Rep Point boom

It seems that over the past 2-3 weeks there seems to be a lot of rep being given out. I was just wondering the reasons for this?

It doesn't seem to me that there has been a sudden influx of amazing posts that there wasn't before that everyone deserves lots of rep for so it does seem a little strange. I have seen certain forumers go from less than 100 rep points (rep power 1) to over 300 rep points in a matter of 2 weeks, now it may just be me but that seems excessive!

I have received a couple of strange reps recently as well for posts that were of no real quality and took no effort at all, on each occasion the person giving the rep has said they were giving it to me so I would return it to them! Surely that defeats the object and purpose of the rep system??

My understanding is that you are meant to rep a post that you enjoy, agree with or that has had a lot of time and effort put into it. Why have posts started to get repped for the sake of getting repped? Also there seems to be a lot of asking for rep in your signature and profile notes, I think that is degrading the actual rep system. There should be no need to ask for rep, if people like your posts, they will rep you for it!

I personally (and this is just my own view) will not be repping anyone at all that asks for rep whether I like their post or not as they are ruining a perfectly good system in my opinion and spoiling their own posts!

Feel free to comment and remember this is in no way aimed at any persons in particular and I hold nothing against anyone on the forum.:)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Rep Point boom I am closing this thread! We have gone way off topic too often and it has become very personal. I hope Leigh's post has highlighted a few issues with the current system that we

Re: Rep Point boom I feel bad if I don't rep people back, although I try to rep one of their better posts.

Re: Rep Point boom I think it sucks! .....because I haven't had any yet!!!

Re: Rep Point boom

Yeah Ive seen a few although I would have to admit I have returned the favour rather then to fall out with people! But there are certain people on the forum whom I wont name that Im suprised have more then 2 rep boxes and they actually have 3 or 4 :eek:

I feel bad if I don't rep people back, although I try to rep one of their better posts.

I agree with Leigh.

I never rep people back just because they have repped me I think it defies the whole point in the system.

If I repped someone why does that mean I deserve a rep? I might not even have done any good posts lately etc.

If this is how its going to work that would mean people will just try looking for a half decent post to rep in hope of getting 1 back again.

I also agree its silly asking for rep either in sigs or in the thing under your username

Yeah I agree it is a bit daft. If people are abusing the rep system, we can look into it and if the same people are repping each other constantly maybe we could consider dishing out a punishment, like zeroing their rep, or upping the number of people you rep must rep before repping the same person again.

Do people on the forum generally like the rep system?

Yeah I agree it is a bit daft. If people are abusing the rep system' date=' we can look into it and if the same people are repping each other constantly maybe we could consider dishing out a punishment, like zeroing their rep, or upping the number of people you rep must rep before repping the same person again.

Do people on the forum generally like the rep system?[/quote']

I like the system when it is used properly. Unfortunately I think it's pretty clear that some are abusing the system right now.

Yeah I agree it is a bit daft. If people are abusing the rep system' date=' we can look into it and if the same people are repping each other constantly maybe we could consider dishing out a punishment, like zeroing their rep, or upping the number of people you rep must rep before repping the same person again.

Do people on the forum generally like the rep system?[/quote']

not really ,teb.

I think, (and i thought this till i first saw the rep system) that it should be done like this. Mods and Admins of the forum look at what u have done and kinda c if u should get an increase or not. (OK it's a bit stupid looking @ thousands of posts a day but hey, it solves the problem)

Is there anyway of mods being able to see rep given?

If so, maybe that could be introduced, at least it would be possible to see who's given it for what etc :)

I still think that the rep is a good thing for the forum though, and it's definitely better than what we used to have. Maybe Teb's idea of zeroing their rep is the way forward.

I like the rep system but the only problem i find is that certain people post outstanding post on a daily basis but unless you rep many people you cant rep the person that deserves it.

I generally rep a post if it is good, it doesnt have to be fantastic or eye poppingly good but a post that is in a positive fashion will be repped by me, but for the main reason that i can get back to repping the people who really matter ( they will know who they are so i wont name names ).

I dont ask for rep back and i do neg rep a poor post also so hopefully that doesnt make me a rep spammer :) but its the only way to award the people who post really well on this forum.

P.S When the rep thread started i remember posting a worry about immature forumers neg repping you because they have been neg repped, well it has happened to me a couple of times so theres also a problem on the negative side as well as the positive.

I also think that people should only increase by 1 rep point regardless of people's rep power each time they are given postive rep and the same for negative. It seems at the moment that it is a little unfair on the newer users. If each rep only meant an increase in 1 rep point it may also deter people misusing the system, just a thought?

I like the rep system but the only problem i find is that certain people post outstanding post on a daily basis but unless you rep many people you cant rep the person that deserves it.

I generally rep a post if it is good' date=' it doesnt have to be fantastic or eye poppingly good but a post that is in a positive fashion will be repped by me, but for the main reason that i can get back to repping the people who really matter ( they will know who they are so i wont name names ).

I dont ask for rep back and i do neg rep a poor post also so hopefully that doesnt make me a rep spammer :) but its the only way to award the people who post really well on this forum.

P.S When the rep thread started i remember posting a worry about immature forumers neg repping you because they have been neg repped, well it has happened to me a couple of times so theres also a problem on the negative side as well as the positive.[/size']

Totally agree Steve, problem is that it has to be balanced out. I think the current level of people you have to rep is ok. I rarely hand out rep as I generally only give it to posts that have impressed me a lot or that I really enjoyed reading, there doesn't seem to be enough of those in general imo and certainly not enough for people to have 500 :eek: rep points when the most anyone can/could give was 11!

I thought the same thing, I was very surprised to see that people had three or four rep bar things. I thought that everyone had turned into a mini teb's and started to write novels for posts :rolleyes::P

I personally like the system and think if used properly then it does it's purpose as to showing who contributes to the forum, and posts interesting constructive posts, but if everyone is just going to rep every Tom, **** and Harry then the rep system is pretty much useless.

Unfortunately, from what has been said, people keep repping the same people over and over again, that's easy enough to stop I would assume. However, if the whole rep system is the same as I remember it to be then the person must rep 10 other people before they can rep the person again, is this still the case? Because if so then there will be 10 people potentially getting repped for (maybe) not the highest quality of posts because of the two (or more) people who are abusing the rep system. That is also going to have an impact on how much rep a person has, 10 people getting rep for nothing will eventually add up to something.

Again from what people have said, it would seem that the rep system has become a competition, people asking for rep in their signatures etc. The solution seems easy enough to me, if a person has a signature, or whatever, asking for rep then block them from giving and receiving reputation, if their post is that bad that they need to ask for rep then they don't deserve to receive rep points for it. And if they keep asking for rep, or repping for the fun of it, ban them from the forum for a day or two *evil laugh* :rolleyes::)

unfortunatly seen this coming;)and have been caught up in this "rep war" myself:o.

It's getting like the old system of people collecting rep like they used to collect post counts and i don't have a magic forumla or new suggestion of a way around it.

Unfortunatly in forums human nature spurs people on to improve their status in the forum community and whether this is by posting more then others or aquiring the most rep the outcome is always the same."How come so and so has more rep than me,i better get my rep points up"

People have repped me and i always return the favour even if i can't find a decent post by them!!:rolleyes:.

Also i tend to give newcomers rep just to make them feel welcome.

In my eyes it is all a bit of harmless fun:)

When goals are set or targets have to be achieved human nature makes us all want to win or do better than others.

Any system which offers "rewards" will always be open to abuse.

To sumarise i think it is all a bit of harmless fun and should not be classed as a life and death issue so lighten up peeps:)

unfortunatly seen this coming;)and have been caught up in this "rep war" myself:o.

It's getting like the old system of people collecting rep like they used to collect post counts and i don't have a magic forumla or new suggestion of a way around it.

Unfortunatly in forums human nature spurs people on to improve their status in the forum community and whether this is by posting more then others or aquiring the most rep the outcome is always the same."How come so and so has more rep than me' date='i better get my rep points up"

People have repped me and i always return the favour even if i can't find a decent post by them!!:rolleyes:.

Also i tend to give newcomers rep just to make them feel welcome.

In my eyes it is all a bit of harmless fun:)

When goals are set or targets have to be achieved human nature makes us all want to win or do better than others.

Any system which offers "rewards" will always be open to abuse.

To sumarise i think it is all a bit of harmless fun and should not be classed as a life and death issue so lighten up peeps:)[/quote']

yeah although used in that way there is no point in having it tho we may aswell just get rid of it.

newcomers will get repped if they make a good post or start to the forum anyways look at the guys winning the newbie of the month etc.

I have only repped posts I have read and liked I have been repped by a few people yet I have never given any rep back because of it as i dont belive it should be that way if I thought about it that way I prob wouldnt bother using it at all as it would all be pretty pointless.

I don't really like the rep system at all because it isn't really that fair' date='some people don't deserve to have as many points as they do..[/quote']

Spot on. I think to myself for example: "why the heck has he got more points than herby? makes no sense what have they contributed to the forum" and I don't like it. I have been repped by people for "being Sexy" etc. which is true but don't like to boast :D

yeah although used in that way there is no point in having it tho we may aswell just get rid of it.

newcomers will get repped if they make a good post or start to the forum anyways look at the guys winning the newbie of the month etc.

I have only repped posts I have read and liked I have been repped by a few people yet I have never given any rep back because of it as i dont belive it should be that way if I thought about it that way I prob wouldnt bother using it at all as it would all be pretty pointless.

Couldn't agree more. If this is how the rep system is being used then it is hardly rewarding quality of posts which I am sure was the sole reason for it being brought onto the forum in the first place. Seems pointless using it at all from now.:(