Sign in to follow this  
Apex Predator

Good team in a poor run of form

Normally I don't post on the forum for tactical help. I just use the guides and counter formation recommendations to try and get through it. I have a good Chelsea side with an average rating of 92 with my strongest team, but I have failed to win my last 6 league games, taking 2 out of a possible 18 points. Three of those games were against teams considerably weaker than mine, so I really could use some help with my formation and play style, as even trying to follow the guides that other posters have put has stopped working.

My strongest players to choose from are:

Courtois

Ivanovic, Cahill, Luiz, Chiellini, Clichy, Bernat, Rausch

Valbuena, Marin, Cazorla, Candreva, Ramires, Thiago, Mata

Sturridge, Rossi, Moses, Jese, Morata

Normally my key 2 players were Sturridge to score the goals and Mata to assist them. But both have really gone off form, getting 5-6 in the match reports. In my last game I dropped Sturridge for Marin, who'd been playing well as a sub. I lost 2-1, but Marin scored and got MOTM. I brought Morata off the bench and he got the assist.

My next game is against Bayern, he is in the relegation zone but for some reason he doesn't play Ribery, Neuer, Lahm and Muller. :confused: His tactics are:

Formation: 4-4-2

Tackling: Normal

Mentality: Attacking

Passing: Short

Attacking: Mixed

Tempo: Normal

Pressing: All Over

Uses Counter Attack

Please could someone with some tactical knowledge try and help me get back to winning ways? I've run out of ideas.

Re: Good team in a poor run of form

Normally I don't post on the forum for tactical help. I just use the guides and counter formation recommendations to try and get through it. I have a good Chelsea side with an average rating of 92 with my strongest team' date=' but I have failed to win my last 6 league games, taking 2 out of a possible 18 points. Three of those games were against teams considerably weaker than mine, so I really could use some help with my formation and play style, as even trying to follow the guides that other posters have put has stopped working.

My strongest players to choose from are:

Courtois

Ivanovic, Cahill, Luiz, Chiellini, Clichy, Bernat, Rausch

Valbuena, Marin, Cazorla, Candreva, Ramires, Thiago, Mata

Sturridge, Rossi, Moses, Jese, Morata

Normally my key 2 players were Sturridge to score the goals and Mata to assist them. But both have really gone off form, getting 5-6 in the match reports. In my last game I dropped Sturridge for Marin, who'd been playing well as a sub. I lost 2-1, but Marin scored and got MOTM. I brought Morata off the bench and he got the assist.

My next game is against Bayern, he is in the relegation zone but for some reason he doesn't play Ribery, Neuer, Lahm and Muller. :confused: His tactics are:

Formation: 4-4-2

Tackling: Normal

Passing: Short

Pressing: All Over

Uses Counter Attack

Please could someone with some tactical knowledge try and help me get back to winning ways? I've run out of ideas.[/quote']

Against a 4-4-2 I would go with this:

Courtois

Ivanovic-Cahill-Chiellini-Clichy

Luiz-Ramires

Cazorla-Mata-Marin

Sturridge

Hard

Attacking

direct

down both flanks

fast

all over

4-2-3-1 both wingers with an arrow diagonal forward

Playmaker,Counter-Attack, target man

Luiz as captain and Cazorla as playmaker

---------------------------------

Also sometimes when you hit a bad run of form if you offer all the players a new contract you will notice the morale boost the players get, I use shortest-term contract because it is nice to have the use of offer contract to boost them again in future.

Thank you very much mate. I will let you know how I fare. My players have really good morale, all of my main players are about 90%+ with some of the 2nd choice players about 85%.

Hopefully Marin's form can keep going, I'll probably bring Morata on again in the second half if I'm behind. I tend to use Luiz as free kick taker. He nearly always scores when he shoots for goal, although the last few games he tries to cross it in instead which never works. I will use Cazorla as playmaker, I used to use Mata as he had a good record of scoring and assisting but since his form has dried up I should probably use someone else.

I felt I needed to cry for help. It was the last straw when I played Man City, I had about 12 shots with none scored, he had two shots and two goals.

I still find it baffling he doesn't play Neuer, Lahm, Ribery and Muller when they're all match fit. We're 30 games into the season and he hasn't played Neuer all season, he plays Krul instead.

Thank you very much mate. I will let you know how I fare. My players have really good morale' date=' all of my main players are about 90%+ with some of the 2nd choice players about 85%.

Hopefully Marin's form can keep going, I'll probably bring Morata on again in the second half if I'm behind. I tend to use Luiz as free kick taker. He nearly always scores when he shoots for goal, although the last few games he tries to cross it in instead which never works. I will use Cazorla as playmaker, I used to use Mata as he had a good record of scoring and assisting but since his form has dried up I should probably use someone else.

I felt I needed to cry for help. It was the last straw when I played Man City, I had about 12 shots with none scored, he had two shots and two goals.

I still find it baffling he doesn't play Neuer, Lahm, Ribery and Muller when they're all match fit. We're 30 games into the season and he hasn't played Neuer all season, he plays Krul instead.[/quote']

The playmaker could be anybody but with this formation it is better to be one of the wingers considering you are attacking down the flanks.

Good luck anyway I hope you get some joy, nothing worse than when you hit a brick wall of bad form, I usually revert to my fav 5 formations that I have stored when I hit a bad patch of form, rotating between formations until I get one that works again.

Sorry I couldn't get back to you straight away. Was away from home for a few days.

The good news is I won the game 4-1! Ramires scored in 5 minutes and got MOTM after returning from suspension. Bayern equalised though and from 8 to 60 minutes it was still 1-1 and I couldn't get a goal. After his form dipped in recent games, I put in my tactics to substitute Mata for Thiago after 60 minutes. In 60 minutes, Mata did nothing and got a 7 in the report. After bringing him on with 30 to go, Thiago assisted Marin's goal and then scored two himself! Marin got one of the assists and scored 9/10, Cazorla got the other 2 assists. I had 56% possession.

So in other words, thank you very much for your help. It really paid off!

My next league game is tonight with Sporting Braga. He's a few places below me, with a team rated slightly lower than mine, but he's in good form. He tends to score or concede at least 3 goals per game.

Normally I'd go on my merry way and go back to doing tactics without asking for help, but I don't particularly like the manager as I found out in the past he has an attitude problem when trying to do transfer deals with him. So it means a bit more to try and beat him. I might stick to the same formation, but if you have time to post any suggestions then I would be very grateful. His tactics are:

Formation: 3-5-2

Tackling: Hard

Passing: Mixed

Pressing: Own half

Uses Tight Marking

Sorry I couldn't get back to you straight away. Was away from home for a few days.

The good news is I won the game 4-1! Ramires scored in 5 minutes and got MOTM after returning from suspension. Bayern equalised though and from 8 to 60 minutes it was still 1-1 and I couldn't get a goal. After his form dipped in recent games' date=' I put in my tactics to substitute Mata for Thiago after 60 minutes. In 60 minutes, Mata did nothing and got a 7 in the report. After bringing him on with 30 to go, Thiago assisted Marin's goal and then scored two himself! Marin got one of the assists and scored 9/10, Cazorla got the other 2 assists. I had 56% possession.

So in other words, thank you very much for your help. It really paid off!

My next league game is tonight with Sporting Braga. He's a few places below me, with a team rated slightly lower than mine, but he's in good form. He tends to score or concede at least 3 goals per game.

Normally I'd go on my merry way and go back to doing tactics without asking for help, but I don't particularly like the manager as I found out in the past he has an attitude problem when trying to do transfer deals with him. So it means a bit more to try and beat him. I might stick to the same formation, but if you have time to post any suggestions then I would be very grateful. His tactics are:

Pressing: Own half

Uses Tight Marking[/quote']

Nice to see you ending that poor 6 game win-less run, I like that 4-2-3-1 and have it stored as one of my array of formations it works okay against the 3-5-2 but I do find using a 5-4-1 is better against the 3-5-2.

Here is the 5-4-1 that I would play as I gave someone else when asked about playing against 3-5-2 for him he is playing against an ultra defensive but they work good against an attacking 3-5-2 as well.

http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=2996225&postcount=167

http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=2998238&postcount=175

The first link has the tactics to be set the second has a picture of what way to put the arrows.

Whether you use teh 4-2-31 or the 5-4-1 I hope you get back to back wins, good luck.

Nice to see you ending that poor 6 game win-less run' date=' I like that 4-2-3-1 and have it stored as one of my array of formations it works okay against the 3-5-2 but I do find using a 5-4-1 is better against the 3-5-2.

Here is the 5-4-1 that I would play as I gave someone else when asked about playing against 3-5-2 for him he is playing against an ultra defensive but they work good against an attacking 3-5-2 as well.

[url']http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=2996225&postcount=167[/url]

http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=2998238&postcount=175

The first link has the tactics to be set the second has a picture of what way to put the arrows.

Whether you use teh 4-2-31 or the 5-4-1 I hope you get back to back wins, good luck.

Thank you for getting back to me. Most grateful :) I will play the 5-4-1 instead. He seems to very rarely draw with 3-5-2, he wins most and loses a few, and he normally scores upwards of 3 goals a game. He seems to make the formation work, I always used to use 3-5-2 a long time ago but I find it doesn't work anymore. Hasn't worked with Chelsea, and didn't work with my Benfica side before that. Anyway, if you'll excuse my primitive illustration below, I've gone for:

Courtois

Cahill Luiz Chiellini

Ivanovic Ramires Clichy

Cazorla Marin

Mata

Sturridge

I've put the arrows in, for Cahill to move towards Ivanovic and Chiellini towards Clichy. Luiz is still captain, but I have moved free kicks to Cazorla since Luiz would be coming up from CB. Marin is on fire, so he will definitely start again (his last 6 games he was rated 8-6-8-8-8-9). Sturridge is still struggling to score but he is playing better, as opposed to Rossi who isn't scoring and playing poorly. I still haven't quite got the courage to drop Mata from the starting XI, but if I'm not ahead by 60 or even 45 minutes I'll bring Thiago on for him again.

Thank you for getting back to me. Most grateful :) I will play the 5-4-1 instead. He seems to very rarely draw with 3-5-2' date=' he wins most and loses a few, and he normally scores upwards of 3 goals a game. He seems to make the formation work, I always used to use 3-5-2 a long time ago but I find it doesn't work anymore. Hasn't worked with Chelsea, and didn't work with my Benfica side before that. Anyway, if you'll excuse my primitive illustration below, I've gone for:

Courtois

Cahill Luiz Chiellini

Ivanovic Ramires Clichy

Cazorla Marin

Mata

Sturridge

I've put the arrows in, for Cahill to move towards Ivanovic and Chiellini towards Clichy. Luiz is still captain, but I have moved free kicks to Cazorla since Luiz would be coming up from CB. Marin is on fire, so he will definitely start again (his last 6 games he was rated 8-6-8-8-8-9). Sturridge is still struggling to score but he is playing better, as opposed to Rossi who isn't scoring and playing poorly. I still haven't quite got the courage to drop Mata from the starting XI, but if I'm not ahead by 60 or even 45 minutes I'll bring Thiago on for him again.[/quote']

Good luck I hope you get a good result.

It certainly worked! Won 4-0 :D Sturridge scored and got 9/10, Marin scored and got an assist (10/10), Ivanovic scored twice in two minutes and had MOTM (10/10) and even Mata had two assists (7/10), but he's now suspended for the next game for 5 yellow cards.

So thanks very much again! In fairness I probably should have looked at the 3-5-2 thread since it wasn't far down the list. But sometimes I come across a new formation that there isn't a recently posted thread on how to counter for, and after hearing stuff about the game engine changing and stories of old methods not working anymore, I'm not sure how far to go back through the archives to find tips that still work.

Real Madrid is my next game, the second out of three times I play them in a week but this time it will be my own tactics not assistant manager's. On paper he has the strongest XI in the game world, and he plays 4-2-2-2. So I will scout the forum for tips and see if I can take it from here. But cheers again for helping me get back to winning ways!

It certainly worked! Won 4-0 :D Sturridge scored and got 9/10' date=' Marin scored and got an assist (10/10), Ivanovic scored twice in two minutes and had MOTM (10/10) and even Mata had two assists (7/10), but he's now suspended for the next game for 5 yellow cards.

So thanks very much again! In fairness I probably should have looked at the 3-5-2 thread since it wasn't far down the list. But sometimes I come across a new formation that there isn't a recently posted thread on how to counter for, and after hearing stuff about the game engine changing and stories of old methods not working anymore, I'm not sure how far to go back through the archives to find tips that still work.

Real Madrid is my next game, the second out of three times I play them in a week but this time it will be my own tactics not assistant manager's. On paper he has the strongest XI in the game world, and he plays 4-2-2-2. So I will scout the forum for tips and see if I can take it from here. But cheers again for helping me get back to winning ways![/quote']

It is always nice to end the bad run and get back to winning ways and then continue that with back to back wins, glad both the formations worked for you, I understand what you are saying about looking to far back, anyway if you are ever in any more need you can ask me if you do not get help elsewhere, good luck.

I haven't been able to find a definite answer to countering 4-2-2-2. I'm tempted to try 3-5-2 again, even though I've had little luck with it. It's either that or 4-3-3 Wingers, that were mentioned in the 'Counter Formations and Guide to Newcomers' thread. His team is:

Casillas

Arbeloa Silva Ramos Marcelo

Vidal Di Maria

Isco Silva

Higuain Messi

Formation: 4-2-2-2

Default Team Style apart from Counter Attack set to 'Yes'

I'm potentially thinking:

Courtois

Ivanovic Chiellini Clichy

Luiz

Cazorla Ramires Thiago Marin

Rossi Sturridge

Arrows on Cazorla and Marin

Mentality: Very Attacking

Attacking: Down Both Flanks

Tempo: Fast

Pressing: Own Half

Use counter attack, playmaker and target man

Luiz as Captain and free kick taker

Sturridge as target man and penalties

Cazorla as playmaker and corner taker

I don't have Mata for this game. I might revert to 4-2-3-1 at half time if I'm struggling