Guys I need help with putting together a strong Defensive tactic as the ones I have used tend not to work.

In general i tend to use: 

Tackling - Hard

Passing - Mixed

Tempo - Slow

Mentality - Defensive

Attacking - Mixed

Pressing - Own Half

Against sides whick play 'Attacking' against me this tends to go wrong, in some cases badly wrong. Any advice?

Guys I need help with putting together a strong Defensive tactic as the ones I have used tend not to work.

Tackling - Hard

Passing - Mixed

Tempo - Slow

Mentality - Defensive

Attacking - Mixed

Pressing - Own Half

Against sides whick play 'Attacking' against me this tends to go wrong, in some cases badly wrong. Any advice?

Yes.

Your approach is too much "passive", I would change the following ones in:

Tackling - Aggressive (increase at max ratio of tackles and possible counterattacks)

Tempo - Fast  (as soon as a counterattack option is possible, your team will speed up the action to use the defensive holes of the opponent teams before they can cover them)

Pressing - All over (disrupts the opponent team playstyle, reducing the chance of scoring for them)

This settings allow your team to keep a defensive (or very defensive, depending on the situation) mentality that it's also effective in counterattacks and opponent play disruption. 

To make it even more effective, it's possible to use  "achique lateral" - use  a module that creates a central wall of players to lure your opponent to attack in the flanks, where it's easier to recover the ball and making difficult for the opponent to score...

As playmaker, it's better if he is a DLP in front of the defense (like Alonso) to start the counter attack.

Attacking - Down both flanks (if you use a module with wingers and you have good wingers)

Most fullbacks are adapted wingers  that don't defend well - striking down both flanks on the counter is usually very effective.

Tackling - Hard

Passing - Mixed

Tempo - Slow

Mentality - Defensive

Attacking - Mixed

Pressing - Own Half

I'm very happy to talk about tactics by long time.

You should generally use defensive when your squad has a lower avg rating than your counter.

I'd go with this setup:

Tackling - Hard (if your opponent has less than 2 avg rating ptst han you); Aggressive (if your opponent has 2 or more avg rating pts than you)

Passing - Long ball (or mixed if your opponent has less than 2 avg rating pts than you and you have different rated players as defenders and middies)

Tempo - Fast

Mentality - Defensive

Attacking - Down both flanks

Pressing - Own Half (if your opponent has less than 2 avg rating ptst han you); Own area (if your opponent has 2 or more avg rating pts than you)

• 1 month later...

I'm very happy to talk about tactics by long time.

Indeed it's good to see some recent tactics discussion.

I have a question for you regarding Tackling. If you use Aggressive and your defenders are much less rated then the attackers, aren't you risking red cards?

In terms of Pressing I would go with Own Half maybe in both situations (less than 2 or more than 2). Can you elaborate a bit?

Thanks.

I have a question for you regarding Tackling. If you use Aggressive and your defenders are much less rated then the attackers, aren't you risking red cards?

In terms of Pressing I would go with Own Half maybe in both situations (less than 2 or more than 2). Can you elaborate a bit?

Thanks.

I would use aggressive tackling if my defense line and whole avg squad is much lower than my opponent. In terms of pressing, I'd chose own half with a 4+ mid (4-5-1A-B usually); if I play with a 5 men defence (5-3-2 or 5-4-1) I'd go with a own area pressing, that's all.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for you regarding Tackling. If you use Aggressive and your defenders are much less rated then the attackers, aren't you risking red cards?

Thanks.

Yes, you risk red cards but in exchange your team will always try to stop with tackling the opponent so it's a fair trade.

About pressing, I strongly disagree.

If you just want to park the bus, own half/own area might work but there is a huge minus - your team will be too much passive (especially against fast + all over attacking teams) and the risk of allowing a goal increase drastically. Especially if your team plays with lower tempos (slow, normal) plus considering that gk performance in defensive mindset seems a bit underwhelming on SM.

It's better, in my experience, all over pressing + fast (like Atletico Madrid in real life):

1) interference with play construction of the opponent

2) higher chance to cause a defensive mistake on the opponent and capitalize on the counter

3) reduce to minimum opponent shots (so underperforming gk is not much an issue).

You're welcome.