The World Cup - Showdown. Match Reports, General banter and bragging rights thread.

Matt72

Re: The World Cup - Showdown.

*Scratches head in a perplexed manner*

I hope that's in amazement??? Lol

So division 1 would be real life World Cup groups a&b and you only take the results from the teams who play in same group and the other games you ignore (be like friendlies mean nothing)

So when Brazil play Spain no points scored but Brazil score points against maexico then on forum you can do the real life groups A to H

I hope that's in amazement??? Lol

So division 1 would be real life World Cup groups a&b and you only take the results from the teams who play in same group and the other games you ignore (be like friendlies mean nothing)

So when Brazil play Spain no points scored but Brazil score points against maexico then on forum you can do the real life groups A to H

Surely that would mean that the 4 strongest clubs will still go through leaving the minnows in the bottom four would it not? I think getting the right 2 real life groups merged into one group will be far better. Shame nobody has as yet tried to find a nicely balanced 4 groups yet.

Edit: Also it will require having to keep on top of results of each sub group within the 8 team group and I wanting to avoid additional work in set ups. I have over complicated many set ups in the past and they have become all to time consuming.

I have tried to quickly make up 4 groups and see what people think.

GROUP A

Germany

Portugal

Ghana

USA

France

Honduras

Ecuador

Switzerland

GROUP B

Algeria

Korea

Russia

Belgium

Croatia

Brazil

Mexico

Cameroon

GROUP C

Netherlands

Spain

Chile

Australia

Argentina

Nigeria

Bosnia

Iran

GROUP D

England

Italy

Uruguay

Costa Rica

Greece

Colombia

Cote d'Ivoire

Japan

Any thoughts on this?

Hey Matt thanks for putting me down, you can definitely count me in.

By the looks of it option 1 is the favourite option with everyone else and also would be my choice.

If possible I would like one of the lesser teams, either Switzerland or Costa Rica :D

Respuesta: The World Cup - Showdown.

Hi, would be interested in participating, I have just one question, will be original equipment or empty templates? And the teams are picked by lottery or?

Can I participate all full or longer?

Sorry for my bad English, I'm Spanish :P

regards :)

Re: Respuesta: The World Cup - Showdown.

Hey Matt thanks for putting me down' date=' you can definitely count me in.

By the looks of it option 1 is the favourite option with everyone else and also would be my choice.

If possible I would like one of the lesser teams, either Switzerland or Costa Rica :D[/quote']

No worries mate. If you send me a list of your 5 lesser teams in order of preference. I don't see it being an issue. If anyone else wants a lesser team let me know as it will be just the big teams them that will need drawing randomly.

Hi' date=' would be interested in participating, I have just one question, will be original equipment or empty templates? And the teams are picked by lottery or?

Can I participate all full or longer?

Sorry for my bad English, I'm Spanish :P

regards :)[/quote']

You can join mate as I still need 12 managers. The idea is for you to sell all the players who are not in the World Cup in real life and then buy the players for your team who are in the World Cup. For example Barcelona will be team Spain, they have 7 players in there squad already who are at the world cup. You must sell all players who are not at the World Cup and then buy the 16 players who are at the World Cup. Hope that is clear. If you have any problems just ask Pedro olive ora as he can speak Spanish.

The best teams will be done by random (lottery) the worst teams managers can choose.

For me group division should be to make sure we have 16 winners from 4 different quarters from IRL wc i.e group A&B, C&D , E&F, G&H. It may not be the most balanced but it'd be similar to real WC. Some of the heavyweight teams will get knocked out but that would mean some minnows will go a long distance giving their managers some hope of a long campaign.

For me group division should be to make sure we have 16 winners from 4 different quarters from IRL wc i.e group A&B' date=' C&D , E&F, G&H. It may not be the most balanced but it'd be similar to real WC. Some of the heavyweight teams will get knocked out but that would mean some minnows will go a long distance giving their managers some hope of a long campaign.[/quote']

I agree which is why (I hope) the list of groups I have posted will give the sides outside of the power nations a shot at qualification. If you feel there are some groups that are unbalanced and feel you can change them for the better then feel free, as I said earlier the more people who post what they feel are he most balanced groups the better.

Also the longest stint of the set up thankfully is the qualification, once it gets to the knockout phase via the connect GW's the matches can be played either daily or every two days, so even if the knockout stage is played every two days it will only last a week.

No worries mate. If you send me a list of your 5 lesser teams in order of preference. I don't see it being an issue. If anyone else wants a lesser team let me know as it will be just the big teams them that will need drawing randomly.

Belgium or Colombia if possible, please ... :D

Belgium or Colombia if possible' date=' please ... :D[/quote']

I am only allowing managers to choose if they are picking one of the lesser teams. Belgium can't be classed as that. If nobody wants Colombia I am happy to let you have them.

I am only allowing managers to choose if they are picking one of the lesser teams. Belgium can't be classed as that. If nobody wants Colombia I am happy to let you have them.

If you are Llowing managers to choose the lesser sides I will take England :)

Guest FallenAngel

The best teams will be done by random (lottery) the worst teams managers can choose.

do you have a list of what are big/small or are you taking them on a case by case view - FIFA ranked them at WC draw time(Rankings in brackets)

Spain (1)

Germany (2)

Argentina (3)

Colombia (4)

Portugal (5)

Uruguay (6)

Italy (7)

Switzerland (8)

Netherlands (9)

Brazil (10)

Belgium (11)

Greece (12)

England (13)

United States (14)

Chile (15)

Croatia (16)

Ivory Coast (17)

France (19)

Mexico (20)

Bosnia and Herzegovina (21)

Russia (22)

Ecuador (23)

Ghana (24)

Algeria (26)

Costa Rica (31)

Nigeria (36)

Honduras (41)

Iran (45)

Japan (48)

Cameroon (51)

Korea Republic (54)

Australia (59)

do you have a list of what are big/small or are you taking them on a case by case view - FIFA ranked them at WC draw time(Rankings in brackets)

Spain (1)

Germany (2)

Argentina (3)

Colombia (4)

Portugal (5)

Uruguay (6)

Italy (7)

Switzerland (8)

Netherlands (9)

Brazil (10)

Belgium (11)

Greece (12)

England (13)

United States (14)

Chile (15)

Croatia (16)

Ivory Coast (17)

France (19)

Mexico (20)

Bosnia and Herzegovina (21)

Russia (22)

Ecuador (23)

Ghana (24)

Algeria (26)

Costa Rica (31)

Nigeria (36)

Honduras (41)

Iran (45)

Japan (48)

Cameroon (51)

Korea Republic (54)

Australia (59)

I guess real life rankings go out the window where SM is concerned. It should be based more on in game player ratings.

Might be best if managers PM me a list of 10 teams in order of preference rather than clogging up the thread. We can go down that route if people prefer rather than managers just shouting out teams in here, I will just lose track and disregard claims/pleas. Germany are out of bounds they are mine.

Once we have our "original" squads can we add to the squad or change players and' date=' if so, must they be players from the correct country?[/quote']

The sides that will represent there respective countries must do the following:

Purchase the 23 players that are representing there country at the World Cup in real life.

Sell all the players that do not represent there country at the World Cup.

You will not be allowed to buy any other players and the Custom GW rules when set will not allow you to buy players from any country other that the club you manage.

There are 6 countries that will be unable to purchase the 23 that represent there respective sides at the World Cup, this is due to SM not allowing you to purchase more than 3 players from one club per season. I will try and update the first post tomorrow that will make things much clearer.