CM in DM position? Andrea Pirlo?

We all are well aware that Andrea Pirlo is a playmaker (if not the main one) in the AC Milan setup. However, anyone who has watched Milan or Italy play, realises that Pirlo plays close to the defence- in the DM position and yet he is a CM.

My question is, in formations like 4-1-4-1 or 4-1-3-2, etc., can a CM play in the position closest to the defence and perform?

Re: CM in DM position? Andrea Pirlo?

We all are well aware that Andrea Pirlo is a playmaker (if not the main one) in the AC Milan setup. However' date=' anyone who has watched Milan or Italy play, realises that Pirlo plays close to the defence- in the DM position and yet he is a CM.

My question is, in formations like 4-1-4-1 or 4-1-3-2, etc., can a CM play in the position closest to the defence and perform?[/quote']

I can understand what you mean; but as we all know, in SM we have players performance/skills are not related to real life. Probably if you play Pirlo in the DM position he will not perform as good as if you play him in his original position (CM). I suggest that if you have any other DM player(s), let them play there.