Allan McGregor

Anno

I'm surprised he's still rated just 87. He's played in almost every Rangers game since forcing his way into the team under then manager Paul Le Guen & has kept his place in the side since Walter Smith took over.

Roy Carroll was signed to compete for the No.1 jersey, but hasn't had a look in and McGregor also made his international debut for Scotland this year.

Add that to the fact that the 25 year old has put in some outstanding displays in the Champions League this season, already keeping a clean sheet against Lyon & Barcelona and I'd suggest he should be at least an 89 rated keeper.

I'll not stop there though. Considering that Craig Gordon is rated 90 in SM and Scotland's No.1 I feel McGregor deserves to be the same. I don't think there's much to choose between Gordon & McGregor. If anything McGregor's more consistent than Gordon and makes fewer errors.

Yes, Gordon plays in our national squad all the time, but he doesn't play in the biggest club tournament in the world on a regular basis; the Champions League.

You could compare McGregor to his city rival, Artur Boruc, also a 90 rated keeper. It wasn't he that kept a clean sheet in the last Old Firm derby. Ok, that was petty, but you know what I mean.

Thoughts anyone?

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed this was discussed earlier in the year. :o

Re: Allan McGregor

McGregor is a good keeper but to say he is better than Gordon is nonsense IMO.

Gordon has always produced top class performances for club and country for a fair few years now where McGregor has only 1 seasons worth of first team experience. I think 89 would be a fair reflection on his latest performances but I also believe Gordon should be higher as he is a better GK than Robinson.

Every goalkeeper I've spoken to and most players are of the opinion that McGregor is the better keeper of the two. The only difference between them being Gordon's massive transfer fee & McGregor being prone to fewer errors than him!

Gordon is a better shot stopper, but McGregor's all round game is better.

I know a goalkeeping coach at Kilmarnock (and this is just one example) that considers McGregor to be superior to Gordon, but still not the finished article. I will say this; Gordon should be rated higher & McGregor in kind. Surely it doesn't matter how long you've been performing at the highest level, as long as you are proving that you can, is all that really matters.

McGregor proved himself last season and has started this season in even better form. He's quite simply the best keeper in Scotland right now and easily one of the best in Britain based on current form. He's certainly playing better and more consistantly than Gordon or Robinson.

McGregor has the advantage of playing for Rangers (better defenders fewer shots against etc) where Gordon made his name by playing behind dodgy defences and showing his class. Arsene Wenger even commented after the Scotland win at Hampden that Gordon was the best young GK he had seen in years. As for the Killie GK coach he is biased as he was Rangers GK coach who trained McGregor. Alex McLeish has worked with both and he picks Gordon before McGregor for Scotland I rest my case.

McGregor has the advantage of playing for Rangers (better defenders fewer shots against etc) where Gordon made his name by playing behind dodgy defences and showing his class. Arsene Wenger even commented after the Scotland win at Hampden that Gordon was the best young GK he had seen in years. As for the Killie GK coach he is biased as he was Rangers GK coach who trained McGregor. Alex McLeish has worked with both and he picks Gordon before McGregor for Scotland I rest my case.

that does not hide the fact that he should be rated 89 does it?

he has only conceded 10 goals in 17 games, with 12 clean sheets.........and thats only this season!

I would say that deserves a 89

Ive already stated that I agree he should be an 89 just not higher as I dont believe he has done enough to warrant a 90.

Are you saying that Paul Robinson's a better keeper than McGregor?

The Killie goalkeeping coach I'm talking about isn't the senior coach, he's one of the youth coaches.

I should point out that the season that Gordon really made his name was the season that Hearts were pushing for the title for a long time. He had a cracking defence in front of him too. The same with Scotland. He has the best the country can offer in front of him, plus, the defence that Rangers have in the SPL is the same they have in Europe, so the argument of having better defenders doesn't really stick, since they're up against better players as well. ****, just look at the Barcelona siege last week! McGregor was as instrumental in that game as the likes of Weir & Cuellar.

As for Scotland, when McLeish took over the reigns Gordon was the established No.1 and McGregor had bearly broken into the Rangers 1st team. While Gordon is playing well, no one is going to shift him. The same with any position. It doesn't mean McGregor or any other Scottish keeper is worse than Gordon.

Anyway, I'll ramble all day at this rate. To change the direction of the argument; you believe he deserves to be an 89 for "time served" shall we say. Assuming he continues to play in the same way for another season or so, would you warrant him being a 90 then?

I dont think Robinson is better at this moment due to his confidence crisis but on his day he is a top GK. Allan McGregor has had a few stand out games but it doesnt make him a world class GK. If he carries on the way he has then I believe he has the ability to become a 90+ on SM. For the record Killie have 1 part time GK coach who only arrived 2 weeks ago before that our GK A.Combe was doing the coaching.

Guest the plummer

Allan McGregor has had a few stand out games .

All get in on this then

allan MacGregor in my opinion is a consistent player other than a 'Stand Out in a few games' . He rarley makes mistakes and commands the back line Tremendously, For now he cant go to 90 for a few reasons and the main one is that he aint the national keeper. BUT he has definatly got to go to 89 mainly beacuase he is playing in a champs league side who share dominancy in thier very hard group and only conceding once is amazing.

All give you an example of how UNJUST the ratings system is

Carlo Cudicini rated 87

Allan Macgregor rated 87

How can this be right but defo next changes AG to 89

Mcgregor is a very decent gk

he should get a increase thats for

Gordon and Boruc also

All three have made alot more than a handful of Schmichael saves but they do have thier faults

the full rangers team nearly deserves a increase especially Ferguson

Scott Brown 89 imo

Mcmanus 89

I dont think Robinson is better at this moment due to his confidence crisis but on his day he is a top GK. Allan McGregor has had a few stand out games but it doesnt make him a world class GK. If he carries on the way he has then I believe he has the ability to become a 90+ on SM. For the record Killie have 1 part time GK coach who only arrived 2 weeks ago before that our GK A.Combe was doing the coaching.

lol he has no chance of 90 yet not in a long way

88-89 yes but hes not internationl not worled wide known and is only playing for rangers:D