Sign in to follow this  
Safir

Euro 2016

Hope so. Never seen us reach a major tournament in my life.

I think I'll have to book a trip to France!

Jaja, opening game, historic event and all that!

And everyone is definitely still in a good mood the first game since the country can't be knocked out yet :D

I am so not looking foward to the Euro 16... Italy is such a poor team' date=' full of dim-witted half players and veterans who obviously dont give a fudge anymore and are there just because they are obliged to be, to preserve their image...[/quote']

Blimey, it looks like you're describing Portugal! :eek:

At least this time, we probably won't need the playoff to qualify... :o

Portugal's NT coaches have always been so bloody conservative!

They're always using oldies, that have more "name" than quality. One of them is Veloso, who actually scored the winner vs Albania.

We play awfully - if it weren't for Ronaldo, we would have missed at least 1 big competition from the last 4.

For almost a decade we've had no playmaker.

Now we have 1 (Bernardo Silva, who has sick talent) and the freakin' coach puts him at RW for Christ's sake! :mad:

At least he played Danilo yesterday...

We have crap like Nani, Eliseu or Veloso starting. :/

When we have no injuries or suspensions, I'd play: Lopes, Cédric, Pepe, Paulo Oliveira, Coentrão, William, Moutunho, João Mário, Vieirinha, Bernardo and Ronaldo.

And I'd be gutted to leave guys like André Gomes or Adrien on the bench.

Yeah, keep the deadwood, I'm sure we'll do great in the Euro... :(

EDIT: there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Euro will either go to Germany or Spain.

I've actually been watching a lot of the games

Was in fact gonna come here and ask about how the Northern Ireland game was going for some betting tips

Put quite a lot of money on Switzerland not winning...wasn't really scared of Shaqiri (overrated) or midfield (big names but performance was extremely meh) and their striker was complete crap (Drmic, guaranteed to not score). Was very worried about Liechtensteiner though and especially early second half when they started pushing him up every time. Corners worried me too. Was worried too when Drmic was subbed off for a young guy whose face made him look like he might be a fast guy...I was afraid he'd run past Cahill who's been crap early season. Cahill and Clyne were complete crap (knew it the whole time and almost lost me the money if the offside wasn't called) but had lots of faith in Shaw and Smalling being defensive monsters, especially Smalling. Hart looked good too.

England looked kind of like they weren't creating anything but I always thought you just needed Sterling on the ball for a bit and he'd make something happen. I swear the kid is so underrated by the public (if De Bruyne costs 60m or something, Sterling has to cost at least 1.5x his price, never mind Anthony Martial and all that insanity...anyways, lol, back to the game...). Was glad that Kane came in too since he made a nice move to score against San Marino which convinced me that he might make something happen too (lost me a lot of money in that particular game scoring, Kane and Walcott grrrrr). Big celebrations on both the Kane goal and the penalty converted by Rooney (big bets on both occasions on Swiss not winning at nil-nil or drawing at one-nil)

Russia looked complete crap today early on and I was shocked they managed to score so many. Was gonna put lots of money on them winning but watched them for a few minutes and said no way in hell I'm putting my faith on these idiots.

Anyways, lots of rambling in my adrenaline high hah

--

Sorry didn't watch Portugal though since Portugal is always so meh...a favorite that I can't bet against because of Cristiano but kind of sucks tbh lol...sry Pedro

As for Northern Ireland, that Chris Baird red card was ridiculous, anyways, came back so all good...sorry didn't watch the game either since I was sweating my bets on Germany (probably a bad idea so I got out quick) and Finland (good idea) games, but was interested in the game in a non-betting way (rare, hah!) so saw the highlights. Really happy for Northern Ireland

Not really Euro, but did anyone see the ridiculous pitch Venezuela and Panama were playing on? Some rainy dump piece, with huge puddles in the middle of the pitch and the ball just getting stuck mid-motion. Ridiculous that semi-official games are played on that kind of crap.

Not really Euro' date=' but did anyone see the ridiculous pitch Venezuela and Panama were playing on? Some rainy dump piece, with huge puddles in the middle of the pitch and the ball just getting stuck mid-motion. Ridiculous that semi-official games are played on that kind of crap.[/quote']

No need to apologise, mate - only an idiot would say we don't suck.

Awful how we play (ten players looking for Ronaldo, so they can pass him the ball).

Yeah, pretty unpredictable playing style... :o

Our under 21s - who simply werem't European champions, because they couldn't score pens - put the senior team to shame.

They play like a unit (so much talent and teamwork there), they fight for every ball and they're a joy to watch.

I've said it countless times in this forum: the reintroduction of B sides saved Portugal's youth football.

Now these lads between 18 and 23 years old are so good, but our bloody NT coaches always invite their old buddies, some of them barely play in their mediocre clubs.

As for that pitch, I haven't seen it.

But I remember this Champions League match (Artmedia-Porto), where the pitch looked like a land where you farm potatoes.

The Europa League also brings us some awesome swamp matches, now and then.

UEFA is a farce: they're freakin' contradictory, for instance.

They don't let teams play in their own stadium, because the capacity is too low.

Then you watch the match and the "borrowed" stadium is 90% empty...

Most of those small clubs have good pitches.

I remember this Bosnia-Portugal playoff match (where the Bosnian football federation deliberately chose this stadium with a terrible pitch, because our players were technically better than theirs).

Besides, their players were used to it.

They had a perfectly good pitch in a Sarajevo stadium, but UEFA gave them the thumbs up anyway.

​Sometimes they complain about okay pitches and ignore poor ones.

What's new, eh? :P

No need to apologise' date=' mate - only an idiot would say we don't suck.

Awful how we play (ten players looking for Ronaldo, so they can pass him the ball).

Yeah, pretty unpredictable playing style... :o

Our under 21s - who simply werem't European champions, because they couldn't score pens - put the senior team to shame.

They play like a unit (so much talent and teamwork there), they fight for every ball and they're a joy to watch.

I've said it countless times in this forum: the reintroduction of B sides saved Portugal's youth football.

Now these lads between 18 and 23 years old are so good, but our bloody NT coaches always invite their old buddies, some of them barely play in their mediocre clubs.

As for that pitch, I haven't seen it.

But I remember this Champions League match (Artmedia-Porto), where the pitch looked like a land where you farm potatoes.

The Europa League also brings us some awesome swamp matches, now and then.

UEFA is a farce: they're freakin' contradictory, for instance.

They don't let teams play in their own stadium, because the capacity is too low.

Then you watch the match and the "borrowed" stadium is 90% empty...

Most of those small clubs have good pitches.

I remember this Bosnia-Portugal playoff match (where the Bosnian football federation deliberately chose this stadium with a terrible pitch, because our players were technically better than theirs).

Besides, their players were used to it.

They had a perfectly good pitch in a Sarajevo stadium, but UEFA gave them the thumbs up anyway.

​Sometimes they complain about okay pitches and ignore poor ones.

What's new, eh? :P[/quote']

You need a Portugal youth side to qualify for the Euros :D But no really idk what you can do, I'm assuming public pressure doesn't work in Portugal the way it would in England

What you described is ridiculous

But oh well Bosnia has Dzeko who they can lump balls to, Portugal only has/had Almeida who misses open net headers :D

You need a Portugal youth side to qualify for the Euros :D But no really idk what you can do' date=' I'm assuming public pressure doesn't work in Portugal the way it would in England

What you described is ridiculous

But oh well Bosnia has Dzeko who they can lump balls to, Portugal only has/had Almeida who misses open net headers :D

[/quote']

Yeah mate, but what I care mostly about is senior football.

Not that Portugal is ever gonna win a WC (we ain't rich and we don't have many inhabitants).

We ain't lucrative for FIFA; just look at 2006 - we came a bit close to winning the WC, so they had to rob us against France.

I guarantee you that France can put incomparably more people inside a German stadium than Portugal is able to do.

They're much richer and much more numerous than we are.

The WC winning fans love to buy souvenirs and merchandise related to competition.

In 2006, Italy won, but there's still a bunch of them.

Why do you think that, since football became professional and an extremely lucrative industry, all the national teams that made the WC final either belonged to rich countries, nations with lots of inhabitants or both?

To prove the above, you can visit Youtube and type "marc batta+rui costa" - I've been watching football for over 20 years and I've never seen anything like it.

It was a 98 WC qualifying match.

If Portugal had won, we would have directly qualified for the WC and Germany would be out or make the playoff - I'm almost positive it's the former, but I ain't sure.

We were completely controlling that match, after we scored - I was just a kid, but I remember it quite well.

We were down to 10 and the team got very disturbed with the situation.

Germany eventually equalised.

Another example is when the Republic of Ireland got their place in the 2010 WC taken from them, so France could qualify.

UEFA is still less corrupt than FIFA, so we can occasionally see countries like Portugal, the Czech Republic and Greece reaching finals or winning the Euro.

I sympathise with countries like Bosnia tho - they were ravaged by war and most of its population is so poor. :(

Still, this is sport and therefore not that important.

Besides, you like to have everyone obeying the same rules, so the competition is as fair as possible. :)

Almeida, ahhh... I almost forgot we once had that techical prodigy in a Portugal shirt! :eek:

He's still delighting some lucky club's fans with his magic bricks... er... I mean "feet". :P

Yeah mate' date=' but what I care mostly about is senior football.

Not that Portugal is ever gonna win a WC (we ain't rich and we don't have many inhabitants).

We ain't lucrative for FIFA; just look at 2006 - we came a bit close to winning the WC, so they had to rob us against France.

I guarantee you that France can put incomparably more people inside a German stadium than Portugal is able to do.

They're much richer and much more numerous than we are.

The WC winning fans love to buy souvenirs and merchandise related to competition.

In 2006, Italy won, but there's still a bunch of them.

Why do you think that, since football became professional and an extremely lucrative industry, all the national teams that made the WC final either belonged to rich countries, nations with lots of inhabitants or both?

To prove the above, you can visit Youtube and type "marc batta+rui costa" - I've been watching football for over 20 years and I've never seen anything like it.

It was a 98 WC qualifying match.

If Portugal had won, we would have directly qualified for the WC and Germany would be out or make the playoff - I'm almost positive it's the former, but I ain't sure.

We were completely controlling that match, after we scored - I was just a kid, but I remember it quite well.

We were down to 10 and the team got very disturbed with the situation.

Germany eventually equalised.

Another example is when the Republic of Ireland was pushed out of the 2010 WC, so France could qualify.

UEFA is still less corrupt than FIFA, so we can occasionally see countries like Portugal, the Czech Republic and Greece reaching finals or winning the Euro.

I sympathise with countries like Bosnia tho - they were ravaged by war and most of its population is so poor. :(

Still, this is sport and therefore not that important.

Besides, you like to have everyone obeying the same rules, so the competition is as fair as possible. :)

Almeida, ahhh... I almost forgot we had that techical prodigy in a Portugal shirt! :eek:

He's still delighting some lucky club's fans with his magic bricks... er... I mean "feet". :P[/quote']

I meant you need a separate U23 Portugal side competing in the Euros and kicking the senior side's ass :D

I meant you need a separate U23 Portugal side competing in the Euros and kicking the senior side's ass :D

Dude, where do I sign? :D

They could play against our seniors or the other national teams', either one is fine by me.

We could even be knocked out in the group stage.

But at least I know I'd watch some quality football, seeing lads that play as a team and give it all defensively.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid Nani, Eliseu, Veloso and co. ain't going anywhere in the near future... :o

Gz Allan

For a moment we had hope too, up 1-0 against romania and faroes up against hungary. Romania had 95% possession but we probably had 5 chances to score the second in a 10 minute period (literally a guy with a free shot from nearly point blank range). Shocking defenders romania had

Wow, Holland not qualifying for a 24 team Euro is quite embarassing. :o

Maybe this will be the time they'll realise you gotta know how to defend.

Greece finishing bottom in the most abysmal UEFA qualifying group, I've ever seen, is even more embarassing imo. :eek:

You are right myfriend (just saw that). As embarassing as it can get. The group was laughable to qualify as 2 top team, or even 3rd to the play-ofs. Instead of that, we lost 2 times from Faroe Islands, and finished last. There was much fuss about all this here. The reasons? The Football Federation. It was always corrupt, but when they signed Rehagel, he was not the best coach at an old age, but he would do as he wanted and listened to fkuking noone else. They couldn't control him, and the results were phenomenal to even touch him (Euro 2004 obviously, and also 10 years of success, and getting results like the big boys. I know not pleasant footie to watch though). Then Santos was almost the same. He did what he wanted to do and not listening to anyone, he already knew how Greece works. So again success in Euro 2012(last 8) and WC14(last 16, almost in 8, damn you Keylor Navas! Damn you forever!!!).

Then the Federation changed presidents, getting us 2 even more corrupted(i don't even know who of all of them that we've seen is the worst, it's insane), that all they care about in football is the success of Olympiakos. I mean we signed Ranieri (who now wins Premier with Leicester!!) and he was dreadful, as everyone was getting on his mind, on which players to call and play, Olympiakos interfered wanting his players to play and show, so that he can continue selling with high price mediocre players, and wanting out players from other teams, especially the other top ones, causing fights between players and rebellions. 2-3 more coaches in a single session, so eventually the team was broken, blaming coaches, blaming players, the very strong bond between the players was lost, so was the faith, going together with top class players retiring, and the team was finally a circus, inside the pitch and outside of it also. Congrats Olympiakos! Braking the only football thing inthe country that was top-class, so that you have your ways, as if tearing apart the championship for 20 years and getting the CL money every year was not enough. I mean finishing last on this group, and losing 2 times from Faroe is a very hard accomplishment to achieve!

That is the analysis. Now the Euro without Greece, without even Holland, and with so many teams that are not exactly cool, it is a mystery on what we'll see. I guess the important games will be almost solely in the knock-outs. Good luck to Italy and Zlatan! :D

You are right myfriend (just saw that). As embarassing as it can get. The group was laughable to qualify as 2 top team, or even 3rd to the play-ofs. Instead of that, we lost 2 times from Faroe Islands, and finished last. There was much fuss about all this here. The reasons? The Football Federation. It was always corrupt, but when they signed Rehagel, he was not the best coach at an old age, but he would do as he wanted and listened to fkuking noone else. They couldn't control him, and the results were phenomenal to even touch him (Euro 2004 obviously, and also 10 years of success, and getting results like the big boys. I know not pleasant footie to watch though). Then Santos was almost the same. He did what he wanted to do and not listening to anyone, he already knew how Greece works. So again success in Euro 2012(last 8) and WC14(last 16, almost in 8, damn you Keylor Navas! Damn you forever!!!).

Then the Federation changed presidents, getting us 2 even more corrupted(i don't even know who of all of them that we've seen is the worst, it's insane), that all they care about in football is the success of Olympiakos. I mean we signed Ranieri (who now wins Premier with Leicester!!) and he was dreadful, as everyone was getting on his mind, on which players to call and play, Olympiakos interfered wanting his players to play and show, so that he can continue selling with high price mediocre players, and wanting out players from other teams, especially the other top ones, causing fights between players and rebellions. 2-3 more coaches in a single session, so eventually the team was broken, blaming coaches, blaming players, the very strong bond between the players was lost, so was the faith, going together with top class players retiring, and the team was finally a circus, inside the pitch and outside of it also. Congrats Olympiakos! Braking the only football thing inthe country that was top-class, so that you have your ways, as if tearing apart the championship for 20 years and getting the CL money every year was not enough. I mean finishing last on this group, and losing 2 times from Faroe is a very hard accomplishment to achieve!

That is the analysis. Now the Euro without Greece, without even Holland, and with so many teams that are not exactly cool, it is a mystery on what we'll see. I guess the important games will be almost solely in the knock-outs. Good luck to Italy and Zlatan! :D

Don't worry Finland sucked too in the group that was finally gonna be easy for us to qualify from