Official FA Cup Thread

GeorgeECFC

Re: FA Cup

Anyone else think that Martinez sounds like a man who wont be there next year?
I'd agree, but don't forget we're looking at it from a completely biased perspective. We're looking for telltale signs that he is or isn't interested, due to the obvious furor around his future. One wouldn't bat an eyelid usually.
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd agree' date=' but don't forget we're looking at it from a completely biased perspective. We're looking for telltale signs that he is or isn't interested, due to the obvious furor around his future. One wouldn't bat an eyelid usually.[/quote']

The fact that he said that it doesn't matter who the manager will be next year was got my thinking it.

Anyone else think that Martinez sounds like a man who wont be there next year?

Is he your first choice for Everton?

Perversely I think he would be more happy to leave if he can keep Wigan up. If they get relegated I think he might feel obligated to try to get them bak up.

Is he your first choice for Everton?

Perversely I think he would be more happy to leave if he can keep Wigan up. If they get relegated I think he might feel obligated to try to get them bak up.

No my personal first choice would be Laudrup but I doubt we would be able to get him. Wouldn't mind that Porto manager either.

Roberto Mancini, Manchester City manager, on 5 live Sport: "I'm disappointed. We conceded a goal in the last seconds in a game where we didn't play very well, but we didn't deserve to lose. But that's football.

"We started slowly but we had two incredible chances in the first half but didn't score. In the end Wigan won and I am happy for Wigan, Martinez and his chairman. Martinez is a good man and a good manager. If we couldn't win I'm happy he won this cup.

"We didn't do our work very well today, [but] the rumours [about my future] are all rubbish."

Maybe famous last words..

Not sure if Martinez would be a good fit at Everton-might be better at Malaga if the rumours are true

Wigaannnn!!!!!

YES, YES, YES!!

Proving to the whole world, that oil money doesnt buy success!! (Although Chelsea could beg to differ on wednesday haha)

Wigan are a bigger football club than Man City, in terms of support, drive and how they have made their way to the top.

They didnt require an oligarch waving his oil wand about, getting left, right, centre player silly.

Wigan on the other hand, have one of, if not thee best British football owner that ever lived and his dream finally came true after 53 long years!!

James McCarthy man of the match without a doubt. He had Yaya like a yo-yo in his pocket all game up and down the pitch.

Yaya was even out-muscled by a young McCarthy in the 2nd half, which should have been a free kick.

James McCarthy has been nurtured so well at Wigan Athletics great academy, that he is a natural leader, born to captain Ireland to the World Cup knockout stages in the future.

He's just that sort of player with drive and determination, and had so much more enthusiasm in tonights final!!!

City players were lack lustre, boring, too much sidewards passing and non interested!!

And more over, they were playing yet again as individuals and not as a team.

I dont understand why pundits keep referring them to the champions league exit, as Ajax have a better academy then City by a country mile, let alone Borussia and Real!!

Man City will always be considered a small club until they invest hard cash into a strong youth academy bringing through, big tough English youngsters!

If City remain to buy buy buy, as well as sack managers left right centre silly, then they will forever remain a shadow of Manchester Utd!!

City must now go on, stick with Mancini, the Dubai oligarchs shouldnt give into media pressure, just like Man Utd's directors in 1990, and stick with their manager, to pull them through!!

In conclusion, Wigan Athletic are an underdog club, created by Whelan to win cups and league championships.

Hopefully because tonight, this was an audition by Wigan to any wealthy decent investor, that they are a club worth investing into and winning championship league titles. (alongside Liverpool in the future!!:D)

First and foremost, onwards and upwards to defeat the Arsenal 0-2 and beat Aston Villa 3-1 next weekend and that should seal the deal.;)

Wigaannnn!!!!!

YES' date=' YES, YES!!

Proving to the whole world, that oil money doesnt buy success!! (Although Chelsea could beg to differ on wednesday haha)

Wigan are a bigger football club than Man City, in terms of support, drive and how they have made their way to the top.

They didnt require an oligarch waving his oil wand about, getting left, right, centre player silly.

[b']Wigan are not are bigger club than City, they couldn't even sell out their allocation to the clubs biggest ever game.[/b]

Wigan on the other hand, have one of, if not thee best British football owner that ever lived and his dream finally came true after 53 long years!!

James McCarthy man of the match without a doubt. He had Yaya like a yo-yo in his pocket all game up and down the pitch.

Yaya was even out-muscled by a young McCarthy in the 2nd half, which should have been a free kick.

James McCarthy has been nurtured so well at Wigan Athletics great academy, that he is a natural leader, born to captain Ireland to the World Cup knockout stages in the future.

Ahh the great Wigan Athletic academy that has produced many players before such as erm...

He's just that sort of player with drive and determination, and had so much more enthusiasm in tonights final!!!

City players were lack lustre, boring, too much sidewards passing and non interested!!

And more over, they were playing yet again as individuals and not as a team.

I dont understand why pundits keep referring them to the champions league exit, as Ajax have a better academy then City by a country mile, let alone Borussia and Real!!

Man City will always be considered a small club until they invest hard cash into a strong youth academy bringing through, big tough English youngsters!

If City remain to buy buy buy, as well as sack managers left right centre silly, then they will forever remain a shadow of Manchester Utd!!

They don't sack managers left right and centre you idiot. They will always be in the shadow of United for at least another 20 years.

City must now go on, stick with Mancini, the Dubai oligarchs shouldnt give into media pressure, just like Man Utd's directors in 1990, and stick with their manager, to pull them through!!

In conclusion, Wigan Athletic are an underdog club, created by Whelan to win cups and league championships.

Hopefully because tonight, this was an audition by Wigan to any wealthy decent investor, that they are a club worth investing into and winning championship league titles. (alongside Liverpool in the future!!:D)

Hahaha you go on about City being a small club due to them buying success yet you want someone to invest in Wigan. Oh and Wigan will never qualify for the Champions League or even win the Premier League as they are just a small team in Greater Manchester.

First and foremost, onwards and upwards to defeat the Arsenal 0-2 and beat Aston Villa 3-1 next weekend and that should seal the deal.;)

You are such an idiot.

Interesting the debate about Mancini -if some people had their way Hughes would still be in charge.

One thing about the City investors they have invested in the academy and community-so while their funds allow for the team to compete short term in the long to medium term they should be able to draw upon it to produce players or at least sell on.

You are such an idiot.

Difference being, Wigan tonight proved that they actually deserve investment and cash being installed within the club!!

Man City barely came out of the championship after so many years in the lower league's, where as Wigan has sustained Premiership authority for a solid 8/9 years now, and will go onto 10 years after they get 4/6 points from Arsenal and Villa!!

Wigan were considered in 2003-2006 bigger than Man City with a bigger future ahead, the only reason history changed courses, is that Mubarak came along and saved Man City from championship mediocrity!!!

In my eyes, Wigan have brought through Mcmanaman, McCarthy, Joel, Valencia, Palacios, Di Santo etc to name a few i.e. non big names who were younger and brought up to become great talents and house hold names.

City just buy the next big name available. They havent actually dazzled anyone up from being a nobody into a somebody on the world football stage.

Thats the major difference!!

Difference being' date=' Wigan tonight proved that they actually deserve investment and cash being installed within the club!!

Man City barely came out of the championship after so many years in the lower league's, where as Wigan has sustained Premiership authority for a solid 8/9 years now, and will go onto 10 years after they get 4/6 points from Arsenal and Villa!!

Wigan were considered in 2003-2006 bigger than Man City with a bigger future ahead, the only reason history changed courses, is that Mubarak came along and saved Man City from championship mediocrity!!!

In my eyes, Wigan have brought through Mcmanaman, McCarthy, Joel, Valencia, Palacios, Di Santo etc to name a few i.e. non big names who were younger and brought up to become great talents and house hold names.

City just buy the next big name available. They havent actually dazzled anyone up from being a nobody into a somebody on the world football stage.

Thats the major difference!![/quote']

Palacios and Joel and McManaman ? What've you been puffing ?

Difference being' date=' Wigan tonight proved that they actually deserve investment and cash being installed within the club!!

[b']

In my eyes, Wigan have brought through Mcmanaman, McCarthy, Joel, Valencia, Palacios, Di Santo etc to name a few i.e. non big names who were younger and brought up to become great talents and house hold names[/b].

Thats the major difference!!

McManaman = Everton

McCarthy = Hamilton

Joel (Only been there since January) = Atletico

Valencia = El Nacional

Palacios = Olimpia

Di Santo = Audax Italiano and Chelsea

Once again, you are such an idiot. Wigan never will and never have been a bigger club than City.

McManaman = Everton

McCarthy = Hamilton

Joel (Only been there since January) = Atletico

Valencia = El Nacional

Palacios = Olimpia

Di Santo = Audax Italiano and Chelsea

Once again' date=' you are such an idiot. Wigan never will and never have been a bigger club than City.[/quote']

It doesn't matter where they started from!!!

It matters, who gave them the chances, the limelight and the intelligence of good training to develop them into what they are today!

Wigan Athletic is a club renowned for turning mediocre players into flare players who against all odds, come up with something magic every now and again.

When i watch football and mostly certainly hundreds of thousands of others, i look to see if Wigan is playing before Man City, because i'd rather watch a Wigan match over a boring City game any day of the week!!

Thats what the ethos is at Wigan, to produce flare, spirit and enthusiasm from unknown, unheard of players!!

Did you see Jamesy McCarthy tonight??? He was running like his life was on the line, and tbf, his career was make or break tonight and showed the world, he and Gundogan are the hottest CM properties on the planet right now!!

The best 2 22 year old CM's on the planet today.

It's just a shame McCarthy is being linked with Man Utd instead of Liverpool!!

Liverpool could do replacing Allen with McCarthy in my book. He just takes a match to another level driving forward with the ball!B)

It matters' date=' who gave them the chances, the limelight and the intelligence of good training to develop them into what they are today!

Wigan Athletic is a club renowned for turning mediocre players into flare players who against all odds, come up with something magic every now and again.

When i watch football and mostly certainly hundreds of thousands of others, i look to see if Wigan is playing before Man City, because i'd rather watch a Wigan match over a boring City game any day of the week!!

Thats what the ethos is at Wigan, to produce flare, spirit and enthusiasm from unknown, unheard of players!!

Did you see Jamesy McCarthy tonight??? He was running like his life was on the line, and tbf, his career was make or break tonight and showed the world, he and Gundogan are the hottest CM properties on the planet right now!!

Liverpool could do replacing Allen with McCarthy in my book. He just takes a match to another level driving forward with the ball!B)[/quote']

You know so much that you even managed to forget their actually youth product in Leighton Baines. Your knowledge is seriously unmatched.

It matters' date=' who gave them the chances, the limelight and the intelligence of good training to develop them into what they are today!

Liverpool could do replacing Allen with McCarthy in my book. He just takes a match to another level driving forward with the ball!B)[/quote']

Dude, you said youth academy, wich kinda means where they started. Those that gave them the chance is just their club ...

Congratulations to Wigan and Roberto Martinez, it means that we have to come in to the Europe League at the 3rd qualifying round rather than the play off round but there is some positives to that.

As much as I dislike Martinez as a person, he is a fabulous manager and his achievements as a manager are superb. I genuinely believe that he could be the manager of a European giant like Barcelona or Real Madrid one day, but I think the best thing for his career now would be to stay with Wigan - where he's got the support of the fans and the chairman and even if they go down they'll be on good footing to go back up. I think the time will be right to leave Wigan when Dave Whelan leaves the club, which is inevitable in the next ten years or so and then try and progress his career. For a manager he is still very young and with his passion for management I think he'll go on to manage for a very long time.

I do think Wigan will stay up as well, regardless of what happens Tuesday I can see them beating Villa on the final day and one of the three teams above them losing their two final games with the form they're in. Ideally Norwich, but I think Newcastle are the most likely to go down.

If they do stay up, and Martinez stays I think they can really push on next season with European football, and I'm a bit concerned they'll be in competition with the same players as we're in for. I do think we'll probably be able to beat them to a signing if it came down to it though, with us finishing so much higher in the league and the influence that the likes of Michael Laudrup has. Michu's pretty much nailed on for a Spanish debut when Spain play a couple of minor nations at the end of May/start of June when the La Liga season is still going on which shows what players can achieve when they join us.

EDIT: As for Der Commander, it's probably best off ignoring him. I'm pretty sure he knows the flaws of his argument but just wants a reaction, we're all aware that those players didn't come through the Wigan academy and that City are a bigger club than Wigan but if you ignore him he'll probably just get bored.

Congratulations to Wigan!c Love to see the underdog win and I leapt out of my chair when Watson headed that goal in.

One thing I would like to bring up is the lack of English players in Premier League teams. Everyone automatically assumes that with Man City's millions that they will buy the best from all over the world, but in fact City had more Englishman in the Final starting XI than Wigan (2 to 1) Callum McManaman was Wigan's sole English FA Cup winner, with 9 unique nationalities in the starting XI. I wonder if that many has been seen before.

Had Al Habsi started and Beausejour been fit, there could have been 11 different nationalites in the starting XI.

Ok mate...

Congratulations to Wigan!c Love to see the underdog win and I leapt out of my chair when Watson headed that goal in.

One thing I would like to bring up is the lack of English players in Premier League teams. Everyone automatically assumes that with Man City's millions that they will buy the best from all over the world' date=' but in fact City had more Englishman in the Final starting XI than Wigan (2 to 1) Callum McManaman was Wigan's sole English FA Cup winner, with 9 unique nationalities in the starting XI. I wonder if that many has been seen before.

Had Al Habsi started and Beausejour been fit, there could have been 11 different nationalites in the starting XI.[/quote']

Some good points there. I Wasnt aware of the nationalities in the Wigan side, but because McManaman and McCarthy being from England and Ireland, slightly overshadowed that, being the best 2 players for Wigan on the night.

You know so much that you even managed to forget their actually youth product in Leighton Baines. Your knowledge is seriously unmatched.

Am I the only person who nearly choked when I heard Gundogan and McCarthy being the hottest CM's? Gundogan is quality but I can think of many better in the PL alone than McCarthy. Also being a Chelsea fan I didn't like the comment about Di Santo being a Wigan youth/academy player considering he wasn't even a Chelsea youth/academy player!

I admire your spirit mate but I can't help but think you're wearing rose tinted glasses regarding Wigan's quality. Don't forget they have been teetering on the edge of relegation for the last few seasons. I agree there is a true gem in McManaman and McCarthy looks good, they shouldn't be classed in the same category as a Borussia Dortmund shining star.

Am I the only person who nearly choked when I heard Gundogan and McCarthy being the hottest CM's? Gundogan is quality but I can think of many better in the PL alone than McCarthy. Also being a Chelsea fan I didn't like the comment about Di Santo being a Wigan youth/academy player considering he wasn't even a Chelsea youth/academy player!

I admire your spirit mate but I can't help but think you're wearing rose tinted glasses regarding Wigan's quality. Don't forget they have been teetering on the edge of relegation for the last few seasons. I agree there is a true gem in McManaman and McCarthy looks good' date=' they shouldn't be classed in the same category as a Borussia Dortmund shining star.[/quote']

Fair points, but who would you consider a better U22 CM in the Barclays Prem then McCarthy, considering James has single handedly drove the Wigan midfield to success in the past 2-3 years now.

Coutinho maybe, Barkley possibly, Ramsey comes close, but other than that, McCarthy is thee stand out CM, and on your point of BVB, i believe McCarthy would actually get in that side!B)

Fair points' date=' but who would you consider a better U22 CM in the Barclays Prem then McCarthy, considering James has single handedly drove the Wigan midfield to success in the past 2-3 years now.

Coutinho maybe, Barkley possibly, Ramsey comes close, but other than that, McCarthy is thee stand out CM, and on your point of BVB, i believe McCarthy would actually get in that side!B)[/quote']

I don't. Kehl, Bender, Gundogan, Leitner, Bittencourt and Sahin let alone Grosskreutz who plays bloody anywhere. All quality.

Also under 22's:

Arsenal: Ramsey, Wilshere

Everton: Barkley

Man City: Rodwell

Man Utd: Cleverley

They're just the homegrown players.

Well what a day and a day that will do wonders to restore some of the lusture and love for the FA Cup.

I am not going to talk about City who were dismal but lets give Wigan enormous credit. Martinez set his team up well but I thought the players played above themselves. This was no fluke victory for the underdog they controlled the game for most parts and they were clever in there use of the ball and in retaining possession on a big energy sapping pitch and with the likes of Maloney and Mcmanaman they had an injection of pace at times to really threaten the back line.

This is a side and a club who on this forum get enormous stick and IMO for no real valid reason. Wigan have added so much to the League in recent years with there tiny budget and lack of resources to do what they have done and play football the right way is a complete credit.

So what if they are not the best supported side in the world, they have got over 28,000 fans there today and just because they aint a so called recognised big club or football aint the first sport in the town does not undermine there success or make them any less deserving.

This is a side who not long ago was in the bottom division and there rise to the top mixing it with the big boys and now culminating in the FA Cup success is absolutely fairytale stuff and anybody who loves football should love a story like this. It really helps to restore the magic and reminds us what we live for as football fans. Those who support the bigger clubs probably cant understand but to be where Wigan were to what they have done today a team who cost 11 million against a side of multi-millionaire footballers is extrodinary.

Good on you Wigan, thoroughally deserved and deserving winners of the trophy. There fans deserve this success and merit it just as much as every other club.

Fantastic day congratulations to all involved with the club, now lets hope they pull off another impossible dream and stay up. :)

Archived