An observation (or a whinge as some might say!)

First of all I will start by admitting that I am a Noobie to Soccermanager and the whole forum thing, so I would ask you all to treat me gently and take this thread in the spirit in which it is intended, and not as an attempt by me to flame other forum users. All I am doing is making an observation in the hope that many people read it and just bear it in mind before posting certain threads.

So here goes...........

My observation lies in the Player help and discussion threads. They certainly have their place in the game, which I feel is to help players with small clubs and budgets to find out about up and coming talent so that they can make investments to sell these players on later at a profit, and hence make the small team competitive. Also they can be used for the larger sides to find out about the same said talent if they are looking to invest for the future. I will admit that as a manager of a small club (Brentford in Division 4), I myself have both started threads for advice on such players, and followed the advice of more experienced players, and those that spend much time and effort scouting to build my squad with such players.

I am getting to a point (honest)........

Where I feel these forums are getting misused are where numerous threads are started to discuss the transfer deals of established world class players. I have lost count of how many threads there are with seemingly stupid questions like "should I trade Henry for Ronaldino?" (I have made this one up before anyone takes offence). These are all questions about players who are well known on the world stage, and I think if you're asking questions like this the real question you should be asking yourself is "Who is playing this game, me or the people giving me advice on the forums?" If the answer is the latter, then another question springs to mind; "Why am I playing this game at all?" At the end of the day, (to use a football euphamism) if you can't make an informed decision based on your knowledge of our media based sport, then it really is time to look at your ability to play this game.

As I said, I'm not looking to flame anybody; I just wanted to present the arguement in a constructive manner for those playing the game for what it is; a management sim. I'm also trying not to take the game too seriously, because it is that too..........only a game. All I'm asking is that maybe people think for themselves once in a while before filling the forums with these seemingly endless and monotonous threads.

Re: An observation (or a whinge as some might say!)

I agree but some people are like yourself new to the game and therefore just want to be put in the right direction on a deal as they dont want for example to be reported for a deal and just want that little extra advice on what to do- but this should be limited as helping someone choose a forum and giving advice on who to play where i think goes a little too far as it is like you are controlling the team not the manager- however the manager has the right to disagree.

Well written and well said, i share your aggravetation with the numerous threads that get created with people asking or posting stupid things in general.Have a look at Mattyjewi today"Hate Thread",plan and simple waste of time.Some members have actually even went so far as to write nice Threads that have been stickied to help with some of threads that created in hope to cut them back a tad

And i fully agree with you, the trade help ones in regards to World Class player are ridiculous,so just neg rep them,leave them a comment eventually they will get the hint and get to 0 rep with a fancy Red Card under them

Well written and well said' date=' i share your aggravetation with the numerous threads that get created with people asking or posting stupid things in general.Have a look at Mattyjewi today"Hate Thread",plan and simple waste of time.Some members have actually even went so far as to write nice Threads that have been stickied to help with some of threads that created in hope to cut them back a tad

And i fully agree with you, the trade help ones in regards to World Class player are ridiculous,so just neg rep them,leave them a comment eventually they will get the hint and get to 0 rep with a fancy Red Card under them[/quote']

Thanks for the support!

I must say i did read the aforementioned thread from earlier today and take your point, but I think that one's been put to bed now.:o

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry only seen this today:rolleyes:,just shows how your points are very true as good posts like this tend to get buried in alot of rubbish.

I know alot of these "what should i do posts" aggravate alot of forum users but it does show that a large portion of the forum users can't or wouldn't think before they post or maybe this is the only sort of thing they are capable of posting.

Hope this lack of response does not put you of posting on the forum because you are the type of person we need more of on here.

There are actually some very good forumers who make regular good contributions to the forum if you look hard enough beneath the sometimes mountainess rubbish that you pointed out.

So hope to hear more from you hesse:)

• 5 months later...

Just stumbled across this from the dark ages when I was a noob! (well last October!)

Well at least some progress has been made from those days; and we now have a specific thread for those who need help with their transfer deals, rather than the forum being littered with hundreds of "should I do this deal?" threads. That's not to say that they are totally extinct!:P