Soccer Manager Worlds New User Interface

I applaud SM for listening to the forum community and offering the chance to revert back to the old UI whilst the new one has all the issues ironed out, might have been better to go for the phased approach in the first place but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I would like to ask what changes have been made to the SMFA and cheat/report functions to combat the issues that were so wide spread?

There wasn't a lot of information on what has been updated in regards to this with the relaunch.

Also is there any scope for a Soccerwiki revamp or going back to how the ratings/player positions were once handled?

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i play soccermanager since 2006... i´ve been here for 2 days trying to play...  but...   it´s more complicated it´s slower it´s annoying  players in yellow it´s an unconnected new feature... ple

Yep. My league has been going since 2012 and Redsky (who you quoted) along with Trion who posted just below you have been with the league from the start. Redsky started in Division 2 and Trion started

Here's my SM story: Joined in Jan 2015, but only seriously started in April. I'm still in Brookfield PL, the first custom I joined.    I love this game. Helps me to keep on track with RL football a

Could you please start a new thread re the player database, formations etc as this needs a separate discussion and I don't want feedback relating to the UI getting lost in here - cheers.

I did that the last time you asked (re: squad numbers) and you didn't bother to continue the discussion there.

seems like this is the only thread you guys check. hence why everyone uses it.

Could you please start a new thread re the player database, formations etc as this needs a separate discussion and I don't want feedback relating to the UI getting lost in here - cheers.

As requested Steven:

http://forum.soccermanager.com/topic/152228-new-game-engine-player-positions/

There should be no excuses now. It can be assumed that the new match engine and player positions are a taboo topic in this thread now.

Please refer all attempts to discuss it to the above link.

Thanks for changing back Steven.

I have a problem that most of the time the advert banner covers the tabs at the top of the page. 

If i click on my clubs name, the tabs are there until the advert pops up covering them.

Sometimes it is only partially covered but you can't read the tab writing, this happened a couple of days ago when i logged in to find the old interface.

I am using chrome.

Also, player position compatibility for certain formations is now more realistic, making match days more strategic. For example only DM(L/R) and M(L/R) can only play the wingback role perfectly within formations such as 3-5-2 and D(L/R) will not play as well in a 3 man defence.

Player’s with concerns will see a substantial decrease in their value, the higher the level of concern the greater the decrease in value. This should help smaller clubs pick up better players for cheaper than their maximum value and the club they are leaving will receive a substantially lower fee when they hand in a transfer request.

Steven,

I am finding a contradiction in your attempts to improve the game regarding players not being able to play in so many different positions and to stop clubs having big squads.

If a club wishes to use one tactic for home games and another for away games, they now might need to change 4 or 5 players because they can no longer have a LB in a 3 man defence for example. The change in tactic might be slight but  it could mean only 6/7 players get to play more than 50% of league games but another 8-10 play no more than 50% and therefore start to get concerns.

Then you need to allow for having a bigger first team squad in case of injuries and suspensions, yet the aim of the changes seem to be to deter clubs from having big squads.

I like your intention and don't have an answer but i hope you can see that the new positional restrictions need to be altered slightly.

Also, player position compatibility for certain formations is now more realistic, making match days more strategic. For example only DM(L/R) and M(L/R) can only play the wingback role perfectly within formations such as 3-5-2 and D(L/R) will not play as well in a 3 man defence.

Player’s with concerns will see a substantial decrease in their value, the higher the level of concern the greater the decrease in value. This should help smaller clubs pick up better players for cheaper than their maximum value and the club they are leaving will receive a substantially lower fee when they hand in a transfer request.

Steven,

I am finding a contradiction in your attempts to improve the game regarding players not being able to play in so many different positions and to stop clubs having big squads.

If a club wishes to use one tactic for home games and another for away games, they now might need to change 4 or 5 players because they can no longer have a LB in a 3 man defence for example. The change in tactic might be slight but  it could mean only 6/7 players get to play more than 50% of league games but another 8-10 play no more than 50% and therefore start to get concerns.

Then you need to allow for having a bigger first team squad in case of injuries and suspensions, yet the aim of the changes seem to be to deter clubs from having big squads.

I like your intention and don't have an answer but i hope you can see that the new positional restrictions need to be altered slightly.

This sounds like a position/game engine question.

Please go to:

http://forum.soccermanager.com/topic/152228-new-game-engine-player-positions/#entry3143849

Whilst i liked the look of the new UI seeing and feeling how smoothly you can operate in the old one makes me really not even want to see the new version. New looks pretty but to many things missing and and not working. Why not keep everything there was and add it to the new UI instead of taking it away? I wasn't for having two versions but i'd really rather not use the new version.

image.jpg

Not being able to click on a player in club messages to see their profile is seriously infuriating at times.

This evening I found that I could delete club message, change the menu and come back but there would be no update.

It is also annoying that when you respond to a transfer offer for example the news of that offer being accepted/rejected/negotiated does not appear in club messages until you leave the section and return once more.

Thanks for changing back Steven.

I have a problem that most of the time the advert banner covers the tabs at the top of the page. 

If i click on my clubs name, the tabs are there until the advert pops up covering them.

Sometimes it is only partially covered but you can't read the tab writing, this happened a couple of days ago when i logged in to find the old interface.

I am using chrome.

Any chance that I could have a screenshot so I can pass this info on and also if you let me know what device this is in - cheers.

Not being able to click on a player in club messages to see their profile is seriously infuriating at times.

This evening I found that I could delete club message, change the menu and come back but there would be no update.

It is also annoying that when you respond to a transfer offer for example the news of that offer being accepted/rejected/negotiated does not appear in club messages until you leave the section and return once more.

These have all been flagged up as i've found that out myself the other day and it's very annoying.

The new UI can work eventually for everyone I believe, if SM continue to listen to what existing customers want to see added/amended etc.

We've definitely made progress together, albeit slightly, over the last few days. B)

I think you guys sometimes forget that I am a customer as well and probably the oldest one on this forum. I'm probably more of a hardcore user than some of you guys as it feels like i'm on the game and forum 24/7. So things that you are reporting as annoying, hard to use, finding bugs etc I am as well and i've been logging a lot of them. I'm not an ostrich who plonks his head in the sand as I know if i'm finding something annoying / hard to use then other people will be as well.

Whilst i liked the look of the new UI seeing and feeling how smoothly you can operate in the old one makes me really not even want to see the new version. New looks pretty but to many things missing and and not working. Why not keep everything there was and add it to the new UI instead of taking it away? I wasn't for having two versions but i'd really rather not use the new version.

image.jpg

I think (this is from my view as customer and not that of SM) that the main problem is the speed, annoying little bugs and certain aspects of usability. When these are sorted out as well as changes to the interface based on feedback then it'll be a lot better. For example just look at how long things take to load up on the old interface compared to the new one. A massive difference. I know that this is being worked on around the clock and will make a big difference.

I want to start by thanking you guys for allowing the switch back to the old UI. I have been on SM since 2008, I’m a Gold Member and I log on multiple times every day so I hope you can take what I have to say into consideration.

One the of the things I liked about SM since you introduced the single player game (SPG) was the clear division between the SPG and the MPG not only in terms of gameplay but in terms of appearance. I feel like this is an important factor in keeping both sides interesting, having that clear division. If you are a player like me who doesn’t care too much about one or the other, that delineation made you feel as if you could stick to the one you like without having to feel like you’re in the other. This has now been totally ruined since you introduced the new UI. Personally, one of the main reasons the SPG did not appeal to me was specifically because of its UI so to have you incorporate a similar sort of thing into the MPG is quite depressing. This brings me to my main criticism for the new UI.

As already mentioned by many users, the new UI is way too cluttered, too big, claustrophobic and way too in your face. For a user like me who frequents SM multiple times daily, this has had a huge negative impact on my gaming experience making it way more of a chore. It is just too much to take in, why must everything be so big or need a whole new window to be devoted to it?

What made the old UI better was not only how different it is from the SPG UI but because of the minimalistic approach. The small pop-up windows to view a player’s info, the Match Previews, league table info etc. were better because you simply did not need to devote a whole page to view all that info. It was easy to navigate and didn’t need to be in your face like that. That goes for the Squad page and pretty much everything else. I am sure users and developers alike want to streamline and improve the UI and on this note you guys have taken a step back by going with the flashier and bigger is better approach. The last thing you want to do is make the experience more taxing and this is exactly what you have done. LESS IS MORE! A MINIMALIST approach will make the experience less of a chore rather than a barrage.

Here are some further points:

• News Feed: The News Feeds both GW and Club alike are the first things managers want to see when they access a club so as mentioned by many already, please make this more of the focus of the page rather than relegating it to the bottom.
  • Club/Manager List: The clubs list does not need to be that big and take up that much space as it is not as important. Making it smaller and returning the option to offer clubs to managers would be better.
  • Match Preview Pop Up Window: The old Match Preview pop up window was one of the most interesting things about facing a new opponent. Turning it into a whole new window and getting rid of info like stadium capacity and weather etc has just killed that. Honestly, the MP from the old UI was perfect, all it needed was additional stats
  • Club Notifications: could you also add that to the club list drop down menu that way users don’t have to navigate back to the club pages list to see which clubs have notifications or try and remember all their clubs that have notifications. This has been a thorn in my side for the longest and I’m sure many would agree.
  • Club List Drop Down Menu: every now and then some of your clubs listed gets cut off on the side of the screen so this needs fixing. Also, I don’t really understand why you guys decided to start listing the clubs from starting from the bottom going up. A return to descending order would make more sense.
  • Chat Box: I noticed that the other day when someone initiated a chat with me I couldn’t see what they wrote. Most of the little bubble containing the text was cut off for some reason.
  • Calendar: The old calendar where you could see up to four days was great because it allowed you to plan two matches ahead but it was small and up in the corner so it wasn’t too intrusive. Please consider working this into the new UI.
  • Pop-up Windows: Please consider bringing these back. Having to constantly navigate through pages is unnecessary when the info such as Player info for example, can come up as a pop up window on that same squad page. Match Preview Window, Past league winners window, league table in depth window etc. This is an example of how you guys have regressed by taking away features you didn’t even realize were very useful already and made the experience smoother.
  • Size: Everything as I mentioned before is just too big and in your face. The new UI just barrages you. Making everything smaller would be easier on the eyes and less of an onslaught. Perhaps you guys did this because you made the new UI require a full window view? I don’t think the new one size fits all approach is very good. LESS IS MORE!

I appreciate the fact that you guys have to balance attracting new members while keeping the older ones satisfied. It is not easy but it does seem that a large part of the community agrees on a lot of issues. This is all for now but please consider what I have said. Thanks

The new UI can work eventually for everyone I believe, if SM continue to listen to what existing customers want to see added/amended etc.

We've definitely made progress together, albeit slightly, over the last few days. B)

I agree completely.

On the club home page on the old UI it has the following:

• League ID
  • Calendar
  • Club Messages (called Inbox on new UI)
  • News Feed
  • Club List (called Manager List on new UI)
  • League Table for your Division
  • Transfers

On the club home page on the new UI it has the following:

• League ID
  • Mini Calendar
  • News Feed
  • Manager List

I feel that the Club Messages and League Table can be brought into the club home page on the new UI with something like this (crudely done in photoshop):

uHsV4Ec.png

League Table could have a dropdown like the Managers one, which'd give that page an extra feature that the old UI didn't as on the old UI homepage you had to click on the Division name and it took you to a separate page with all of the league tables on. Little changes like that might help some transition to the new UI easier as the UI elements will be in similar places whereas now the Club Messages and League Table are on a different page entirely.

Well now 36hrs in.

I believe it is a brave decision to admit when you are wrong and SM have effectively done this by returning to the old interface if users want it.

Please make this permanent , I can live with it now.

Now a few more minus points.

Player valuations, absolutely ridiculous. Today in 5 minutes I have turned a 4th division side and a 3rd division side into guaranteed title winners in fully populated worlds. Simple sell off the over valued youngsters and buy old codgers.. O.K. it may well bankrupt the sides but I need to test if that will really happen or not, no point pontificating.

In the new interface the white bar at the top can drop down 2 or 3 lines block off the top 5 tabs, making it even worse. Happens if the club has a medium or long name.

O.K. may the force be with you all.

There are some things which have to be fixed or updated.I mean,my Sunderland had 32k attendance tonight out of 49k.You can be at the buttom of the  Premier League and your stadium would still be full.No matter what players you have,but I do have some star-players too so that should make it even clearer.I lost 700k by playing at home!I understand the concept of player-hogging,but this is just way ,way too much.

I've just posted the following on our blog:

"Thank you for everyone who has taken the time to provide feedback. It is really appreciated and it's good to see that you are all as passionate about the game as we are.

It is your feedback that helps drive the game forward and what has made it into the game what it is today as many of your ideas and suggestions have been implemented over the years and will continue to be.

We've been passing on everyone's feedback whether that has been on the forum, social media, via in-game PM and email to the development team.

Due to this we've put the old interface that you all like so much back into the game and you can now move freely between the old and new ones.

This will remain in place until we have a new interface that the majority of you are happy with.

Whilst we make changes to the new user interface, please continue to provide constructive feedback on our forums because without this the game won't be able to develop."

I'm going to put that into a sticky thread for all to see and hopefully you'll continue to provide constructive feedback as we make changes to the new user interface.

I've also cleared up this thread (and will continue to keep it clean) so that anyone can easily see posts that are constructive and i'll apologise in advance if yours has been deleted (or may be deleted going forward).

Well that shouldn't take long.....

The one that is there IS THE ONE WE ARE HAPPY WITH!!!!! 

SM.... you've come so close to an answer that everyone both wants and would be happy with! Just give us the old desktop user interface option permanently and everyone will be happy out!!!! 

I was hoping this would have been part of the update but it looks not.... GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

I have Matic, Danilo Periera and Saul to rotate in a 2 mand (4-2-3-1) formation and i have Sergio Oliveira (85 rated) who I would like to loan out but no....... The chairman says no...... why?

For the last time, look at RL.... FALCAO! was out on loan

Surely increased wages (due to a players increased market value) will have little effect on player hoarders.

If a player hoarder has already hoarded to the point in which they have a well endowed team that they are content with...why would going into negative finances bother them?

If a manager has already grabbed all the best players in a game world, they can sit pretty, even if increased wages damages their finances. They can go negative 1 million, 2 million...hell they could go negative 10 million...and I often have.

...it is only if they want to buy new players that it becomes a problem (because you have to be plus to table bids).

I was hoping this would have been part of the update but it looks not.... GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

I have Matic, Danilo Periera and Saul to rotate in a 2 mand (4-2-3-1) formation and i have Sergio Oliveira (85 rated) who I would like to loan out but no....... The chairman says no...... why?

For the last time, look at RL.... FALCAO! was out on loan

Lol. I can answer this...and it has nothing to do with the update (it has always been the case).

FALCAO is 92 rated. Your average team rating has to be at least 2 ratings higher than the player that you want to loan out (otherwise the chairman will reject it).

For example, my average is 90. I can therefore only loan out 88 rated and below. Simples.

Is your overall team rating 94?

Glad to see the old interface available to use but I have a query on the tactics page.

I put an AM® & AM(L) on the wide positions in a 442 and whilst in the older interface It came up that they were out of position,

I then went into the newer interface and on the tactics page both the AM® & the AM(L) were highlighted green indicating that they are in the correct position!

Confused :wacko:

Glad to see the old interface available to use but I have a query on the tactics page.

I put an AM® & AM(L) on the wide positions in a 442 and whilst in the older interface It came up that they were out of position,

I then went into the newer interface and on the tactics page both the AM® & the AM(L) were highlighted green indicating that they are in the correct position!

Confused :wacko:

I know this kind of falls under match engine/player position discussions...but I was also wondering...

I see we have the option now to use the interface or the old system.

...will this effect the implementation of the new match engine?

...Steven?

...a manager in my game world fielded HAZARD and BALE at RM and LM tonight in a 3-5-2.

...both players got 8.0 ratings and both scored.

Steven...has the new match engine been implemented yet? Would you be able to elaborate on how the new engine will influence this kind of behavior?...as last time I checked, neither could play at RM/LM according to Soccerwiki and I thought that the new engine would penalize this kind of deployment.

I appreciate that you must be really busy, but I think that it is only fair that managers know where they stand. If we can 'get away' with fielding AM(RCL)/WINGERS in a flat M(RCL) position...we should know. If we will be penalized for it, we should also know how. I just want some clarity on the issue.

Please let me know.

Simple thing, might have been mentioned prior and if it has it's slipped my mind but could a clubs whose finances are 'in the red' be changed from being - £345k for example and just placed in red or white, red for negative white for positive. 

Currently it appears as shown below and doesn't read well.

Arsenal - £1.7m (Positive)

Arsenal - - £1.7m (Negative)