Sign in to follow this  
Safir

Euro 2016

Of course I watch football but like I said Only Hungary or Iceland would be a Leicester story

I'm saying Croatia, Poland, Wales wouldn't be a Leicester type story

Poland - They found it hard to score vs N.Ireland and Ukraine, Lewandowski not scoring - they are not performing

Wales - They have Bale, proven big game winner

Well you're entitled to your opinion but I don't think anyone is expecting that Wales, Poland or Croatia to win the tournament and so if they did then it would as surprising as Leicester winning the EPL.  That is my opinion,,  

Wales have a world class player but methinks it takes more than one player to win a tournament.  By your logic then Argentina should be world champions but they aren't.  By the way this isn't Gareth Bale's breakthrough tournament.  Wales have had him in the squad for years and in most cases he never qualified for anything.  But now you are saying that all of a sudden he is a "proven big game winner" and that Wales winning the tournament wouldn't be a huge surprise.  What strange logic..

As for Poland.. this is why I asked if you are actually bothering to watch any games.  They dominated the game against NI and should have scored more.  They purposefully went defensive against Germany and got the result they were looking for.  Against Ukraine Blascscsczzzzkowski (whatever his name was) scored one of the goals of the tournament to put Ukraine to bed so how you can consider that lot a non-performance I have no idea.  Thats why I wondered if you had switched on to the female under21-s topless hockey tournament channel by mistake??

But apart from that we take it you are happy with the way things are going Vitor?? :) :) :)

Ahaha, not happy, but glad they got through, now they have another chance, but they will probably screw it up.

@vitor_mfc - you right on most things about Portugal team, this is why Ronaldo kinda struggles in International level and the Debate on who the best, No 1 takes in - Ronaldo has got clowns and jokers whilst Messi has stars in team

Last competition that we were really a good team was WC 2006, the post-golden generation has been always a disappointment. And it started when Scolari made Ronaldo the team captain, just to fill his ego. 

What an effort from the lads. I might be biased but I think we were the better team today. Great ball in from Bale left McAuley in a lose-lose situation.

Heartbroken to be out but I never expected us to ever get this far.

Proud of every single player.

N.Ireland was just the better side - Like I said about Wales, they have a big match winner

I actually thought it would go to Penalties

Not the great of matches today, but Renato Sanches is a hell of a player, the only one capable of taking the ball forward in a controlled manner. He has to start next match, and Rafa too, Nani out.

"Nani is undroppable" so says the coach

Well you're entitled to your opinion but I don't think anyone is expecting that Wales, Poland or Croatia to win the tournament and so if they did then it would as surprising as Leicester winning the EPL.  That is my opinion,,  

Wales have a world class player but methinks it takes more than one player to win a tournament.  By your logic then Argentina should be world champions but they aren't.  By the way this isn't Gareth Bale's breakthrough tournament.  Wales have had him in the squad for years and in most cases he never qualified for anything.  But now you are saying that all of a sudden he is a "proven big game winner" and that Wales winning the tournament wouldn't be a huge surprise.  What strange logic..

As for Poland.. this is why I asked if you are actually bothering to watch any games.  They dominated the game against NI and should have scored more.  They purposefully went defensive against Germany and got the result they were looking for.  Against Ukraine Blascscsczzzzkowski (whatever his name was) scored one of the goals of the tournament to put Ukraine to bed so how you can consider that lot a non-performance I have no idea.  Thats why I wondered if you had switched on to the female under21-s topless hockey tournament channel by mistake??

that what you think but I disagree

Wales - Bale has grown into proven big game match winner by help of Madrid with CL finals, of Old(Spurs days) he never had the big match experience. Argentina has more than 1 star in their side. Wales has other average players but still Bale in most games now stands out

Poland - Even against Swiss, they struggled for most of the game. Lewandowski hasn't showed up with how many goals in Germany? Milik not far behind but atleast he scored

What channel is that on???

Not the great of matches today, but Renato Sanches is a hell of a player, the only one capable of taking the ball forward in a controlled manner. He has to start next match, and Rafa too, Nani out.

I hope Ed Woodward was watching the game with big regret - Sanches is a beast of a player and he only 18, He managed to out power Rakatic, 1 of Barcelona highly rated players - How doesn't he start is amazing

Croatia deserves credit but 0 shots on target

Wright cursed the game saying Ronaldo has something more to offer

"Apparently Hazard already has more assists in Euro 2016 than he got during the whole season with Chelsea.

Always nice to come into a tournament fresh after having the season off."

quote from the Guardian.

Belgium are my favs for tournament now... fresh as daisies

(portuguese rant)

As for Sanches. Santos has no clue what he is doing despite years of experiences. He like one of those horses for courses coaches who picks players to counter the other team. Moutinho could not clear a first man with 15 corners. Ronaldo cant take free kicks thinks he can score from 50 yrds out

Rafa does wreck for 18 mnutes. Next game Adrien Silva plays his first match. Danilo in first match then dropped William Carvalho put in(guessing that was bigger player needed for that match). Veirinha in first 3 plays sh**, cant cross, cant defend- a winger what do you expect. THEN last 16 match CEDRIC SOARES starts...............,      ,,,, wft,,,,,,IS he drawing lots- feel sorry for my portuguese girlfriend.

he will be the luckiest manager on the planet or else Belgium will spank his ass- he will get fired and Portugal will get their umpteenth manager is so many years

In other news, cry baby Messi retires from international football after missing a penalty and losing another final.  Boo hoo

Messi picked up a new record - 3 straight International final losers

Going get tough, he just takes early retirement

And people called Ronaldo a cry baby - At least he's sticking with Portugal in tough times

Belgium and Germany look strong 

I think Hazard done more in the Euro's than whole season at Chelsea

With Portugal, Sanches needs to start

I can see Semi Finals as Belgium vs Portugal and Germany vs France   -- My bet might come in as I predicted Portugal vs France final

Let all go shop at Iceland now, 2 for 1 sale on England shirts, Britain leaves the EU and now out the EU football

England side needs sorting, Roy has to go, Rashford and Vardy showed some passion.

That guy is clueless, playing Wilshere, Sturridge and even Sterling, ahead of Vardy, Barkley or Rashford.

Barkley n stones got no game time, now Roy has quit.

Not surprised. Should have been axed after the WC to be honest but never mind. Just as well he has gone though, another tournament of disappointment like that and Roy would be pushing to take Mclaren's crown of being the worst ever England manager even though I didn't think such a thing would be possible ha-ha!!

Can't quite understand why Vardy and Lallana didn't start as they were clearly our best forwards. What was Hodgpot doing,,?? resting them for September's World Cup qualifier perhaps...

Iceland were good for their result though. Took their chances and seemed quite happy to sit back and soak up the pressure. They had clearly done their homework from the group games and realised that letting England dominate wasn't going to produce much of a risk.

Extremely poor finishing and final passing meant most of our chances were confined to long range hopeful efforts. Adequately summed up by the 85th minute free kick that Kane took that sailed right over everyone into the stand. Even Peter Crouch standing on Carlton Palmers shoulders wouldn't have been able to reach that.

So, the end to a rather disappointing and fruitless reign finally arrives. Roy's tenure as manager can be nicely summed up by the same thing my son's teacher wrote on his end of school report last week...

"C+. A pleasant lad who tries hard. However his results should have been a whole lot better".

2018 WC Line-up -

Butland

Walker - Dier - Smalling - Shaw

Baker - Loftus Cheek - Alli

Welbeck - Kane - Rashford

You read it here first!

Many congratulations to Iceland, they fully deserve to have won, not just because of last night, but because of what they have done since day 1 of the Euros.

At the end of the day England didn't prepare enough, and every single player decided to have their worst ever England games all at one time.

Hart & Kane should be ashamed of themselves, with Woy level pegging with them.

Time to enjoy the rest of the tournament now England are out, because other than Sturridge's goal vs Wales I haven't enjoyed watching England one bit.

Loving that my dark horses Italy tore Spain a new one!

2018 WC Line-up -

Butland

Walker - Dier - Smalling - Shaw

Baker - Loftus Cheek - Alli

Welbeck - Kane - Rashford

You read it here first!

Many congratulations to Iceland, they fully deserve to have won, not just because of last night, but because of what they have done since day 1 of the Euros.

At the end of the day England didn't prepare enough, and every single player decided to have their worst ever England games all at one time.

Hart & Kane should be ashamed of themselves, with Woy level pegging with them.

Time to enjoy the rest of the tournament now England are out, because other than Sturridge's goal vs Wales I haven't enjoyed watching England one bit.

Loving that my dark horses Italy tore Spain a new one!

I think that some of the names like Barkley, Borthwick-Jackson, Chambers, Jordan Ibe, Stones, Sterling might be in that line up.

Most were laughing at Portugal for drawing with Iceland, well, some aren't laughing now, and until this tournament is over there will be some crying, France is next.

I agree with basically everything Vítor and jgos2 said.

Portugal is probs still figuring out how they beat Croatia.

Really bad luck for Croatia, they did more than us to win.

Shocked Iceland knocked out England.

I've always said England had some young talents, but they have the same problem as Portugal: they have no coach.

England really needed an assertive playmaker yesterday - they didn't quite know what to do with the ball.

Iceland tho... wow!

They have a population of 340k if I'm not mistaken.

They already drew against Portugal and beat England.

I have nothing against England, but you gotta love such an underdog.

I even sympathised with them after they drew against Portugal, then Ronaldo opened his mouth and crap came out.

Of course Iceland were gonna celebrate a draw against us - we have 30+times their population.

If I had to bet now, I'd say the final is gonna be Belgium-Germany.

And it would likely be an entertaining match to watch.

Also, massive congrats to Chile!

They're a joy to watch and a real team.

They'd tear Portugal a new one if they faced us right now.

England Manager needs to take the form players to the tournament and not their favourites. Need to be rule introduced that if you want a place in the squad, you must be involved in half of the Club season matches or play at least 1,500 minutes - no beach sitting like Sterling, Delph or play 114 minutes like Wilshere

England expectations so high, they ain't the best side, they need to stop having an egos

Still predicting France vs Portugal final

Croatia-Portugal was one of the worst games i have ever seen in my life. It was like watching a 3rd tier greek league match. I root for Fernando Santos normally, but i pledged during the match to support fanatically Poland over whoever of those 2 progressed, due to the gruesome thing i watched. ...and i'm an Italian tactical kind of football lover, i like Atletico Madrid over barcelona style etc. But this, man...this was infuriating to watch. No hero defence, no counter, no chances, no plan, nothing, just 22 guys scattered not doing anything significant for 114 minutes...and the world just watched an empty space. Yikes. Sorry Fernando, you progressed, but i can't man, just can't after that. Same would go for Croatia.

Anyway, Iceland is a country i like and admire very much in general. And their team is doing wonders, they're so good.. and with this little population, what an achievement..

But the win over England is not a surprise. Sorry but why,lord, why the english consider themselves a potential winner of tournaments, why everyone thinks they're a big team? Based on the-indeed-most entertaining league in the world? This does not matter in international football, it is irrelevant. England like it or not, is laughable internationally, you wonder how they're gonna mess up each time. And something i didn't even know until today..they have NEVER E V E R won a single knock-out match in the Euro. It's true. They have progressed just ONE time in 1996, and that was on penalties. They have never won a knock-out game. I mean come on.. If they knew their true potential, like progressing from the group phase each time, well that should be considered a great success for them. And they won't be heartbroken every time over unrealistic expectations they can never achieve. But they can celebrate. Just be realistic at some point, like every other country who understand their potentials, and match their expectations accordingly.

Well now, way to go Italy! Revenge on Spain, and now Germany. Maybe you don't know that the 2 teams has faced 8 times in tournaments, and Germany has 0 wins. 0. Of course these kind of history stuff break at some point, but i'm not sure at all this is the time that'll happen. Italy is far stronger than expected, in fact one of the 2 best teams until now(with France), and have the best manager in the tournament. So let's see, it's a derby.