Official FA Cup Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: FA Cup Today's FA Cup 1st Round Results and Scorers Accrington Stanley 2 - 3 Huddersfield Town A = Peter Cavanagh and Paul Mullin H = Malvin Kamara x2 and Luke Beckett Altrincham 1 - 2 Millwa

Might as well start a thread on it now it's started FA Cup 1st Round draw: Darlington v Northampton Town Hampton & Richmond v Dagenham & Redbridge Torquay v Yeovil Leyton Orient v Bristo

Re: Official FA Cup Thread Villa fans going absolutely bonkers...

Re: FA Cup

It was a penalty' date=' however tugs like that happen at every single corner, every single free-kick, all the bleeding time, and they are never given.

If it hadn't been the for the mess up seconds earlier where he thought the lino flagged for a penalty then I doubt he would have given the penalty.

Tbh I'm gutted. A draw is the worst possible result, just more frickin' fixture congestion.[/quote']

I disagree with some of that post.

Firstly, a little hold of the shirt from a corner is going to have much less impact when a player is static at a corner than when they're running full speed with the ball at their feet. Referee's often miss the little tugs from corners because there is so much going on it's impossible for us to see everything. Also if the ball isn't yet in play the referee can't give a foul. Saying that I have seen many occasions throughout my lifetime when penalties have been given for shirt tugging. In fact I've given them my self. They're not by any means common, and referees will try to be proactive, but they do happen. Anyway this situation was different so I don't want to go off topic.

I can't think of any referee who wouldn't haven't given that penalty if they saw it.

Also regarding the mix up a couple of minutes earlier, it was a case of Dowd seeing a foul and pointing for a penalty and then receiving a buzz from his assistant who had the flag up for offside. So the Lino saved you. Arguably, the right decision in the end (I think the ball was played before the foul committed - I'll have to see the replay again later). So well done to Dowd and his assistant for getting that right in the end - even if it was messy. Dowd's refereeing style is very unique and it works. There's no way that call would have affected his decision a few minutes later.

I can understand you frustration - and the referee is the easiest person to blame - but honestly I thought all the officials did well today.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/4350/6/walcott-i-dived-attempt-win-penalty

Walcott reckons he dived. What a tool!

Not to sure about the rules but can the referee do what he did i.e play on until Walcott gets the shot in and pull it back when he did not score. The referee plays advantage but Arsenal were unable to make use of it?

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/4350/6/walcott-i-dived-attempt-win-penalty

Not to sure about the rules but can the referee do what he did i.e play on until Walcott gets the shot in and pull it back when he did not score. The referee plays advantage but Arsenal were unable to make use of it?

I'm sure there's a precedent of players being retrospectively punished for diving... I just can't think of it :o

Ho hum. More annoyed with some of our fans today. The love in for Bednar is reaching Paul Robinson levels of the undeserved and the barracking of Carson via Myhill was regrettable. Olsson is a shambles as well, last thing we needed was another suspension at centre half. Means we get to see more of Gianni Zuiverloon. :o

Did UEFA not charge Eduardo retrospectively for diving then bottle it when it came to actually handing out a punishment?

Ho hum. More annoyed with some of our fans today. The love in for Bednar is reaching Paul Robinson levels of the undeserved and the barracking of Carson via Myhill was regrettable. Olsson is a shambles as well' date=' last thing we needed was another suspension at centre half. Means we get to see more of Gianni Zuiverloon. :o

Did UEFA not charge Eduardo retrospectively for diving then bottle it when it came to actually handing out a punishment?[/quote']

In the fans defence, Bednar is absolutely shocking :o

I never want to hear fans booing their own players but when Bednar was here, his touch was poor, he couldn't shoot, couldn't hold the ball up, didn't win headers and most importantly didn't put in much effort. Sol glad he's back with you.

And yes they did :o

In the fans defence' date=' Bednar is absolutely shocking :o

I never want to hear fans booing their own players but when Bednar was here, his touch was poor, he couldn't shoot, couldn't hold the ball up, didn't win headers and most importantly didn't put in much effort. Sol glad he's back with you.

And yes they did :o[/quote']

Crossed wires. I'm being a grinch more than admonishing booing. A section of our support appear to worship him and he was again given a hero's welcome when brought on today. Nothing wrong with that as such but it's baffling that somebody who continuously moans when he's out the team and let the whole club down a couple of seasons ago with his drug related ban is afforded this luxury despite lacklustre performances when pros like Scott Carson and to a lesser extent Jonas Olsson get abused by a small section of fans.

I'd heard he got booed at Leicester actually and can't say I'm all that surprised. When off form he's a very, very limited player.

I thought Walcott stayed on his feet...

Not that that is important as a foul had occurred nevertheless.

I agree with your final paragraph. The referee should have blown straight away.

The laws of the game state:

Advantage

The referee may play advantage whenever an infringement or offence

occurs.

The referee should consider the following circumstances in deciding

whether to apply the advantage or stop play:

• the severity of the offence: if the infringement warrants an expulsion' date='

the referee must stop play and send off the player unless there is a

subsequent opportunity to score a goal

• the position where the offence was committed: the closer to the

opponent’s goal, the more effective it can be

• the chances of an immediate, dangerous attack on the opponents’

goal

• the atmosphere of the match

[b']The decision to penalise the original offence must be taken within a

few seconds.[/b]

So in theory as Dowd didn't signal for advantage, no advantage was gained and he penalised the original offence within a few seconds. But regardless penalty was right decision in the end imho, although he should've blown instantly to avoid confusion.

Fair play, Stevenage the better team. :mad:

Terrible choice in starting Barton and Perch on the left. Other than that, its a pretty strong lineup from us.

I hate playing lower league teams though. So un-predictable.

Edit: Jesus!! 2-0! Williamson comes back in and the defence looks like a Sunday league defence again.. :(

The absolute worst refereeing decision I have ever seen. Tiote sent off for commiting to a tackle and winning the ball. His foot started high but he didn't set out to hurt the opposing player, ending up with his foot being lower than the bloke he tackled! What a joke!

Game over. If our own pathetic display wasn't bad enough!

Was it BALLLLSSSSSS a penalty. Seen them given outside the box all the time but if you give that you end up giving 6 penalties a game. Bet old Arsene isn't moaning about the refs today is he, pig.

Great day out though, shame.

Also shout out to York, who took more fans away to Bolton then Bolton had there. Deserved a draw from what i heard too.

Now I need to go to bed I think :)

A 2-0 victory over Blackpool 'b' team , still we progress to the 4th round looking for either a smaller side who we can beat or a top four side say ... Manchester United at home ;) btw we played a centre back paring of Seabourne and Martin (3rd and 4th choice cb's) and our second choice keeper, we wernt full strength either.

The absolute worst refereeing decision I have ever seen. Tiote sent off for commiting to a tackle and winning the ball. His foot started high but he didn't set out to hurt the opposing player' date=' ending up with his foot being lower than the bloke he tackled! What a joke!

Game over. If our own pathetic display wasn't bad enough![/quote']

The pundits on the radio were calling it an absolutely shocking tackle, so I'll be interested to see it later on this evening. Also intrigued by this Arsenal penalty...

Great win for Wednesday today, 3-0 away to Bristol City. First time we've made it through to the Fourth Round in ten years! :eek:

Boring game, but we won 4-0. The young full-backs, Jazz Richards & Danny Alfei played fantastic. Sinclair played well in the second half, Moore done well on his debut - looks a good player and didn't look lazy at anytime during the game, Gower & Allen played well and the defence was solid and although VDG was awful we dominated.

Our passing wasn't direct enough and we weren't creating chances, but four half decent moves all ended up as goal, looking forward to tommorow's game, with Daglish in charge it's going to be a much better game then if it was Hodgson.

The pundits on the radio were calling it an absolutely shocking tackle' date=' so I'll be interested to see it later on this evening. Also intrigued by this Arsenal penalty...

Great win for Wednesday today, 3-0 away to Bristol City. First time we've made it through to the Fourth Round in ten years! :eek:[/quote']

That's what I heard too, even though he got the ball it was a two-footed lunge, haven't seen it yet so can't give my own opinion...

See Morrison played today, thought he scored but then realised :o

how did he do?

That's what I heard too' date=' even though he got the ball it was a two-footed lunge, haven't seen it yet so can't give my own opinion...

See Morrison played today, thought he scored but then realised :o

how did he do?[/quote']

No idea mate, was driving home from London when the game was on. I hear he had a very good game though, him and Reda Johnson plunged straight in and help achieve a clean sheet against a Championship attack - can't have been too bad!

No idea mate' date=' was driving home from London when the game was on. I hear he had a very good game though, him and Reda Johnson plunged straight in and help achieve a clean sheet against a Championship attack - can't have been too bad![/quote']

Expect loads more clean sheets, he would've started for us tomorrow against Man City if he had of stayed :o

3-1 win over Pompey Skates today. What a cracking result, although there are only 7 places between us position wise, they're still a Championship side, playing with some quality players (Nugent, Lawrence, Kitson) all players i'd expect to see line up for them in the Champ. And to be honest we went out there and made them look like a low League One side, they dominated early but once we got our game on I don't think there was any way back for them. Chris Wood scored a beauty of a volley around 20 minutes in then on the stroke of half-time Sonko handled stupidly in the box to give us a 2-0 lead with Ashley Barnes converting the spot-kick, even Poyet couldn't even watch the peno, so hid behind the dugout with his eyes covered, the man is a genius!

2nd half late on we seemed to run out of steam and nearly slip when Kilbey scored from a sloppy corner for them, but as the game drew to a close Fran Sandaza converted a parried shot, celebrating by removing his shirt and holding it up to the fans, strange but funny.

I do really feel sorry for Portsmouth fans, being put through that utter drivel every week must be horrible for them! Their fans vocally were good and even when the brown stuff hit the big whirly thing they still went on. Slightly dissapointing home atmosphere, however the small rivlary between clubs managed to keep tempers at a high level throughout the game.

Overall, could not have been happier with the way we performed, no stand out performance from any player but a complete team effort, all chipping in everywhere, and the future looks bright for us if we keep going like this. SEAAGULLLLSSS!!!!!!!!

Boring game' date=' but we won 4-0. The young full-backs, Jazz Richards & Danny Alfei played fantastic. Sinclair played well in the second half, Moore done well on his debut - looks a good player and didn't look lazy at anytime during the game, Gower & Allen played well and the defence was solid and although VDG was awful we dominated.

Our passing wasn't direct enough and we weren't creating chances, but four half decent moves all ended up as goal, looking forward to tommorow's game, with Daglish in charge it's going to be a much better game then if it was Hodgson.[/quote']

Is the game on ITV tomorrow or have SKY pinched it?