Sign in to follow this  
KopStar

The New Forum Layout

Good to see a skin closely matching the old forum layout but it's still not a patch on the old forum. I don't seem to be able to send any PM's, tried three times now, even though it states they have been sent after clicking send they don't seem to populate in my sent box.

What the hell is up with Sigs and Avatars as well?!

Can you please make it so i don't have to go to filter every time I go on forum to go to latest post it's really tedious and has myself not visiting as much because of this or if anyone knows if you already can please please tell me by message please. <3

Can you please make it so i don't have to go to filter every time I go on forum to go to latest post it's really tedious and has myself not visiting as much because of this or if anyone knows if you already can please please tell me by message please. <3

never mind fixed it seriously that was so irritating

This new layout is single-handedly responsible for the drastic decline of forum activity.

Yes coupled with the fact that some new random members posting nonsensical posts is pushing me to my limits.

Should I ever leave, hopefully SM keeps my account and in due time, I'll be back.

What it has done in 1 setup im in is the newsfeed is being used a lot more. The general cosmetic look is fine it's everything else that's wrong surely they see the numbers and know they need to rethink unless they're trying to part with the forum which doesn't make sense as why update. I've never seen the forum so bad in it's history :(

I've never seen the forum so bad in it's history :(

Isn't it a sign of the times though? When the forum was created there wasn't twitter, Facebook etc. So hence why it was very busy and popular. We've now seen a shift of people communicating with one another on social media and we get lots of requests asking if managers can set up their own groups on Facebook for example. However, I don't think it helped the forum when we removed the visible forum button from the menu in the game (as forums still appeal to some people) as this hide it away from everyone. I love the forum as think it's got a great community as well as numerous characters (some have even become part of the furniture like yourself). That is why I requested a visible forum button on the desktop site as I want to encourage those that like to use forums to come and join. This is part of our overall strategy as we want to be very community driven.

Isn't it a sign of the times though? When the forum was created there wasn't twitter' date=' Facebook etc. So hence why it was very busy and popular. We've now seen a shift of people communicating with one another on social media and we get lots of requests asking if managers can set up their own groups on Facebook for example. However, I don't think it helped the forum when we removed the visible forum button from the menu in the game (as forums still appeal to some people) as this hide it away from everyone. I love the forum as think it's got a great community as well as numerous characters (some have even become part of the furniture like yourself). That is why I requested a visible forum button on the desktop site as I want to encourage those that like to use forums to come and join. This is part of our overall strategy as we want to be very community driven.

[/quote']

Hi Steven, some feedback towards this (it feels like I’m stalking you today, I’m not, honest!).

I don’t really agree that the reason the forum is seeing less interaction is because of other social interaction, facebook and twitter have been around for years now but neither offer the kind of flexibility the forum had for match previews and reports, player discussions or general banter.

• The problem with the new forum set up is the lack of user ease, it’s too convoluted to do simple things now. Yeah it looks prettier than it did, but that’s just about the only area that’s better.
  • Previously you had a main area for all your subscriptions, your rep feedback, and all your settings (the control panel). Now you have none of that. Clicking on your name, then your profile takes you to everything you’ve posted, not updates to the things you’ve displayed an interest in and subscribed to, why do I need to see my posts, I’ve seen them, I wrote them. To get to the areas you want is a bit of a chore, you have to search through a few menu’s to get there. You can argue that people will get used to it, and you’d be mostly right, but new people looking at it won’t bother and older members that have been teetering on the brink of quitting for a while will give up on it, as is happening.
  • Also the removal of user rep seems a massive own goal. People genuinely used this a lot and it made users want to help each other just for the sake of getting the thanks. This may seem silly, but I can assure you it was one of the reasons there were so many people willing to help out on threads, such as the ‘Help with deals’ thread.
  • There’s too many categories now as well to my eye, you seem to have to drill down through a lot of menu’s to get where you want to, only to find not much there.
  • It’s slow. Sometimes very slow.
  • There’s also a few bugs still out there, such as ‘Not authorised to view this page’, not being able to correct spelling when replying to a post, and another one which slips my mind right now.

You’ve mentioned that you want to be a community driven group, on this one I think the community have unanimously spoken against it, so I guess where we go from here will put the truth or lie to test on that statement.

It might not be the easiest thing to make another change to the forum already, but it seems to me that if you (and SM as a whole) are serious about listening to its users and acting on that then a change is needed no matter how unpalatable it is

[*]Also the removal of user rep seems a massive own goal. People genuinely used this a lot and it made users want to help each other just for the sake of getting the thanks. This may seem silly' date=' but I can assure you it was one of the reasons there were so many people willing to help out on threads, such as the Help with deals thread.

It might not be the easiest thing to make another change to the forum already, but it seems to me that if you (and SM as a whole) are serious about listening to its users and acting on that then a change is needed no matter how unpalatable it is

[/quote']

Biggest issue for me. The forum has being drying up over the last 2 years but we have seen a massive drop in activity since the update,

Hi Steven' date=' some feedback towards this (it feels like I’m stalking you today, I’m not, honest!).[/quote']

You can stalk me as much as you like but don't go turning up at my house at silly o'clock!

I don’t really agree that the reason the forum is seeing less interaction is because of other social interaction' date=' facebook and twitter have been around for years now but neither offer the kind of flexibility the forum had for match previews and reports, player discussions or general banter.

[list']

[*]The problem with the new forum set up is the lack of user ease, it’s too convoluted to do simple things now. Yeah it looks prettier than it did, but that’s just about the only area that’s better.

[*]Previously you had a main area for all your subscriptions, your rep feedback, and all your settings (the control panel). Now you have none of that. Clicking on your name, then your profile takes you to everything you’ve posted, not updates to the things you’ve displayed an interest in and subscribed to, why do I need to see my posts, I’ve seen them, I wrote them. To get to the areas you want is a bit of a chore, you have to search through a few menu’s to get there. You can argue that people will get used to it, and you’d be mostly right, but new people looking at it won’t bother and older members that have been teetering on the brink of quitting for a while will give up on it, as is happening.

[*]Also the removal of user rep seems a massive own goal. People genuinely used this a lot and it made users want to help each other just for the sake of getting the thanks. This may seem silly, but I can assure you it was one of the reasons there were so many people willing to help out on threads, such as the ‘Help with deals’ thread.

[*]There’s too many categories now as well to my eye, you seem to have to drill down through a lot of menu’s to get where you want to, only to find not much there.

[*]It’s slow. Sometimes very slow.

[*]There’s also a few bugs still out there, such as ‘Not authorised to view this page’, not being able to correct spelling when replying to a post, and another one which slips my mind right now.

You’ve mentioned that you want to be a community driven group, on this one I think the community have unanimously spoken against it, so I guess where we go from here will put the truth or lie to test on that statement.

Many thanks for taking the time to provide detailed feedback on issues relating to the forum upgrade. I'm going to collate all of the problems and then present them to a dev to fix as they need addressing sooner rather than later. Re the number of categories you are all welcome to suggest what you do and don't want to see as it is your forum. If anyone else would like to flag any issues up relating to the forum then now's the time!

Isn't it a sign of the times though? When the forum was created there wasn't twitter' date=' Facebook etc. So hence why it was very busy and popular. We've now seen a shift of people communicating with one another on social media and we get lots of requests asking if managers can set up their own groups on Facebook for example. However, I don't think it helped the forum when we removed the visible forum button from the menu in the game (as forums still appeal to some people) as this hide it away from everyone. I love the forum as think it's got a great community as well as numerous characters (some have even become part of the furniture like yourself). That is why I requested a visible forum button on the desktop site as I want to encourage those that like to use forums to come and join. This is part of our overall strategy as we want to be very community driven.

[/quote']

Mate if that's the case then why are forums thriving in other gaming communities and I don't mean gaming communities for ps4 ect where people go to report bugs and complain so no it isn't. This forum made the game and people even left the game and continued to use the forum the forum is a huge part of the SM experience and I don't think optimizing it for mobile use is a well thought idea if there's less and less using it there was really no point. Also if your right and it is a sign of the times and numbers are declining rapidly might i add then why not change it back to what it was for the people who do enjoy it?

There's no match reports there's barely any player ratings threads there's well basically nothing now and everything has been made more difficult well not difficult but tiresome to navigate and keep in touch with people. It looks good but it's not working and you sort of admitted that yourself so what's the plan? I see no reason why it isn't in the best interest to make it easier to navigate and promote the forum more so than a tab on the main screen. You usually see a influx of new members in the summer so why not revert back or i don't know just fix it before it dies completely as this place has become depressing almost to visit.

11 MEMBERS ONLINE says it all does it not? :(

I could warm to this but one thing that really really frustrates me is that when I read new posts and exit the thread it still shows me that the thread has unread posts. But I already read them! Something has to be done about this. Or maybe this only happens to me?

Also. Why is there two "League predictions" and two "Miscellaneous" subforums? Put other treads in the bigger subforum and that's it. One is enough. And why some subforums have "Home" "thread"? It's not needed imo.