Sign in to follow this  
KBoyd1984

Major League Soccer Risers --2015

This is my first attempt at doing a ratings thread, but here it is.

First, a little bit about Major League Soccer. It is the top flight soccer league in the U.S. and Canada and has 20 teams in it this year. The quality of play isn't as good as the more established European leagues and it probably even isn't as good as emerging nations such as Japan and Mexico. However, it is the league that is producing some of the new young talent in the U.S. and is starting to get global attention.

The league started up in early March and will run until about December or so when the MLS Cup Final is played. All in all, 12 teams will make the MLS Cup playoffs.

A unique to MLS rule is a soft salary cap of $3M or so; although teams can sign up to 3 Designated Players who don't against it and "homegrown" players and Generation Adidas players don't count against it as well. Generation Adidas is a MLS and US Soccer program to encourage young prospects to either leave college soccer early or skip it altogether and enter the MLS Superdraft.

Instead of focusing on every single player, I will focus on risers. Although the ratings cap is 85, there are lots of bargains to be had for either squad players or teams looking for promotion in lower leagues.

Re: Major League Soccer Risers --2015

I'm doing these a team at a time. The format is name, age, position, current rating and then projected rating.

Chicago Fire

Chicago-Fire-Logo.jpg

This is easily the worst team in MLS, but there are decent players to be had.

Joevin Jones, 23, D,DM,M(L) 77 ------> 79

Matt Polster, 21, D,DM© 70 ---------> 75

Harry Shipp, 23, AM (RLC) 78---------> 78

Michael Stephens, 25, M(RLC) 78-----> 79

This is a team with some pretty slim pickings. Jones, Polster, and Stephens are proving to be pretty consistent starters this early in the season. Shipp is probably the one player of actual quality on this team, particularly as Mike Magee stays hurt and Nigerian DP Kennedy Igboananike hasn't been impressive.

New York City FC

nyc_football_club-01.png

One of the new teams in the league this year. This team though will have a few young players that will be set for some rises.

Shay Facey, 21, D(RC), 75 ----------> 76

Mix Diskerud, 24, M(RC),AM© 84 ---> 85

Patrick Mullins, 23, F© 75 -----------> 77

Khiry Shelton, 21, F© 70 ------------> 73

Facey, a loan product from Manchester City, will keep seeing playing as a substitute and sometime starter. He should see enough time to get a rise. Mix finally gets his 85 if he makes the U.S. Gold Cup squad, as expected.

Mullins will see plenty of time this year as mostly a sub, but an occassional starter as well. Shelton will see plenty of time with both NYCFC and with the US U-23 team as it tries to qualify for the Olympics this year.

If the U.S. continues to have striker problems, you may see Klinsmann take a look at these two (and a bunch of others in MLS).

Columbus Crew SC

1002_columbus_crew-primary-2015.png

Waylon Francis, 24, D(L) 82 ---------------> 83

Mohammed Saeid, 24, M(LC) 77 ----------> 80

Kristinn Steindorsson, 24, AM,F (RL) 78 --> 80

Justin Meram, 26, AM, F (RL) 80 ----------> 81

Waylon Francis, I'm sure will make Costa Rica's Gold Cup team this summer. Saeid and Steindorsson appear to be adapting well to MLS from the Swedish leagues. Meram already has one of Columbus's three goals they've scored this year.

Colorado Rapids

XRPOW4PI22GYBPQQ.png

Bobby Burling, 30, D© 79 ----------->80

Axel Sjoberg, 24, D© 70 ------------>75

Lucas Pittinari, 23, DM ©, M(RC) 82->83

Dominque Badji, 22, F© 73----------> 75

Burling is getting plenty of playing time so far this season. Sjoberg, although a rookie, has already started twice. Pittinari has played every minute of the season so far. Badji should get plenty of playing time as long as Gabriel Torres keeps misfiring.

I've been looking at the MLS teams on Soccerway this morning and I've made a list of cheap players that have been getting playing time in the league. I'm not sure how much they'll get but I'd expect anywhere between +2s to +8s.

Here's the list:

Miguel Aguilar

Cyle Larin

Anatole Abang

Sean Davis

Jay Chapman

Khiry Shelton

Thomas McNamara (72)

Brian Sylvestre

Eric Ayuk

Matt Polster

Cristian Roldan