Squad sizes, Player hogging & Free Agents

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Smarter AI Chairmans would be a brilliant addition to the over-all game-play aspect, not too sure if it would sort the squad size issue though (or have much of an impact, I say that as someone with re

I second and third that motion. 250 player squads. Why on earth am I involved with bidding wars with these managers. Surely the chairman got to be saying"Didnt we buy that young philipino lad the othe

Now your talking.:)

I asked the original poster and got no reply' date=' maybe you can answer as you are in favour of the idea.

How is this idea enforceable? What would happen to a player in the youth squad when he reaches the age limit? Do you have to sell him? Do you have to sell a player in the first team squad to make room? How long would you get to sell them or would the Chairman sell them?

I asked the original poster and got no reply' date=' maybe you can answer as you are in favour of the idea.

How is this idea enforceable? What would happen to a player in the youth squad when he reaches the age limit? Do you have to sell him? Do you have to sell a player in the first team squad to make room? How long would you get to sell them or would the Chairman sell them?

Nothing too sudden. Last turn of every season. You have to turn your squad into whatever criteria has been set. Mandatory sales all round for refuseniks. Should make alot of talent availible in anotherwise redundant part of the SM season. So exciting. Cant wait for squad capping. Managers at last will be compelled to engage in transfer activity with other managers. Something which is largely redundant.

I do share some of the concerns about squad caps' date=' I can see how it would annoy players who have huge squads, so the simple, easy and [b']only[/b] solution available is make it an admin feature that can be turned on/off.

You could even allow the admin to define the squad cap parameters to make each Gameworld a bit more unique. Variation breeds success.

Yeah, I agree. Maybe options for squad size caps depending on stadium capacity. League I'm in has it and it works well. 37 clubs in league, all managers relatively content and the talent isn't as concentrated to one or two clubs as the cap varies from 45 to 60. Capacity of 10k-20k = 60 ¦ 20k-30k = 55 ¦ 30k-40k = 50 ¦ 40k+ = 45.

I'm in the 45 category, and though it was hard for me to begin with (had around 75 players when we implemented it so had to sell nearly half my squad), it hasn't been that much of an issue and has seen a rennaisance in the league as there was a spell where there were just around 20 teams full and now it is nearly double that.

Nothing too sudden. Last turn of every season. You have to turn your squad into whatever criteria has been set. Mandatory sales all round for refuseniks. Should make alot of talent availible in anotherwise redundant part of the SM season. So exciting. Cant wait for squad capping. Managers at last will be compelled to engage in transfer activity with other managers. Something which is largely redundant.

I agree. Prior to the squad cap implementation in my league, certain teams were keeping players and not selling any but now there are a lot more deals being done between teams in the league and is breathing life back into things.

I agree with Redsky that something needs to be done about the rating system. Shame its not being discussed until September but I hope the rest of the main five leagues are done in the near future as it stopping after the German review is weird.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to see so many people feel the same as I do about this, actually. I'm only relatively new to SM, coming about two years ago now, but most of my activity has come in the last year. In a few of the worlds I'm in, there's a fair few clubs with 100+ players, and a couple reaching about 250. On top of this, nobody is willing to engage in transfer activity for any player, even when offered maximum sums for a player that they never, and will never, use. Most of them can't even be bothered to reject my offers. I always thought it had been ingrained in the culture of the game, and a few of the posts in here confirm that for me a little. I think someone posted in here earlier something with the gist of saying that the point of the game was to stack your squad with all of the best players in the world, and future-best? Eh... I think there should be *some* room for allowing these Roman Abramovich-style tactics here, but not nearly to this extent. It's less about making your own squad better, and more about making sure others can't make theirs better, isn't it? And that's just crap.

I don't think that a rigid squad size is the way to go necessarily, but player concerns could use some real improvements. I've had a player in one world start to get upset that he wasn't playing, while he was out with a long-term injury. After that he was playing 75% of the games, only removed when rested, and shot up 3 levels of concern in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile, I see 90+ rated players that have been at a club and not played at all for seasons, that haven't been paid off and aren't worried at all. It should be a bit more realistic I think, where especially players rated that highly should know that they should be playing regularly, and if not they request to move. Simple as that.

Im not too fussed how they compel folk with 70 plus players to reduce their number. Whether its squad cap or another method. Concerns is absolutely painful. The journey from level 1 to level 5 is far too long and offers no encouragement to talent hunters. Seems crazy that SM allows the top 10% of a gold championship monopolise all the best players and many of those players never play/never will play a game. Theres one team in my game world who has 100+ squad and every player unavailible to transfer. The best part of this game for me is the trading but currently most managers with anything to trade sit far too comfortable with their big squads with no need to trade.

The best part of this game for me is the trading but currently most managers with anything to trade sit far too comfortable with their big squads with no need to trade.

With the way P/E values are at the moment, I don't think you will ever see an increase in trading between managers. Any excess players will be sold for cash. Then, after the ban is up, it will be a scramble with the big clubs winning again.

With the way P/E values are at the moment' date=' I don't think you will ever see an increase in trading between managers. Any excess players will be sold for cash. Then, after the ban is up, it will be a scramble with the big clubs winning again.

[/quote']

Yep totally agree with this.

With the way P/E values are at the moment' date=' I don't think you will ever see an increase in trading between managers. Any excess players will be sold for cash. Then, after the ban is up, it will be a scramble with the big clubs winning again.

[/quote']

I agree. On the rare oppurtunity a manager does choose to deal you can be scuppered by restrictive offers. Itd be nice to be able to offer more than 2 players in exchange and yes more generous P/E values.

I'll try and post an update to what we're planning on implementing later today if not tomorrow to keep everyone in the loop and also to get feedback.

May have to do something about the forum as well, its been dead since the change and its not showing any signs of picking up.

• 10 months later...

my last post ion this topic was anticipating losing my top prospects that i had signed 5/6/7 years ago even before anyone knew what changes SM would make, ta-da

losing coutinho marquinos varane sterling plus more even though i bought them 16 17 year olds at the expense at the time of improving my first 11

THANKS FOR NOTHING

This is the biggest red herring that people who enjoy complaining have wasted people's time with for years. I've yet to really see a single convincing argument that it's something the SM staff should be stepping in over.

If they were going to, I'll begin taking the squad size discussion seriously when there is an option to punish people carrying a completely unrealistic squad of 21 players with top division teams, watching people pull two for one trade swaps to get hold of every 93+ rated player they can and getting down to a minimum sized all star team. This, to me, is far far worse, and far more boring, far more damaging, than punishing people for carrying the real life squad size of Juventus or Real Madrid. There is nothing remotely interesting about that, and on top of that most of the actual good managers don't do it, which says something.

I have played for 6 years now, and honestly, I can't name a single worthwhile league I've ever played in full of "21 star players and nothing else" managers, and seen very few ruined by people that read the IBWM 100. That's just my personal opinion, but it's never been hard finding that many other managers seem to agree.

Let's also not kid ourselves. It's not the SM staff's job to moderate and hand hold people that join public leagues, see manager styles they hate, and choose to stay instead of joining one of the other 50 000 available leagues. It's not as if finding a league that suits you is hard. And if you already have a top team and a new manager you don't like joins, what do you care? You should be winning anyway. The solution is to stop joining leagues with awful managers in it (however you personally choose to define "awful manager").

I'd really prefer if an incredibly small minority of complainers just learned to moderate themselves, instead of screaming FIX IT for all of eternity. It is not the SM's staff's job to tell every individual player how to play, it never has been, and it really seems like something that would be a huge amount of work for very, very little possible payoff with huge amounts of attached frustration.

My best 18 players on one of my teams (few other teams struggling in this regard) , 16 now have concerns

yes 16 of my best 18 players all have concerns even though they play REGUALRY .............. EVERY WEEK MESSI LEVEL 3 ######FFF

AMM a little bit because I wanted to play sterling marquinos gimenez these last 18 months (klnda forced too)

these last 8 years yesssssssssssssssssssssss 8 years of sacrificing my first team to buy youths and pay there wages

not even that, even playing weaker teams to keep the youths happy 89+? ahead of inesta messi etc

now my youths request transfer and messi iniesta level 3

phuuuu

i debated enuff on the issue of player caps hogging youth development gameplay etc etc etc etc etc

noting more to say

6/7 years of investment in my face, nothing more to say

other than obensities

no respect for those managers who not only stayed with there club for 10 years, invested in youth 8/9 years ago ahead of (at the time) having the best squads in the game-world they participated

don't even try to argue how much BS THIS IS

these last days losing MARQUINOS VARANE STERLING and at the same timer almost losing 16 of my best 18 players even though these last 18 months often playing weaker teams at the exspense of titles etc

JOKE

oa ya marquinos varane sterling all went to bayern real madrid chelsea etc (even though they played alot)

phuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

since the clarifiaction on the 38 TURNS thing by steven, the complaining has died down (see that thjread). the mechanics are actually reasonable shels. Since they were clarified ive had great success in managing all of my teams perfectly, an 89 might crop a lvl 1 on me if ive ignored him a little but nothing major. The change was very murky and i somewhat agreed with upraor, but it has been altered and clarified and in this fellas opinion reasonably fair.

No one doubts you managing and longevity (i assume you are ShelsTM in game). I am in a few of your world and you have alot of teams on the all time leader boards.

My best 18 players on one of my teams (few other teams struggling in this regard) , 16 now have concerns

yes 16 of my best 18 players all have concerns even though they play REGUALRY .............. EVERY WEEK MESSI LEVEL 3 ######FFF

AMM a little bit because I wanted to play sterling marquinos gimenez these last 18 months (klnda forced too)

these last 8 years yesssssssssssssssssssssss 8 years of sacrificing my first team to buy youths and pay there wages

not even that, even playing weaker teams to keep the youths happy 89+? ahead of inesta messi etc

now my youths request transfer and messi iniesta level 3

phuuuu

i debated enuff on the issue of player caps hogging youth development gameplay etc etc etc etc etc

noting more to say

6/7 years of investment in my face, nothing more to say

other than obensities

no respect for those managers who not only stayed with there club for 10 years, invested in youth 8/9 years ago ahead of (at the time) having the best squads in the game-world they participated

don't even try to argue how much BS THIS IS

these last days losing MARQUINOS VARANE STERLING and at the same timer almost losing 16 of my best 18 players even though these last 18 months often playing weaker teams at the exspense of titles etc

JOKE

oa ya marquinos varane sterling all went to bayern real madrid chelsea etc (even though they played alot)

phuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

What's your squad size? I think concerns depend about your number of players you got too now. This is because if you buy new players and you have high players number, they know it's difficult for them wishing to play as now as in the future because you got too much players before him. It's to counter player hogging I suppose.

All my squads have a size of 60 players or less. In all of my squads I've never had this kind of matter. Think about it.