Sign in to follow this  
antondrobnjak

Player Positions and Skills Revision

I created this post to discuss all player changes needed in the game. When you report some suggestion you should corroborate it with some prooving link. I'd want start with two 90 rp names:

DZAGOEV, Alan: he needs DM© posistion add. He is playing every new season match as a DM.

YOUNG, Ashley: he needs D(L) position add. He has been playing by previous season as leftback at ManU.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/alan-.../spieler/69683

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ashle.../spieler/14086

ANDREA BARZAGLI now moved to right full-back. Barzagli is a treasure and he should be appreciated like one. He is playing unbelievably well right now. It's come to the point where if I see a player making a run on the right side of Juventus' defense I'm not even worried. Why? Because Barzagli's got it covered!

Angel Di Maria: M,AM(RLC),F(RL)

Arda Turan: M,F(RL),AM(RLC)

Arjen Robben: M®,AM,F(RL)

Franck Ribery: M,AM,F(RL)

Isco: M,AM(RLC),F(RL)

James Rodriguez: M(L),AM(RLC),F(RL)

Juan Mata: M®,AM(RLC),F(RL)

Douglas Costa: M,F(RL),AM(RLC)

Kingsley Coman: M,AM,F(RL)

Willian: M,F(RL),AM(RLC)

Yannick Carrasco: M,F(RL),AM(RLC)

Mesut Ozil: AM(RLC),F(RL)

Kevin De Bruyne: M,F(RL),AM(RLC)

David Silva: AM(RLC),F(RL)

Edinson Cavani: AM(RL),F(RLC)

Memphis Depay: M,AM,F(RL)

Andres Iniesta: M,AM(LC),F(L)

Mats Hummels: D©

Daniele De Rossi: DM,M©

Sergi Roberto: D,F®,DM,AM,M(RC)

Mos tof these are way off the mark.

Angel Di Maria: M(Cn),AM(RLC),F(RL) centre mid achieved only

Arda Turan: M,F(RL),AM(RLC) ok

Arjen Robben: AM,F(RL) fwd positions only

Franck Ribery: AM,F(RL) fwd positions only

Isco: M(Cn),AM(RLC) in Real 4-4-2 he plays as centre mid

James Rodriguez: M(Cn),AM(RLC),F(RL) in Real 4-4-2 he plays as centre mid

Juan Mata: AM(RLC),F(RL) offensive skills only

Douglas Costa: M,F(L),AM(RLC) ok

Kingsley Coman: AM,F(RL) at moment he plays as winger

Willian: AM(RLC) Chelsea plays 4-2-3-1, so he hasn't achieved positions in the middle

Yannick Carrasco: AM(RLC) Monaco plays 4-2-3-1, so he hasn't achieved positions in the middle

Mesut Ozil: AM(RLC) Arsenal plays 4-2-3-1, so he hasn't achieved forward positions

Kevin De Bruyne: M(Cn),AM(RLC) City plays 4-2-3-1, so he hasn't achieved positions in the middle, just centre by Wolfsburg games

David Silva: AM(RLC),F(RL) I could agree

Edinson Cavani: AM(RL),F(RLC) I could agree

Memphis Depay: AM,F(RL) offensive skills only

Andres Iniesta: M,AM(LC) not forward position to add him

Mats Hummels: D© ok

Daniele De Rossi: D,DM,M© he still can play as centre back

Sergi Roberto: D®,DM,M(RC),AM(R) played as right winger at Barça

I correct some player position. (Cn) stays for "centre".

I'm sorry metaphisical but I don't agree it at all. As I said in other posts, when a player position change is requested, you should validate it with proofs.

It's some day users are seeing players in different positions and it sounds a bit strange. I want to remember that there are different formations by 3-5-2 and market is ever opened: sell useless, buy usefull, that's easy.

I'm sorry metaphisical but I don't agree it at all. As I said in other posts, when a player position change is requested, you should validate it with proofs.

It's some day users are seeing players in different positions and it sounds a bit strange. I want to remember that there are different formations by 3-5-2 and market is ever opened: sell useless, buy usefull, that's easy.

the proof is watching them play, Anton.

it may or may not be logged on a website, but if you watch them play you see why I made the suggestions I did.

also I don't play 352 with any of my teams and haven't for a while - and I don't need these changes to keep playing 3412 with one of my sides (the only flat midfield formation I use) - I argue for these changes because it's the right thing for the game. it will help me enjoy it more, yes, but that's not my primary concern.

he played for Benfica, Real Madrid (in 13/14) and Argentina (in World Cup, and Copa) as a hybrid role M(LC). and when he played on the right for Madrid under Mourinho functionally he often played in M® spaces, certainly he had those kind of defensive duties.

glad you agree.

Pep routinely plays him on the right of midfield in a 3421.

look where he starts moves, and the responsibilities he has. if he was fit Pep would play him on the left of midfield in the 3421.

functionally occupies M(L) spaces when he plays M©. always drifts to the left flank. when playing on the left of Madrid's 4321 also occupies M(L) defensive responsibilities and positioning. the forward positions are there because he can play on the wide positions in a front three (does for Spain and Madrid) and you can't play there in a flat front three on SM without a F(RL).

played M(L) for all of Colombia's 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign and the start of the 2018 one too. only moved behind the striker because of Falcao's injury at the tournament (and his terrible form since then).

he has the defensive responsibilities of a M® when playing on the right for United. repeatedly seen near the 10 yard line chasing wingers back. that's not what an AM® does.

glad you agree.

again, plays wide of midfield in a 3421.

even in Chelsea's 4231, he functionally spends a lot of time in M(RL) zones, especially defensively. the only AM(RL) players Mourinho let play without M(RL) responsibilities were Cristiano and then Hazard last season. the forward positions are there because he can play on the wide positions in a front three (does for Brazil and Shakhtar) and you can't play there in a flat front three on SM without a F(RL).

doesn't play for Monaco anymore. has taken over Arda Turan's role in Atletico Madrid. so plays down the sides of midfield in M(RL) positions in defensive and offensive transitions and begins attacks from there also. the forward positions are there because he can play on the wide positions in a front three (has done for Belgium) and you can't play there in a flat front three on SM without a F(RL).

the forward positions are there because he can play on the wide positions in a front three (has done for Madrid, Germany, and even Arsenal tbh) and you can't play there in a flat front three on SM without a F(RL).

for all three of his clubs he begins attacks in M(RL) zones and defends there too. the forward positions are there because he can play on the wide positions in a front three (does for Belgium) and you can't play there in a flat front three on SM without a F(RL).

glad you agree.

glad you agree.

for United he occupies defensive M(RL) spaces, tracking back to as deep as 10 yards from his goal. his defensive responsibility in LvG's system shows him capable of playing wide midfield.

the forward position is there because he can play wide left in a front three (has done many times for Spain and Barcelona) and you can't play there in a flat front three on SM without a F(L).

glad you agree.

he hasn't played there since 2012 and unlike Busquets and Alonso does not functionally occupy a CB space during play. clearly plays in a midfield zone at all times. I could concede to leave him as he is, but it's a reach (mind you him still being rated higher than 91 is a reach too).

the forward position is there because he can play on the right of a front three (did for Barcelona vs. BATE and in El Clasico) and you can't play there in a flat front three on SM without a F®.

the proof is watching them play, Anton.

it may or may not be logged on a website, but if you watch them play you see why I made the suggestions I did.

also I don't play 352 with any of my teams and haven't for a while - and I don't need these changes to keep playing 3412 with one of my sides (the only flat midfield formation I use) - I argue for these changes because it's the right thing for the game. it will help me enjoy it more, yes, but that's not my primary concern.

he played for Benfica, Real Madrid (in 13/14) and Argentina (in World Cup, and Copa) as a hybrid role M(LC). and when he played on the right for Madrid under Mourinho functionally he often played in M® spaces, certainly he had those kind of defensive duties. Proof?

glad you agree.

Pep routinely plays him on the right of midfield in a 3421. Proof?

look where he starts moves, and the responsibilities he has. if he was fit Pep would play him on the left of midfield in the 3421. Proof?

functionally occupies M(L) spaces when he plays M©. always drifts to the left flank. when playing on the left of Madrid's 4321 also occupies M(L) defensive responsibilities and positioning. the forward positions are there because he can play on the wide positions in a front three (does for Spain and Madrid) and you can't play there in a flat front three on SM without a F(RL). Proof?

played M(L) for all of Colombia's 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign and the start of the 2018 one too. only moved behind the striker because of Falcao's injury at the tournament (and his terrible form since then). Proof?

he has the defensive responsibilities of a M® when playing on the right for United. repeatedly seen near the 10 yard line chasing wingers back. that's not what an AM® does. Proof?

glad you agree.

again, plays wide of midfield in a 3421. Proof?

even in Chelsea's 4231, he functionally spends a lot of time in M(RL) zones, especially defensively. the only AM(RL) players Mourinho let play without M(RL) responsibilities were Cristiano and then Hazard last season. the forward positions are there because he can play on the wide positions in a front three (does for Brazil and Shakhtar) and you can't play there in a flat front three on SM without a F(RL). Proof?

doesn't play for Monaco anymore. has taken over Arda Turan's role in Atletico Madrid. so plays down the sides of midfield in M(RL) positions in defensive and offensive transitions and begins attacks from there also. the forward positions are there because he can play on the wide positions in a front three (has done for Belgium) and you can't play there in a flat front three on SM without a F(RL). Proof?

the forward positions are there because he can play on the wide positions in a front three (has done for Madrid, Germany, and even Arsenal tbh) and you can't play there in a flat front three on SM without a F(RL). Proof?

for all three of his clubs he begins attacks in M(RL) zones and defends there too. the forward positions are there because he can play on the wide positions in a front three (does for Belgium) and you can't play there in a flat front three on SM without a F(RL). Proof?

glad you agree.

glad you agree.

for United he occupies defensive M(RL) spaces, tracking back to as deep as 10 yards from his goal. his defensive responsibility in LvG's system shows him capable of playing wide midfield. Proof?

the forward position is there because he can play wide left in a front three (has done many times for Spain and Barcelona) and you can't play there in a flat front three on SM without a F(L). Proof?

glad you agree.

he hasn't played there since 2012 (since... october 2015) and unlike Busquets and Alonso does not functionally occupy a CB space during play. clearly plays in a midfield zone at all times. I could concede to leave him as he is, but it's a reach (mind you him still being rated higher than 91 is a reach too). DDR can ever play as CB. Proof ---->

the forward position is there because he can play on the right of a front three (did for Barcelona vs. BATE and in El Clasico) and you can't play there in a flat front three on SM without a F®.

It's not enough watching games. Obviously players move up, down, right and left in the pitch during a match. Centre backs could go forward in the opponent area when corner kick is assigned but they are not forwards and forward positions are not requested. I saw often Aubameyang coming back down right flank to help defensive action last season but this doesn't mean he needs midfielder or fullback positions added. Proofs are links like transfermarkt (I linked up just Daniele De Rossi, let's find you the remaining).

So link here what you are asserting to corroborate it.

It's a bit strange users' interest to change position to offensive players just after SM relaunch. I'd like to suggest again to change different formation by 3-5-2 or buy/exchange offensive players with more defensives ignored.

It's not enough watching games. Obviously players move up, down, right and left in the pitch during a match. Centre backs could go forward in the opponent area when corner kick is assigned but they are not forwards and forward positions are not requested. I saw often Aubameyang coming back down right flank to help defensive action last season but this doesn't mean he needs midfielder or fullback positions added. Proofs are links like transfermarkt (I linked up just Daniele De Rossi, let's find you the remaining).

So link here what you are asserting to corroborate it.

firstly: fair enough on De Rossi. I did not see any of those games (every time I watched him play for Roma in the last 3 seasons he has been playing at DM - and not playing well, either) but having just watched some highlights, I retract my statement.

as for the rest of it: watch them play the game, that's the proof. for all of them. I'm not going to trawl through transfermarkt or some other site to do your homework for you just because you haven't watched them play games.

and yes football is fluid, that's the point. it's fluid and players are versatile. they can occupy different spaces on the field and the formational changes I've listed represent that.

e.g. does Isco start exactly precisely at M(L) in a 352? no. has he shown, with his play in a 433 and 4231, with the defensive role he plays and where he initialises attacks from and the zones of the pitch he occupies, that he essentially plays in M(L) as part of his usual position? yes. does he thus have the skill-set to play M(L) in a 352? yes. could he play M(L) in a 352? absolutely.

ergo, he must have the ability to play M(L) in a 352.

also: the Aubameyang argument doesn't work. mostly because he plays as a #9 now. but also because he doesn't initialise attacks from midfield zones, he just tracks back into them. most of the players I mentioned track back into fullback zones, did I suggest they should have fullback positions? no. one of the roles of an M(RL) is to track back in such a way and defend the entire middle third of their flank. that's why I didn't suggest Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar or Eden Hazard should have M(RL) - they don't initialise play from the M(RL) zone, at most they track back into it to defend.

the fact that you're more convinced by a website like transfermarkt than actually watching the games and judging from that speaks volumes.

It's a bit strange users' interest to change position to offensive players just after SM relaunch. I'd like to suggest again to change different formation by 3-5-2 or buy/exchange offensive players with more defensives ignored.

I don't use 352. how many times do I have to say it?

SM's changes have not effected my squads or my ability to field my best teams because I built my squads sensibly. I have not had to buy or sell any player. this is not a case I pursue out of self-interest but rather accuracy and fairness.

finally: if SM was like FM (or, indeed, real-life) and you could train players to learn new positions, none of this would be necessary.

just a thought.

We won't get the point, I suppose. ALL players have OFFENSIVE and DEFENSIVE instructions in real life, centre-forward too. Defensive play starts by the offensive lines and offensive play starts by back. Saying a winger come back to help in defensive work means so nothing. It depends of what formation and where it put a player in real life. In a 4-2-3-1 set up 3-men behind CF all are in OM position. So they all are OM only. If in real life manager put him wide or in the centre mid in a 4-4-2, so they need a position change/add. But playing as OM in a 4-2-3-1 doesn't mean players need M position add.

Following your way of thinking all players could play everywhere: so why give them skills and positions?

This is the point. So: I reject all your wrong requests.

P.S.: If a player is not playing in his old position this is not a reason to remove positions. I read lot of forumers asking remove Cuadrado's defensive position. He played again as fullback just last 4 games. Because as this way suggests I'd reject Turan M(RL) positions adding. Last but not least: playing few games in different position in real life for a player doesn't mean he needs a position change.

P.P.S.: If SM was like FM I'd leave the game. This is a game real-based.

as for the rest of it: watch them play the game, that's the proof. for all of them. I'm not going to trawl through transfermarkt or some other site to do your homework for you just because you haven't watched them play games.

This seems like a very aroggant thing to say. Do you think you are the only one who actually watches games?

I agree with anton on this one. Additional positions should only be awarded to players that deserved them.

In a Chelsea vs Psg game when Zlatan recieved a red card, I remember matuidi shoe in on the left flank basically playing a ML in a 4-4-1. I remember neymar playing a kvazi wing back in another psg game where barca played something like a 3-4-3. Should they get MR and ML positions? No, because they don't have the skillset required to play those positions just like many of the players you listed above.

We won't get the point, I suppose. ALL players have OFFENSIVE and DEFENSIVE instructions in real life, centre-forward too. Defensive play starts by the offensive lines and offensive play starts by back. Saying a winger come back to help in defensive work means so nothing. It depends of what formation and where it put a player in real life. In a 4-2-3-1 set up 3-men behind CF all are in OM position. So they all are OM only. If in real life manager put him wide or in the centre mid in a 4-4-2, so they need a position change/add. But playing as OM in a 4-2-3-1 doesn't mean players need M position add.

if a player is playing AM(L) in a 4231, he may or may not have the ability to play M(L) in a 352. just because a player is playing in an offensive position, doesn't mean that he is incapable of playing further back.

each individual case is different. hence my listing of specific players and pointing out why they deserve M(RL) and F(RL) - not just because of skill-sets but because of the ROLE they have ON THE PITCH.

Cristiano Ronaldo plays AM(L) in a 4231 very differently from Isco.

as is the case with Isco, yes their official starting position could be AM(L) in a 4231, but when they spend a great deal of time in M(L) zones, both offensively and defensively, it is clear they could play M(L) if the manager chose to deploy that formation, because functionally they already do play the position.

you said SM is "real-based" - well this real-life versatility should be available to SM users then, shouldn't it?

Following your way of thinking all players could play everywhere: so why give them skills and positions?

that's not what I'm saying nor is it consistent with my argument. don't reduce yourself to straw-man arguments, please.

This is the point. So: I reject all your wrong requests.

I wasn't asking you?

In a Chelsea vs Psg game when Zlatan recieved a red card, I remember matuidi shoe in on the left flank basically playing a ML in a 4-4-1. I remember neymar playing a kvazi wing back in another psg game where barca played something like a 3-4-3. Should they get MR and ML positions? No, because they don't have the skillset required to play those positions just like many of the players you listed above.

except they clearly do have the skill-set because they played there and played very well.

but they don't play there regularly as part of their primarily or even secondary position, so they shouldn't get M(RL).

please don't use straw-man tactic to misrepresent my point. thank you.

the big flaw with using transfermarkt as your positional bible is they don't run soccerwiki. so what is a RW to transfermarkt may in fact be a RM in real-life, and thus would be on soccerwiki. so we would have a disconnect.

as an example, according to transfermarkt, Arjen Robben has played no games at M(R ) this season: click here

meanwhile, as you can see from looking at the lineup on soccerway, he very definitely has played M(R ) this season. oh and there's Kingsley Coman playing M(L), as you doubted that as well: click here

see what I mean?

(also: transfermarkt don't have international data, at least I can't see it, which further makes it unsuitable as the positional bible)

meanwhile, as you can see from looking at the lineup on soccerway, he very definitely has played M(R ) this season. oh and there's Kingsley Coman playing M(L), as you doubted that as well: click here

I saw Muller playing a CM position five times in the last twelve Bayern games on soccerway, so I wouldn't put my eggs in that basket.

Based on heat maps from the games they started this season I calculated the amount of time Robben and Coman spend in each third of the field. As benchmarks I used Neymar as an offensive winger, an AM® or a F® and Koke as a more defensive winger or a M®.

Defensive third          Middle third          Attacking third

Robben (7 games)                     6,35%                     30,18%                  63,47%              

Coman  (7 games)                     4,03%                     28,93%                  67,04%

Neymar (13 games)                   3,87%                     34,65%                  61,48%

Koke (11 games)                      13,75%                     50,31%                 35,94%

As shown above, both Robben and Coman spend most of their time in the final third, even more so than Neymar. On the other hand Koke is most active in the middle of the park and is the only player of the four that deserves a M® position.

Courtesy of Squawka.com

Player positions are clearly marked on the "Who Scored" web site which would be a true guide in my opinion.  Taking Isco and James Rodriguez as examples both are described as attacking midfielders notwithstanding that each has played at least one game (recorded on the same site) in a CM or LM role.

If Soccer World is going to reflect this greater flexibility in a player (both M LCR,& AM LCR) then the engine behind it would have to have the ability to change a player's attributes according to the position deployed.  So if Isco is played as a M C in a 3-5-2 formation, the manager / team don't get the advantage of his AM C skills as he's being played further back).

I doubt the engine can't do this marking the player as only a AM LCR (their "normal" position") seems the best approach to avoid unfair advantage.  If it means teams or formations having to be rejigged as a result then so be it.  Inconvenient, but not crippling albeit we now have a problem with 4-4-2 tactics as an example due to the dearth of quality M LRs

I saw Muller playing a CM position five times in the last twelve Bayern games on soccerway, so I wouldn't put my eggs in that basket.

Based on heat maps from the games they started this season I calculated the amount of time Robben and Coman spend in each third of the field. As benchmarks I used Neymar as an offensive winger, an AM® or a F® and Koke as a more defensive winger or a M®.

Defensive third          Middle third          Attacking third

Robben (7 games)                     6,35%                     30,18%                  63,47%              

Coman  (7 games)                     4,03%                     28,93%                  67,04%

Neymar (13 games)                   3,87%                     34,65%                  61,48%

Koke (11 games)                      13,75%                     50,31%                 35,94%

As shown above, both Robben and Coman spend most of their time in the final third, even more so than Neymar. On the other hand Koke is most active in the middle of the park and is the only player of the four that deserves a M® position.

Courtesy of Squawka.com

this is a brilliant argument, and I commend you for it, but it doesn't actually negate the point I have been making this whole time!

my line of argument hasn't been that the players I'm suggesting all play M(RL) at this very moment, because obviously not all of them do. my point has been that they all CAN and HAVE at some point in their careers. and because of this they deserve to have the position in their profile.

e.g. Di Maria won't play M(RL) now but he did for Benfica, Argentina and even in 13-14 for Real Madrid (well, that was M(LC) but yeah) - so why doesn't he have that in his profile? Cuadrado rightfully still has D(R ) and he rarely plays there anymore. De Rossi kept D(C ) and look after 2 years of not playing there he returned to that position this season to help Roma out (and embarrass me, lol). a player's positional profile should reflect something like their career position.

also: even if we just go by your data, Robben and Coman spend 30% of their games in the middle third. that is a significant amount of game-time spent in that area of the pitch. Robben is even over 5% in the defensive third. that's 5% of every game he's played! how does he not deserve to have M(R ) in his profile?

if your answer is because Neymar is also at 30% in the middle third, my answer would be that's where you have to watch them. because Neymar doesn't have to defend in the same way Robben does.

also Robben has LITERALLY lined up as a M(R ) in a 3421 this season (I know starting positions are very important to Anton). and yes I know soccerway can sometimes be erratic but if you watched that game, you'll know that's where he played.

You guys arent seeing Meta's point

The players he mentioned are all capable of playing those positions. They do not always play it. Probably not often at all, but they are certainly capable of it.

Also, Oliver Torres should have the M/AM (RLC) like Koke does. 

A lot of the positions assigned to players are very flawed. 

Has anyone else noticed that the current player 'skill' level 'up or down' system is not working? Or, and I would agree with this, the level of talent in World Football is in serious decline.

Why?

Well, when Soccermanager started the following (arbitrary) rules could be applied:- 

95 - 99 World class star

93 - 95 Top international

91 - 92 Top club player, international

89 - 90 Good player, usually on their way down, or emerged as top young talent

87 - 88 Player on the cusp of making it, or veteran on the way down.

82 - 86 Good club player at a lesser club

80 - 82 Lower division player, but at a challenging club

75 - 79 Lower league player, or youth talent just breaking through into the first team.

When I first joined the list of the very top players (93 - 99) was modest, but roughly one or two pages of the transfer sections for all outfield positions (D, M, F). But then the next category (91-29) went on for three or four pages or more.

Now, we have a handful of really top class players, and even those in the 91-92 category in many positions has shrunk to one page!  

So what are we saying? That in seven years (while I've been here) we've seen a terminal decline in international talent? Or is it more that the system is open abuse? Scores to settle between rival fans used to cut each others players ratings, embittered fans who's side are supposed to be 'top dogs' but won either a cup or nothing at all and are punishing their 'stars' on here, fans who know nothing about the player but listen to the brain dead pundits and vote on that basis?

Every single time the player changes come through maybe one or two (in the World!) players ratings go up, while loads go down. It's a daft way of doing things...