De Gea (94) concedes a goal from EVERY shot on target

Hi guys, I have a strange problem where pretty much every shot an opponent gets on target results in a goal for them.

I'm playing a 5-2-3 formation with: De Gea; Azpilicueta, Gimenez, Hummels, Boateng, Ricardo Rodriguez; Verratti, Gundogen; Messi, Muller, Ozil.

So a pretty solid team, with great defenders and a good goalkeeper in De Gea.

It happened all the way through last season. I thought the issue may be resolved after De Gea got a rise to 94, but it's still the same. I'll end a game with around 10+ shots on target to my opponent's 1, and I'll still end up losing 0-1 or drawing 1-1.

Any one else experienced something like this before? 

Hi guys, I have a strange problem where pretty much every shot an opponent gets on target results in a goal for them.

I'm playing a 5-2-3 formation with: De Gea; Azpilicueta, Gimenez, Hummels, Boateng, Ricardo Rodriguez; Verratti, Gundogen; Messi, Muller, Ozil.

So a pretty solid team, with great defenders and a good goalkeeper in De Gea.

It happened all the way through last season. I thought the issue may be resolved after De Gea got a rise to 94, but it's still the same. I'll end a game with around 10+ shots on target to my opponent's 1, and I'll still end up losing 0-1 or drawing 1-1.

Any one else experienced something like this before? 

As it seems that you are dominating your matches but not winning I would perhaps try changing your formation to see if there is a difference?

As you say, your team is pretty solid but, in my experience, I have always found that formations with 3 attackers (4-3-3, 3-4-3, 5-2-3, etc) rarely seem to perform very well.

I know you have some great players but I wouldn't let yourself fall into the trap of picking a formation just because it can accommodate them. In my view it is wiser to choose players that suit your formation rather than choose a formation to suit your players.

I hope you have better luck soon!

Drop the 5 defenders. Your goalkeeper is good enough to save the few chances they will create.

In your matches the 5 defenders are only letting 1-2 shots past them. De Gea will have a 5 rating in game. The trick is to let 5-6 shot in so he will save them, build up his ingame rating to 7/8 and then when the one truly awesome shot comes in he will save it.

You will need a formation with 4 or 3 defenders. It's that simple. You will need 1/2/3 attackers depending on how much they can score. The rest will go in midfield

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Forgot to mention - I was initially playing a 4-2-3-1 formation at the start of last season, but changed to a back 5 after this problem came up to try and make us more solid. So I don't think it's the back 5 formation that caused the issue.

The rest of the team generally play quite well and the results usually aren't so bad. There is the odd game where I lose 0-1 after dominating, as I mentioned in my initial post, but most of the time, my strikers score enough goals to counter De Gea's fault.

Do you think the problem could lie with my tactics?

Tackling Style: Soft

Mentality: Defensive

Passing Style: Long Ball

Attacking Style: Mixed

Tempo: Slow

Pressing: All Over

Forgot to mention - I was initially playing a 4-2-3-1 formation at the start of last season, but changed to a back 5 after this problem came up to try and make us more solid. So I don't think it's the back 5 formation that caused the issue.

The rest of the team generally play quite well and the results usually aren't so bad. There is the odd game where I lose 0-1 after dominating, as I mentioned in my initial post, but most of the time, my strikers score enough goals to counter De Gea's fault.

Tackling Style: Soft - will certainly allow your opponents claim more possession

Mentality: Defensive - depends on the strength of your opponent and/or what formation you expect him to play

Passing Style: Long Ball ​- for your 5-2-3 this might be okay if you want your defenders to pump the ball direct to your forwards.  But considering the midfielders that you have in your team it would seem better to use direct or short to allow them to utilise the creativity that you are paying them for.  For me the long ball option (hoof it and see) is the Alamo of tactics (i.e. when everything else has failed)

Attacking Style: Mixed - for 5-2-3 (or 4-2-3-1) I would consider attacking down the wings but again, depends somewhat on what your opponent intends to do.

Tempo: Slow - seems to help with possession although more possession doesn't necessarily win you the game.  If you think your team are strong enough to dominate the game then fine, if not then go with normal.

Pressing: All Over - if you plan to stick with a 5 man defence then I think you could get away with 'own half' or even 'own area'.  Pressing all over will encourage your defence to push forward and possibly expose you at times.

My thoughts are in red.  But I don't think any of us know for sure how much difference these selections actually make to the game engine. You just need to experiment and come up with whatever works best for you.  

I would minimum have tackling normal. Hard is okay if you have depth to cover occasional suspensions - you should get more ball. Mentality varies greatly on who you are playing. Id hange the 523 disgusting formation, but if you intend to keep, play direct. Long ball is a "more random result" according to SM, Direct is more about skipping small midfields imo. Slow tempo imo only for stronger midfield than opponent or more players. almost certainly want fast for that formation and with direct/long ball. Slow long balls dont sound very effective. As said above with those tactics (again i say change that formation to 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 or something) You should probably play own half.

Tackling Style: Soft

Mentality: Defensive

Passing Style: Long Ball

Attacking Style: Mixed

Tempo: Slow

Pressing: All Over

Yes, I'd change some instructions:

Tackling: Aggressive (increase tackling ratio as max as possible)

Passing style: Mixed

Tempo: Fast 

Playmaker: Verratti as DLP in front of your defense

That's similar to Atletico Madrid style - they're defensive, but not "passive"!

They press all over, and they'll counterattack as fast as possible when they have the ball to use the defensive holes when the opponent is caught off guard

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I guess I changed to 'soft' tackling style to try to avoid picking up cards (which are often picked up due to my defensive style) - which it has been useful for to be fair, but I'll try going back to normal/hard.

The 'slow' tempo was in order to work a good opportunity rather than rushing - aiming for quality over quantity I guess, and the 'long ball' style was to try to get the ball to my 3 forwards when the opportunity came up, to let my best attacking players take the shots. 

But I'll definitely make some adjustments there as recommended by you guys and hopefully I see some improvement!

Thanks again!

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I guess I changed to 'soft' tackling style to try to avoid picking up cards (which are often picked up due to my defensive style) - which it has been useful for to be fair, but I'll try going back to normal/hard.

The 'slow' tempo was in order to work a good opportunity rather than rushing - aiming for quality over quantity I guess, and the 'long ball' style was to try to get the ball to my 3 forwards when the opportunity came up, to let my best attacking players take the shots. 

But I'll definitely make some adjustments there as recommended by you guys and hopefully I see some improvement!

Thanks again!

the reasons you state for slow and long ball are both sound, but just not as a combination. you want quality over quantity but then play a long ball? either Fast - Direct/Long ball or slow-mixed/short. Good luck

3-5-2 used to be the magic formation but these days 4-4-2 does me well although I do tend to have a 93+ rated team at most occasions. Managed an unbeaten season and a 1 loss season in recent months.

I always use hard tackling but again I always have lots of cover because I've kept my two teams for a long time.

the reasons you state for slow and long ball are both sound, but just not as a combination. you want quality over quantity but then play a long ball? either Fast - Direct/Long ball or slow-mixed/short. Good luck

Good point, that makes sense. Thanks for your help!