Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeECFC

Official FA Cup Thread

Re: FA Cup

I don't. Kehl' date=' Bender, Gundogan, Leitner, Bittencourt and Sahin let alone Grosskreutz who plays bloody anywhere. All quality.

Also under 22's:

Arsenal: Ramsey, Wilshere

Everton: Barkley

Man City: Rodwell

Man Utd: Cleverley

They're just the homegrown players.[/quote']

James McCarthy is better than Wilshere, Rodwell and Cleverley.

McCarthy had Rodwell in his pocket tonight. Not to mention Rodders and Wilsh are next to always injured, to injury prone, and Cleverley is too much of a sidewards passer.

Only Barkley is on McCarthy's level out of all those homegrown players! Both have the potential to be box-box total packages!!:)

To be fair to commander, the point still stands that Wigan buy up obscure players (Figueroa, Palacious, Mccarthy McArthur), rejects (Mcmanaman, Di Santo, Nzogbia), inexperiecned youngsters (Moses, Joel, Diame) and journeymen (Boyce, Watson, Scharner, even Kone) and knit that together into a team capabale of staying up with style and winning an FA cup. Whilst these players haven't come through the youth system, they nonetheless owe much of their success to Wigan and many of them have saved / started their careers there. Furthermore they've done this for peanuts, especially in the last few years.

To be fair to commander' date=' the point still stands that Wigan buy up obscure players (Figueroa, Palacious, Mccarthy McArthur), rejects (Mcmanaman, Di Santo, Nzogbia), inexperiecned youngsters (Moses, Joel, Diame) and journeymen (Boyce, Watson, Scharner, even Kone) and knit that together into a team capabale of staying up with style and winning an FA cup. Whilst these players haven't come through the youth system, they nonetheless owe much of their success to Wigan and many of them have saved / started their careers there. Furthermore they've done this for peanuts, especially in the last few years.[/quote']

His point doesn't stand he said they had a good academy, none of them players came through their academy.

Well what a day and a day that will do wonders to restore some of the lusture and love for the FA Cup.

)

Really???

Almost forgot it was on yesterday.......

Remembers when the FA cup build up used to start on TV around 10or11 when it was the final game of the season...

now it's just meh

It started at 8am on ESPN.

That's hardly in line with Terrestrial television or a day out be it to the pub to watch the match when it was the last match of the season. Now you get football on the same day never mind weekend

Really???

Almost forgot it was on yesterday.......

Remembers when the FA cup build up used to start on TV around 10or11 when it was the final game of the season...

now it's just meh

Has it been that long since Newcastle have been involved in one of these "occasions" that you have forgotten? :)

Was a great day and. Wonderful story, a victory for the underdog that is what the FA Cup is all about and a real feel good story for football and an inspiration to any smaller sides with aspirations.

I personally love FA Cup final day, people devalue it but for me it is still one of the most special days on the calendar.

Has it been that long since Newcastle have been involved in one of these "occasions" that you have forgotten? :)

Was a great day and. Wonderful story' date=' a victory for the underdog that is what the FA Cup is all about and a real feel good story for football and an inspiration to any smaller sides with aspirations.

I personally love FA Cup final day, people devalue it but for me it is still one of the most special days on the calendar.[/quote']

no....

I still remember the butthurt from 98 and 99 like it was yesterday :D

Just would love to see it back as the Final game of the season.

no....

I still remember the but hurt from 98 and 98 like it was yesterday :D

Just would love to see it back as the Final game of the season.

Totally agree with the bottom comment and I think this year is a perfect example of the reason why.

St Albans 1-2 Mansfield.

They score twice in two minutes to peg us back. We've been all over them. Don't deserve to be losing. Second goal looked offside from where I was but guess I'll see if it was on the highlights show later.

Great day for my home City though. Biggest crowd I've ever seen here.

St Albans 1-2 Mansfield.

They score twice in two minutes to peg us back. We've been all over them. Don't deserve to be losing. Second goal looked offside from where I was but guess I'll see if it was on the highlights show later.

Great day for my home City though. Biggest crowd I've ever seen here.

Ended 8-1 :o

The difference was fitness in the end. That was told by the fact that Mansfield scored six goals in the last 20 minutes of the game. We had a goal ruled out after the ball went out of play at 2-1, then came close again at 3-1. After that we really ran out of breath as a team.

I'm proud though, we gave a good account of ourselves for a team in the eighth tier of English football.

FACupDraw.jpg?bc=Black&as=1&db=web&thn=0

The full draw for the 3rd Round of the FA Cup is as follows:

Bournemouth v Fleetwood or Burton

Derby v Chelsea

Ipswich v Preston

Grimsby v Huddersfield

Birmingham v Bristol Rovers or Crawley

Arsenal v Tottenham

Brighton v Reading

Everton v QPR

Blackburn v Manchester City

Bolton v Blackpool

Sunderland v Carlisle

Macclesfield v Sheffield Wednesday

Aston Villa v Sheffield United

Norwich v Fulham

Port Vale v Plymouth

Manchester United v Swansea

Charlton v Wrexham or Oxford

Wigan v MK Dons

Rochdale v Leeds

Newcastle v Cardiff

Southampton v Burnley

Stoke v Leicester

Doncaster v Stevenage

Kidderminster v Peterborough

West Brom v Crystal Palace

Middlesbrough v Hull

Southend v Millwall

Bristol City v Watford

Nottingham Forest v West Ham

Liverpool v Oldham or Mansfield

Yeovil v Leyton Orient

Barnsley v Hartlepool or Coventry

Bold indicates EPL clubs.

FACupDraw.jpg?bc=Black&as=1&db=web&thn=0

The full draw for the 3rd Round of the FA Cup is as follows:

Bournemouth v Fleetwood or Burton

Derby v Chelsea

Ipswich v Preston

Grimsby v Huddersfield

Birmingham v Bristol Rovers or Crawley

Arsenal v Tottenham

Brighton v Reading

Everton v QPR

Blackburn v Manchester City

Bolton v Blackpool

Sunderland v Carlisle

Macclesfield v Sheffield Wednesday

Aston Villa v Sheffield United

Norwich v Fulham

Port Vale v Plymouth

Manchester United v Swansea

Charlton v Wrexham or Oxford

Wigan v MK Dons

Rochdale v Leeds

Newcastle v Cardiff

Southampton v Burnley

Stoke v Leicester

Doncaster v Stevenage

Kidderminster v Peterborough

West Brom v Crystal Palace

Middlesbrough v Hull

Southend v Millwall

Bristol City v Watford

Nottingham Forest v West Ham

Liverpool v Oldham or Mansfield

Yeovil v Leyton Orient

Barnsley v Hartlepool or Coventry

Bold indicates EPL clubs.

I never noticed when the initial draw was made, but out of the 20 Premier League sides, everyone but Liverpool and Sunderland got someone who either is in the Premier League or was recently relegated from it. I say recently, Leicester were last in the top flight in 2003-04.