Run of unusual match results

CAFC28

I've held off posting this for a while, to get 4-5 matches out of the way rather than just risk it being a one off.

I'll post specifics as I've noticed them, and see if anyone else has noticed similar.

1) higher rated keepers seeming to perform worse than lower rated keepers, especially against lower rated players/teams.

2) higher rated strikers less able to score against lower rated keepers.

3) lower rated teams seeming to enjoy more possession and have more shots against higher rated teams.

4) possession almost seems to count against teams - I've noticed teams with lower possession having more shots/shots on target

I've played an attacking 352 down the wings for a long time, finding it to have been overall the most effective formation against the majority of other formations. I play in a relatively quiet EC with ~9 human managers, so most matches are against AI and therefore random formations, so little point messing around and changing.

It usually manages to maintain high possession, earn lots of corners, and generate a lot of shots on target. I've managed to get golden boot for one of my strikers for the last three seasons.

I've also played with an 89 rated keeper for most of the past 4-5 seasons and always had a very high goal difference, scoring lots and letting in few.

In the the past 6-7 matches, and most specifically since swapping Ter Stegen for De Gea, I've noticed that possession has massively dropped off against most formations, shots are down and more specifically, accuracy for my three 94 rated strikers is pathetic - most goals come from midfield now.

I can have 13 shots on target and score 1 goal, yet lose 3-1 against a team with 5 shots on target.

This is average 92 against 85-87 rated teams.

Today was the icing on the cake when I noticed the two-three other teams that use the same formation and tactics as me are also now struggling with results, especially against the lower rated AI teams.

I'm aware these kind of results have been raised many times as one-offs, and a certain degree of randomness has been experienced for years with this match engine, however this is almost becoming the norm now.

I'm not against a change to the match engine, or having to find a different formation/set of formations to play, I'm just more curious if this is a run of bad luck, of other people have noticed a similar "flip" in results and match stats.

I'm most interested in people's experiences against lower rated teams, performance of higher rated keepers vs lower rated, and whether teams who focus on attacking play are now being comprehensively outplayed nearly every match.

Thanks.

Riferimento: Run of unusual match results

I've held off posting this for a while' date=' to get 4-5 matches out of the way rather than just risk it being a one off.

I'll post specifics as I've noticed them, and see if anyone else has noticed similar.

1) higher rated keepers seeming to perform worse than lower rated keepers, especially against lower rated players/teams.

2) higher rated strikers less able to score against lower rated keepers.

3) lower rated teams seeming to enjoy more possession and have more shots against higher rated teams.

4) possession almost seems to count against teams - I've noticed teams with lower possession having more shots/shots on target

I've played an attacking 352 down the wings for a long time, finding it to have been overall the most effective formation against the majority of other formations. I play in a relatively quiet EC with ~9 human managers, so most matches are against AI and therefore random formations, so little point messing around and changing.

It usually manages to maintain high possession, earn lots of corners, and generate a lot of shots on target. I've managed to get golden boot for one of my strikers for the last three seasons.

I've also played with an 89 rated keeper for most of the past 4-5 seasons and always had a very high goal difference, scoring lots and letting in few.

In the the past 6-7 matches, and most specifically since swapping Ter Stegen for De Gea, I've noticed that possession has massively dropped off against most formations, shots are down and more specifically, accuracy for my three 94 rated strikers is pathetic - most goals come from midfield now.

I can have 13 shots on target and score 1 goal, yet lose 3-1 against a team with 5 shots on target.

This is average 92 against 85-87 rated teams.

Today was the icing on the cake when I noticed the two-three other teams that use the same formation and tactics as me are also now struggling with results, especially against the lower rated AI teams.

I'm aware these kind of results have been raised many times as one-offs, and a certain degree of randomness has been experienced for years with this match engine, however this is almost becoming the norm now.

I'm not against a change to the match engine, or having to find a different formation/set of formations to play, I'm just more curious if this is a run of bad luck, of other people have noticed a similar "flip" in results and match stats.

I'm most interested in people's experiences against lower rated teams, performance of higher rated keepers vs lower rated, and whether teams who focus on attacking play are now being comprehensively outplayed nearly every match.

Thanks.[/quote']

This is the BUG Engine. All you wrote is every team (strongest/weaker than yours) valid.

Without changing tactics my team walk from a 2-0 win to a 2-3 defeat just yesterday.

Re: Run of unusual match results

I too have experienced what you've you've explained in similar circumstance. I used 352 religiously which lead to a title followed by an unsuccessful season finishing mid-table, to teams with average ratings notably lower than mine.

I'll refrain from ranting.

But not until I changed tactics did I get back to my winning ways. I'm of firm belief that all this game takes to win is a formation that "gels" (for lack of a better word) with your particular team for that season, possibly two, and very little to do with much else. A new match engine has been in development for the past half decade so it should be completed come the apocalypse.

I too have noticed "unusual" results, since around xmas time.

Not much we can do about it though.

It's a shame because up until that point, this game has been the best I have ever played. Now, in it's "new" state, it is on a par with other mediocre games I have experienced.

I joined SM around July 14 but haven't posted much because I don't usually have much to say. This, though, is significant I feel.

I can't believe there hasn't been more feedback about this situation...

From my position playing SM, I record virtually everything. Yes, I am considered sad by my missus (lol) but by recording every detail it gives me a good idea on how the game works, what I am doing right or wrong, etc.

And, by recording everything into spreadsheets, a pattern emerges.

This pattern, since around xmas time, has been affected regarding most of my teams and it's clear to me that something within the match engine has been altered.

And, without going into major deatail at this stage, I have found that results are now more random. We all know cups and especially SMFA cups have always been pretty random, but I am talking about league results here.

In league play there was the odd few fixed results over the course of a season, but not that many that it ruined the game. Now, though, there are way more - and because of this the game has become just a game of chance, in my opinion.

Because this is not a visual game (we can't physically watch a match - yet!) we need the overall stats of a match to make some kind of sense. And before it was the possession and corners. If you worked out how to maximise these two stats then your team had a far greater chance of success.

Now, this is not the case. We no longer have any visual reliable proof that what formation/tactics we're picking as managers is working or not.

In essence, the competitve side of the game has been reduced massively and now the only real skill involved is the building of a great squad.

Results are too random now. Sorry. :(

Will be interesting to see the result of my next match, against a team playing a 352 defensive against the 4231 I've now adopted.

My aggressive 352 struggled in recent weeks against 4231 "normal" so it'll be interesting to see how this match pans out.

I'd expect it to be close, his av rating is 91, mine 92, so expecting to only be a goal or two in it.

Hi,

Please post your findings, just for curiosity purposes at least...

I have mainly found that possession-based formations, that used to have a high ratio of success, now still have decent success, but not as much as before.

Possession-based formations still work for some of my teams, whereas before they worked for all my teams, which might suggest that a new match engine has only been rolled out in some games, not all.... (?)

I am going to join a very old game to test this theory.

Also, with recent results, the more offensive formations are having greater success, even the likes of 424. I have seen 424 muscle-in on the possession stat like it never used to do before. Even unmanaged teams using this - and similar - have become "more competitive" regarding possession.

Overall, not a lot makes sense anymore (like just 2 in midfield enjoying similar possession against 4 or even 5) but one thing is for certain; something has been altered - and I am not sure it's for the better.

I have had an initial look at an "older" game that started in 2008, and I can safely say, that, after looking at the stats and formations from a lot of matches played just recently, the match engine being used is the former version. The better version in my opinion. In fact, as I have said before, the best match engine I have ever played.

And I have been playing these types of football games sine 1992!

I have had an initial look at an "older" game that started in 2008' date=' and I can safely say, that, after looking at the stats and formations from a lot of matches played just recently, the match engine being used is the former version. The better version in my opinion. In fact, as I have said before, the [b']best match engine I have ever played.[/b]

And I have been playing these types of football games sine 1992!

Lost 3-2, away match.

Less possession, less corners, more shots on target. Opp had 5/5 on target, scored 3. I had 9/19 on target, scored 2. Annoying. Higher rated GK, better forwards, been the story of my team since the possible change to the ME.

Frustrating to say the least. Every so often, fine. Every match... Meh. :)

That sounds definitely like the new match engine to me. What game are you in? And what season?

If you stick to that formation (4231) try putting diagonal arrows on your wide mids to push them into the CF area, so you're effectively playing 433 instead.

I'm not saying it will definitely work but I have seen it working.

Other than that, formations using 3+ up front are faring well.

And in that older game I mentioned, I played my first match last night. I used my older tactics and older formation against a team that was our equal (we both rated 91) and the stats came out as they used to do. We dominated possession and corners considerably and won 8-2. It was a league match too.

In fact, our opponents used 334, which would probably fair pretty well in the new match engine. But in the old ME we all know it used to get stuffed over 90 minutes - and rightly so, it did!

:)

Another thing I have found is that a player's rating means nothing individually.

I don't have time to go into details but as an example... I'd confidently use a, say, 75 CF in any team of mine providing the rest of my player's ratings built up my overall match rating to a competitive level.

In fact, I have done this and the so called "weak" attacker scored.

I had a good look through all of the matches played this week in my GW, and noticed that in almost every circumstance, the team with the least shots on target won the match.

I'll have a dig through when I'm back from work and correlate the formation (number of forwards specifically), possession, shots on target, and result.

I'd be interested to see if any pattern emerges as you suggest, such as 3 forwards seeming to do well.

I did notice an unmanaged team playing 334 getting stuffed, and a couple of managed teams doing well with 343 and 3421.

It does surprise me that formations managing a lot of shots on target all seem to have such poor goal returns though, it looks more like a massive bug in the match engine (NEVER!!!!) that the less shots you have, the more you score.

E.g. 3 goals with 5 shots, 5 on target. 2 goals with 19 shots, 9 on target.

It's like some bizarre calculation for accuracy (5/5 = 100% accuracy, 9/19=~50% accuracy, so more goals even though less shots).

I'm sure that's not how it's worked out, but it does seem strange - I'm going to have to check the goals scored against shots/shots on target ratio now as well! :)

I posted this on a custom game world thread in which I went from winning the league 2 seasons in a row to relegation the next season.7

The game world (87+ which is excellent) is 100% full.

I have been trying to understand why I have gone from winning the league for the last 2 seasons to being bottom after 10 games this season.

I appear to be struggling to score so I looked at my matches. For the 10 games I found the following (I am using the same defence and Goalie):

My shots........................................139 (average 14 per game)

Opposition shots..............................105 (11)

My shots on Target...........................82 (8)

Opposition shots on Target.................64 (6)

My Goals.........................................11

Opposition Goals...............................15

My shots on Target that score.............13%

Opposition shots on Target that score...23%

So' date=' it takes me nearly 8 shots on target to score but only 4 on target for the opposition to score.

[/quote']

Interesting reading.

I'd like to add, that, after more in-depth experimenting, it is not simply a case of just throwing 3 up front as I previously suggested at. For example, 433 is still way too unreliable.

I believe, though, that I have worked out why and what the new match engine requires nowadays. But I don't have the time to post at length.

I also don't want to come accross as if I'm teaching grandma how to suck eggs. lol.... :)

One thing I do know, though, and I stand by, is that you can have Neuer in your goal but he alone won't make a jot of difference to your goals conceded column.

Good luck in your games, everyone. :)