Sign in to follow this  
Nico66

Squad Caps

In case anyone doesn't read the SM Blog there was recently a post made by SM Steven regarding the issue of squad caps and how the changes to the loans system, concerns and, more recently, the player wage structure, are partially designed to create a natural squad cap rather than an enforced one.

It is titled "Squad Cap or No Squad Cap - that is the question!".

If you have the time then I recommend that you read it.  It is a very interesting article and gives a valuable insight into SM's opinions on player hogging, what is a reasonable size squad and how you can keep your club free of concerns whilst at the same time maintaining an active transfer market in your game world.

In case anyone doesn't read the SM Blog there was recently a post made by SM Steven regarding the issue of squad caps and how the changes to the loans system, concerns and, more recently, the player wage structure, are partially designed to create a natural squad cap rather than an enforced one.

It is titled "Squad Cap or No Squad Cap - that is the question!".

If you have the time then I recommend that you read it.  It is a very interesting article and gives a valuable insight into SM's opinions on player hogging, what is a reasonable size squad and how you can keep your club free of concerns whilst at the same time maintaining an active transfer market in your game world.

I havn't read it yet but whatever it says, Man U now have the ability to have a massive squad and Wrexham can no longer build a squad to get into Division 1, unless they play unmanaged teams.

That goes against what sm were saying before the made the awful improvements.

Agree. I was doding some good buy low sell high in a 50% managed 5 div EC and got my Gateshead form a squad worth like 100K up to 100M and am storming div 4 atm. but i have already had to start going backwards on how good my squad is very quickly. div 4 is mostly unmanaged so ill win. but to get into div 1 with all these sales will probably be impossible.

Interesting.  I took over Torquay in a new GC world with a view to seeing how far I can progress whilst keeping my wage bill level with the club income.  I have now been promoted to Div 4 with about 400k left.  Looking at the teams in Div 4 my squad will be in the upper quartile already in regard to ratings plus I am still waiting to see what prize money I will get for winning Div 5.  

Like you, Cam, I am expecting it to be become more difficult the further up we go, although its a slight bit different for me because in your EC more players will be available than in my GC.

My team is currently valued at 11m and we won Div 5 quite comfortably although the value is, to be honest, inflated because my two best players are loaned in and they account for over 5m of the total value.  Obviously these assets do not really belong to the club and so, from a financial perspective, should be discounted from the balance sheet.  One of the parent clubs of my loan players is now unmanaged so I don't think I will be able to loan him again next season although I am hoping that the other one will join for another season :)

Next season I know that my TV revenue will rise and hopefully gate receipts too (my 6.5k stadium was attracting an average of 2.5k fans, which isn't much considering we were in top spot for most of the second half of the season).  Last season we didn't even manage to sell any season tickets either but I am hoping that will change next season.

My squad is quite small (24 players including the two loans) and I lost almost 40% of my initial capital by signing a 76 rated defender for 1.1m, who then dropped in value to 360k practically the next day when the new upgrade arrived.  To be honest I was close to quitting at that point as I felt like I had been mugged but I am glad I stuck it out.

In the end I managed to recover some of this loss by selling a couple of risers although for nowhere the profit I would have done under the old system.  Additionally I also managed to sell off some of the original Torquay players for 120k rather than the 10k they would have been worth.

The biggest cash injection we received was from a lucrative cup draw at White Hart Lane.  We lost the match 5-0 but we were laughing all the way to Daniel Levy's bank.

So,, the plan for next season is to establish what my new income will be and, coupled with the prize money (still to be determined), use that to calculate how much I can increase my wage bill to strengthen the squad.

To be honest I think we will be in good shape to challenge for promotion again next season but, as you say, there is probably going to come a point in time when we no longer have the resources to keep improving the team but we will see.

Interesting.  I took over Torquay in a new GC world with a view to seeing how far I can progress whilst keeping my wage bill level with the club income.  I have now been promoted to Div 4 with about 400k left.  Looking at the teams in Div 4 my squad will be in the upper quartile already in regard to ratings plus I am still waiting to see what prize money I will get for winning Div 5.  

Like you, Cam, I am expecting it to be become more difficult the further up we go, although its a slight bit different for me because in your EC more players will be available than in my GC.

My team is currently valued at 11m and we won Div 5 quite comfortably although the value is, to be honest, inflated because my two best players are loaned in and they account for over 5m of the total value.  Obviously these assets do not really belong to the club and so, from a financial perspective, should be discounted from the balance sheet.  One of the parent clubs of my loan players is now unmanaged so I don't think I will be able to loan him again next season although I am hoping that the other one will join for another season :)

Next season I know that my TV revenue will rise and hopefully gate receipts too (my 6.5k stadium was attracting an average of 2.5k fans, which isn't much considering we were in top spot for most of the second half of the season).  Last season we didn't even manage to sell any season tickets either but I am hoping that will change next season.

My squad is quite small (24 players including the two loans) and I lost almost 40% of my initial capital by signing a 76 rated defender for 1.1m, who then dropped in value to 360k practically the next day when the new upgrade arrived.  To be honest I was close to quitting at that point as I felt like I had been mugged but I am glad I stuck it out.

In the end I managed to recover some of this loss by selling a couple of risers although for nowhere the profit I would have done under the old system.  Additionally I also managed to sell off some of the original Torquay players for 120k rather than the 10k they would have been worth.

The biggest cash injection we received was from a lucrative cup draw at White Hart Lane.  We lost the match 5-0 but we were laughing all the way to Daniel Levy's bank.

So,, the plan for next season is to establish what my new income will be and, coupled with the prize money (still to be determined), use that to calculate how much I can increase my wage bill to strengthen the squad.

To be honest I think we will be in good shape to challenge for promotion again next season but, as you say, there is probably going to come a point in time when we no longer have the resources to keep improving the team but we will see.

its a forum EC nico, not sure that i do have more players available than your GC. It is supposed to be a challenge which i like going up divisions should irl with a few extraordinary exceptions liek Southampton be a move up consolidate process. This is a fantasy game though and i think that the new sytem does lend itself to making it very difficult for small sides to afford any talent.

I've just read the blog, especially the bit about concerns. What a crock of crap. Sounds like he's only ever managed a large club with good base finances, and never had to tackle a small team with limited income.

Why would anyone loan out a 80+ player over 22?

Of course there's no point for development, when in-game match time or performance doesn't affect player rating in any way.

The answer must be player hogging, of course.

It would appear that the thought of buying in and holding risers to sell off later never crosses his mind.

20 first team players with an average rating of 93 means he's got a pretty well stacked team in terms of ratings. Not everyone can assemble a team that good in an active game world, and not many teams can now afford the wages of a team that good. Certainly most of the small teams dragged up over the years to the top flight can't manage it on base finances, they'd need to be pretty hot on buying and selling risers to keep in the black.

Have a balanced squad with low rated players as well as superstars? Stick an 83 rated player in defence, and an 86 on the wing, to complement his 96 rated strikers?

Not everyone can have a pair of 96+ rated strikers, and risk a weaker defence in the hope their 89-90 rated strikers can make up for it.

Believe it or not SM, most people are lucky (in active/competetive GW's) to build up a team with an average of 89-90.

No wonder this game is going down the pan, all of their changes and tweaks seem to be based on their limited experience of managing big teams with small, high rated squads.

Income from merchandise, TV revenue and gate receipts from the huge stadiums easily covers the wages of their smaller squads, so they automatically assume that everything's fine, or needs tweaking down.

As someone who's dragged a small team up from Div 3 to the top over 6 years, finances are really tight with a strong squad. First team of 24 players, avg 91, is costing me a couple of million a week.

The only way to stay in the black is "hogging" and selling risers. It used to be fun, with a regular rating schedule.

Now we can go almost two game seasons before anyone rises (much longer if they're not playing in one of the big leagues), meaning this revenue stream is highly unreliable.

The stadium capacity increases helped a lot, but the TV revenue and merchandising never seems to increase, regardless of team success.

Result? Small teams are now incrementally difficult to take to the top - the better your team, the harder it is.

I also run a Newcastle team in a different GW, taken from D2 to D1 with an average rating of 89. OK, wages are lower, but other income is so much higher, at one point I was making £1m+ every home game.

Result? Even if I eventually manage to build the team up to the same avg rating level as my smaller team, I'll never take as much of a financial hit, even with much less success.

Perhaps SM should actually try and play all facets of their game for several years to get a better idea of how the game runs for everyone?

Screwing around with fundamental system mechanics because your big teams are OK, without a thought for the overall effects on everyone else, is a great way to annoy long term players.

/rant

sorry

:)

its a forum EC nico, not sure that i do have more players available than your GC. It is supposed to be a challenge which i like going up divisions should irl with a few extraordinary exceptions liek Southampton be a move up consolidate process. This is a fantasy game though and i think that the new sytem does lend itself to making it very difficult for small sides to afford any talent.

My Gold Championship currently has 107 managed teams.  Even if your forum EC is fully complimented then you would only have, what, 116 managers so I don't think that makes any difference.

My point was that in an EC every player outside the English league is available, even for swap deals involving players that, in real life, would just get laughed at.  Granted at your Gateshead you wouldn't be competing for Messi or anyone like that but in a GC hardly any good players are available from the big leagues because they are mostly at managed clubs.

Anyway, it is not my intention to start a discussion over the merits of a GC over an EC (I have managed a team in a popular forum EC myself for the last 4 years).  I just think that in gold worlds it is a little more challenging and realistic that you can only purchase unmanaged players with cash; thus making cash more valuable, and that was the crux of the SM post that I originally drew attention to.

If you read it (or have read it) you will see that even Steven points out that although the SM database consists of literally thousands of players there are, actually, only a small percentage that managers are interested in signing and he (it would seem) suggests that the way forward in keeping game worlds active, challenging and interesting is to keep the value of money at it's maximum by encouraging/forcing managers to sell players for cash.

That is, of course, easier said than done.  

As Paul states in his reply above, SM need to do more to prevent the cash rich clubs from hogging the best players at the expense of the smaller clubs but the reason I was so interested in Steven's blog is that it suggests that SM is also thinking along the same lines.

I can think of several features that SM could introduce, many of which have already been mentioned elsewhere on the forum, that would force clubs (not necessarily managers) to sell players but I'm not sure if they would be overly popular.  All depends on if you have a small club or not I guess.

And when you consider how some people will complain at things like having to click their mouse twice instead of once then you can imagine how they would be if they woke up one morning to find that their Neymar had packed his bags & vacated the premises overnight  :) ...

Alot of the talk of squad caps comes because of these 100/200+ player squads. I thought with the changes we might see managers culling these squads. I only play in the most popular GC and to date these mass culls aren't occuring within the bigger squads. Theres one squad I know of in particular has over 200 players he has many 23+ years old players hes allowed to get level 2/3 concerns that are from obscure leagues never likely to make it big time. You think to yourself why doesnt he offload them but time after time he'll just wait until they go level 5 concern and lose them that way instead. Hes still able to bid on players and seems entirely unaffected by the changes. I guess being able to loan out 70 they'll never ammount to anything players helped. Steven touched on this in his article. I agree. There seems no logic to loaning out a 28 year old 82 rated player who has no hope of making your first team. With opportunities to loan players out in this GC ever so limited this is a practise we could do without. 

I have read the blog now and it does seem that Steven is out of touch/clueless with the real problem for the rest of us.

It reads a bit like Cameron giving a talk on how he understands how it is to be poor.

Typically sm have tried to put a stop to something but have made it worse.

I took over a Man Utd side that contains Messi and Ronaldo, has an 94 rated eleven , 31 in the squad with a wage bill of 2.3m and i have more than 80m in the bank, so i could easily build up a squad of 80 and maintain it.

i make money over one home and one away game and then there is prize money to come at the end of the season and it's only the 2nd season.

The old game used to allow you to take a side from div 5 and compete , now you can't if the gameworld is full of active managers, yet sm seems oblivious to it's failings.

I have read the blog now and it does seem that Steven is out of touch/clueless with the real problem for the rest of us.

It reads a bit like Cameron giving a talk on how he understands how it is to be poor.

Typically sm have tried to put a stop to something but have made it worse.

I took over a Man Utd side that contains Messi and Ronaldo, has an 94 rated eleven , 31 in the squad with a wage bill of 2.3m and i have more than 80m in the bank, so i could easily build up a squad of 80 and maintain it.

i make money over one home and one away game and then there is prize money to come at the end of the season and it's only the 2nd season.

The old game used to allow you to take a side from div 5 and compete , now you can't if the gameworld is full of active managers, yet sm seems oblivious to it's failings.

do you mean me? If you do i do not get it, I am not wealthy at all, I still rent my very small apartment and have a baby on the way and drive a 13 year old car. If you do refer to me I'm not sure where you get that idea from but i equally detest the arrogant and belligerent implication you make using your misguided point to compare me to what you consider Stevens ineptitude. I think by now Paul the entire SM community is very well aware of your perceived failings of the game and i am more than sure you will continue with your campaign of complaint. I only ask from now on you avoid being rude to people and actually deliver constructive points instead of throwing your proverbial toys out of the pram. Do you think you can do that for me?

do you mean me? If you do i do not get it, I am not wealthy at all, I still rent my very small apartment and have a baby on the way and drive a 13 year old car. If you do refer to me I'm not sure where you get that idea from but i equally detest the arrogant and belligerent implication you make using your misguided point to compare me to what you consider Stevens ineptitude. I think by now Paul the entire SM community is very well aware of your perceived failings of the game and i am more than sure you will continue with your campaign of complaint. I only ask from now on you avoid being rude to people and actually deliver constructive points instead of throwing your proverbial toys out of the pram. Do you think you can do that for me?

Lol!! I think Paul was referring to David Cameron mate rather than your good self!!

Congrats on the baby by the way,, me too.. or at least my wife is expecting a baby,,, I'm just expecting a lot of noise and expense :)

Lol!! I think Paul was referring to David Cameron mate rather than your good self!!

Congrats on the baby by the way,, me too.. or at least my wife is expecting a baby,,, I'm just expecting a lot of noise and expense :)

Nicholas is right, sorry i never gave it a thought as i am used to seeing everyone refer to you as Cam.

Congratulations on the baby, hope all goes well.