Sign in to follow this  
infernitoed

The Ashes 2015

Now the sensational one day series with New Zealand is over with and only one T-20 remaining, it's time to focus on the Ashes. I can't say I'm overly happy with yet another Ashes series coming up. This is the third since 2013. One too many. However, the convicts are here and there ain't nothing we can do about it. For those of you that don't know, the last Ashes tour didn't go well for England. They won 1 game in all three formats, losing all the others. They had players making up illnesses, players deciding they'd retire once the Urn was gone and, even worse, they made Mitchell Johnson look good. It was a woefully abject tour and one that deeply scarred the England set up. The year that followed was nearly as depressing losing to a crap Sri Lankan team at home, getting battered in one day series left, right and centre and then having possibly the worst world cup by one of the main 8 teams in it's history.

Mercifully, things have changed for the better. The woeful Peter Moores is out on his arse. His even more inept and useless superiors and backers have also been given the chop and the team now looks much better, younger and fresher. The likeable cheekiness of Joe Root, the potential explosiveness of Ben Stokes, with bat and ball, the excitement of Jos Buttler provides some much needed vigour to the test set up. The excellent find of Mark Wood, who registered at 93.3MPH during the tests with NZ, will put it up the Australians back-bottoms. The major concern for England is spin with Moeen Ali failing to even get close to doing an adequate job. Adil Rashid could possibly find himself in the side for the test series after showing plenty of tricks with the ball, along with bottle and class with the bat. Australia start as favourites but I would certainly say they're not as clear favourites as they would have been if this series would have been played three months ago/

You're better....at the moment. We've been run by absolute mugs. And certain, key individuals of the previous team proved total cowards. Make no mistake, you are distinctly beatable. Your spin is filth and there are very obvious holes in the batting line up. If we keep Smith quiet, we win. Simple as.

I was pretty shocked with the result tbh, everyone just kept saying it was a flat track, batsman's paradise and then England go and lose 20 wickets for 400. They really need to sort out positions 2-4. Root should be at 3 as he is their best batsman and Balance and Bell must be pretty nervous about their positions at the moment, luckily for them (and us) KP is out of favour.

I was pretty shocked with the result tbh' date=' everyone just kept saying it was a flat track, batsman's paradise and then England go and lose 20 wickets for 400. They really need to sort out positions 2-4. Root should be at 3 as he is their best batsman and Balance and Bell must be pretty nervous about their positions at the moment, luckily for them (and us) KP is out of favour.[/quote']

The way England collapsed was stunning though, I expected a win after Australia declared but not by that margin.

Ballance was dropped from the squad, they got Bairstow in for him. Root will probably play at No. 3 then. Even Lyth should have been dropped, but he's got another chance.

KP is still one of England's best batsman, as you said, fortunately he's out of favour.

I hope Nevill plays the next game rather than Haddin, he had a great debut and should continue.

The way England collapsed was stunning though' date=' I expected a win after Australia declared but not by that margin.

Ballance was dropped from the squad, they got Bairstow in for him. Root will probably play at No. 3 then. Even Lyth should have been dropped, but he's got another chance.

KP is still one of England's best batsman, as you said, fortunately he's out of favour.

I hope Nevill plays the next game rather than Haddin, he had a great debut and should continue.[/quote']

All the talk here in Aus is that Haddin is out for the rest of the Ashes, and maybe has finished his career. Haddin played the tour game but as a Fielder with Neville playing Keeper, was was impressed with his debut.

All the talk here in Aus is that Haddin is out for the rest of the Ashes' date=' and maybe has finished his career. Haddin played the tour game but as a Fielder with Neville playing Keeper, was was impressed with his debut.[/quote']

That's good to hear then!

The year that followed was nearly as depressing losing to a crap Sri Lankan team at home.

Just saw this.

The Sri Lankan team which beat you didn't have household names, but what they had was grit, hard work and graft, something England didn't show. The tireless performances of the pacers to bowl out England (Anderson the last wicket) was truly a great performance, as was Mathews' knock.

So don't classify the Sri Lankan team as crap, because that description was more apt for England at the time.

Couldve said the reverse thing after Lords.

We're the opposite of England at the moment, Top 3 doing good, 4-6 couldnt hit a beach ball out the middle and Neville having to do what Haddin has done in the past and salvage something with the bowlers. Really says something about the depth of batting talent at the moment that 35 year old Voges debuted rather than some young blood, S. Marsh is an opener and hasnt done too well down the order so isnt the answer imo. Mitch Marsh or Shane Watson are about as good as each other at the moment, so id stick by the young fella and Clarke needs to give up the captaincy as i think its finally weighing on his mind and effecting his batting. Hearing Clarke may be put back to number 5, might not be a bad thing either.

Couldve said the reverse thing after Lords.

We're the opposite of England at the moment' date=' Top 3 doing good, 4-6 couldnt hit a beach ball out the middle and Neville having to do what Haddin has done in the past and salvage something with the bowlers. Really says something about the depth of batting talent at the moment that 35 year old Voges debuted rather than some young blood, S. Marsh is an opener and hasnt done too well down the order so isnt the answer imo. Mitch Marsh or Shane Watson are about as good as each other at the moment, so id stick by the young fella and Clarke needs to give up the captaincy as i think its finally weighing on his mind and effecting his batting. Hearing Clarke may be put back to number 5, might not be a bad thing either.[/quote']

I agree with this. Clarke to No. 5 is necessary, he's really struggling. England sadly look more convincing than Australia.

Australia A won their series (albeit in India), and trying out some of those batsman (Burns, Bancroft, maybe a recall for Khawaja) at home would be good.

I agree with this. Clarke to No. 5 is necessary' date=' he's really struggling. England sadly look more convincing than Australia.

Australia A won their series (albeit in India), and trying out some of those batsman (Burns, Bancroft, maybe a recall for Khawaja) at home would be good.

[/quote']

We have 3 of the top 5 batsman and bowlers including 1 and 2 in each category for the series so far. but were down 2-1. Our best are on top, but its the bottom few letting us down big time. Hazlewood should have killed it on that wicket, but really let us down, Harris was a big loss, just like Anderson will be now, ill assume Woods comes back in, Finn coming good again is really good timing. Johnson and Starc averaging more than Clarke and Voges says it all about our middle order, its been the issue for a while.