Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeECFC

Official FA Cup Thread

Re: FA Cup

Bloody Chelsea away.

Know the feeling, waited for a top side away for ages when we were in the football league and know we're playing them every week we've got United away, Arsenal away, Liverpool away and Chelsea away in the last two seasons in both cup competitions.

The League Cup offers less of a reward, something in the region of £1-2 million for winning the competition but you do get the financial benefit of playing in Europe.

So we've got Birmingham, Crawley or Bristol Rovers away, if we beat Man. United away.

Well West Ham and Aston Villa are far from small teams' date=' in any sense of the word.

But whilst they don't help the prestige of the competition, thankfully they are not in the majority. Ultimately, the prestige of the competition will be decided by the fans and there opinions of the competitions and both Villa and West Ham supporters certainly wanted to win the game.[/quote']

Firstly, no offense intended to all West Ham and Aston Villa fans, I just compared them to big club that always do rotation etc. when comes to this competition. Hence the 'small' word.

I agree on your point about fans decide the prestige of the competition, since big club will always value European title higher than FA cup and small club will value FA Cup more than League Cup and so on.

But if the manager of the club doesn't shared the same ideology, it's kinda defeat the purpose. And ultimately, they; the manager, have the final saying in this based in what they presented on the competition. And right now, both of the manager doesn't think it is worth giving it proper shot.

Re; financial reward - I think if it got more reward than and more incentives, all club will try their best.

Not agreed on CL spots, mind you. CL spots should always be given to the team based on the league, as it is more valuable to earned that spots through out entire season (38 fixtures and all) compared to some odd games in the cup run and also based on luck (draws etc.).

Sheffield United v Norwich or Fulham

Birmingham or Bristol Rovers or Crawley v Manchester United or Swansea

Bournemouth or Burton v Liverpool or Oldham

Blackburn or Manchester City v Bristol City or Watford

Derby or Chelsea v Stoke

Wigan or MK Dons v Crystal Palace

Stevenage v Everton

Arsenal v Coventry

Rochdale v Macclesfield or Sheffield Wednesday

Southend v Hull City

Nottingham Forest v Ipswich or Preston

Port Vale or Plymouth v Brighton

Huddersfield v Charlton or Oxford

Southampton v Yeovil

Bolton v Cardiff

Sunderland or Carlisle v Kidderminister or Peterborough

Firstly' date=' no offense intended to all West Ham and Aston Villa fans, I just compared them to big club that always do rotation etc. when comes to this competition. Hence the 'small' word.

I agree on your point about fans decide the prestige of the competition, since big club will always value European title higher than FA cup and small club will value FA Cup more than League Cup and so on.

But if the manager of the club doesn't shared the same ideology, it's kinda defeat the purpose. And ultimately, they; the manager, have the final saying in this based in what they presented on the competition. And right now, both of the manager doesn't think it is worth giving it proper shot.

Re; financial reward - I think if it got more reward than and more incentives, all club will try their best.

Not agreed on CL spots, mind you. CL spots should always be given to the team based on the league, as it is more valuable to earned that spots through out entire season (38 fixtures and all) compared to some odd games in the cup run and also based on luck (draws etc.).[/quote']

Well I'd agree with 'weaker' but not small, Villa are European cup winners, seven time FA Cup winners and in my opinion a bigger club than Manchester City.

The managers are going to be judged by the fans though, they ultimately can do what they like but Lambert and Allardyce will get a back lash that will make them reconsider there priorities. Ultimately, the fans are going to be a constant and managers will come and go. Teams that aren't going to take the competition seriously in the top divisions won't make it to the later stages where the competition heats up.

It may be based on luck, but giving the Champions League spots to the FA Cup and League Cup winners will give the financial incentive that some managers needs. The 'Champions' League should be for exactly that, Champions, not fourth place. Yes, the current format does secure stronger sides reach the Champions League, but the 'race for fourth' is usually pretty dull and something I think the league could do with out to improve the entertainment of the FA Cup.

Sheffield United v Norwich or Fulham

Birmingham or Bristol Rovers or Crawley v Manchester United or Swansea

Bournemouth or Burton v Liverpool or Oldham

Blackburn or Manchester City v Bristol City or Watford

Derby or Chelsea v Stoke

Wigan or MK Dons v Crystal Palace

Stevenage v Everton

Arsenal v Coventry

Rochdale v Macclesfield or Sheffield Wednesday

Southend v Hull City

Nottingham Forest v Ipswich or Preston

Port Vale or Plymouth v Brighton

Huddersfield v Charlton or Oxford

Southampton v Yeovil

Bolton v Cardiff

Sunderland or Carlisle v Kidderminister or Peterborough

Well I'd agree with 'weaker' but not small' date=' Villa are European cup winners, seven time FA Cup winners and in my opinion a bigger club than Manchester City.[/quote']

"Weaker" - doesn't quite work well with my initial comment. Small seems to be the word that ft it nicely at that time.

They by no means is a small club based on history, but in football sense right now, yes, Villa is small club compared to City. I think you get my point ..

The managers are going to be judged by the fans though, they ultimately can do what they like but Lambert and Allardyce will get a back lash that will make them reconsider there priorities. Ultimately, the fans are going to be a constant and managers will come and go. Teams that aren't going to take the competition seriously in the top divisions won't make it to the later stages where the competition heats up.
That is why I questioned the level of prestige of this cup in the said manager eyes. If they think it is still worth winning they should treat it like one. Sometimes this kind of act that make FA Cup less entertaining not the rewards.

I used to think it was prestigious due to some smallish club from lower tier can beat PL club (and partially because it was the oldest competition). But if the said club from the PL not making an effort to win this competition, let alone one match, that's kinda make it less prestigious.

It may be based on luck, but giving the Champions League spots to the FA Cup and League Cup winners will give the financial incentive that some managers needs. The 'Champions' League should be for exactly that, Champions, not fourth place. Yes, the current format does secure stronger sides reach the Champions League, but the 'race for fourth' is usually pretty dull and something I think the league could do with out to improve the entertainment of the FA Cup.
Yes it does sound good for all the champions to face one another in that competition, but still, league final standing should be the only thing effecting this spots, to maintained and performed in the entire season for 38 fixtures, it is the close thing to champions (be it 3rd, 4th place) than winning odd cup match.

Also, if you think it will add the entertainment of the FA Cup, what about the entertainment of CL itself? Doesn't it lower it by some distance?

And I believe with this current format each country a protecting their own country ranking / coefficient ranking in this competition, they are not gonna let some smallish club take the last spots (which more likely to lose in the qualifying round) and risking the number of team they can send next season.

I'd just like to clarify. We are in no way a small club.

You are in terms of squad size, hence Lambert is absolutely right to disregard the FA Cup as the money generated by being in the PL trumps a cup run all day long. They are nice for the fans though - wish the league cup could introduce an age policy of some kind to even things up - like 5 of starting 11 must be U21. At the moment only the better sides, who have larger squads, can afford to play decent players in the cup.

You are in terms of squad size' date=' hence Lambert is absolutely right to disregard the FA Cup as the money generated by being in the PL trumps a cup run all day long. They are nice for the fans though - wish the league cup could introduce an age policy of some kind to even things up - like 5 of starting 11 must be U21. At the moment only the better sides, who have larger squads, can afford to play decent players in the cup.[/quote']

Sorry that is complete tripe.

Sorry that is complete tripe.

What do you think is more valuable to Villa as a club: staying in the Premier League or going a few more rounds in the cup? I, and I think most fans, love the cup competitions but chairmen and owners will want to see their sides keep the revenue of the PL. When the margins are as finely balanced as the league is this season, I can understand some worried sides not wanting the cup as a distraction.

What do you think is more valuable to Villa as a club: staying in the Premier League or going a few more rounds in the cup? I' date=' and I think most fans, love the cup competitions but chairmen and owners will want to see their sides keep the revenue of the PL. When the margins are as finely balanced as the league is this season, I can understand some worried sides not wanting the cup as a distraction.[/quote']

My initial response was a bit to blunt so excuse me, but in terms of why please refer to the Villa thread where this was discussed a bit earlier between myself and Rugger.

The reasons given are complete tosh, an FA Cup run means two PL games being rescheduled that is all, the 3rd-5th rounds all have there own specified weekend irrespective of PL fixtures and the final has rightfully been moved to it's own weekend.

The reasons spoke about by Lambert are complete tosh and IMO and many Villa fans humiliates the club.

What do you think is more valuable to Villa as a club: staying in the Premier League or going a few more rounds in the cup? I' date=' and I think most fans, love the cup competitions but chairmen and owners will want to see their sides keep the revenue of the PL. When the margins are as finely balanced as the league is this season, I can understand some worried sides not wanting the cup as a distraction.[/quote']

Staying in the Premier League is a priority, however why does it have to be one or the other? A win at home to League one Sheffield United and they are just four wins away from the final, it's not that many league fixtures. It's not like the Europa League where we've got to play 18 games to get to the final.

I personally think that winning the FA Cup games can have a positive effect on the league campaign, certainly more so then the effect that losing to Sheffield United will have on the team.

Yes, Wigan went down and won the cup last season, but it's not like they were out of trouble when the FA Cup started. I personally think that the FA Cup gave them a better chance of staying in the division, but they just ultimately weren't good enough to stay in it.

Not wanting to be in the competition just shows no ambition whatsoever, settling for mediocrity and not giving the support a cup win to dream about.

If a team like Aston Villa doesn't want to be in the FA Cup next year then so be it. Let them give up their spot and allow another lower league team to have a chance. Just bump up the highest ranked team that would normally compete a round prior so one more minnow can live the dream.

I wouldn't say Aston Villa are a huge draw. Everyone wants Chelsea, or one of the Manchester teams, or as Coventry got today, Arsenal. Those big teams will always want to win the FA Cup and have the resources to try. Teams in the Championship down to the non-league dream of a cup run, so they wouldn't stop trying. But hey, if a couple of the lower Premiership teams want to give up, let them.

;2819378']Called Swansea to win' date=' and think comfortably win their fourth round tie.[/quote']

Not necessarily, Birmingham deservedly beat us in the third round of the League Cup, Crawley gave us a very tough game in the third round of the League Cup last season and Bristol Rovers away would certainly be a hostile place for us to go.

Not necessarily' date=' Birmingham deservedly beat us in the third round of the League Cup, Crawley gave us a very tough game in the third round of the League Cup last season and Bristol Rovers away would certainly be a hostile place for us to go.[/quote']

End of January should have more things at your disposal.