Sign in to follow this  
Safir

Euro 2016

Jamie Vardyyyyyy..... I bet England to do a Leicester.

Would love to see it.

But I go with a dull 0-0 opening draw against Russia....

Hodgson confounds the footballing world by naming the same squad and uses the same formation and tactics for the game against Wales.  Result a 1-0 loss..

Hodgson announces that he is confident that a win against Slovakia will be enough to get through and that he has a brilliant plan... and then confounds the footballing world again by making zero changes.

After a dismal 1-1 draw he tells the press that there are no easy games, blah blah blah...

Goodbye England. Goodbye Hodgson.

Just read that some of the press are claiming Jack Wilshere and Jordan Henderson will be selected for the Euros. They are even saying that Wilshere will be a starter.

Probably just speculation but if it turns out to be true then it will prove beyond doubt that Roy is completely devoid of ideas.

Roy just announced his 26 man squad for the tournament (23 plus 3 spares)

Goalkeepers - Hart, Forster, Heaton

No real surprise there.  Hart was always going as first choice.  Can't moan about the other two choices.  Academic anyway as they will probably just be tourists.

Defenders - Bertrand, Cahill, Walker, Rose, Stones, Smalling, Clyne

Roy is really stepping out this time.  Taking a risk with only 3 CB's and probably relying on Dier to be a back-up if required.  I like his thinking though, one man that can play in two positions (Dier) frees up a spare place.  Has someone checked Roy's temperature, is he feeling okay??

Stones and Cahill not in the best of form but to be fair there's not much else on the menu....

Midfield - Alli, Barkley, Delph, Dier, Drinkwater, Henderson, Lallana, Milner, Sterling, Townsend, Wilshere

I don't think it's a coincidence that Alli was mentioned first.  Surely Roy has to go with in-form players like him and Drinkwater in the starting line-up and build around them?  I truly hope we are not going down that road of playing in-form players out of position just to make room for his favourites and then keeping our fingers crossed??

Wilshere and Henderson is a sure sign that Roy is finally developing a sense of humour right?  Barely played a couple of minutes all season between them.  They have to be two of the main contenders to be jettisoned when Roy has to narrow the list down to 23...

Interesting that Rooney is not included in the midfield list.  

Forwards - Kane, Vardy, Rooney, Sturridge, Rashford

Chuffed to bits that Rashford has made the list.  Maybe Roy has found a packet of imagination in his suit pocket after all.  I suspect that Rashford just made the selection as a token gesture and will probably be the 3rd man to have his rip cord pulled before the end of the month.  However, it's the kind of thinking that if Roy had employed from the beginning of his reign he might have ended up being remembered for something other then just being,, well,,,, Roy.

Kane is the obvious starter.  If Roy goes with his 4-4-2 diamond then Vardy too.  Personally I would take Rashford as part of my final 23 and drop 3 midfielders knowing that Rooney can and probably will slot back in a central midfield role.

As a keen follower of Russian football I was especially interested to see how Russia were going to address their ageing defensive issue for the upcoming Euro's.  Well it seems they are going down the path of "player assimilation" seeing that Shalke defender Roman Neustadter has just been selected in their squad having apparently turned into a Russian citizen almost overnight lol!

Nothing against Neustader himself.  A good player and great if he can carve out an international career for himself.

However, isn't this taking things a little extreme?

Neustadter was born in the Ukraine and moved to Germany when he was a young boy.  He speaks German, has a German passport, plays in the German Bundesliga and has played for Germany in two friendly matches.

However, because at the time of his birth Ukraine was still a satellite state of Soviet Russia, it is claimed that he is "technically" Russian and bing bang bosh, he is in the squad and his brand new Russian passport is now being fast-tracked through with the assistance of the Russian Football Union.

Amazing.  Using this logic then I guess I am eligible for selection in the Italian squad.

On the grounds that my Mother once ate a pizza in Milan and that Britain used to be part of the Roman Empire....

Being Portuguese I'm not really looking forward to this Euro.

We have Ronaldo, some quality oldies and players in poor shape, a few talented youngsters and then a bunch of muppets.

Poor Ronaldo is stuck between 2 of the best generations in Portuguese football.

At least I assume this next one is gonna be the best to date.

I just wish he were like 10 years younger, so he can play many years with the likes of Bernardo Silva, João Mário, José Sá, Rúben Vezo, Paulo Oliveira, Sanches, Rúben Neves, André Silva, Raphael Guerreiro, Cancelo, Gelson Martins, Gonçalo Guedes, Ricardo Pereira, João Nunes, Iuri Medeiros, Danilo Pereira, Rafa Silva, William Carvalho, etc.

This upcoming generation is gonna be brilliant, although those greedy football agents might ruin it.

Portugal will never win a WC, since we're a small and poor country, with low population.

Since FIFA became a tremendously corrupt organization, no country that fits the above description has won a WC.

But who cares...

My NT team and favourite club aren't winners and I'm used to watching them being robbed by refs, so the lack of silverware doesn't affect me much.

As long as they don't blatantly rob us, like in the WCQ game vs Germany, that cost us a ticket to the 98 WC, or the 2006 WC semifinal vs France, I'm just happy to see some quality football.

24 teams sucks tho, but I guess Platini had to pay some favors to the worst countries in European football, that were the main tools for his election.

1 of Spain, France or Germany should win Euro 2016.

Italy is fairly weak atm, even tho they have a good coach.

England are starting to have an interesting side, but Leicester had Ranieri.

I'd be very surprised if England Hodgsoned their way into winning the Euro, especially coz they haven't reached the semis of a big comp since 96.

Belgium may surprise, but I don't see them winning the trophy.

I rate Croatia, but I see them losing in the QF or sth.

The rest, including Portugal, are nosebleads.

Shame there's no Holland, coz they're usually a joy to watch.

But maybe this non-qualification will remind them that you can't just attack in football.

I just hope I get to see loads of good matches and that the champion wins the trophy, simply on their own merit. 

Being Portuguese I'm not really looking forward to this Euro.

We have Ronaldo, some quality oldies and players in poor shape, a few talented youngsters and then a bunch of muppets.

Poor Ronaldo is stuck between 2 of the best generations in Portuguese football.

At least I assume this next one is gonna be the best to date.

I just wish he were like 10 years younger, so he can play many years with the likes of Bernardo Silva, João Mário, José Sá, Rúben Vezo, Paulo Oliveira, Sanches, Rúben Neves, André Silva, Raphael Guerreiro, Cancelo, Gelson Martins, Gonçalo Guedes, Ricardo Pereira, João Nunes, Iuri Medeiros, Danilo Pereira, Rafa Silva, William Carvalho, etc.

This upcoming generation is gonna be brilliant, although those greedy football agents might ruin it.

Portugal will never win a WC, since we're a small and poor country, with low population.

Since FIFA became a tremendously corrupt organization, no country that fits the above description has won a WC.

But who cares...

My NT team and favourite club aren't winners and I'm used to watching them being robbed by refs, so the lack of silverware doesn't affect me much.

As long as they don't blatantly rob us, like in the WCQ game vs Germany, that cost us a ticket to the 98 WC, or the 2006 WC semifinal vs France, I'm just happy to see some quality football.

24 teams sucks tho, but I guess Platini had to pay some favors to the worst countries in European football, that were the main tools for his election.

1 of Spain, France or Germany should win Euro 2016.

Italy is fairly weak atm, even tho they have a good coach.

England are starting to have an interesting side, but Leicester had Ranieri.

I'd be very surprised if England Hodgsoned their way into winning the Euro, especially coz they haven't reached the semis of a big comp since 96.

Belgium may surprise, but I don't see them winning the trophy.

I rate Croatia, but I see them losing in the QF or sth.

The rest, including Portugal, are nosebleads.

Shame there's no Holland, coz they're usually a joy to watch.

But maybe this non-qualification will remind them that you can't just attack in football.

I just hope I get to see loads of good matches and that the champion wins the trophy, simply on their own merit.

I bet there will be some unbelievable results like the world cup provided. Portugal has an edge over nuts and they can go to quarter finals. I suppose England, Poland, Wales and Switzerland would be surprise packages.

Russia just announced that Alan Dzagoev won't make the Euro's following his injury at Rubin Kazan at the weekend.  That is a huge blow for the Russians as he is the only really creative player that they have.  Shirokov is also not bad but his age and his attitude seem to have conspired against him since the world cup.

Dzagoev will be replaced with Dmitri Torbinski, which, for Russian fans, is the equivalent of Harry Kane being replaced with Darren Bent..

I really wouldn't like to say who will qualify from Group B.  Obviously England will be expected to win the group but it probably isn't going to be as easy as they think.  The problem with having 3 teams being able to qualify from the group means that ALL teams think they have a chance to get through and all they need is one good win to make it a possibility.

I agree with Justin (post above) that Poland could be dark horses, I watched them beat Georgia 4-0 when I was in Warsaw and Robert Lewandowski looked as sharp as a razor blade.  If anyone gives him too much space in the box they will probably end up regretting it..

France will obviously fancy their chances but, on the other hand, the Germans have probably already cleared out some space in their trophy cabinet too.

I bet there will be some unbelievable results like the world cup provided. Portugal has an edge over nuts and they can go to quarter finals. I suppose England, Poland, Wales and Switzerland would be surprise packages.

I agree with you 2 on Poland.

They have a fairly interesting side, but they're kinda like Portugal.

1 amazing player and then the rest.

I also see Portugal making the QF, tops.

I personally think England is in that 2nd pool of favorites, behind Spain, France and Germany, but alongside the likes of Italy and Belgium.

So I really wouldn't consider England a dark horse.

My dark horses would be Croatia, Poland, Turkey and Ukraine.

I'm curious to see how Iceland, Wales, Russia and Switzerland will do.

Russia just announced that Alan Dzagoev won't make the Euro's following his injury at Rubin Kazan at the weekend.  That is a huge blow for the Russians as he is the only really creative player that they have.  Shirokov is also not bad but his age and his attitude seem to have conspired against him since the world cup.

Dzagoev will be replaced with Dmitri Torbinski, which, for Russian fans, is the equivalent of Harry Kane being replaced with Darren Bent..

I really wouldn't like to say who will qualify from Group B.  Obviously England will be expected to win the group but it probably isn't going to be as easy as they think.  The problem with having 3 teams being able to qualify from the group means that ALL teams think they have a chance to get through and all they need is one good win to make it a possibility.

I agree with Justin (post above) that Poland could be dark horses, I watched them beat Georgia 4-0 when I was in Warsaw and Robert Lewandowski looked as sharp as a razor blade.  If anyone gives him too much space in the box they will probably end up regretting it..

France will obviously fancy their chances but, on the other hand, the Germans have probably already cleared out some space in their trophy cabinet too.

That Kane / Bent comparison just cracked me up.  :D

Just for fun..

Winners: France

Runners-Up: Spain

Dark Horses: Italy

Flop: Portugal

Golden Boot: Romelu Lukaku / Olivier Giroud

Golden Ball: Paul Pogba

Team of the tournament:

Lloris

Ramos - Hummels - Rami - Rose

Muller - Silva - Pogba - Griezmann

Nolito - Giroud

Breakthrough players: Denayer, Glik, Alli, Junuzovic, Embolo, Dzuyba, Nolito.

Just for fun..

Runners-Up: Spain

Flop: Portugal

Golden Boot: Romelu Lukaku / Olivier Giroud

Golden Ball: Paul Pogba

Team of the tournament:

Lloris

Ramos - Hummels - Rami - Rose

Muller - Silva - Pogba - Griezmann

Nolito - Giroud

Breakthrough players: Denayer, Glik, Alli, Junuzovic, Embolo, Dzuyba, Nolito.

This is very helpful grateful thanks Ashtini BUT....

I wonder is there an easy quick way of finding every player (Or most of the big team players if not) involved in the Euros?? Ie I guess could trawl individual squads one by one on Wiki BUT can I find them all in one place, so I have a list of them all (Or most)?

Ta to anyone who knows

This is very helpful grateful thanks Ashtini BUT....

I wonder is there an easy quick way of finding every player (Or most of the big team players if not) involved in the Euros?? Ie I guess could trawl individual squads one by one on Wiki BUT can I find them all in one place, so I have a list of them all (Or most)?

Ta to anyone who knows

Nice to see you posting Hap!

I actually found the official euros website the best to check this on. A couple of fantasy football scout websites have good lists too.

Cheers Ash, I'm still here hoping I'm not going to be forced out completely by a new UI that I haven't as yet been forced into.

Down to a fraction of the teams I had but holding onto the original team I've had for over 7years. Another where we are now down to 2 & awaiting SM closing it. I'll do it & resign if Sm do force the new UI.

Cheers Mate :)

Runners-Up: Portugal - 33/1

Flop: England

Golden Boot: Ronaldo -  I can see Platini tournament record going by someone

Golden Ball: Paul Pogba/ Martial

Team of the tournament:

De Gea

Ramos - Pepe - Kosnielny - Alaba

W Carvalho  - Pogba - Kroos

Muller- Ronaldo - Martial/Griezmann

Runners-Up: Portugal - 33/1

Flop: England

Golden Boot: Ronaldo -  I can see Platini tournament record going by someone

Golden Ball: Paul Pogba/ Martial

Team of the tournament:

De Gea

Ramos - Pepe - Kosnielny - Alaba

W Carvalho  - Pogba - Kroos

Muller- Ronaldo - Martial/Griezmann

De Gea sent back to hotel and reportedly axed from Spain squad following sex scandal????????

Great goal Payet. Kante continues to play great, at any level. He has to be picked up by a top team. Romania deserve credit, played very well.

Agreed.  Also Matuidi & Pogba looking very sharp for France.  Romania probably thought they had done enough to get a draw but a finish like that from Payet is worthy of a win in any match.

Who wants to voice chat about football, euros, or anything?

Let me know and let's exchange infos on Skype or any other voice chat really

No names, faces, personal details or anything, just interesting conversation