annoyed with the extra motions but that doesn't change the fact that the right type of contact was there to qualify for a penalty

Shame we won't see anymore Suarez bites for at least 4 months though :(

That's poor Frozy, what has he got to do with a debate on Robben's dive, pretty poor response all in all??

Instead of sticking to the subject bring in a completely different topic, cheap shot.

That's poor Frozy' date=' what has he got to do with a debate on Robben's dive, pretty poor response all in all??

Instead of sticking to the subject bring in a completely different topic, cheap shot.[/quote']

We were discussing Goalkeepers as far as i recall so not sure what that Robben remark had to do with it either

We were discussing Goalkeepers as far as i recall so not sure what that Robben remark had to do with it either

Just commenting on what was on TV at the time, didn't see Suarez biting anybody in the ITV studio five minutes ago but they were showing the Holland game.....

To be frank I don't care if Suarez but Chellini(as long as he didnt walking dead do some damage bit to him :P) if he scores 30 goals a season for Liverpool, the difference is at least I am honest about it.

Fans of football clubs all support there players no matter what they have done as long as they do it on the pitch for you they will forgive almost anything be it wifebeaters, drink drivers, racists, thugs, adulterers,Kung Fu imitators, players who walk out and go play Golf for six months people who deliberately set out to end players careers (Keane etc)

Had this debate many times Morals don't exist in football, all fans are hypocrites in there own way.

Does it make it right, no it probably Dont, but it is the harsh reality.

See no cheap shot there either unlike everybody towards me tonight, but hey c'est la vie we all have our way of debating. :-) :-)

Anyhow off to bed gotta be at work for six enjoy the rest of your evening everybody.

Not at all. Very happy we're through in 90 minutes especially. I knew the goal will come and for my favourite player to score it is an euphoric moment

Knew you would said that. :D Tbh Sneijder have been pish poor' date=' he did redeemed himself with that goal tho.

Next : Costa Rica.

Luckily; 1) we avoided unnecessary extra 30 minute in that kind of heat and 2) Costa Rica played with 10 men for 1 hour of football. That surely would tired them up.

We really miss Strootman today, without De Jong it's really easy to penetrate through the center. Hope he gets back in time, don't really fancy Wijnaldum, de Guzman or Blind in that position. Catastrophic.

PS. Does anyone actually know WHY Katsouranis is so hated by their own fans? (not exactly a greek football follower)

I heard because he is so good. Greek football fans doesn't appreciate anyone being good at anything. So, that's why.

nopes' date=' the petition guy is Katsouranis, the guy who scored is Papastathopulous

PS. Does anyone actually know WHY Katsouranis is so hated by their own fans? (not exactly a greek football follower)[/quote']

FORTALEZA, Brazil (AP) — Veteran Greece midfielder Costas Katsouranis is available to play for his country in Sunday's knockout round match against Costa Rica after sitting out a game because of a red card, but fans are hoping he stays on the bench.

A Facebook page unsubtly titled "No to Katsouranis against Costa Rica" has gone viral, picking up more than 90,000 likes, from football supporters who view the 35-year-old Benfica player as slow and bad-tempered.

Katsouranis played an important part in Greece's qualification run and has 113 appearances for the national team, including its stunning victory at the 2004 European Championships.

But in Brazil, Katsouranis' absence in the final group match against Ivory Coast forced lineup changes that saw Greece score its first goals of the tournament for a 2-1 win.

nopes' date=' the petition guy is Katsouranis, the guy who scored is Papastathopulous

PS. Does anyone actually know WHY Katsouranis is so hated by their own fans? (not exactly a greek football follower)[/quote']

It's hard to explain. Katsouranis was one of the best players we produced in recent years. The reason for this is that he has seen a dramatic decline in his performances in recent years. His DM position is crucial, and he has been especially slow in his pace, many mistakes etc. His dynamic character doesn't help, he always speaks his mind no matter what, and this combined with being poor makes a bad image for many people.

This petition was kind of a joke though. There was much criticism for the team and him, for the first game with Colombia, and when he got the red card with Japan, the team pulled the good performances with Japan and Ivory Coast, so everyone was saying "don't let him play don't let him play!", as a bit of joke and jinx, but in reality too the other players did the job better. Although today he came in as a substitute and was very good.

The problem for fans that see football not only in WC matches is Gkekas. He is a complete ***** player, and i'm not talking about the missed penalty. I'm completely furious about him. We were so unlucky with the Mitroglou injury half-season, and that he never recovered to the first half season excellent performances.. The coach made a mistake to call Gkekas for the WC, and as a result we had no real Striker...Not even a decent one. The coach did not call a couple of players who made a good season, and Gkekas played on all 4 matches. What a disaster.... This mistake cost so much to this team...

Costa Rica's performance is one of the worst i've seen in my life, and i'm so sad because we should have progressed with an opponent like that.. We should have been more organised on the extra time to score a goal on the 10 men... Also so unlucky with the chance of Mitroglou in 120'... I see over and over the saves Navas made in 36' and 120'...The shots were perfect, he just made it somehow to put his foot.... Unbelievable...

Proud of the team(except the disgraceful Gkekas-again not for the penalty) but really sad to be eliminated that way... It hurts :(

In your opinion.....;)

I think if you were picking a team of the tournament as of now the majority of people would pick Ochoa...and that is because he has been better :)

In fact I think there is a good chance he will be in the team of the tournament regardless of there elimination. Made much better saves than Navas has throughout this tournament' date=' some of his saves have been unbelievable, probably easily got the three best saves of the tournament in my view.

Not to undermine what How Navas has performed just Dont think he has been as good as Ochoa.[/quote']

That's just it Ray, in your view.

Ochoa made some very good saves I'm not doubting that, but a fair few of his saves were hit right at him. Im a huge Mexican fan so I wouldn't begrudge him doing it but I don't think it's as clear cut as you are making it.

Lest we forget Navas' saves have had an incredibly huge bearing on COSTA RICA to the QUARTER FINALS of the World Cup. His two saves last night with his leg (against Salpingidis & Mitroglou I believe) are both the saves of the tournament so far for me - unbelievable keeping.

Think Madrid bought a keeper from Getafe

Atletico haven't signed a keeper yet from what I know - Navas heavily linked after Bravo went to Real. Talk of an Handanovic/Icardi double swoop this morning.

Atletico haven't signed a keeper yet from what I know - Navas heavily linked after Bravo went to Real. Talk of an Handanovic/Icardi double swoop this morning.

They have Ash,Moya from Getafe. But he's likely to replace Aranzubia as no2 rather than being number 1

They have Ash' date='Moya from Getafe. But he's likely to replace Aranzubia as no2 rather than being number 1[/quote']

Ah I found the report now.

Don't hate that signing but I'm with you, think at the moment he will be a no.2 keeper.

Capello being paid approximately 6.5M to achieve absolutely nothing.

Livin' the good life.

EDIT: Very' date=' very surprised with Sabella and Wilmots' wages.[/quote']

Neither has much of a CV to speak of yet.

Good World Cup performances boost their records nicely though.

2009–2011 Estudiantes

2011– Argentina

That's Sabella.

Also, Argentina as a country is extremely broke. Doesn't reflect well on the national team to pay sums to a (relatively unestablished) manager that would cause citizens to protest loudly...

2003 Schalke 04

2004–2005 Sint-Truiden

2009–2012 Belgium (assistant)

2012– Belgium

Wilmots apparently plucked from obscurity (hint to the kids: don't take a 4 year break from work if you can, it reflects poorly on your resume) to become the assistant, and then promoted after 2 head coaches were gone to manager.

1987 Milan (caretaker)

1991–1996 Milan

1996–1997 Real Madrid

1997–1998 Milan

1999–2004 Roma

2004–2006 Juventus

2006–2007 Real Madrid

2007–2012 England

2012– Russia

Compare those to Capello's. Yikes.

1983–1984 Zug 94

1984–1988 Aarau

1988–1991 Grasshoppers

1991–1997 Borussia Dortmund

1998–2004 Bayern Munich

2007–2008 Bayern Munich

2008– Switzerland

Or even Hitzfeld's.

1994 FC Winterthur (youth)

1994–1995 FC Frauenfeld

1995–1996 VfB Stuttgart (assistant)

1996–1998 VfB Stuttgart

1998–1999 Fenerbahçe

1999–2000 Karlsruher SC

2001 Adanaspor

2001–2002 FC Tirol Innsbruck

2003–2004 FK Austria Wien

2004–2006 Germany (assistant)

2006– Germany

Proof that a long stay at a good national team does boost pay. Low's CV is not that impressive aside from the time starting from 2006, but he kept signing improved contracts as his stay was extended multiple times.

As a sidenote, interesting to look back at how his contract situation has developed since he took over in 2006:

After Klinsmann quit:

July 12, 2006: BBC - Klinsmann quits as Germany coach: Jurgen Klinsmann has stepped down as Germany coach after two years in charge and been replaced by assistant coach Joachim Loew. Gets a contract for 2 years.

After the second-place finish at the 2008 Euros:

4 year extension

As another sidenote, interesting to see the national team was welcomed back with a parade as heroes - "with girls crying 'Schweini, Schweini!!! <3' - despite losing the final. For some reason we have good reason to doubt the welcome would be as warm for a second-place finish this time,

Before 2010 World Cup, when contract talks hit a snag:

Feb 8, 2010: The Guardian - Germany start search for a new coach as Löw contract talks break down

After the third place finish at the 2010 World Cup:

Mar 11, 2011, The Guardian - Joachim Löw extends contract with Germany until 2014 World Cup: • Löw agrees two-year contract extension with DFB

• Previous deal ran until 2012 European Championships

In the meantime, Germany finishes at the semi-final stage at the 2012 Euros.

After qualification to the 2014 World Cup:

Oct 18, 2013: ESPN - Joachim Löw extends contract as Germany's coach until 2016: Loew, 53, put pen to paper on Friday after Germany booked their place at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil last week.

Ghana, Cameroon, Nigeria, Algeria, Ivory Coast

Interestingly we notice a trend where African teams don't pay a particularly high salary to anyone. Or for all we know, 618,000 pounds is a large sum to an African organization. But the overarching point here that applies to our lives is: go work in something prestigious if you want a lavish pay.

Not everyone does though so that's fine too.

Iran

Iran pays a surprisingly high salary to its manager, but perhaps that's the only way they could get an experienced manager like Queiroz. Doesn't help with the country's Misery Index problems though...

1989–1991 Portugal U20

1991–1993 Portugal

1994–1996 Sporting CP

1996 NY/NJ MetroStars

1996–1997 Nagoya Grampus Eight

1998–1999 United Arab Emirates

2000–2002 South Africa

2002–2003 Manchester United (assistant)

2003–2004 Real Madrid

2004–2008 Manchester United (assistant)

2008–2010 Portugal

2011–2014 Iran

Not a dazzling CV but not too shabby either

South Korea
You'd imagine South Korea could pay more to its manager, but then again, this is a guy who was raised through the system, coaching the U-20, and U-23 national teams before being promoted to manage the men's team. Furthermore, we'd expect South Korea's culture of shame to contribute to the lesser pay.

The aftermath of the South Korean ferry disaster

Vice-principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits suicide

Daughter of South Korea Ferry Crewman Kills Herself

South Korea vs. Japan

470,000 vs. 1,600,000

We'd expect the two organizations to have similar cultures and general pay structures for national team managers. So this is a fine estimate of the pay difference between an entry-level manager (South Korea's Hong Myung-Bo) and a resume like this (Japan's Zaccheroni)

1983–1985 Cesenatico

1985–1987 Riccione

1987–1988 Boca San Lazzaro

1988–1990 Baracca Lugo

1990–1993 Venezia

1993–1994 Bologna

1994–1995 Cosenza

1995–1998 Udinese

1998–2001 Milan

2001–2002 Lazio

2003–2004 Internazionale

2006–2007 Torino

2010 Juventus

2010–2014 Japan

It was the turning point of the Netherlands' dramatic comeback over Mexico in the Round of 16 at the FIFA World Cup in Brazil.

In stoppage time, Arjen Robben appeared to be clipped be Mexico's Rafael Marquez. Next thing, Robben's arms were thrown back and his facial expression seemed to indicate he'd been maimed.

According to Mexican coach Miguel Herrera, it was the third time Robben had taken flight during the contest.

The Dutchman is now apologizing for at least one of the first-half incidents.

“The one at the end was a clear penalty," Robben told Dutch Television, "but I have to admit there was an incident in the first half where I did dive. I must apologize. I should not be doing that.”

Meanwhile, Herrera thinks Robben should have been handed two yellow cards and thus kicked out of the match before the final incident even took place.

“If the referee is fair, their second goal would not exist and Robben would be ejected,” Herrera said. “When a ref makes up a call like that,” Herrera said. “We’re going to go home. I hope the ref committee sees and he goes home like us.”

Herrera, who has become an internet sensation for his boisterous goal celebrations, was fuming after the match. He was caught on camera berating Dutch striker Robin van Persie in a handshake line.

a75Qo4w_460s_v1.jpg

It was the turning point of the Netherlands' dramatic comeback over Mexico in the Round of 16 at the FIFA World Cup in Brazil.

In stoppage time' date=' Arjen Robben appeared to be clipped be Mexico's Rafael Marquez. Next thing, Robben's arms were thrown back and his facial expression seemed to indicate he'd been maimed.

According to Mexican coach Miguel Herrera, it was the third time Robben had taken flight during the contest.

The Dutchman is now apologizing for at least one of the first-half incidents.

“The one at the end was a clear penalty," Robben told Dutch Television, "but I have to admit there was an incident in the first half where I did dive. I must apologize. I should not be doing that.”

Meanwhile, Herrera thinks Robben should have been handed two yellow cards and thus kicked out of the match before the final incident even took place.

“If the referee is fair, their second goal would not exist and Robben would be ejected,” Herrera said. “When a ref makes up a call like that,” Herrera said. “We’re going to go home. I hope the ref committee sees and he goes home like us.”

Herrera, who has become an internet sensation for his boisterous goal celebrations, was fuming after the match. He was caught on camera berating Dutch striker Robin van Persie in a handshake line.

[img']http://d3dsacqprgcsqh.cloudfront.net/photo/a75Qo4w_460s_v1.jpg[/img]

Yes mate the majority of people both in the media and people you speak to in general who are a neutral saw it as the dive it was, people who were cheering the Dutch saw it as a penalty (unsurprisingly we can all suffer from this blinkered view when it comes to our own sides)

Whisper it round here though....;)

Shame Robben can't be punished retrospectively for effectively admitting to cheating throughout the match, but those be the rules. I don't actually blame him for Diving it is a part of the game now no matter how much people may or may not condone it.

Looks like a not one in Brazillia those "tactical time outs" may well be in use again :)

Looking forward to this game. Nigeria have some decent attacking players of there own, notably Odemwingie :P, and with Kos at the back for France i think they could cause some problems.

Still expect France to win but hopefully there will be a fair few goals in the game.

Looking forward to this game. Nigeria have some decent attacking players of there own' date=' notably Odemwingie :P, and with Kos at the back for France i think they could cause some problems.

Still expect France to win but hopefully there will be a fair few goals in the game.[/quote']

Musa is their their best player ;)

Archived