***Breaking News*** Capello to become England next manager

***Breaking News*** Capello to become England next manager  

1. 1.

• Great signing
    • Oh dear, not again

It finally looks official as the BBC are reporting. Fabio Capello will be appointed as the next manager of England later on Thursday, BBC Sport can reveal.

BBC sports editor Mihir Bose says the 61-year-old Italian has been offered a four-year deal worth £4m a year.

Capello's appointment will be ratified by the Football Association following a board meeting at lunchtime.

Capello, who has coached AC Milan, Real Madrid, Juventus and Roma, succeeds Steve McClaren, who was sacked after England failed to reach Euro 2008.

Former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho was the initial favourite to take over, but he ruled himself out of the running and the FA quickly turned their attentions to Capello.

The Italian expressed his interest in the job just days after McClaren's departure.

He eventually met for talks with FA chief executive Brian Barwick and director of football Sir Trevor Brooking in London on Wednesday.

Those negotiations were decsribed as "extremely positive" by FA spokesman Adrian Bevington.

Re: ***Breaking News*** Capello to become England next manager

Thought it might be useful to list his achievements before you vote. Will be interested how Beckham is feeling now. Just when he thought he had left him in Madrid he has to get Cappello to give him hes 100th cap now. :D

Honours

Player

* Scudetto: 1971/72, 1972/73, 1974/75 (Juventus); 1978/79 (Milan)

* Runner-up: 1973/74, 1974/75 (Juventus)

* Coppa Italia: 1968/69 (Roma); 1976/77 (Milan)

* Runner-up: 1972/73 (Juventus)

* European Cup Runner-up: 1972/73

* Anglo-Italian League Cup Runner-up: 1969

Coach

Italy:

* Scudetto: 1991/92, 1992/93, 1993/94, 1995/96 (Milan); 2000/01 (Roma); 2004/05, 2005/06 (Juventus - though subsequently stripped of the title)

* Runner-up: 2001/02, 2003/04 (Roma)

* UEFA Champions League: 1994 (Milan 4-0 Barcelona)

* European Super Cup: 1994 (Milan 2-0 Arsenal)

* Supercoppa Italiana: 1992, 1993, 1994 (Milan); 2001 (Roma)

* Runner-up: 2005 (Juventus)

* Coppa Italia Runner-up: 1997/98 (Milan); 2002/03 (Roma)

Spain:

* La Liga: 1996/97; 2006/07 (Real Madrid)

i aint an english fan, but the FA must be doing something right, as they havnt hired an inexperienced and inadequete manager like they did last time, they have finally understood that to be a good international manager you need experience, which fabio capello has in abundance.

the only way i can see capello finding things tough is when he will be slated by the press when he realises that all the old has beens with large egos have been well past their sell out date, and the england managers job is probably one of the most pressurised jobs in football today.

capello, going from club management into international, will have to work with what hes got, he cant just go and buy players, and if the quality simply isnt there, which is what i believe, then you should actually stop to think for a moment how good you actually are, and to stop building up players like walcott and rooney before they are reaching their full potential..

i think the english should consider getting rid of the underperforming players, rather than calling for the managers head every time they lose :rolleyes:

i aint an english fan' date=' but the FA must be doing something right, as they havnt hired an inexperienced and inadequete manager like they did last time, they have finally understood that to be a good international manager you need experience, which fabio capello has in abundance.

the only way i can see capello finding things tough is when he will be slated by the press when he realises that all the old has beens with large egos have been well past their sell out date, and the england managers job is probably one of the most pressurised jobs in football today.

capello, going from club management into international, will have to work with what hes got, he cant just go and buy players, and if the quality simply isnt there, which is what i believe, then you should actually stop to think for a moment how good you actually are, and to stop building up players like walcott and rooney before they are reaching their full potential..

i think the english should consider getting rid of the underperforming players, rather than calling for the managers head every time they lose :rolleyes:[/quote']

Enough players including Rooney have proved they are good enough not only at champions league level but even on the international level.

Under Sven England did fine they always easily qualified for the tournaments and did "ok" in them.

We lost to Brazil in 1 WC, well sorry but not many teams do go beating Brazil in a WC.

We lost to Portugal in the euro's and a perfectly good goal in the dying moments was ruled out (not an excuse its a known fact) so if that counted who knows what would have happened as Portugal made the final and lost to greece.

Then in the last WC even tho we played pretty poor and got knocked out on pens which can go either way.

The thing most people (seemingly on this forum) have to realise is most the England fans aint how you speak of them just because a few people start saying it everyone does, Ive seen 80% of the English people on this forum call the players and the manager.

Sven got the results with the players he had he never got the sack because of that he got sacked because of the style of football which maybe were Cappello might have problems.

for example if Sven won away in some country (unless a big country) 2-0 but the match wasnt attacking stylish football then he got slammed in the media.

imo its about time most fans stopped taking note of what the media say because 90% of its bull ....

Most the England fans I know gave the England players all the stick not just the manager because they was the ones who never put the effort in.

I dont really know were this bs is coming from about England fans thinking they are going to win everything and we have the best team in the world because its not the case and it defintaly aint on here as we all call them enough.

Sure every WC, EC etc we think we are going to win it but so what, every year I think Liverpool are going to win the prem as do most fans yet we aint won it in how long? its called hope.

anytime England have lost but actually played there hearts of the fans have been full of nothing but praise, if they just walk around like a load of lazy ...... then rightly so the fans get right on there back, not because they lost but because of there performance.

The minumim you should get imo from any player is 100% effort, if the game doesnt go there way (Rangers last night) then so be it but at least put your full effort in trying

I think Capello's defensive mindset will be great for England's young backs... Micah Richards comes to mind in particular. I also think that for Capello being a national manager may be a welcome change of pace from the frenzy of Real Madrid (not that I'm say it's a no-pressure job, mind you).

Enough players including Rooney have proved they are good enough not only at champions league level but even on the international level.

Under Sven England did fine they always easily qualified for the tournaments and did "ok" in them.

We lost to Brazil in 1 WC' date=' well sorry but not many teams do go beating Brazil in a WC.

We lost to Portugal in the euro's and a perfectly good goal in the dying moments was ruled out (not an excuse its a known fact) so if that counted who knows what would have happened as Portugal made the final and lost to greece.

Then in the last WC even tho we played pretty poor and got knocked out on pens which can go either way.

The thing most people (seemingly on this forum) have to realise is most the England fans aint how you speak of them just because a few people start saying it everyone does, Ive seen 80% of the English people on this forum call the players and the manager.

Sven got the results with the players he had he never got the sack because of that he got sacked because of the style of football which maybe were Cappello might have problems.

for example if Sven won away in some country (unless a big country) 2-0 but the match wasnt attacking stylish football then he got slammed in the media.

imo its about time most fans stopped taking note of what the media say because 90% of its bull ....

Most the England fans I know gave the England players all the stick not just the manager because they was the ones who never put the effort in.

I dont really know were this bs is coming from about England fans thinking they are going to win everything and we have the best team in the world because its not the case and it defintaly aint on here as we all call them enough.

Sure every WC, EC etc we think we are going to win it but so what, every year I think Liverpool are going to win the prem as do most fans yet we aint won it in how long? its called hope.

anytime England have lost but actually played there hearts of the fans have been full of nothing but praise, if they just walk around like a load of lazy ...... then rightly so the fans get right on there back, not because they lost but because of there performance.

The minumim you should get imo from any player is 100% effort, if the game doesnt go there way (Rangers last night) then so be it but at least put your full effort in trying[/quote']

i'm sorry, but i know i will not be doing my reputation any good by saying rooney isnt the best player in the world, but i dont think he has proved himself at all at international level :rolleyes: . he wasnt in the 2002 world cup squad, got injured half way between the portugal match, and was probably too young then, and in 2006, practically the whole english team were very poor, and rooney went there injured.

also, about you saying england were unlucky not to go through against portugal all those years ago, as you are an england supporter you are always going to be very biased when referees make decisions which you think are wrong, but as a neutral, it was a blatent foul on the goalkeeper, and you cant argue with it as far as im concerned.

yes every country should have 'hope' of winning trophies, but until you start playing some good football and beating quality teams, i think you should consider how good you actually are. i believe alot of the players are very poor under pressure because of the media pressure put on them - if they miss than they are the subject of sickening abuse, and if they score than they are suddenly the best players ever.

i agree that 90% of paper talk is rubbish as its their job to stir up discontent and make a point - it will always be there however, and its how you manager to overcome all this which makes the best players.

england IMO were thouroughly outplayed against croatia, england seem to be completely unable to put a football on the floor and keep it, and their technique seemed to be lagging behind, especially the younger generation.

also, id like to remind england fans that whenever they come up against a good side, they invariably lose, and i dont think its doing your reputation much good when you have to resort to a player winding down his career in hollywood when your in trouble ;)

i'm sorry' date=' but i know i will not be doing my reputation any good by saying rooney isnt the best player in the world, but i dont think he has proved himself at all at international level :rolleyes: . he wasnt in the 2002 world cup squad, got injured half way between the portugal match, and was probably too young then, and in 2006, practically the whole english team were very poor, and rooney went there injured.[/quote']

I never said he was the best in the world thats just kinda totaly totaly blowing it up. most managers / coaches even pundits and fans know rooney has bags of tallent and has used it on plenty of ocasions but that a side hes still a good enough player to be scoring past any defense and I think anybody knows that.

also' date=' about you saying england were unlucky not to go through against portugal all those years ago, as you are an england supporter you are always going to be very biased when referees make decisions which you think are wrong, but as a neutral, it was a blatent foul on the goalkeeper, and you cant argue with it as far as im concerned.[/quote']

England were unlucky as have alot of teams been on ref decisions, its easy to say im biased just because im an england fan but that just proves how little you know about your fellow forumers because im always saying how poor England are I wasnt even that nice to them in my previous post, Im not saying the goal was a goal because thats my opinion im going by what the officials said after the tourney and by all the pundits who watch it on the TV and zoom right in.

yes every country should have 'hope' of winning trophies' date=' but until you start playing some good football and beating quality teams, i think you should consider how good you actually are. i believe alot of the players are very poor under pressure because of the media pressure put on them - if they miss than they are the subject of sickening abuse, and if they score than they are suddenly the best players ever.[/quote']

I agree but whats how good we are have anything to do with me thinking we are going to win the WC? Liverpool aint the best in the EPL but I still belive we will win it, Livepool wasnt the best in the CL when we won it and had poor players compared to most the sides but yet we won it as did porto,

england IMO were thouroughly outplayed against croatia' date=' england seem to be completely unable to put a football on the floor and keep it, and their technique seemed to be lagging behind, especially the younger generation.[/quote']

England were slightly on top against Croatia until Carson let the 1st shot on goal with a total blunder then we were chasing the match, but just like on that thread after the match I have never once made excuses Croatia deserved to win and win the group.

anybody who watches football and watches these players knows how good they are, are you honestly telling me that the croatian players are better players than the ones playing at Milan, Barca, Madrid, and the other CL teams because those are the ones Gerrard and co perform against every season even tho LFC had a slight dip in it this season.

Anybody who watches England know they are playing far below there usuall standard and the managers have always tried to fit certain players were they shouldnt be just so they dont have to drop them well this hardly makes for a good team.

also' date=' id like to remind england fans that whenever they come up against a good side, they invariably lose, and i dont think its doing your reputation much good when you have to resort to a player winding down his career in hollywood when your in trouble ;)[/quote']

Yeah I agree although not including Friendlys until McClown took over I belive we only lost a couple under Sven in normal time and 2 on penalties which anybody knows can go either way and that was against Brazil, we had beaten Argentina, Germany, Croatia and others.

Its true England never really got past the Q/finals in the big tourneys but neither did spain / Holland and loads of others.

So because spain underperform are you saying they dont have good players either? Or are they allowed to blame there manager without being labeled how England fans are?

As I said before nobody really mentioned anything like this on the forum until a couple of people a few weeks back now it seems all the trend to follow in suit, strange that :)

90% of the England fans I talk to online and in real life only expect the players to play with all there heart and if they lose they lose

I have little time so i will only post my short view on this event -

I think that this is a poor move and they should have invested big cash into getting an English manager or Jose as he was the only non Englishmen i would accept. Although as he was the only man who wanted the job there wasn't a lot the English board could do.

If or when he gets the job i say good luck to him. ;)

Well personally speaking I reckon the FA have done the right thing. Jose never wanted the job anyway. The more I read about Capello you realise that we are onto a winner. Nine Titles in fifteen seasons in four clubs in two different top leagues. We are talking Ferguson levels of success and can't see many English supporters complaining if he wanted the job. Buffon described him a dictator, which after the star struck reign of McMuppet and Sven sounds just perfect. Can you see Capello putting up with another WAGS media circus.

Honestly can't believe people are still going on about an English manager. Surely the best thing is getting the best person possible who has a proven track record, available and wants the job. Quite frankly if he can put some passion into the players then he could come from Mars as far a I was concerned. Doe's anybody seriously want another generation in the football wilderness just so we can say our coach is English

How about Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal. Would they accept their current managers and win trophies or an English manager just for the sake of it. Apart from Sir Bobby Robson and Terry Venables has any recent English managers ever actually won anything major? Champions League/Uefa cup etc. All the talk of Coppell, O'Neill and Pearce left me thinking why. What actually have any of them won? OK O'Neill has won 3 SPL titles, but with a due respect to Celtic and SPL fans there isn't too much competition. I am not saying that they are all not excellent managers, but we have gone down the route of having unproven managers and it just doesn't work.

Well personally speaking I reckon the FA have done the right thing. Jose never wanted the job anyway. The more I read about Capello you realise that we are onto a winner. Nine Titles in fifteen seasons in four clubs in two different top leagues. We are talking Ferguson levels of success and can't see many English supporters complaining if he wanted the job. Buffon described him a dictator' date=' which after the star struck reign of McMuppet and Sven sounds just perfect. Can you see Capello putting up with another WAGS media circus.

Honestly can't believe people are still going on about an English manager. Surely the best thing is getting the best person possible who has a proven track record, available and wants the job. Quite frankly if he can put some passion into the players then he could come from Mars as far a I was concerned. Doe's anybody seriously want another generation in the football wilderness just so we can say our coach is English

How about Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal. Would they accept their current managers and win trophies or an English manager just for the sake of it. Apart from Sir Bobby Robson and Terry Venables has any recent English managers ever actually won anything major? Champions League/Uefa cup etc. All the talk of Coppell, O'Neill and Pearce left me thinking why. What actually have any of them won? OK O'Neill has won 3 SPL titles, but with a due respect to Celtic and SPL fans there isn't too much competition. I am not saying that they are all not excellent managers, but we have gone down the route of having unproven managers and it just doesn't work.[/quote']

Agree 100%, Im never really been bothered about the nationality of the manager as long as he can get the team "working" and im sure Capello will do that.

Im not mad on the idea of very negative football no matter what results it brings, when Houiller was in charge at Liverpool we won quite a bit but I didnt enjoy watching them at all some games was awful yeah we won but so what whats the point in winning if you are horrible to watch for me football is not just about winning.

If I could have chosen any manager in the world it would have been Wenger imo hes the best manager in the world currently some managers might have had more success but Wenger gets his success by his team playing the game the way it should be played imo, not only that not 2 many managers can boast his transfer record in terms of profits for his club inc Sir Alex.

My 2nd choice even tho his teams dont play great football was mourinho because I knew he wouldnt put up with some of the bigger stars in the squad who imho have gotten pretty lazy during matches, most of which dont do it at club level because they know 100% wether its Sir Alex, Rafa, Wenger will not put up with it.

Hmmmmm ....... here's what I think. :rolleyes:

Capello has done very well in the past at CLUB level. This for me is the first issue, he has no experience coaching at international level, let alone a country who's style, mentality and players he in unfamiliar with.

At club level at least, a coach sees the same players week in week out, builds repoar with them and is able to establish a relationship. This will be much harder to do when coaching players that only assemble for a few days to a week every couple of months.

I'm also worried that he'll stick to big name players and the more senior and already established 'stars' rather than taking a chance on up and coming talent like Bentley, Richards, etc

Secondly, despite a wonderful club record of winning titles, look at the calibre of the teams he has managed. Real Madrid, AC Milan, Roma, Juventus ... it's like the big guns and most prized teams on SM. :D

When you compare this at international level it's more like Brazil, Argentina, Germany and France. :rolleyes:

He has never won anything with a mediocre team, and tbh that's how I rate the English side atm. For me England is barely in the top 10 sides in Europe.

Italy, France, Portugal, Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Croatia, Turkey and Russia are all on the SAME level if not better than the might of England atm.

I'm predicting he won't succeed although like Sven, his tactics will be better than what the MAC ever managed to come up with (ie NOT much :P ).

Happy to discuss and debate further.

Bring it on Nells. ;)

Herby

p.s. I deliberately didn't include Scotland in the list as I don't want this turning into a 'who's better' (again) debate. :(

Guest the plummer

Herby

p.s. I deliberately included Scotland in the list as I wanted this to turn into a 'who's better' debate. :(

:eek:Herby Wouldnt Expect that from You

:D Top Manaher who will have respect of the players and if am honest thats all you need at internationall level:)

I think Cappelo will definetely do better than Sven and Mclaren.

Even though he has a defensive aura of football,football is really about winning.

Say Croatia and Scotland versed and Scotland won 2 - 1 but Croatia played with all they had got,who would be the happier side,-Scotland.

Yh the Croatian manager would be like good job you really gave it your all,while Scotland will be partying and dancing for joy :rolleyes:

At the end of the day,If Cappelo gets you to the semi-finals of the WC,but plays terrible football, you better be happy, because that is probably the highest you can currently get imo.

Besides the poll is clearly dominating.Even though most of the great signing voters may not be English,maybe England themselves do not know what is good for them :eek:

YEah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Quality....shame we aint got many games to look forward to.

Look on the bright side, he'll have plenty of time to get to learn english :P and get to know what Fat Frank likes for breakfast! ;)

I think he'll use the next 6 months to play some friendlies, observe the players in those games (and at club level) and then TRY to come up with the best formation for the team.

I have always believed that England should play a 4-1-3-2 formation and use their wide players as wingers. Whether you english like it or not, the ground roots of your game is based on crosses and aerial strength. The english players on the whole aren't as technically talented as those from latin countries and therefore should exploit their own strengths (physical, direct play) rather than match that of their opponents. :rolleyes:

Herby

Hmmmmm ....... here's what I think. :rolleyes:

Capello has done very well in the past at CLUB level. This for me is the first issue' date=' he has no experience coaching at international level, let alone a country who's style, mentality and players he in unfamiliar with.

At club level at least, a coach sees the same players week in week out, builds repoar with them and is able to establish a relationship. This will be much harder to do when coaching players that only assemble for a few days to a week every couple of months.

I'm also worried that he'll stick to big name players and the more senior and already established 'stars' rather than taking a chance on up and coming talent like Bentley, Richards, etc

Secondly, despite a wonderful club record of winning titles, look at the calibre of the teams he has managed. Real Madrid, AC Milan, Roma, Juventus ... it's like the big guns and most prized teams on SM. :D

When you compare this at international level it's more like Brazil, Argentina, Germany and France. :rolleyes:

He has [u']never[/u] won anything with a mediocre team, and tbh that's how I rate the English side atm. For me England is barely in the top 10 sides in Europe.

Italy, France, Portugal, Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Croatia, Turkey and Russia are all on the SAME level if not better than the might of England atm.

I'm predicting he won't succeed although like Sven, his tactics will be better than what the MAC ever managed to come up with (ie NOT much :P ).

Happy to discuss and debate further.

Bring it on Nells. ;)

Herby

p.s. I deliberately didn't include Scotland in the list as I don't want this turning into a 'who's better' (again) debate. :(

I agree that England aint near the top nations in the world thats my whole point and have never been against it.

I was and still am disgraced with the whole England squad people say Croatia outplayed us at Wembley but anybody who watched the match knows why.

take just Gerrard for example being a massive LFC fan I have seen what he can do for many years both in the EPL and in the CL against the best midfielders the world has to offer, against Croatia Gerrard couldnt hit a 10 yard pass, is this because like some idiots have been saying (not on this thread mind) that he isnt good enough ? or he isnt world class? give me a break hes just not used right for England and has not shown his true form which is down to many reasons 1 of which is Lampard, but then Lampard has the exact same issue back again.

But the reason I back Gerrard over Lampard is because when they do play together Lampard keeps his role, how many times have you seen Lamps out on RW or playing DM? 0 we all know the reason for that.

during the quals Robbo has also been poor at best hes cost us alot of points and considering we only missed out by a few points I think that says alot, everyone has seen how a team crumbles when they lose trust in the GK from the back upwards, why wasnt he dropped until the very LAST game? because we had a clown as our manager.

quite a few of the England players have excelled in the CL, people cant say its harder in international football becuase that simply isnt true who has the better side Russia or Barcelona? Milan? because when playing for there clubs in there rightfull positions in a formation they like they are just fine against "world class" oponents.

In football as many teams has proven over and over and over again you dont have to be the best techincally or have the best players if you are willing to put 100% effort into every match and get a little bit of luck then anything can happen.

just take crouch for example when hes on the pitch for some reason the England players just punt the ball long to him, well he doesnt really like playing that role at all hes never really been like big Dunc was hes probably better on the deck than he is in the air.

For me the manager makes a massive, massive impact, when LFC not only won the CL a few years back but also made the final was it because we had the best players? not a chance it was Rafa's tactics that got us there especially the year we won it as we have very average players at best.

Terry, rio, Gerrard, Lamps, Hargreeves, Cole x2, Rooney & Owen have all proven they can play against high class oposition and be good enough.

Does that automaticly mean we should win all the time? no it doesnt none of the other so called bigger Nations do it so why should England.

here is your list...

Italy, France, Portugal, Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Croatia, Turkey and Russia

Well excluding Italy & France none of those teams have really done anything have they we usually do better than nearly all of those in most tournaments

anyways old herbs considering some of the tallent you guys have had over the years how do you not usually qualify compared to your poor oposition?

av it!!! :D

here is your list...

Italy' date=' France, Portugal, Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Croatia, Turkey and Russia

Well excluding Italy & France none of those teams have really done anything have they we usually do better than nearly all of those in most tournaments

anyways old herbs considering some of the tallent you guys have had over the years how do you not usually qualify compared to your poor oposition?

av it!!! :D[/quote']

wc Final Brazil 2 - 0 Germany.

WC semi finals Italy 2 - 0 Germany

Don't underestimate Germany's potential.

wc Final Brazil 2 - 0 Germany.

WC semi finals Italy 2 - 0 Germany

Don't underestimate Germany's potential.

the WC they lost to Brazil not only did we beat them 5-1 in Germany but we also lost to Brazil in the Q final, so if Germany had Brazil in the Q final then maybe they would have gone out.