Sign in to follow this  
9wolves2009

Too Many Glory Hunters in this Game!!

Please don't think for one second that I'm trying tell everybody how to play, I just felt like a moan :).

I'm talking to you managers who only play to enter a brand new GameWorld, and buy all the top 95+ rated guys like Messi, and just destroy everybody.

Ok cool, you will win 95% of the time and your stats will be awesome, but deep down, honestly, does that seriously satisfy you?

For me (and I tried it once), it is incredibly boring (bordering on sad).

I took over Burnley in Div 2. We were like 18th and our budget was 20m. First season I had to sell the 30+ year olds and the players whose levels had dropped. Then I bought a bunch of 18-25 year olds with good potential.

Next season I sold some more players and signed some solid 88-rated players to get us into Division 1. Obscure players who imo not too many have heard of (without sounding arrogant). Ahmedov (87 cdm, from Anzi), Peluso (88 cb, from Juve) Charles Kabore (88 cdm, Krasnodar).

At this point we were still really poorly rated in comparison to the rest, and were ranked like 18/20. With those same 88 rated players, I kept to the same style, and managed to finish 5th, beating Arsenal home and away (they were ranked #1 with Messi, Robben, Xavi etc). I knew that they only ever played 4-4-2 so for those 2 games I switched it to 4-2-3-1 to dominate possession, chances, and ultimately the result.

I might be alone on this, but for me that felt WAYYY more satisfying than just picking up the world's best guys and cruising to 1st place every season.

your thoughts?

cheers

Re: Too Many Glory Hunters in this Game!!

I don't see how it's much of a challenge if you just buy all the best ones' date=' but fair enough.[/quote']

Agreed, it's much more fun when you buy 100+ players and sit on them for years.

Agreed' date=' it's much more fun when you buy 100+ players and sit on them for years.[/quote']

Haha, very good.

Unfortunately for you, that's not entirely true, but still a decent effort.

Like I mentioned in a different thread, when I took over a team, there were already 20-something managers there who were more experienced and had been around longer.

I was picking up players who were mostly frees and 75-80 rated who clearly weren't wanted by anyone else. If they were, they would have been taken already or at least shortlisted.

I wouldn't exactly say I was sitting on them either. Each season I would loan out every single player which meant a much better chance of them playing games. As well as this, I could monitor progress and see which ones were rising and which ones were not.

If I found players who hadn't improved in a year or more then I'd move them on and invest in new ones.

PS

You'd have to be incredibly narrow-minded to think/imply that real-life clubs have 25 players on their books and bam, that's it.

EPL clubs for example would have several squads of all different ages & levels in order for them to participate in Youth Leagues such as the Barclays u-21 Premier League, or under-19s even. Chelsea last season loaned out something like 60 players I believe? Could be wrong though.

However on this game we can't really organise our squad in such a detailed way, it's either 1st Team Squad or Youth team squad and that's it.

H

You'd have to be incredibly narrow-minded to think/imply that real-life clubs have 25 players on their books and bam' date=' that's it.[/quote']

Can you tell me that last time a team like Burnley had a transfer kitty of £20m+ ;)

SM has to keep the realism and fantasy levels very finely tuned otherwise the game would not be enjoyable. If the game was uber realistic then your Barnsley side would not be able to compete in the transfer market by buying 88+ rated players.

Building a squad by signing young players like Reus while rated 80, Gotze at 75 is very enjoyable for some and not for others, just like some managers prefer buying Messi, Ronaldo etc.

Can you tell me that last time a team like Burnley had a transfer kitty of £20m+ ;)

SM has to keep the realism and fantasy levels very finely tuned otherwise the game would not be enjoyable. If the game was uber realistic then your Barnsley side would not be able to compete in the transfer market by buying 88+ rated players.

Building a squad by signing young players like Reus while rated 80' date=' Gotze at 75 is very enjoyable for some and not for others, just like some managers prefer buying Messi, Ronaldo etc.[/quote']

I agree with some of that. For instance I've always had issues with the rating system. Where the rating for the lowest players starts at ~60, I think it should start somewhere closer to 30-40 to spread the range more, hence players don't get rated way higher than they really should be.

When players like Barkley are rated 88, and then I see other 88-rated guys who I'd never bloody heard of, you know something's a bit odd! :) Probably could have given a better example, but I don't have one right now. :)

It just amuses me when I check into some threads and people are crying about managers who build ridiculously big squads. At the end of the day, we have to adjust to it and compensate by paying out extra in wages each week. Also, we are more likely to have players with concerns who slap in transfer requests for not playing.

I don't buy all the best stars for £30m each because for me, there's no skill there whatsoever. So I make up for the lack of stars by investing in more youth players who may rise and either a) net a big sale for me or even B) get into the team.

Glory hunting also qualifies as buying up a bunch of good youth players as well. Doesn't take a lot of effort either.

Couldn't disagree more with this tbh. When I sign a 75-rated 18 year old, I can't say how his career will turn out, neither can I say how his rating will rise over the years. It's a gamble, simple as that. Granted, it's not a huge one given the price, but 100 x 300k still works out at a tidy sum for the kind of club that I was at.

"Doesn't take a lot of effort either" - again, couldn't disagree more. For some players, I actually took the time to look these guys up and get reviews before signing them, unlike most managers imo, who just search for a world star and slap in a big bid. For example, I signed Calum Chambers when he was 17 and cost about 250k, after looking him up and reading some great reviews from Southampton's Youth Team manager about how good he will become. Now he is worth like £6m and rated 85 on the game?

If it really was as effortless and simple as you imply, and these were obviously "good youth players certain to rise" then those guys would have been taken by the managers who were already there before I joined that gameworld. To suggest otherwise would be nonsense.

However those players were not taken, and probably because the managers were already happy with their immense squads.

If anything is effortless, then it would be to search 92+ rated players and just say "Falcao, right let's sign. Di Maria, I've heard of this guy, right let's sign. Tiago Silva, wow, let's sign."

For me there is no skill there whatsoever. Picking up the best players doesn't make you the best manager (not that I'm Implying that I'm the best either because I never proclaimed to be). But if I'm going to play this, then I would rather challenge myself than be lazy, just pick up the best guys and destroy everybody else.

PS It amuses me that people would think I'm more of a glory hogger for signing a bunch of randoms over a bunch of Messi's. Really have to giggle at some of these, but each to their own I guess.

Couldn't disagree more with this tbh. When I sign a 75-rated 18 year old' date=' I can't say how his career will turn out, neither can I say how his rating will rise over the years. It's a gamble, simple as that. Granted, it's not a huge one given the price, but 100 x 300k still works out at a tidy sum for the kind of club that I was at.

"Doesn't take a lot of effort either" - again, couldn't disagree more. For some players, I actually took the time to look these guys up and get reviews before signing them, unlike most managers imo, who just search for a world star and slap in a big bid. For example, I signed Calum Chambers when he was 17 and cost about 250k, after looking him up and reading some great reviews from Southampton's Youth Team manager about how good he will become. Now he is worth like £6m and rated 85 on the game?

If it really was as effortless and simple as you imply, and these were obviously "good youth players certain to rise" then those guys would have been taken by the managers who were already there before I joined that gameworld. To suggest otherwise would be nonsense.

However those players were not taken, and probably because the managers were already happy with their immense squads.

If anything is effortless, then it would be to search 92+ rated players and just say "Falcao, right let's sign. Di Maria, I've heard of this guy, right let's sign. Tiago Silva, wow, let's sign."

For me there is no skill there whatsoever. Picking up the best players doesn't make you the best manager (not that I'm Implying that I'm the best either because I never proclaimed to be). But if I'm going to play this, then I would rather challenge myself than be lazy, just pick up the best guys and destroy everybody else.

PS It amuses me that people would think I'm more of a glory hogger for signing a bunch of randoms over a bunch of Messi's. Really have to giggle at some of these, but each to their own I guess.[/quote']

Umm....no. I didn't say signing a bunch of Messis was not glory hunting. When someone signs up all the decent youth players, more than 30 or so, it ruins the game because it limits the chance for other players to find decent youth players.

And again, when you sign a bunch of simply discard the bad ones later, that is pretty much glory hunting. It's not like you sign them because you find them attractive.

Umm....no. I didn't say signing a bunch of Messis was not glory hunting. When someone signs up all the decent youth players' date=' more than 30 or so, it ruins the game because it limits the chance for other players to find decent youth players.

And again, when you sign a bunch of simply discard the bad ones later, that is pretty much glory hunting. It's not like you sign them because you find them attractive.[/quote']

I don't know how you can equate 'discarding bad youth players' to glory hunting. The whole point of investing in youth players is to try and find gems who rise rapidly (as I mentioned in the example of Chambers). The more youth players I accumulate, the better likelihood I have of finding good risers.

Hence there's no logic in keeping somebody on if they didn't progress the way that you were hoping them to. Therefore you sell them back (even if you made no profit) in order to increase your budget and help reduce wages.

"limits the chance for other players to find decent youth players." - Well, technically yes, but you have to remember that talented youth players are literally coming through every day.

Also, it's a 2 way street. Because the existing managers had been around a lot longer than me, they took the opportunities to sign Lukaku from Anderlecht (17 y/o) who I obviously would've gone for, and Oxlade-Chamberlain for 10k when he was a free agent & 16 y/o after first being added to the game. I'm not actually complaining about these examples, I'm just making a point that you need to be in there first, because if you hesitate, it's likely that a rival will come in and pinch the player from under your nose.

That is just part of the game, surely? Tottenham (IRL) took too long over signing Willian from Anzhi, so Chelsea come in and take him. What are you going to do? Claim that Chelsea bent the rules or didn't act within the spirit of the game? Nonsense.

They are just 2 or 3 examples, and I could go on forever but I don't wish to bore you any more than I have done, but hopefully you see where I'm coming from.

The user can choose to play the game however they feel, provided it is within the rules. For most, the target is trophies, and to achieve those trophies they will go about doing whatever method they feel will result in the most success, I see no problem whatsoever in this, it's part of sport in general. Personally I prefer to focus on purchasing lower rated young players with potential with the long term goal of creating a great squad that will last for a long period of time - others may prefer to purchase older, higher rated players, for shorter term success - as I said, it's completely up to the individual - whatever they enjoy doing.

Confused about your complaint about people 'buying all the 95+ guys'? Well, your GW must be very un-competitive if a manager is able to hoover up all the top players! If anyone could buy Messi's and Ronaldo's of course they are surely going to do that.

The user can choose to play the game however they feel' date=' provided it is within the rules. For most, the target is trophies, and to achieve those trophies they will go about doing whatever method they feel will result in the most success, I see no problem whatsoever in this, it's part of sport in general. Personally I prefer to focus on purchasing lower rated young players with potential with the long term goal of creating a great squad that will last for a long period of time - others may prefer to purchase older, higher rated players, for shorter term success - as I said, it's completely up to the individual - whatever they enjoy doing.

Confused about your complaint about people 'buying all the 95+ guys'? Well, your GW must be very un-competitive if a manager is able to hoover up all the top players! If anyone could buy Messi's and Ronaldo's of course they are surely going to do that.[/quote']

"The user can choose to play the game however they feel, provided it is within the rules. For most, the target is trophies, and to achieve those trophies they will go about doing whatever method they feel will result in the most success, I see no problem whatsoever in this, it's part of sport in general"

- I totally understand, but I personally don't see much fun in this. I would much rather challenge myself by taking a poorly-ranked side and outplaying the big boys, like I've done several times.

"Confused about your complaint about people 'buying all the 95+ guys'?"

- Ok, 93+. In my league of 20, the top 3 pretty much have all of those guys between them, and imo it's pathetic because it makes the league look rather one-sided, and the title always goes to 1 of those 3 and I would much rather see average squad ratings of 92/92/92/91/91/91 but obviously this would only really occur if every manager just happens to take over a club on the exact same day, before immediately going to town with the transfers :)

If you join a 100% full set up of 80 or 116 managers (EC7046 &EC7777) to name but two, then every new player that arrives, every player that ends up at external etc are all contested vigorously which makes competing in these set-ups very enjoyable whether that be with a squad with high rated players or a squad with nothing, you play against other managers rather than AI every turn which help make it much more enjoyable.

It seems like the gameworld(s) where you have been able to snap up all the young talented risers and others the top rated players must be uncompetitive and to me would seem rather boring being able to easily snap up new risers/youth at will, get yourself in a gameworld where you have to superscout/negotiate for players of all ratings before the other 79 or 115 managers get them and then you will get more enjoyment every time you sign a good young talent/top rated player etc.

You will notice in EC7777 there is a youth cup competition organized by a forumer who keeps scores, tallies top scorers etc, a similar competition is about to get underway in EC7046.

Anyway I am not a fan of Glory hunters whether that be through signing all the top rated talent or amassing a 100+ youth team of all the burgeoning talent with all the future top players.

If you join a 100% full set up of 80 or 116 managers (EC7046 &EC7777) to name but two' date=' then every new player that arrives, every player that ends up at external etc are all contested vigorously which makes competing in these set-ups very enjoyable whether that be with a squad with high rated players or a squad with nothing, you play against other managers rather than AI every turn which help make it much more enjoyable.

It seems like the gameworld(s) where you have been able to snap up all the young talented risers and others the top rated players must be uncompetitive and to me would seem rather boring being able to easily snap up new risers/youth at will, get yourself in a gameworld where you have to superscout/negotiate for players of all ratings before the other 79 or 115 managers get them and then you will get more enjoyment every time you sign a good young talent/top rated player etc.

You will notice in EC7777 there is a youth cup competition organized by a forumer who keeps scores, tallies top scorers etc, a similar competition is about to get underway in EC7046.

Anyway I am not a fan of Glory hunters whether that be through signing all the top rated talent or amassing a 100+ youth team of all the burgeoning talent with all the future top players.[/quote']

I agree with pretty much all of this. The only thing I can say is that if hypothetically I had done nothing but snap up guys like 82's who have already had a rise at some point (in this case 75 +7), and I'm 99% confident that they will rise again, then I accept the tag of glory hunter. If someone did that then yes I would frown upon it.

However when I'm only taking 75-rated guys, I really don't think that it's quite the same thing.

When you check out these types of players and explore their 'rating history', it is nearly always a blank canvas. So I have to make up for this by doing a little bit of research here and there before making a decision on whether or not the small investment would make sense.

I thought this thread would be about the high number of managers that due to them failing with their club and rather than accept it as part of the game and a challenge of trying to get better instead quit to go and manage a new club in a new GW in the hope of getting insta success to stroke their ego of thinking that they are good at the game.

Guess I was wrong :eek:

I thought this thread would be about the high number of managers that due to them failing with their club and rather than accept it as part of the game and a challenge of trying to get better instead quit to go and manage a new club in a new GW in the hope of getting insta success to stroke their ego of thinking that they are good at the game.

Guess I was wrong :eek:

I wouldn't say you're wrong; just because I didn't mention it, doesn't mean that any other points become inapplicable.

I do agree btw, it does my head in when I check on the newsfeed that a guy takes over, and then when they lose the next game, you see that they've resigned after a week.

The real glory hunters are the ones that take over an unmanaged team that is just about to win the league, play one game with them and pick up the league trophy (and a nice 10.0 towards their Manager Points total) then quit again when their work is done - why wait a whole season?

Although some of them stay put for 2 games...leaving after they've won the next season's Charity Shield as well lol

The real glory hunters are the ones that take over an unmanaged team that is just about to win the league' date=' play one game with them and pick up the league trophy (and a nice 10.0 towards their Manager Points total) then quit again when their work is done - why wait a whole season?

Although some of them stay put for 2 games...leaving after they've won the next season's Charity Shield as well lol[/quote']

lol now that really is cheeky - tbh I've yet to experience anything like that in my GW's, but I've only been playing for about 18months

The real glory hunters are the ones that take over an unmanaged team that is just about to win the league' date=' play one game with them and pick up the league trophy (and a nice 10.0 towards their Manager Points total) then quit again when their work is done - why wait a whole season?

Although some of them stay put for 2 games...leaving after they've won the next season's Charity Shield as well lol[/quote']

I've seldom seen an unmanaged team win the league or even leading it. Neither do I see an inactive team lead the league. Most of the time, the team would go all the way to win the title and from there quit at the end of the season.

I've seldom seen an unmanaged team win the league or even leading it. Neither do I see an inactive team lead the league. Most of the time' date=' the team would go all the way to win the title and from there quit at the end of the season.[/quote']

Happens all the time in GCs...for example GC300 (once advertised as "The Next Big Forum GC!" has no managers at all in :

Mexico

Argentina

Turkey

Russia

Greece

...so an unmanaged team is going to win one of these leagues this season! Take into account that there are now over 420 GCs, some with only 40 of the 400 teams managed - and that's a lot of empty leagues (I bet there's over 100 if I can be bothered to search more which I can't really lol)

First of all the thread title is quite misleading as it's not really relevant to the content of the thread. The debate that you have started and which others are debating is about how managers play the game.

The user can choose to play the game however they feel' date=' provided it is within the rules. For most, the target is trophies, and to achieve those trophies they will go about doing whatever method they feel will result in the most success, I see no problem whatsoever in this, it's part of sport in general.[/quote']

Isn't that what's great about SM? You can choose to play the game as you want. You can take over an established side and challenge for trophies and build your dream team or you can take on a lesser team and try and take them to the top and build them up as you go along. You'll also find that some people like a combination of both to give them a bit of variety in the game but whatever you choose, it'll give you a different experience.

Personally I prefer to focus on purchasing lower rated young players with potential with the long term goal of creating a great squad that will last for a long period of time - others may prefer to purchase older' date=' higher rated players, for shorter term success - as I said, it's completely up to the individual - whatever they enjoy doing.[/quote']
I would much rather challenge myself by taking a poorly-ranked side and outplaying the big boys' date=' like I've done several times.[/quote']

That's how I personally like to play the game and I did this with a very small club with an average rating of 78 and now i'd argue i've probably got one of the best sides in my Gold Championship. If I were to start again, i'd do go down this route once again. Why? Because that's the challenge that I personally enjoy.

Is it wrong to call someone a "glory hunter" because they don't chose to do this and take over an established side and can easily build their dream team? Yes, it is wrong to call them that as it's how they chose to play the game and that's the experience they want.

First of all the thread title is quite misleading as it's not really relevant to the content of the thread. The debate that you have started and which others are debating is about how managers play the game.

Isn't that what's great about SM? You can choose to play the game as you want. You can take over an established side and challenge for trophies and build your dream team or you can take on a lesser team and try and take them to the top and build them up as you go along. You'll also find that some people like a combination of both to give them a bit of variety in the game but whatever you choose' date=' it'll give you a different experience.

That's how I personally like to play the game and I did this with a very small club with an average rating of 78 and now i'd argue i've probably got one of the best sides in my Gold Championship. If I were to start again, i'd do go down this route once again. Why? Because that's the challenge that I personally enjoy.

Is it wrong to call someone a "glory hunter" because they don't chose to do this and take over an established side and can easily build their dream team? Yes, it is wrong to call them that as it's how they chose to play the game and that's the experience they want.[/quote']

My bad, I didn't realise that there was a black-and-white definition of the term "glory hunter". The reason why I applied the term "glory hunter" to the sort of attributes/tendencies that I previously mentioned, is because I believe that it's the easy, lazy way of playing the game.

Therefore I don't see this method as a true test of skill. I know there are many elements of luck too, but I think the real test of skill would obviously be to try and replicate the kind of success with 'mediocre' players, that you otherwise would have achieved with the best ones.

I quite clearly stated in my very first post that this was by no means, any sort of attempt to tell/instruct players on how to play the game in a particular way. I was just trying to make the point that I don't see any fun or any real satisfaction in this method. Fair enough you'll have amazing stats and a lot of trophies, but that's not my way. Because I tried (what I perceive to be) the easy, lazy way in the past when I first started playing the game, I feel like I was experienced enough to make a comment on these different styles.

I respect that we all have different playing styles (obviously), but I was simply giving my opinion (which I thought was allowed & encouraged), and people will disagree with that and that's totally fine.

:)

I respect that we all have different playing styles (obviously)' date=' but I was simply giving my opinion (which I thought was allowed & encouraged), and people will disagree with that and that's totally fine.

:)[/quote']

Please continue to post your thoughts, suggestions etc as they are all welcome and they'll all be debated.