EdMoses

Thought i'd pop by and say hello!

Just now, EdMoses said:

hows it brother? if your not alive, your hand is at the very least.

Might be my tounge.. or just a few toes.. One never knows o.O

Life's alright atleast, still, better now than it has been, going around the world in a few months.. :D

Nice ! make sure you get a world tour tshirt printed eh?

In other news, SM Dev Andy just posted this: -

Hello,

Its been a long time since I have posted in the forum.

There are going to be many changes to SM Worlds coming in the following months that will move the game in many ways back more towards what it used to be in the years gone by.

The first thing and possibly the most important of these is the approach that we will take.  We will be a lot more engaged with the community going forward,, especially right here in the forum,  You are now going to see us about a lot more, just like you used to.  

Secondly we will be working through a whole range of issues to improve the game and forum.  Its your game and we want and need you to work with us to improve very aspect of it (including the forum itself).  We will also be very transparent on the changes we are doing 

Every few weeks a batch of changes will be placed in the game and they will be logged at the thread below.  We will also be asking for your help shaping the future changes we do.

We want to ensure we remain a community driven game and if we are going to do it then we will need your help to achieve it.

On Friday, September 02, 2016 at 0:10 PM, Machine said:

Hi all, long time no type!

It sounds as if what we all need is a fresh, new, exciting challenge that we can all rally around and get on board with as an authentic forum-based (no FB page and newsfeed chat to a minimum) gameworld?

Right now - for those of us that are not already grumpy old men - we certainly sound like grumpy old men, grumpy old men who are in real need of a place where  we can gather together, reminisce about the old days, and maybe enjoy a bit of sunshine in the process....I speak of a gameworld where access is exclusive, where there are no cheating children, no SMFA, just old friends reuniting and having a laugh (and doubtless a moan when results come in!).

I know that if there was sufficient interest I'd certainly drop a few teams to give such a venture proper attention.

I've long thought of an updated, tougher version of the GBL but I appreciate that rating caps aren't everyone's cup of tea so I think I've an idea for a more standard approach that is simple enough but with a few twists to keep things interesting and help it stand out from the crowd.

Anyone interested in hearing more?

Interested.   Might have an idea 

On 02/09/2016 at 1:11 PM, EdMoses said:

Yep.

(Hoping its something like Progress)

On 03/09/2016 at 10:40 AM, swanseajack said:

Something like that would be ideal Machine. 

On 03/09/2016 at 3:14 PM, drseanfitz said:

Interested.   Might have an idea 

I've always thought it'd be good fun to have a proper full-scale Can-Am gameworld (not just your standard 20-team 1 division rubbish) with every single available Canadian and US team (64ish in total at my last count).

This would allow for 4 divisions of 16 meaning shorter 30-game seasons, probably with 4 up and 4 down to keep everyone on their toes.

Not expecting or wanting to have 64 managers we could have 16 of us start off in D4 and race to the top GBL- style (only with more cash and no rating cap as this is to be less serious).

Alternatively if there is more than 16 of us I could add in some Jamaican/ Cuban etc. clubs, switch to 5 divisions and then if we start in D4 there is then a 'trap-door' for 4 unlucky souls.

I think blank squads are a must (not least because most of the teams are blank anyway!) but while looking to keep it simple it might be fun to say everyone must have at least 1 token Canadian and/or USA player...?

As I say start off with plenty cash but then I'd maybe alternate rich and poor economies season to season so that there isn't an abundance of cash by season 3 (I don't expect high attendances anyway).

These are the bare bones of it, but happy to tweak to suit the majority as really want to get as many of you all as possible on board.....so come on you Roughnecks, Hammerheads and Rowdies - what do you think???! ;)

49 minutes ago, EdMoses said:

So roughly the working rules would be - Age Restrtictions? Rating Cap? Squad Size? Values? Open auctions? Turn based purchases? etc.

Or are we saying a free for all with blank squad and big budget?

Personally I start to glaze over when there are multiple rules, so the fewer the better and then once we're up and running if we feel something needs fixing we can vote. An appropriate starting budget should naturally keep squad size down and ratings lower - I don't want people to feel they have to be an expert scout to be competitive but equally don't think it's good if everyone can bid on Messi straight away, so maybe something like £75 -100m? That allows £5m a head for First XI and £20m for reserves/youths, although I'll check the budget options as not sure how precise we can be.

33 minutes ago, swanseajack said:

I think blank squads, big budgets, few/no restrictions sounds good. Just a laugh really and shouldn't be too serious.

This is my thinking, more will be turned off by too many rules than too little so let's get everyone locked in first...and then we can start with the 'on turn 12 you must play a 3-3-4 only with players who were born in April and who have the letter Y in their name'....! :o

so - blank squad, budget and away you go.

This is literally tailor made for my zero scouting approach to SM.

For me the big thing will be the social side so keeping it to a close knit group of folks we know will be up for a giggle ON THE FORUM is gonna be key. So not yer Facebooks or yer In Game news feeds but the forum like the "good old days"!

I can confirm my "banter" will be rude, direct, regular and committed. Cant promise laughs but plenty of effort.

10 minutes ago, EdMoses said:

so - blank squad, budget and away you go.

This is literally tailor made for my zero scouting approach to SM.

For me the big thing will be the social side so keeping it to a close knit group of folks we know will be up for a giggle ON THE FORUM is gonna be key. So not yer Facebooks or yer In Game news feeds but the forum like the "good old days"!

I can confirm my "banter" will be rude, direct, regular and committed. Cant promise laughs but plenty of effort.

Yeah, that's what I see as the purpose of the set up really. We've all played this game for a long time, and I don't think the game itself going to pluck up anything new or interesting but I miss the good old days of the interaction in the game world threads. 

56 minutes ago, EdMoses said:

Well part of the Can-Am appeal was that a lot of the team names are a veritable gold-mine of pun/ innuendo possibilities...!

56 minutes ago, EdMoses said:

PS - Bagsy Seattle Sounders!

Seattle Sounders hmmm are they still getting 60,000 crowds then?! ;) We will be choosing from non-MLS teams that's for sure as part of the challenge will be to get to the dizzying heights of D1 MLS. 

55 minutes ago, EdMoses said:

Although saying that - I could do a managers out of the hat type forum reveal like I did for Progress?

I'll see if I can find some open customs with the non-MLS teams to gauge whether they all get similar crowds...or we just say luck of the draw and go for it! Either way a live-ish draw would be fun.

42 minutes ago, swanseajack said:

Yeah, that's what I see as the purpose of the set up really. We've all played this game for a long time, and I don't think the game itself going to pluck up anything new or interesting but I miss the good old days of the interaction in the game world threads. 

Absolutely no FB and newsfeed mainly just for the type of banter that might get you a ban on the forum. A total newsfeed ban I think is unrealistic as newsfeed is so easy. I haven't tried posting a picture since the forum changed but at the very least I'd hope the forum thread will become a decent match report thread.

If you don't mind Ed I'll post a summary on here later that we can refer 'the chosen ones' to for a look then they can PM us yes or no - I'll only start a separate thread once we've good numbers so I can keep the riff-raff at bay and save any hurt feelings....

This is starting to sound good.

So quick role call for those that want involved: -

1. Machine
  2. EdMoses
  3. Swanseajack
  4. Drseanfitz
  5. HannahB

Who else is in? Elohim? Smut? Longnose? Elohim? Arfon? Domlatouche etc etc

We need another 11 minimum......I'll post a link through to the other "who's still alive" thread as there was some good folks there.

1 hour ago, HannahB said:

Sounds a great idea Machine. A good forum thread always made a gameworld good.

I've only just come back on SM after a bit of time away from it so a good new gameworld will be good,.

This is my first post on the forum in 16 months :rolleyes:

Welcome back! I was still dropping in now and then but only for a quick read so think the other day was the first time I'd actually logged in for about 14 months - but we might as well give it a go and see what happens!

I had a look at teams again last night so I reckon our choice is between 16 of us and no Shield competition or if we go for 18 the larger schedule gives us a Shield competition.

If we go with 18 then that also spices things up as I'd be bringing the Jamaicans in to help fill up D5 (think it's 65 USA, 14 Canada, 12 Jamaica)...then instead of Can-Am I guess it'd be the Can-Am-Jam league!

Starting budget is multiples of 10m and thinking more like £50-60m now as the D1 MLS teams will be good but not great so I'd probably argue for as low a budget as people would be happy with.

1 hour ago, EdMoses said:

This is starting to sound good.

So quick role call for those that want involved: -

1. Machine
  2. EdMoses
  3. Swanseajack
  4. Drseanfitz
  5. HannahB

Who else is in? Elohim? Smut? Longnose? Elohim? Arfon? Domlatouche etc etc

We need another 11 minimum......I'll post a link through to the other "who's still alive" thread as there was some good folks there.

I think 16 is a solid number to aim for and yeah there's plenty of the old guard on that thread.

Had a quick look around and good folk like JMH, Alurcard, pedrooliveira, Craig, Gonzodan, marcos vitorino, Noisy, BigGameMo, Dracolis, RieceM96 and mistermalcolm have all been on relatively recently so the numbers are there...if we build it they will come!

3 hours ago, Machine said:

Welcome back! I was still dropping in now and then but only for a quick read so think the other day was the first time I'd actually logged in for about 14 months - but we might as well give it a go and see what happens!

I had a look at teams again last night so I reckon our choice is between 16 of us and no Shield competition or if we go for 18 the larger schedule gives us a Shield competition.

If we go with 18 then that also spices things up as I'd be bringing the Jamaicans in to help fill up D5 (think it's 65 USA, 14 Canada, 12 Jamaica)...then instead of Can-Am I guess it'd be the Can-Am-Jam league!

Starting budget is multiples of 10m and thinking more like £50-60m now as the D1 MLS teams will be good but not great so I'd probably argue for as low a budget as people would be happy with.

Well if Jamaica are in I vote we call it The Red Stripe League!

Bit more detail to update on; having cross-checked the SM database against reality (which is not for the faint-hearted especially the state of the Canadian teams) I reckon we will have 41 clubs to choose from and the  the divisions will break down like this:

D1) Top 9 from MLS East and West at time of creation = 18

D2) Bottom 1 from MLS East and West, all 12 NASL clubs, +4 unpicked = 18

D3) Unpicked from the choice of 41 = 18

D4) OUR PICKS from the choice of 41 = 18

D5) The 7 'B' teams from USL, + 10 from Jamaica, +1 unpicked = 18

By 'B' team I mean the likes of Toronto B, LA Galaxy B etc. as didn't think anyone would be fussed about them.

We will therefore be picking from the 22 remaining USL clubs, the 7 random Canadian teams SM have, and the 12 US teams SM have that are either defunct or so new they don't play yet - I'll type them up later but unless anyone really wants a particular club then Ed will do a grand draw once we have our 18.

18 per division gives us a Shield competition which 16 wouldn't, but does of course give us a target of 18 managers (any over the 18 could be offered a D5 team) - I've fired out a few PMs today and will send more later....probably making this harder than it needs to be by not creating a go-to thread but thought word of mouth is best early on!