Sign in to follow this  
Safir

Euro 2016

Well done France for winning the Euro's early - If they can't win vs a team with no Ronaldo then the gods must be Portugal fans or France needs their heads testing

At least Ronaldo can console himself that he's not one incorrectly filled tax return away from a jail term

Well done France for winning the Euro's early - If they can't win vs a team with no Ronaldo then the gods must be Portugal fans or France needs their heads testing

At least Ronaldo can console himself that he's not one incorrectly filled tax return away from a jail term

I somehow still believe in Portugal.

Congrats Pedro!

I'm very happy for Fernando Santos above all!

I also remember saying in this forum that Eder is a bad player, i did not know him, but he was great today. And oh my god, what a goal that was!

Although if my country would lose in such a manner in a final, with the chances and especially with the 90th minute chance.. i would be crying for days probably...

Thank you very much, Rahul and Petros!

Never in a million years did I think Portugal would win Euro 2016.

This is a transitional group of players: oldies like Ricardo Carvalho, Pepe, Quaresma, Fonte and even Ronaldo; then youngsters like João Mário, Renato, Guerreiro and André Gomes.

I believed that MAYBE we could win Euro 2020 or Euro 2024.

I don't believe Portugal will ever win a WC, coz FIFA is considerably more corrupt than UEFA.

I still don't think Santos is an extraordinary coach - I knew he was competent, but he's just outdone himself.

He bet on a more defensive approach to most matches, knowing that this Portuguese squad wasn't that good.

I said to my cousin, the other day (before the quarterfinals), that there was only one way Portugal could win the trophy.

It would be like Greece did in 2004: a whole lot of teamwork and sacrifice, a whole lot of luck and cool heads.

It's kinda like tennis - when a player is struggling really hard to win, but then gets over the hump, they start believing it's possible.

The group stage was Portugal's hump.

Portugal is historically tough in knockout stages, but we were incredibly lucky this time around, especially with the draw.

We dodged sides like Germany, Spain or Belgium, who I think would have beaten us.

In 2004 we played terrificly and didn't win.

In this Euro, we played poorly and we won.

When I really started believing was after we eliminated Croatia.

Before the semis, I told my friends and family: "I have a feeling that, if Portugal faces Germany in the final, we'll lose. But I think that, if we play France, we're gonna win".

Germany plays at a higher tempo than France and they're a better side overall.

France is more or less as good as Portugal nowadays (I'd say they're a bit better than us, when they have their best players available), but I had a feeling that the home factor was gonna mess with their heads.

They'd face a team that they considered weaker and would probably think they had the "obligation" of beating us.

Some players don't know how to deal with this.

Plus, after the incredibly bumpy road to the final, Portugal players must have been really confident that this was gonna be their time.

And many players get motivated playing in a hostile environment, against the home team.

All this + the French - mainly the press - constantly making fun of us and saying we didn't stand a chance... well, I guess our players just got even more motivated.

And, after Ronaldo was subbed, I told my family: "I still reckon we're gonna win this. I bet the other players are gonna unite even more now".

After 2004 we needed this.

But I'm not sure if I'm happier with this Euro trophy than with Braga's recent cup win.  :P

God, I'm so not used to silverware, then I get 2 trophies in a row!  :eek:

I'm fully aware 2016 is gonna be the happiest footballing year of my entire life.

At least I won't die before seeing Portugal win a major tournament.  :)

And some of these players, wow...

Pepe was a monster during the entire tournament and, since he was fielded, Fonte was a boss.

I don't even have words for Raphael Guerreiro...

The kid is even better than I thought - what a fullback the lad is gonna turn out to be!

João Mário is such a warrior and also has good feet, not to mention he's very level-headed.

Cédric was a good surprise: I liked his offensive skills, but I wasn't too sure about his defensive abilities.

Rui Patrício was a monster in this final and he made that incredible save vs Poland, in the penalty shootout.

Renato Sanches just proved he's almost as strong mentally as he's physically. And he has good feet too.

Also, very happy for Ronaldo, who carried Portugal's NT during several years.

I'm not big on the Messi/Ronaldo debate, but this is quite funny.

The Euro is usually much tougher to win than Copa América.

You normally have sides like Germany, Spain, Italy, France, England, Holland and now Belgium and even Croatia to some extent.

In Copa América, Argentina usually has no more than 1 team, more or less on the same level as them - Brazil.

Uruguay are good, Colombia too and now Chile is playing brilliantly.

But with Argentina, Messi had a much bigger chance at winning silverware than Ronaldo did with Portugal.

Yet the former has retired from international football empty handed, while the latter has just won 1 of the toughest NT competitions in world football.

I still would have liked for Messi to try another major league, like the Prem, where I think he'd be physically overwhelmed.

Who the hell cares tho?  :D

Not worried about individual awards.

I'm just happy that Portugal will no longer be seen as that bunch of losers who use to get far in major comps, but never win anything.

Congrats Pedro, happy for you.

I think in the end Portugal just wanted it so much more than France. The image of Pepe throwing up after the final whistle speaks volumes to the effort that not only he but the rest of the team put in during the match. Never been a huge fan of Pepe due to his penchant for play acting but his performance tonight and putting in a proper warriors effort has made me respect him.

For all the rubbish written about Ronaldo it was quite clear when he got injured how much his team mates value him. I've never seen so many players come to a team mate to console/check up on before. You also would have had to have had a heart of stone not to feel a tinge of sorrow for him when he was so devastated at getting injured in the final.

Eder's goal was absolute quality, the strength to hold of and separate the defenders from him was a real throw back to a true center forward. Not to mention the finish it self, worthy of any final win.

Vamos Là Portugal

Portugal victory was even more impressive taking into account that everything was set to France to win. From Payet's fault over Ronaldo that wasn't even fault, from other discrepancies in the referee criteria. The Eiffel tower didn't light up in the winner colors and according to some reports Portuguese fans were prohibited by authorities from celebrate in the streets of Paris. French are sore losers, always were, their arrogance, their running mouths were bigger than their commitment on the football field and this time they didn't got what they didn't deserve.

Referee's are there to insure that physical integrity of all players are not threatened, but when it comes to Portugal and Ronaldo, they do a poor job. It's not the first time that Ronaldo is taken down early in the game by some really awful tackle and the perpetrator basically gets away with it (Portugal vs Netherlands Euro 2004). Payet actions were clearly premeditated and he should be punished for it, but i doubt there will be further inquiries. But i have no doubts that if that fault was let's say, Pepe on Griezmann, Clattenburg's intervention would be very different.

Ronaldo has poor oldies and young potential and somehow win the Euro's and Ronaldo had to drag Portugal to the finals. Messi has superstars surrounding him and can't win - shows who's the better player is all along.

Payet challenge on Ronaldo was bad but It happens in football and I do think its unfair to target Payet Imo.

Portugal won't win anything in a long time as Defence is over 30 and I don't see any upcoming Def but Ronaldo can carry on for 8-10 more yrs

That moth who was on Ronaldo is being lined up for a 50mil move to china

Ronaldo has poor oldies and young potential and somehow win the Euro's and Ronaldo had to drag Portugal to the finals. Messi has superstars surrounding him and can't win - shows who's the better player is all along.

Payet challenge on Ronaldo was bad but It happens in football and I do think its unfair to target Payet Imo.

Portugal won't win anything in a long time as Defence is over 30 and I don't see any upcoming Def but Ronaldo can carry on for 8-10 more yrs

That moth who was on Ronaldo is being lined up for a 50mil move to china

Who are you to say Portugal won't win anything again in a long time? Look, i don't expect us to win too, but i certainly won rule us out yet.

Players rise everyday, and if you knew the current crop that Portugal has and the people who are behind working with them, you wouldn't say that. Portugal winning two major tournaments in one year Euro Sub-17 2016 and now the Euro 2016 is not a coincidence. We may not have all the flashy hyped players that Germany, France, Belgium and England has, and if you asked around before the tournament people tipped Coman, Sané or even Dele Alli as the probable young player of the tournament ahead of Sanches, but it wasn't the case, was it?

By the way, the central defenders are over 30, not the defense itself and they may have one more Major tournament in them. And we will surely have two good replacements when they retire. The future looks more bright for A Seleção than most seem to think.

Ronaldo has been dragging through an abysmal Portugal side for a decade. Now the new guys can start sharing responsibility 

It's funny his career has been cushioned between two golden Portuguese generations but his peak was all spent with a garbage side

Ronaldo has been dragging through an abysmal Portugal side for a decade. Now the new guys can start sharing responsibility 

It's funny his career has been cushioned between two golden Portuguese generations but his peak was all spent with a garbage side

Anyone that says Portugal team for the last 10 years was abysmal and full of garbage players just doesn't know anything else what to say about them and probably doesn't know the team or the players and is just running their mouth. Sure, most weren't as good as the Portugal standard most of us are used to and some weren't as good as they though they were, but they were always good players to choose from, most of the problem came from the rotten apples within the institution and the NT coaches, Queiroz and Bento, that never seemed to know what they were doing and always making weird choices when it came to choosing the players.

Santos isn't the best of coaches, but isn't that bad either, i have mixed feelings about his choices, but he got us through. The thing is, that it should not have been that difficult, his experimentation on the group stage should had been done earlier, and of course Portugal should play with a striker, playing only with wingers/forwards is not the best way for Portugal play their best football.

It's funny how both Portugease guys here don't think high of Fernando Santos. Even after winning the Euro for first time in history, being an outsider, and even if he has a record of 0 losses with Portugal national team. Almost everywhere he goes he makes wonders with crap incredients, always overperforming by far, yet due to his defensive, realistic and not beautiful style of play, people always demand more. I think it's probably his physique and personal style too, that people don't seem to respect very much.
As for this Euro he should "take it to his home" plain and simple. This trophy is his accomplishment alone by 90% at least.

Who are you to say Portugal won't win anything again in a long time? Look, i don't expect us to win too, but i certainly won rule us out yet.

Players rise everyday, and if you knew the current crop that Portugal has and the people who are behind working with them, you wouldn't say that. Portugal winning two major tournaments in one year Euro Sub-17 2016 and now the Euro 2016 is not a coincidence. We may not have all the flashy hyped players that Germany, France, Belgium and England has, and if you asked around before the tournament people tipped Coman, Sané or even Dele Alli as the probable young player of the tournament ahead of Sanches, but it wasn't the case, was it?

By the way, the central defenders are over 30, not the defense itself and they may have one more Major tournament in them. And we will surely have two good replacements when they retire. The future looks more bright for A Seleção than most seem to think.

Remember this is Talentsearcher you are talking to mate. He obviously thinks no defender is successful over the age of 30 (Maldini, Chiellini, Nesta, Cannavaro, Terry, Ferdinand, Vidic, Puyol, Thuram, Alves etc etc yadayadayada). & also clearly knows nothing outside of Utd (some would argue nothing about Utd too).

I think the future is very interesting for Portugal.

Andre Gomes, Jaio Mario, Bernardo Silva, William Carvalho, Cedric, Guerriero, Renato Sanches, Goncalo Guedes, Danilo, Paulo Oliviera, Rafa Silva, Ruben Neves. Those players mixed with the experience of the older ones should be seen as the perfect international recipe.

Anyone that says Portugal team for the last 10 years was abysmal and full of garbage players just doesn't know anything else what to say about them and probably doesn't know the team or the players and is just running their mouth. Sure, most weren't as good as the Portugal standard most of us are used to and some weren't as good as they though they were, but they were always good players to choose from, most of the problem came from the rotten apples within the institution and the NT coaches, Queiroz and Bento, that never seemed to know what they were doing and always making weird choices when it came to choosing the players.

Santos isn't the best of coaches, but isn't that bad either, i have mixed feelings about his choices, but he got us through. The thing is, that it should not have been that difficult, his experimentation on the group stage should had been done earlier, and of course Portugal should play with a striker, playing only with wingers/forwards is not the best way for Portugal play their best football.

Under that narrative about 15 countries have good players to choose from 

We're talking about true quality teams, not teams where Nani is a key player 

Everyone knows Ronaldo is the only talent who stood out since the previous golden generation. Where was another guy like Figo in the last 12 years? Now with the new generation there are others who can compete in global clout 

It's funny how both Portugease guys here don't think high of Fernando Santos. Even after winning the Euro for first time in history, being an outsider, and even if he has a record of 0 losses with Portugal national team. Almost everywhere he goes he makes wonders with crap incredients, always overperforming by far, yet due to his defensive, realistic and not beautiful style of play, people always demand more. I think it's probably his physique and personal style too, that people don't seem to respect very much.

As for this Euro he should "take it to his home" plain and simple. This trophy is his accomplishment alone by 90% at least.

You are right, he did it, but i don't really like him since his Benfica days.

Under that narrative about 15 countries have good players to choose from 

We're talking about true quality teams, not teams where Nani is a key player 

Everyone knows Ronaldo is the only talent who stood out since the previous golden generation. Where was another guy like Figo in the last 12 years? Now with the new generation there are others who can compete in global clout 

Yes, but he is Ronaldo, he would standout everywhere and would make most players in most NT seem crappy.

Besides Germany, Spain and Netherlands, what other "big" NT didin't have a garbage 10 year or so span? England, France, Italy (after their win in 2006)? Especially France, what have they done besides giving headlines for the worst reasons, getting into the 2010 WC in the worst possible manner (a cheat goal architected by Henry) so they go there and be disrespectful towards each other, their manager and the whole FFF really.

From all the NT's in the Tournament, France was the one that least deserved the trophy, and i am so darn Happy that we won it from them, fair and square.

They above all, spent the entire tournament bad mouthing Portugal, like they were doing such great games or something, and then, after the loss, they continued with their crap and even became ridiculous to the point of petitioning for a rematch, Ahahahah.

Yes, but he is Ronaldo, he would standout everywhere and would make most players in most NT seem crappy.

Besides Germany, Spain and Netherlands, what other "big" NT didin't have a garbage 10 year or so span? England, France, Italy (after their win in 2006)? Especially France, what have they done besides giving headlines for the worst reasons, getting into the 2010 WC in the worst possible manner (a cheat goal architected by Henry) so they go there and be disrespectful towards each other, their manager and the whole FFF really.

From all the NT's in the Tournament, France was the one that least deserved the trophy, and i am so darn Happy that we won it from them, fair and square.

They above all, spent the entire tournament bad mouthing Portugal, like they were doing such great games or something, and then, after the loss, they continued with their crap and even became ridiculous to the point of petitioning for a rematch, Ahahahah.

Portugal is not known for great tactics or team play like Italy though. England is anemic. France? Up and down, and mostly down. 

I actually rated Renato Sanches above them players - If you seen how many posted saying I hope Ed Wodward watching etc

IMO Portugal won't win nothing as I see no upcoming CB, yes there been old great defenders in the past but surely Portugal can have Pepe who be 35 and Fonte 34, plus people are forgetting u missed Coentrao

Portugal may have won under 17 tournament, who says they will turn out top players, look at Bojan - 16/17 he had a bright future but nothing happened

Portugal hasn't had the best of Players since Figo(2004) etc, they had some decent but seriously they did and still do have some garbage players IMO

Euro 2008 - Garbage of Simao, Bosingwa, Hugo Almeida, Meireles, Quaresma, Nani

WC 2010 - Garbage of Danny, Liedson, Simao,Hugo Almeida , Meireles, Eduardo

Euro 2012 - Garbage of Hélder Postiga, Silvestre Varela, Nani, Hugo Almeida, Meireles, Miguel Veloso

WC 2014 - Garbage of Hélder Postiga, Nani, Meireles

Euro 2016 - Garbage of Nani, Quaresma, Moutinho, Bruno Alves

Throughout All them Tournaments there has been no Stars except Ronaldo

This is all my opinions

Remember this is Talentsearcher you are talking to mate. He obviously thinks no defender is successful over the age of 30 (Maldini, Chiellini, Nesta, Cannavaro, Terry, Ferdinand, Vidic, Puyol, Thuram, Alves etc etc yadayadayada). & also clearly knows nothing outside of Utd (some would argue nothing about Utd too).

I think the future is very interesting for Portugal.

Andre Gomes, Jaio Mario, Bernardo Silva, William Carvalho, Cedric, Guerriero, Renato Sanches, Goncalo Guedes, Danilo, Paulo Oliviera, Rafa Silva, Ruben Neves. Those players mixed with the experience of the older ones should be seen as the perfect international recipe.

Ashtini, the players you mention - (Maldini, Chiellini, Nesta, Cannavaro, Terry, Ferdinand, Vidic, Puyol, Thuram, Alves) they all have something Fonte, Alves, Carvalho haven't got, they all in their 30's still played in top level clubs whereas them 3 Portugal players don't

Future could be bright for most of the players you name but the worry for Portugal fans has to be the Centre back area and I don't see any CB upcoming