Sign in to follow this  
Hesse

How to be a "Good Manager"?

I have noticed after my first ten weeks on the forums that there seems to be a lot of kudos given to "Good Managers" in SM, especially when people look to start up their own setups.

The question is; "What makes a good SM Manager?". The answer of course is it is down to the beholder.

So what I have decided to do, to see if I can be regarded as a "Good Manager" is take over a team in a World Championship that I regard as having been "mismanaged", and over as a period of time, drag them kicking and screaming to their rightful place; challenging for major honours.

I will use this thread to report how I go about this, each step of the way, and I will let you decide if I am a good manager. If nothing else it might give new players a chance to see how it can be done, and then make their own way in the game rather then caving to rely on the forums more experienced members to effectively manage their teams, by giving them constant advice on who to buy, where to play them etc. So here we go.....

I have chosen Arsenal currently languishing midtable in Division 2 of a well established and what appears to be a very competitive World Championship. I will not reveal at this stage which one, and would ask you not to guess as this may tarnish the results of my "experiment"; all will be revealed in due course.

To be more precise, they are in fact 13th with 17 points from 13 games, 8 points off of the top. And here is the squad I have to work with at the moment: (if somebody can tell me how to insert proper screenshots I would be really appreciative!):o

Info Nat Player Pos Age Rt Con Morale SM Val Chair Val

BUFFON, Gianluigi G 29 96 97 Superb £9.2M £25.8M

POUPLIN, Simon G 22 88 100 Poor £6.4M £4.5M

COLE, Ashley LB 27 93 41 Superb £8.5M £18.8M

LAHM, Philipp LB/RB 24 93 39 Superb £9.7M £27.0M

CAMPBELL, Sol CB 33 91 100 Superb £3.5M £4.5M

WOODGATE, Jonathan CB 27 91 100 Average £7.1M £11.1M

JALIENS, Kew CB/RB 29 90 48 Superb £5.6M £5.0M

SENDEROS, Philippe CB 22 88 100 V.Good £6.4M £5.8M

HUTH, Robert CB 23 87 100 Superb £5.6M £4.8M

JOAO LEONARDO, Paulo CB 22 85 34 Okay £4.5M £3.4M

DOWNING, Stewart LM 23 89 31 Excellent £6.9M £10.7M

IZMAILOV, Marat RM/AM 25 87 100 Poor £5.3M £4.4M

GILBERTO SILVA, Aparecido da CM/DM 31 93 100 Excellent £6.1M £9.6M

MATUZALEM, Francelino CM/RM 27 90 80 Superb £6.5M £10.4M

GRAVESEN, Thomas CM 31 88 100 Good £3.8M £3.3M

GENTNER, Christian CM/RM 22 87 100 V.Good £5.8M £5.4M

JAVI MARTÍNEZ, Aguinaga CM/AM 19 87 100 Excellent £6.3M £7.2M

ALDONIN, Evgeni DM/CM 27 89 41 V.Good £5.9M £5.5M

IVANSCHITZ, Andreas AM/LM 24 88 100 Excellent £6.1M £5.4M

ROSINEI, Adolfo AM/RM 24 87 83 Poor £5.4M £4.5M

BARNETTA, Tranquillo W 22 89 76 Adequate £7.2M £11.0M

MILNER, James W 21 88 100 Superb £6.6M £8.6M

TOTTI, Francesco F/AM 31 96 37 Superb £7.6M £23.0M

VAN PERSIE, Robin F/W 24 92 26 Good £8.9M £17.9M

KERZHAKOV, Aleksandr F 25 91 35 Good £7.9M £10.7M

HELDER POSTIGA, Manuel F 25 89 64 Superb £6.5M £6.9M

BANGOURA, Ismael F 22 88 100 Average £6.4M £5.2M

CARLOS ALBERTO, Gomes F/AM 23 88 50 Excellent £6.3M £5.0M

Senior Squad Summary

Number of Players Average Rating Average Age Average Value Total Value Average Wage Total Wages

26 89 25 £6.5M £170.4M £36,134 £939,500

Now, I will admit that I have rather a lot of cash from a team that has quite clearly been asset stripped (about £127 million), but this league is seriously dripping in cash, so this is not as big an advantage as it looks!

So the plan is, strip back the dead wood, invest in youth and get in the stars of tomorrow. I will keep my transfer dealings a secret until such time as a deal has gone through.

Next time.......tactics for the first game and transfer dealings.....................

Re: How to be a "Good Manager"?

Hey mate managing Arsenal in your scenario wouldn't be hard to then finish top 3. There hasn't been many games and the team is still pretty good and with loads of money. If your a gold member, try a gold championship, people will admit that winning a trophy there is respected.

Re: How to be a "Good Manager"?

Hey mate managing Arsenal in your scenario wouldn't be hard to then finish top 3. There hasn't been many games and the team is still pretty good and with loads of money. If your a gold member' date=' try a gold championship, people will admit that winning a trophy there is respected.[/quote']

I will be joining the new Gold 10 today. This isn't about respect, because quite frankly I enjoy the game for what it is. It's more about giving new managers a possible reference point. I could have taken a low league side and took them through the divisions, but that is what I am doing with my first ever team (Brentford in EC4), and as far as I am concerned I have done that. I would blog my experiences in the Gold Champs, but given that Gold 10 will be my first experience of this I wanted to concentrate on it without reporting the minutest details of the experience.

A top 3 finish is certainly realistic for Arsenal in this division, but I'm not looking at this project being a one season wonder. I am looking at making this team the best in the set-up and fully sustainable by it's self. Just please let the project get off the ground before letting loose with the critisism.:(