Guest Redsky

Soccerwiki - Player Positions

DI MARIA played for Benfica over 5 years ago in the 09/10 season...but hay, I am going to humor you for a moment.

Lets look at his statistics, you know...EVIDENCE, because, at the end of the day...that is all that matters. Lets put DI MARIA 'to bed':

07/08 season...1 game

1/1 LM...0 goals, 0 assists

08/09 season...2 games

1 /2 RW...0 goals, 0 assists

1 /2 LW...0 goals, 0 assists

09/10 season...7 games

6/7 LM...1 goal, 2 assists

1/7 LW...0 goals, 1 assist

10/11 season...44 games

38/44 RW...9 goals, 20 assists

6/44 LW...0 goals, 3 assists

11/12 season...24 games

17/24 RW...3 goals, 6 assists

6/24 RM...2 goals, 6 assists

1/24 AM...1 goals, 2 assists

12/13 season...40 games

36/40 RW...7 goals, 15 assists

3/40 LW...0 goals, 1 assists

1/40 RM...0 goals, 0 assists

13/14 season...51 games

26/51 RW...7 goals, 9 assists

19/51 AM...2 goals, 12 assists

3/51 LW...1 goal, 3 assists

3/51 CM...1 goal, 3 assists

14/15 season...33 games

9/33 RW...1 goal, 2 assists

8/33 LW...1 goal, 4 assists

6/33 AM...0 goals, 1 assist

5/33 LM...2 goals, 3 assists

4/33 F©...0 goals, 0 assists

1/33 RM...0 goals, 2 assists

15/16 season...16 games (so far)

15/16 RW...7 goals, 7 assists

1/16 LW...0 goals, 2 assists

In total:

218 games...45 goals, 103 assists

142/218 RW...34 goals, 59 assists

23/218 LW...2 goals, 14 assists

26/218 AM...3 goals, 15 assists

Now let's have a look at the positions that you have suggested revising:

12/218 LM...3 goals, 5 assists

8/218 RM...2 goals, 8 assists

3/218 CM...1 goals, 2 assists

4/218 F©...0 goals, 0 assists

Is this compelling? I will let the readers decide.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/angel-di-maria/leistungsdaten/spieler/45320/plus/0?saison=2010

Notice that I cited an objective, third party source.

If you disagree with transfermarkt so much, where are your references and evidence to support your viewpoint? Or am I to just 'rely on your opinion'?!  :rolleyes:

actually let me expand on the bit in bold.

the closest thing to Madrid's 2013-14 formation on SM is 433 wingers. the way they played it: Xabi Alonso sat behind two midfielders, Modric and then either Isco or Di Maria. Isco and Di Maria would drift left and play as M,AM(LC) as Cristiano would drift infield to find goalscoring chances.

when it came to defending Bale would drop back, Di Maria/Isco would peel left and you ended up with something like a 4411 with Cristiano central behind Benzema and Di Maria/Isco tracking the opposing right back instead of asking Cristiano to do it (which he obviously cannot).

so for transfermarkt to contend Di Maria was playing strictly AM in this formation doesn't fit reality - nor does it fit SM where there are no 3-man midfield formations with an AM position available (Madrid were NOT playing 4231 and all the 433 formations are either flat midfields or the 1-2 alignment, there are no 2-1 set-ups). this guy won the CL playing in a position we can't even begin to replicate on SM.

transfermarkt is a good guide, but unless all soccerwiki positions and formations are going to be based off their markings, the disconnect means it cannot be used as an impeachable source of information.

This sounds very much like bending the facts to fit the argument. I think that you took one look at the stats, decided that you didn't like what they said and decided to create your own narrative to justify the positional changes that you want.

You seem to be 'splitting hairs' as the 4-2-3-1 is essentially the 4-3-3 (wingers) with two DMs behind an AM. I would like to open this up to other posters, but I would have thought that this is commonly agreed among commentators and football fans. Even if I humor your viewpoint on the matter for a moment...the two DMs would still be behind an AM in this kind of formation, not a CM! As we have already discussed, AM and CM are completely different positions with completely different types of players that play there.

Irregardless of what you 'thought you saw', I imagine that all media outlets reported the team as being fielded as a 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 or 4-3-3 (wingers) and of this waffle about players moving to a '4-4-1-1' mid game is meaningless, subjective, unsubstantiated opinion. I am sure that DI MARIA drifted to a CB position when defending corners...this does not mean that he played CB for part of the game.

Once again...if you want your argument to be taken seriously, you need to provide something more than your opinion and what you 'thought you saw' (i.e. evidence and references).

we'll have to agree to disagree because if you can't see that Di Maria played M(LC) for Benfica, Madrid in 13/14 and for Argentina then idk what to tell you (transfermarkt contend that he played AM for Madrid in 13/14, which is laughable, and they don't even have data for Argentina)

actually let me expand on the bit in bold, because I want to put this transfermarkt issue to bed once and for all.

the closest thing to Madrid's 2013-14 formation on SM is 433 wingers. the way they played it: Xabi Alonso sat behind two midfielders, Modric and then either Isco or Di Maria. Isco and Di Maria would drift left and play as M,AM(LC) as Cristiano would drift infield to find goalscoring chances.

when it came to defending Bale would drop back, Di Maria/Isco would peel left and you ended up with something like a 4411 with Cristiano central behind Benzema and Di Maria/Isco tracking the opposing right back instead of asking Cristiano to do it (which he obviously cannot).

so for transfermarkt to contend Di Maria was playing strictly AM in this formation doesn't fit reality - nor does it fit SM where there are no 3-man midfield formations with an AM position available (Madrid were NOT playing 4231 and all the 433 formations are either flat midfields or the 1-2 alignment, there are no 2-1 set-ups). this guy won the CL playing in a position we can't even begin to replicate on SM.

in 2013-14 according to transfermarkt, Di Maria is listed as playing AM 19 times, CM 3 times and LW 3 times. that's 25 games. I couldn't do this for the 4 Copa games, but the remaining 21 Liga and Champions League games are on ESPN gamecast, and I was bored so I screenshotted them all because I know how much Anton loves evidence: click here

as you can see across all those games, Di Maria played something that would best be described as the SM position of M,AM(LC). this just proves how arbitrary listed starting positions are, because transfermarkt has those games down as AM, CM and LW while ESPN has them down as LM, AM-L and R-F! the majority of those aren't even close to being right.

ESPN is more accurate given where he actually played (here's the link if you want to check the games yourself) but neither is close. hence you give him something like M,AM(LC). and then obviously he can play AM(R ) and F(RL). so the only reach to my initial suggestion becomes M(R ). and if you REALLY want to argue that? fine, keep it. but he plays AM(R ) much the same way he plays AM(L) so as you must surely be able to see: M,AM(RLC),F(RL) is kinda gosh darn accurate for Angel Di Maria.

transfermarkt is a good guide, but unless all soccerwiki positions and formations are going to be based off their markings, the disconnect means it cannot be used as an undisputed source of positional information. you have to actually watch the games.

actually let me expand on the bit in bold, because I want to put this transfermarkt issue to bed once and for all.

in 2013-14 according to transfermarkt, Di Maria is listed as playing AM 19 times, CM 3 times and LW 3 times. that's 25 games. I couldn't do this for the 4 Copa games, but the remaining 21 Liga and Champions League games are on ESPN gamecast, and I was bored so I screenshotted them all because I know how much Anton loves evidence: click here

as you can see in all those games, Di Maria played something that would best be described as the SM position of M,AM(LC). this just proves how arbitrary listed starting positions are, because transfermarkt has those games down as AM, CM and LW while ESPN has them down as LM, AM-L and R-F!

ESPN is more accurate given where he actually played (here's the link if you want to check the games yourself) but neither is close. hence you give him something like M,AM(LC). and then obviously he can play AM(R ) and F(RL). so the only reach to my initial suggestion becomes M(R ). and if you REALLY want to argue that? fine, keep it. but he plays AM(R ) much the same way he plays AM(L) so as you must surely be able to see: M,AM(RLC),F(RL) is kinda gosh darn accurate for Angel Di Maria.

transfermarkt is a good guide, but unless all soccerwiki positions and formations are going to be based off their markings, the disconnect means it cannot be used as an undisputed source of positional information. you have to actually watch the games.

Just had a look. Took the Sevilla game as an example when Real scored 7.

The 'starting formation' is clearly a 4-2-3-1. This is pretty indisputable.

Even when DI MARIA is subbed on...the 'average position' clearly shows him at AM(L)/winger...while ALONSO and MODRIC are shown around the DM (CM at a stretch) mark...replacing the other subbed DMs. Anything else is just 'clutching at straws'.

Nuff said.

still going by transfermarkt as your bible, then?

fair enough.

we'll have to agree to disagree because if you can't see that Di Maria played M(LC) for Benfica, Madrid in 13/14 and for Argentina then idk what to tell you (transfermarkt contend that he played AM for Madrid in 13/14, which is laughable, and they don't even have data for Argentina)

Transfermarkt is the SM/SoccerWiki bible. With love by JMH (SoccerWiki admin).

Transfermarkt is the SM/SoccerWiki bible. With love by JMH (SoccerWiki admin).

well then we have a problem because as I showed above transfermarkt is nowhere near 100% accurate.

also: all that clamour for evidence and when you finally get it and it proves you wrong you've got nothing to say? that's weak sauce, dude.

well then we have a problem because as I showed above transfermarkt is nowhere near 100% accurate.

also: all that clamour for evidence and when you finally get it and it proves you wrong you've got nothing to say? that's weak sauce, dude.

Anton mate...just re-post this evidence:

Just had a look. Took the Sevilla game as an example when Real scored 7.

The 'starting formation' is clearly a 4-2-3-1. This is pretty indisputable.

Even when DI MARIA is subbed on...the 'average position' clearly shows him at AM(L)/winger...while ALONSO and MODRIC are shown around the DM (CM at a stretch) mark...replacing the other subbed DMs. Anything else is just 'clutching at straws'.

Nuff said.

Metaphysical seems to be using his selective deafness again to avoid facts.

I'll rewrite it for last time: 1, 2 or few games is not enough to add new position skills to a player. As I said Kwadwo Asamoah needed a whole season to get his D(L) added.

I like to write here Raul Garcia's paradox when in previous months SW removed his M(R ) position whilst he played as RM 6 times just last season instead SW added him AM(R ) position (!!!!!). I had no words.

I like to say (again) more: it's some weeks M(RL) position requests to players increased very much and I consider this fact a bit strange, just viewing Raul Garcia's example counter-trend time ago.

These are my last words in this thread.

10/11 season...44 games

38/44 RW...9 goals, 20 assists

6/44 LW...0 goals, 3 assists

11/12 season...24 games

17/24 RW...3 goals, 6 assists

6/24 RM...2 goals, 6 assists

1/24 AM...1 goals, 2 assists

12/13 season...40 games

36/40 RW...7 goals, 15 assists

3/40 LW...0 goals, 1 assists

1/40 RM...0 goals, 0 assists

13/14 season...51 games

26/51 RW...7 goals, 9 assists

19/51 AM...2 goals, 12 assists

3/51 LW...1 goal, 3 assists

3/51 CM...1 goal, 3 assists

14/15 season...33 games

9/33 RW...1 goal, 2 assists

8/33 LW...1 goal, 4 assists

6/33 AM...0 goals, 1 assist

5/33 LM...2 goals, 3 assists

4/33 F©...0 goals, 0 assists

1/33 RM...0 goals, 2 assists

15/16 season...16 games (so far)

15/16 RW...7 goals, 7 assists

1/16 LW...0 goals, 2 assists

While we are discussing DI MARIA...lets consider this: Metaphysical has repeatedly claimed DI MARIA can play flat M(RCL) because Louis Van Gaal often deployed him at LM and RM in the 14/15 season.

Whilst this is partly true, even more telling is his poor goal and assist ratio for United (especially in flat midfield positions) and the fact that he only played at M(RCL) 10 times in the four seasons leading up to 14/15.

Even more telling than that is DI MARIA's own account of playing in these positions for Van Gaal. As Metaphysical likes ESPN so much, he might want the read this article, in which:

'Di Maria also confirmed he felt he was played out of position by Van Gaal...[Di Maria said,] "Van Gaal has his philosophy and one of the things that made me want to leave is that...it is difficult to adapt to Van Gaal...I started well [at United] and after that I got injured. Things didn't go well for me and Van Gaal changed my position."'

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/story/2591363/angel-di-maria-blames-louis-van-gaal-for-man-united-exit

Have a read...

Soccerwiki disagrees with Metaphysical, Transfermarkt disagrees with Metaphysical, ESPN disagrees with Metaphysical

...now even DI MARIA disagrees with Metaphysical...about his own playing position!!! :lol:

I'll rewrite it for last time: 1, 2 or few games is not enough to add new position skills to a player. As I said Kwadwo Asamoah needed a whole season to get his D(L) added.

I like to write here Raul Garcia's paradox when in previous months SW removed his M(R ) position whilst he played as RM 6 times just last season instead SW added him AM(R ) position (!!!!!). I had no words.

I like to say (again) more: it's some weeks M(RL) position requests to players increased very much and I consider this fact a bit strange, just viewing Raul Garcia's example counter-trend time ago.

These are my last words in this thread.

and Asamoah taking a year to get D(L) was not good. it should have happened sooner.

meanwhile you spend page upon page upon page arguing with me, insisting I provide evidence. so when I finally relent and find evidence of what I've been saying, and not only that but evidence that transfermarkt is fundamentally flawed, you ignore it then run away?

thought you were better than that, Anton mate.

guess not.

:lol:

and Asamoah taking a year to get D(L) was not good. it should have happened sooner.

meanwhile you spend page upon page upon page arguing with me, insisting I provide evidence. so when I finally relent and find evidence of what I've been saying, and not only that but evidence that transfermarkt is fundamentally flawed, you ignore it then run away?

guess not.

Meta still avoiding facts and questions like a trooper...don't worry Anton, there is only one person scared of the truth here!  :lol:

guess not.

I'm not running away, and I don't see any evidence. It's possible to find some sport websites classifying players in different position because it's an easy way to go. It happen for any kind of midfielder (offensive, defensive, general mid, box-to-box mid)*, but SM has rules because it's a very specific and specified managerial game. I will stop writing because I have not more to write about. I said all upon there.

*I remember Francesco Totti listed as a midfielder years ago. Let's see Federico Fiorentina FC' Bernardeschi player profile in some italian websites. He is playing as AM(C ) and M(R ) in a 3-4-2-1 formation (transfermarks set him as a right wing).

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/federico-bernardeschi/leistungsdaten/spieler/197300

http://www.fantagazzetta.com/calciatore/fiorentina/bernardeschi  (position/ruolo: forward/attaccante);

http://www.gazzetta.it/speciali/risultati_classifiche/calcio/giocatori/giocatore_federico_bernardeschi_19940216.shtml

So Juan Cuadrado some user would to remove his M(R ) skill just few weeks ago...

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/juan-cuadrado/leistungsdaten/spieler/91970/plus/0?saison=ges

http://www.fantagazzetta.com/calciatore/juventus/cuadrado    (position/ruolo: midfielder/centrocampista);

http://www.gazzetta.it/speciali/risultati_classifiche/calcio/giocatori/giocatore_juan_guillermo_cuadrado_19880526.shtml

I'm not running away, and I don't see any evidence. It's possible to find some sport websites classifying players in different position because it's an easy way to go. It happen for any kind of midfielder (offensive, defensive, general mid, box-to-box mid)*, but SM has rules because it's a very specific and specified managerial game. I will stop writing because I have not more to write about. I said all upon there.

*I remember Francesco Totti listed as a midfielder years ago. Let's see Federico Fiorentina FC' Bernardeschi player profile in some italian websites. He is playing as AM(C ) and M(R ) in a 3-4-2-1 formation (transfermarks set him as a right wing).

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/federico-bernardeschi/leistungsdaten/spieler/197300

http://www.fantagazzetta.com/calciatore/fiorentina/bernardeschi  (position/ruolo: forward/attaccante);

http://www.gazzetta.it/speciali/risultati_classifiche/calcio/giocatori/giocatore_federico_bernardeschi_19940216.shtml

So Juan Cuadrado some user would to remove his M(R ) skill just few weeks ago...

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/juan-cuadrado/leistungsdaten/spieler/91970/plus/0?saison=ges

http://www.fantagazzetta.com/calciatore/juventus/cuadrado    (position/ruolo: midfielder/centrocampista);

http://www.gazzetta.it/speciali/risultati_classifiche/calcio/giocatori/giocatore_juan_guillermo_cuadrado_19880526.shtml

classifications being nonsense IS MY EXACT POINT.

the images I showed you were quite literally the average positions played on the field in those games. I showed you them because they mostly refuted the classifications that both ESPN (LM, AM-L, R-F) and transfermarkt (AM, CM, LW) put on Di Maria, instead showing his average position to be something like the M,AM(LC) I described it as.

I'm glad you finally agree with me.

the images I showed you were quite literally the average positions played on the field in those games. I showed you them because they mostly refuted the classifications that both ESPN (LM, AM-L, R-F) and transfermarkt (AM, CM, LW) put on Di Maria, instead showing his average position to be something like the M,AM(LC) I described it as.

Notice how Meta continues to avoid my questions like a nervous child.

He berated Anton for running away, but as soon as someone provides evidence (like I have for the past dozen pages), Meta hides in the thread. I haven't heard a peep from him about my comments. I guess readers will make up their own mind about this.

Starting positions are completely different to 'average positions'. As I have already said (and Meta avoided answering), DI MARIA may spend a lot of the match defending corners. This doesn't mean that he can play CB because he occupied the CB area for part of the game.

Even FIFA UT places DI MARIA at AM© and RW (INF).

No, I don't.

Following your logic as shown as images you posted on you could affirm Real n.2 Varane and n. 4 Ramos should have DM(C ) position added because they played as average position in the mid of the pitch... It's a bit r_d_c_l__s I'd say...

Football is movement, tactics changes player's movements and manager instructions put players wide or by midfield line, wide or by their own area, etc....

I'm not so sure we are talking about football now, no more...

No, I don't.

Following your logic as shown as images you posted on you could affirm Real n.2 Varane and n. 4 Ramos should have DM(C ) position added because they played as average position in the mid of the pitch... It's a bit r_d_c_l__s I'd say...

Football is movement, tactics changes player's movements and manager instructions put players wide or by midfield line, wide or by their own area, etc....

I'm not so sure we are talking about football now, no more...

transfermarkt said those Di Maria games I showed you were played as an AM. barely any (if any at all) of them were close to being what soccermanager would define as an AM(C ) - so how or why is transfermarkt reliable when they can't accurately describe a position properly? because "players move" - ok, fine, but we can't move players in SM can we? this isn't FIFA. so a player's positional data should accurately describe the role they play, not their starting position on the pitch as decided by one site.

especially as: why THAT site? why not ESPN? why not soccerway? why not goal.com? etc. etc. etc. you said yourself: all sites use different classifications. so which is right?

transfermarkt said those Di Maria games I showed you were played as an AM. barely any (if any at all) of them were close to being what soccermanager would define as an AM(C ) - so how or why is transfermarkt reliable when they can't accurately describe a position properly? because "players move" - ok, fine, but we can't move players in SM can we? this isn't FIFA. so a player's positional data should accurately describe the role they play, not their starting position on the pitch as decided by one site.

especially as: why THAT site? why not ESPN? why not soccerway? why not goal.com? etc. etc. etc. you said yourself: all sites use different classifications. so which is right?

Transfermarkt has enough accuracy needed to scan player skills, goal.com hasn't, but as I said before, transfermarkt is a reference point to SW/SM.

Yes we can move players: arrows are for moving and give them more instructions in the pitch. There is not other way to move players on SM.

So let's answer to me: as images you posted describes, are both Varane and Ramos in for a DM(C ) position add?

Talk about football please. This is my last serious reply.

Transfermarkt has enough accuracy needed to scan player skills, goal.com hasn't, but as I said before, transfermarkt is a reference point to SW/SM.

Yes we can move players: arrows are for moving and give them more instructions in the pitch. There is not other way to move players on SM.

So let's answer to me: as images you posted describes, are both Varane and Ramos in for a DM(C ) position add?

Talk about football please. This is my last serious reply.

I've been talking about football this whole time mate.

and no they obviously should not. this whole time I've not just been talking about position on the pitch, I've been talking about the ROLE they play. while, yes, all ball-playing CB's (and all CB's for dominant teams, to be honest) play in what would be defensive midfield zones, they don't play a defensive midfield role. when Di Maria played in an M,AM(LC) position, that is also the role he played.

I understand you won't grasp this, because it means watching the games and not just relying on stats from a website. but that's fine, I'm done trying to convince you (I've explained this before and you ignored it then, too). I played by your rules with "evidence" and you moved the goalposts yet again. nothing I say, no argument I present, no matter how well laid out, will make a difference to what you think.

"transfermarkt has enough accuracy" - when it got at least one 15/16 Robben game wrong for sure, has no international data and misidentified half a season of Di Maria in 13-14. lord know what else they've gotten wrong but those things alone are enough for me to doubt it.

if SM & SW uses it, that's SM & SW's loss.

I'll keep suggesting positional changes in here.

you go about your business.

when Di Maria played in an M,AM(LC) position, that is also the role he played.

Are we talking M(L) or AM(L)?...because remember, they are completely different positions.

if we are talking M(L)...then the stats clearly show that he hasn't played the role recently, consistently or successfully.

Not only that...but DI MARIA himself says that he doesn't like playing there!

metaphysical, on 09 Dec 2015 - 10:07 PM, said:snapback.png

to be fair Hummels does step into DM zones when orchestrating play and bringing the ball out of the back. but if that were to count for him playing DM(C ) then we'd have to give every ball-playing CB the DM(C ) positional ability

...I give you the real reason why Meta thinks that 'ball playing' CBs should not have the DM© ability.

It is strange how he refuses to apply this same logic to DI MARIA (and other AM(RCL)/wingers) in relation to the M(RCL) position.

To me, this proves that his 'positional play' argument is flawed and that he is happy to apply one rule to one set of players and a completely different rule for others.

I've been talking about football this whole time mate.

and no they obviously should not. this whole time I've not just been talking about position on the pitch, I've been talking about the ROLE they play. while, yes, all ball-playing CB's (and all CB's for dominant teams, to be honest) play in what would be defensive midfield zones, they don't play a defensive midfield role. when Di Maria played in an M,AM(LC) position, that is also the role he played.

I understand you won't grasp this, because it means watching the games and not just relying on stats from a website. but that's fine, I'm done trying to convince you (I've explained this before and you ignored it then, too). I played by your rules with "evidence" and you moved the goalposts yet again. nothing I say, no argument I present, no matter how well laid out, will make a difference to what you think.

"transfermarkt has enough accuracy" - when it got at least one 15/16 Robben game wrong for sure, has no international data and misidentified half a season of Di Maria in 13-14. lord know what else they've gotten wrong but those things alone are enough for me to doubt it.

if SM & SW uses it, that's SM & SW's loss.

I'll keep suggesting positional changes in here.

you go about your business.

Transfermarkt posts official formation that clubs list in pre-match, assembled by their managers...

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/angel-di-maria/leistungsdaten/spieler/45320

Angel Di Maria season 15/16

Ch. League games:

sept-19-2015 Malmoe: RW

sept-30-2015 Shakthar: RW

oct-21-2015 RMa: RW

nov-3-2015 RMa: RW

nov-25-2015 Malmoe: RW

dec-8-2015 Shakthar: sub

Ligue 1 games:

aug-30-2015 Monaco: sub

sept-11-2015 Bordeaux: RW

sept-19-2015 Reims: sub

sept-22-2015 Guingamp: RW

sept-26-2015 Nantes: RW

oct-4-2015 Marseille: RW

oct-25-2015 Saint-Etienne: RW

oct-30-2015 Rennes: RW

nov-7-2015 Toulouse: RW

nov-28-2015 Troyes: LW

dec-1-2015 Angers: RW

dec-4-2015 Nice: RW

dec-13-2015 OL: RW

NT:

oct-14-2015 Paraguay: RW

ARDA TURAN: M,AM(RLC)

as I suspected, he played central midfield on his debut for Barcelona and will likely continue to feature there going forward. this, combined with his previously stated ability to play M(RL) should lead to him having the above positional data. one could say he should have F(RL) too but until he starts playing in Barcelona's front three that could be a tricky case to argue as he is definitely more of a midfielder.