• Nigeria
    • Cameroon
    • Mali
    • South Africa
    • Tunisia
    • Senegal
    • Other

Guest SM Dev (Ste)

The African Cup of Nations gets underway one month today, and will be held between 20th January and 1oth February. It will be the 26th edition, and the 2008 edition will be hosted by Ghana. The winner of the tournament will represent Confederation of African Football (CAF) at the 2009 Confederations Cups.

Ghana won the right to host the tournament after defeating Libya 9-3 after voting by CAF executive comittee members in Cario, Egypt. South Africa withdrew their bid after winning the rights to host the 2010 World Cup.

The matches will be split between four host cities and venues (with three host cities in the south and one in the north of the country):

* Kumansi is Ghana’s second largest city, and the capital of the Ashanti Kingdom. It also holds Ghana’s largest stadium in The Baba Yara, with a capacity of 51500, which has been renovated for the tournament.

* Accra is Ghana’s largest city, and also the capital of the West African country. The capital will use the multi-puprose Ohene Djan for the tournament, which has a capacity of 40,000;

* Sekondi-Takoradi is the capital of the Western Region, and is Ghana’s third largest city. The Sekondi-Takorandi Stadium is currently under construction (with a completion date of early 2008), and when finished will hold 20,000 people;

* Tamale is the captial of the Northern Region, and it is the only host city from the north of the country. The Tamale Stadium has just finished being constructed, and has a capacity of 21,017.

Fifteen clubs qualified for the 2008 African Cup of Nations, after a gruelling qualifying campaign which took place between 2nd September, 2006, and 13th October, 2007, and Ghana qualified automatically as host nation. The sixteen participating teams were divided into four pots (according to past performances in the African Cup of Nations) on 19th October, 2007:

* Pot 1: Ghana (Group A), Egypt (Group C), Nigeria, and Tunisia;

* Pot 2: Camerooon, Côte d’Ivorie, Morrocco, and Senegal;

* Pot 3: Guinea, Mali, South Africa, and Zambia;

* Pot 4: Angola, Benin, Namibia, and Sudan.

Each group consists of four teams, one drawn from each of the pots:

* Group A: Ghana, Guinea, Morocco, and Namibia;

* Group B: Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Mali, and Nigeria;

* Group C: Cameroon, Egypt, Sudan, and Zambia;

* Group D: Angola, Senegal, South Africa, and Tunisia.

The opening match will take place on Sunday 20th January, 2008, and will see hosts and four times winners Ghana take on minnows Guinea.

Group A: Host nation Ghana (with four titles) have been drawn in a relatively easy group alongside Guinea, Morocco (with one title), and Namibia. Traditional powerhouses Ghana and Morocco are expected to qualify from the group, but Guinea have been singled out by Ghana coach Claude Le Roy (as he rates them highly), and Namibia are the groups dark-horses (and could spring a surprise in the group and cause an upset).

Group B: For some reason every tournament always has a group of death, and if you are looking for one in this tournament, then look no further then this group. Benin are seen as the groups underdogs, but there are three potential tournament winners in this group in Nigeria (with two titles), Côte d’Ivorie (with one title), and Mali. All are considered as some of the strongest sides on the continent.

Group C: Reigning champions Egypt (with five titles), and Cameroon (with four titles) are expected to qualify from the group, but there has been a resurgence in Sudanese football recently, and they could cause an upset in the group. Zambia will have to put in a performance of a lifetime in order to qualify from the group.

Group D: Any two of Tunisia (with one title), Angola, Senegal, and South Africa (with one title) can qualify (pardon the pun) as it is the most wide open group in the tournament. Each nation is currently in transitional period and will use this tournament to test their new look squads, and use it as a springboard for the 2010 World Cup qualifiers.

I have created a sticky thread (as promised on the SM Blog) leading to the build-up of the tournament, and also to cover the duration of the 26th edition of the African Cup of Nations.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tom_WBA's Guide to The 2008 African Cup of Nations Spent ages on this, and having the right sources I have come up with a guide for the Group Stages. Group A to D will be on Seperate Posts or it's j

Re: Tom_WBA's Guide to The 2008 African Cup of Nations Group D: Angola Senegal South Africa Tunisia Fixtures: January 23, 2008: Tunisia v Senegal South Africa v Angola January 27, 2008: Se

Re: Tom_WBA's Guide to The 2008 African Cup of Nations Group C: Cameroon Egypt Sudan Zambia Fixtures: January 22, 2008: Egypt v Cameroon Sudan v Zambia January 26. 2008: Cameroon v Zambia

Guest SM Dev (Ste)

Re: Ghana 2008 - African Cup of Nations

I will post confirmed squads (with links) once they have been announced, and would welcome any help :) .

Please can this thread be kept sensible and try not to spam it :rolleyes: .

My vote is for Ivory Coast slightly over Ghana to win it, and not just because they are the hot pick. Their midfield and back line looks like the best, and that's not even considering Drogba/Kalou/Sanogo/Kone...

Nigeria has some teams issues even though they have good talent. I don't seem them gelling well.

If Essien is healthy, Ghana does have a great chance of winning because they are the host team.

Ivory coast lost to Austria recently (who are ranked around 100th) so I doubt they can win it. I'd go for Nigeria' date=' Egypt or Senegal.[/quote']

Was Ivory Coast at full strength or at least near full strength for that match? If they were, thats very surprising!

Tom_WBA's Guide to The 2008 African Cup of Nations

Spent ages on this, and having the right sources I have come up with a guide for the Group Stages.

Group A to D will be on Seperate Posts or it's just too big ;)

Group A:

Ghana

Guinea

Morocco

Namibia

Fixtures:

January 20, 2008:

Ghana v Guinea

January 21, 2008:

Namibia v Morocco

January 24, 2008:

Guinea v Morocco

Ghana v Namibia

January 28, 2008

Ghana v Morocco

Guinea v Namibia

My Predictions:

January 20, 2008:

Ghana 2-0 Guinea

January 21, 2008:

Namibia 0-1 Morocco

January 24, 2008:

Guinea 1-2 Morocco

Ghana 3- 0 Namibia

January 28, 2008

Ghana 2-1 Morocco

Guinea 0-0 Namibia

Ghana: Are looking to win their 5th African Nation Cup Title, are hosting this Competition.

Star Player: Michael Essien

Watch Out For: André Ayew

My Comment: Ghana prefer to play on the Wings and dominate any African midfield with Essien and Appiah, but Appiah is missing the Competition, the midfield will struggle without him.

Morocco: Their 13th appearance, have won 1 African Nation Cup Title.

Star Player: Youssef Safri

Watch Out For: Abderrahman Kabous

My Comment: Prefer to Play a defensive mind, conceding the least goals the last competition. But with Safri missing the qualifiers, the defensive mind will be low.

Guinea: Their 9th appearance, yet to win the African Nation Cup.

Star Player: Pablo Thiam

Watch Out For: Ismael Bangoura

My Comment: They have a good squad, except they have no co-operation with each other, have been known to have brawls between own players.

Namibia: Their 2nd appearance, yet to win the African Nation Cup.

Star Player: Robert Nauseb

Watch Out For: Floris Diergaardt

My Comment: They pulled off a shock qualifying and will not go through imo.

Re: Tom_WBA's Guide to The 2008 African Cup of Nations

Group B:

Benin

Cote d'Ivoire

Mali

Nigeria

Fixtures:

January 21, 2008:

Nigeria v Ivory Coast

Mali v Benin

January 25, 2008:

Ivory Coast v Benin

Nigeria v Mali

January 29, 2008:

Nigeria v Benin

Ivory Coast v Mali

My Predictions:

January 21, 2008:

Nigeria 2-2 Ivory Coast

Mali 2-0 Benin

January 25, 2008:

Ivory Coast 2-0 Benin

Nigeria 1-1 Mali

January 29, 2008:

Nigeria 3-1 Benin

Ivory Coast 2-1 Mali

Benin: 2nd Appearance in the African Nations Cup, yet to win the Title.

Star Player: Oumar Tchomogo

Watch Out For: Romuald Boco

My Comment: Benin pulled a shock to the whole of Africa by qualifying. Will struggle in the "Group of Death"

Ivory Coast: Their 17th appearance and could hopefully add to there 1 title this Competition.

Star Player: Didier Drogba

Watch Out For: Salomon Kalou

My Comment: Will win the "Group of Death" but will miss Drogba as he will only be fit in the final if they reach there.

Nigeria: 15th Appearance in the Cup, won it twice.

Star Player: Yakubu Aiyegbeni

Watch Out For: Taye Taiwo

My Comment: Will be a tight decision between Nigeria and Mali, but Nigeria will just edge it.

Mali: 5th Appearance, have not won it yet.

Star Player: Frederic Kanoute

Watch Out For: Momo Sissoko

My Comment: Have a good squad, just not good enough to Qualify against the likes of Ghana and Nigeria.

Group C:

Cameroon

Egypt

Sudan

Zambia

Fixtures:

January 22, 2008:

Egypt v Cameroon

Sudan v Zambia

January 26. 2008:

Cameroon v Zambia

Egypt v Sudan

January 30, 2008:

Cameroon v Sudan

Egypt v Sudan

My Predictions:

January 22, 2008:

Egypt 1-1 Cameroon

Sudan 0-0 Zambia

January 26. 2008:

Cameroon 2-0 Zambia

Egypt 2-1 Sudan

January 30, 2008:

Cameroon 3-1 Sudan

Egypt 0-0 Zambia

Cameroon: There 15th appearance, won 4 titles.

Star Player: Samuel Eto'o

Watch Out For: Jean Makoun

My Comment: Cameroon will come 2nd in this Group. They have a good attacking mind but defensive is poor.

Egypt: 21st Appearance, 5 titles. Winner of the last African Nation Cup.

Star Player: Essam El-Hadary

Watch Out For: Mohamed Shawky

My Comment: Egypt will win the Group, they have a keen eye for goal whilst their Back 4 is lethal.

Sudan: 7th Appearance, Won 1 title.

Star Player: Richard Gastin Lado

Watch Out For: Hamouda Ahmed El Bashir

My Comment: Totally attacking minded when they barely score, defense if shocking. Will have a hard time.

Zambia: 13th Appearance, yet to win the Cup.

Star Player: Kennedy Mweene

Watch Out For: Christopher Katongo

My Comment: They will come 3rd in the Group, will find it hard to defend as Moses Sichone is injured.

Group D:

Angola

Senegal

South Africa

Tunisia

Fixtures:

January 23, 2008:

Tunisia v Senegal

South Africa v Angola

January 27, 2008:

Senegal v Angola

Tunisia v South Africa

January 31, 2008:

Senegal v South Africa

Tunisia v Angola

My Predictions:

January 23, 2008:

Tunisia 1-1 Senegal

South Africa 2-0 Angola

January 27, 2008:

Senegal 3-2 Angola

Tunisia 2-1 South Africa

January 31, 2008:

Senegal 1-1 South Africa

Tunisia 2-0 Angola

Tunisia: 13th Appearance, Won 1 Title.

Star Player: Kaies Ghodhbane

Watch Out For: Yassine Chikhaoui

My Comment: Should win the Group with heavy competition from South Africa and Senegal.

Senegal: 11th Appearance, Have not yet won the Cup.

Star Player: El Hadji Diouf

Watch Out For: Babacar Guèye

My Comment: Have a good Attacking side, but need to tighten up the defence. 2nd in the Group.

South Africa: 7th Appearance, Won 1 Title.

Star Player: Benni McCarthy

Watch Out For: Steven Pienaar

My Comment: Good side, but will just miss out from Senegal and Tunisia.

Angola: 4th Appearance, have not won the Cup yet.

Star Player: Jamba

Watch Out For: Manucho Goncalves

My Comment: Have prepared well, but not well enough to beat the other 3 class African Teams, last in Group.

Guest SM Dev (Ste)

I have just created a sticky thread under Player Ratings in relation to this tournament. Feel free to discuss a players performance on that thread when I open it in a week or two :) (and also read the please note at the bottom to save any confusion).

I am also going to merge Tom_WBA thread on the tournament with this one to try and save duplicate threads. The more info everyone has on the tournament the better it will be all round ;) .